Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:30:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make sure Bitcoin will never be banned by governments!  (Read 7579 times)
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 04:39:37 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2011, 03:41:25 PM by MemoryDealers

In tonight's Bitcoin Brainstorming session,  we came up with an idea to make sure Bitcoin will never be banned by governments.
Rather than having Bitcoin be known as the currency of online drug pushers and gamblers,  we need to have it be known as the currency of charitable donations.

Lets make sure that the
Red Cross
United Way
The Humane Society
and more

accept bitcoins for donations.

If lots of great charities like these use Bitcoins for fundraising,  no politician would ever dare to ban them!

A great example of a charity that is already accepting bitcoin donations is http://epicchange.org/donate.php

To get this started,  I suggest we contact the the United Way and offer to make a $10,000 USD Donation via bitcoins
as soon as they list on their website their Bitcoin donation address.

Bruce Wagner of onlyonetv.com has agreed to hold the funds in escrow until we reach $10,000 worth of BTC.
MemoryDealers.com will donate $5,000 of the $10,000 so we only need the community to come up with the other half.
Once it is listed on the charity's website, Bruce will send out a press release to all the media contacts he has.
It should make major news headlines as well!

If you think this is a good idea,  please send your Bitcoins to: 1CEmUakCaR71BmELWJPg72QRYzUqEddNm6  (this is stored on MTGOX)

Please let us know if you have any additional ideas on how to make this plan even better.

--------------------August 30th update----------------
Thank you for all the comments and feedback.
If you don't think the United Way is a worthy charity,  please don't donate.
Instead contact your favorite charity and ask them to directly accept Bitcoin donations on their website. 
Mention the success that Epic Change has had with bitcoin donations.  The more charities that accept Bitcoin the better,  but I suspect that if the biggest charity in the USA accepts Bitcoin donations,  the rest of them will quickly follow.

If everyone who has read this thread so far had donated $6 worth of Bitcoins,  we would already have the other $5000 to make this a reality.
Ask yourself,  "Is $6 worth the major national news attention Bitcoin would receive if United Way listed Bitcoin as a donation method on their website?"
"Do I want the world to think of helping orphans, cute puppies,  and those in need when they hear about Bitcoins?"

If your answer is "YES!"  then send your $6 worth of BTC NOW to:  1CEmUakCaR71BmELWJPg72QRYzUqEddNm6

It is easy!  Just do it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:41:25 PM

I am Bruce Wagner, and I approve this message.    Wink
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:43:17 PM

I'd like to see SPCA's accept bitcoin donations.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:48:13 PM

That's a nice idea

bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 04:54:40 PM

I really like this idea! Grin

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 05:02:45 PM

We already have our first donation!
Please send your donations now!

1CEmUakCaR71BmELWJPg72QRYzUqEddNm6

Thanks everyone!

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:10:32 PM

Good idea.. but some people (e.g me) are quite particular about which charities they'll support.

I like to make sure they're secular so I know the money's not going to supporting some preacher somewhere for example.

I'm sure for some people it's the reverse Tongue

Once it's set up so there is a donation address for specific charities - it should be good..   but..   who does the ultimate donation appear to come from?
I'm not saying anyone here would do this.. but an intermediary could treat the donation as their own for tax reduction purposes.. which would be a bit off!

Is it too early to try to convince individual charities to accept it directly?

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:19:21 PM

To get this started,  I suggest we contact the the United Way and offer to make a $10,000 USD Donation via bitcoins
as soon as they list on their website their Bitcoin donation address.

Bruce Wagner of onlyonetv.com has agreed to hold the funds in escrow until we reach $10,000 worth of BTC.
MemoryDealers.com will donate $5,000 of the $10,000 so we only need the community to come up with the other half.
Once it is listed on the charity's website, Bruce will send out a press release to all the media contacts he has.

If you think this is a good idea,  please send your Bitcoins to: 1CEmUakCaR71BmELWJPg72QRYzUqEddNm6
Nice idea, and very generous from you.

Please let us know if you have any additional ideas on how to make this plan even better.
Maybe this would be better if it where $1000 every month, otherwise they could see this as a *onetime* special way to donate and remove it after they received it. And charities also loves getting regular donations. Albeit the number would not be that "press friendly" anymore.
PiGames

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:29:10 PM

Interesting Idea, but what about the tax implications?
I donate to charities annually; I like the tax credit.
I dont see anyway of doing this while donating with bitcoins...just a miner (pun) issue =)
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 05:35:09 PM

Good idea.. but some people (e.g me) are quite particular about which charities they'll support.
Is it too early to try to convince individual charities to accept it directly?

I agree,  so we tried to chose the least controversial charity possible.
If anyone can suggest a less controversial one, but equally well known,  now is the time.

I think asking EVERY charity and business that you intend to pay to accept bitcoins is a great idea TODAY!

That brings me to my next idea that I will post about tomorrow.

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 05:58:12 PM

Interesting Idea, but what about the tax implications?
I donate to charities annually; I like the tax credit.
I dont see anyway of doing this while donating with bitcoins...just a miner (pun) issue =)

Perhaps a good way for the bitcoin community to 'donate' to these charities - is to donate the time and tech skills to help set them up with a solution which allows them to give a receipt in local currency equivalent ( or optionally just donate anonymously).

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 06:51:29 PM

I wholly support you and your actions and efforts, but I think it's a mistake to think you can do anything to keep government from regulating bitcoins. Governments like the US will be hard pressed to get rid of something like encrypted numbers. To outlaw bitcoin would only mean we have to change the name of bitcoin, really. You cannot outlaw numbers.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:10:02 PM

You cannot outlaw numbers.
Welcome to the real world

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:25:47 PM

Great idea and awesome donation from you!
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:28:00 PM

Information is not illegal.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:37:12 PM

This really is a terrific idea from a bunch of perspectives and is a win/win/win to me.  So I just did a trail donation.

- supports good efforts

- supports bitcoin

- supports people coordinating efforts (*)

* I don't give a damn about tax write-offs personally and am willing to eat tax losses as a cost of doing business in a $$-centric world (but I am deeply sorry about the Pakistani villagers I am murdering by remote control Sad )  If any organization has the get-up-and-go and the general decency to coordinate such an effort, they have my expressed permission to claim any tax write-off they can get after converting the BTC I donated to state-sponsored currencies.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 07:37:54 PM

Information is not illegal.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110615/14240014708/us-trying-to-extradite-uk-tvshack-admin-over-questionable-copyright-charges.shtml

On topic: This is a great initiative. I assume it's the world wide and not only the US branch of United Way?
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:48:07 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2011, 11:01:55 PM by Otoh

If you think this is a good idea,  please send your Bitcoins to: 1CEmUakCaR71BmELWJPg72QRYzUqEddNm6

um, how about perhaps not to use 'Bruce & all the media contacts he has' - not

from the BitCon pump & dump site:

http://bitcoinme.com/index.php/bitcon-2011/

Wall to Wall Major Global Media

Some of the media outlets who have said they will be here include:

CNN International
    Al Jazeera English
    Blomberg Television
    Wall Street Journal
    The New York Observer
    BusinessWeek
    Wired Magazine
    SmarterMoney
    NPR
    Forbes
    Fortune
    CNN / Money
    The Atlantic
    Radio Australia
    Freedomain Radio

Was there even a single peep from any of these?

Only hype & BS brought to you by

1 or 2 simply awful 13 year old child posters from Pattaya & their pedo bears

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 10:02:47 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2011, 10:13:48 PM by GoWest

Donated!

Bruce, don't let the buggers get you down.

dustintrammell
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 10:50:34 PM

I'm sorry, and nothing personal to Bruce, but just because he's one of the most prominent celebrities in the Bitcoin communitiy does not a good escrow make.  Consider the fact that he just lost half of his 25k BTC holdings that he had in MyBitcoin, an online wallet service.  He currently doesn't have the best track record for holding on to large amounts of value and knowing where to securely put it.  You may want to consider an actual escrow service, or a Bitcoin-centric entity with a more solid track record, like perhaps one of the exchanges.

Also, there are two separate Bitcoin charity organizations that I'm aware of thus far, perhaps you could involve one of them:

http://www.bitcoin-charity.com/

http://bitcoinsforcharity.org/

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: