Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:14:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Solcoin [SOL]  (Read 33072 times)
Solcoin Project (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 01:48:56 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 05:04:24 PM by Solcoin Project

Someone outside these forums asked a few technical questions out of curiosity, regarding network co-mingling, the genesis block and so on, and we thought we'd give the answers here for anyone else who might be interested:

Our client is based on the Litecoin sources (v0.8.6.1 to be specific), which stopped using IRC for node announcements/exchanging in an update made to Litecoin many months ago. The IRC exchange was where the risk of network co-mingling occurred for altcoins that hadn't changed their so-called "message start" parameter to be different from that of other coins. We have a unique "message start" for our coin, just for the sake of being proper, so even if the IRC exchange feature had still been in use Solcoin would not be at risk of co-mingling with other cryptocurrency networks.

The genesis block took 3 (!) days to generate due to the relatively high initial network difficulty we chose for the coin. It was done in a race condition setup on a slow-ish 3.16 GHz Core 2 Duo by running two separate instances of the daemon, each having a different nonce. The relatively high difficulty of 0.1 was chosen to lessen the risk of instant forking in case too many people would start mining at the same time. We noticed how easily this happened during the launch of Mooncoin, whose nodes and pools were instantly hammered beyond smooth use, partly due to its very low difficulty and partly due to all the anticipation that the authors had built up by announcing the coin with a future deadline, allowing for a huge gathering to line up for the launch. This is good marketing, and they succeeded very well in this aspect of their launch. We chose to make no grande announcement in order to have curious miners trickle in on the network one by one to slowly but steadily establish a single true blockchain, and it worked out perfectly. Part of the reason is obviously that we're not exactly suffering a huge influx of miners and interest in our cryptocurrency Tongue

The name and the geist of the coin is obviously inspired by Mooncoin. Someone has probably already figured out the few symbolic numbers present, as they represent geometry in general and the geometry of the Sun: 696 342 000 total coins is the radius of the Sun in meters. 1772 coins reward is the square root of pi without decimal tokens. 3.14 minute block targets... pi again. The symbol of the coin - the circle with a disc inside - is the astronomical symbol of the Sun.

So, what else...... We contacted CoinEX and Cryptsy today about an intro, and will post updates when/if they get back to us. Still working on the lottery and the faucet on our spare time, which currently is meager to say the least, but keep calm and keep your panties on; we're getting there sooner or later.

Authors of [SOL] Solcoin - http://www.solcoin.net/ - service at solcoin dot net
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tabnk

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:01:17 PM

8ZPfqb3dyQrT82QpmosdjNvRn9DpU8JitK

Smiley Smiley Smiley
tabnk

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:13:33 PM

I'm WTS 3544 SOL for 0.08 BTC.

PM me.  Grin
tabnk

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:18:31 AM

I'm want to sell 10,000 SOL for 0.35 BTC,

Buy it now before reach exchange with SKY ROCKET PRICE.
tabnk

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:22:41 AM

Developer any update ?

I'm have mined lot of coin near 500,000 SOL
Solcoin Project (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 11:05:18 PM

Developer any update ?

So far no response from neither CoinEX nor Cryptsy. No "yes", no "no", the request is still pending awaiting their attention.

minecrew

Activity: 224

MineCrew

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:07:47 PM

Your coin is great!

We mine it. It would be great if you create a Facebook page for news. Wish your coin to be on trades like CoinEX very soon.  Smiley
Benezivas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:13:27 PM

Developer any update ?

So far no response from neither CoinEX nor Cryptsy. No "yes", no "no", the request is still pending awaiting their attention.

To be honest -  I don't think that any of these two will accept it yet. Sure, your coin had a smooth launch and seems fair from the looks of it, but it won't have any trade volume at this moment, which is the main reason for an exchange to pick up a coin. Care about some promotion, get the word around.
cflocation

Activity: 327

it's a hardware thing!

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:24:56 PM

Great coin Thanks!

Solo mining is still very easy.
minecrew

MineCrew

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:32:54 PM

To be honest -  I don't think that any of these two will accept it yet. Sure, your coin had a smooth launch and seems fair from the looks of it, but it won't have any trade volume at this moment, which is the main reason for an exchange to pick up a coin. Care about some promotion, get the word around.

I agree. All coins need promotion. There will be no interest for trade platforms before coin will become popular. If CoinEX, for example, will accept your coin, there will be no trades id people don't have this coins. So what's the reason...
cflocation

it's a hardware thing!

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:35:14 PM

I agree. All coins need promotion. There will be no interest for trade platforms before coin will become popular. If CoinEX, for example, will accept your coin, there will be no trades id people don't have this coins. So what's the reason...

That's for sure. We do need to get more promotion out there and a website would be nice Smiley
Solcoin Project (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 11:39:02 PM

We definitely underestimated the amount of preparation we could have needed to get this currency off with good speed. It had a smooth and bump-free start as per our designs, but it certainly did not pick up as fast as we wanted it to. Having it introduced onto the markets is one step of the promotion plan, but we realize we also need to get the word out there, and get some faucets and coin games going as well.

Some users are getting the impression that we have abandoned the currency and left the coin to die - this is absolutely not the case. We're not leaving this project, but we can't seem to get things going quite as fast as we want as the two of us developing this currency both have daytime jobs to tend to as our first priority. While our work progresses slowly and with the looming chances of an unearthly marketing campaign being required, we're doing what we can with the time we have in order to reach these goals, be it sooner or later.

Any help and advice on PR and marketing is appreciated.

minecrew

MineCrew

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:48:38 PM

Some users are getting the impression that we have abandoned the currency and left the coin to die - this is absolutely not the case. We're not leaving this project, but we can't seem to get things going quite as fast as we want as the two of us developing this currency both have daytime jobs to tend to as our first priority. While our work progresses slowly and with the looming chances of an unearthly marketing campaign being required, we're doing what we can with the time we have in order to reach these goals, be it sooner or later.

But now we are mining. Hope to mine millions of coins before everybody will come. Grin I see that coin is not abandoned now. Wish you goodluck with SOL! I would like to see Facebook page as I writed - it would be good for start.
cflocation

it's a hardware thing!

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 12:04:55 AM

Who is doing the website? I can help if needed

Thanks
Solcoin Project (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 12:21:52 AM

Thanks

We still haven't decided on if a dedicated page is necessary or if it will just fragment the sources for information even more, instead of keeping all information in a single familiar place. Maybe we could use the initial wordpress page (http://solcoin.wordpress.com/) or use Facebook as suggested by user minecrew, in order to easier connect with people and allow them to comment and share information. Your help is appreciated, and if you have any suggestions please post - nothing is set in stone here, we're open for all options and offers.

cflocation

it's a hardware thing!

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 12:40:09 AM

Thanks

We still haven't decided on if a dedicated page is necessary or if it will just fragment the sources for information even more, instead of keeping all information in a single familiar place. Maybe we could use the initial wordpress page (http://solcoin.wordpress.com/) or use Facebook as suggested by user minecrew, in order to easier connect with people and allow them to comment and share information. Your help is appreciated, and if you have any suggestions please post - nothing is set in stone here, we're open for all options and offers.

I am pretty new to the altcoin game TBH but I personally look for certain things about a coin and 1 of them is a website that has some attention to detail. If the coin is to be taken seriously then there has to be some sort of reasoning behind it.

I started mining today cause your logo, name and the ease of setup. Seems silly but the name and logo are very catchy. If you want I can put some initial designs together and we can go from there.

I also have servers at rackspace I can use to host the site if needed.

Thanks
Solcoin Project (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 01:23:14 AM

I am pretty new to the altcoin game TBH but I personally look for certain things about a coin and 1 of them is a website that has some attention to detail. If the coin is to be taken seriously then there has to be some sort of reasoning behind it.

I started mining today cause your logo, name and the ease of setup. Seems silly but the name and logo are very catchy. If you want I can put some initial designs together and we can go from there.

I also have servers at rackspace I can use to host the site if needed.

Thanks

Not at all silly. While we dropped the ball bigtime on marketing, both of us understand the importance of brand appeal through the geist it communicates, and we'd like to think we did a good and humble job on the logo design and the name as well as the technical details behind the currency (the reference to the sun, its astrological symbol, its geometry, the block rewards etc.), without being too pretentious by sprinkling silly lingo and inflated descriptions around. We'd be happy to check out anything you put together, and really kind of you to offer hosting space as well. You can privmsg here on this forum or post designs publically in this thread if you so prefer.

As for any cryptocurrency, any contribution from the community helps the community grow. Just as for the mining, any other resource that people help out with, the bigger the chances are of this coin going places.

tabnk

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:43:49 PM

GREAT !!!!  D
roundrobin

Activity: 203

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:05:57 AM

Back to mining SOL for me in anticipation that you guys will spread the word and market it. Think I want to have 300-400,000 SOL in case. Since it's easy pickings still and all, good moment to mine up.

LTC: Lbha3tRmE75oHfF4SjSKpxVK2fY9PxrPUX         VTC: VguAuTdGRcQzihEgrJDYPYUuugGMMGFCNn
   FTC: 6fVWQ3eHhhgH1haqThQbxTFV8XjrqyuKY2          SOL: 8X6dLCY8MeZ6RNdBxzYQkd5kxWj8VVPJmL
DOGE: DMBQta9ME9cWnRPVXtEbi57CDk1uNpwzSh
Solcoin Project (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2014, 03:25:03 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 03:50:30 AM by Solcoin Project

We've put a request up at Cryptsy's support forum for having the coin introduced on their exchange. Please do "sign" the request if you're interested in trading your SOLs: https://cryptsy.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/74146

Still no response from CoinEX, Coins-e or CoinedUP.

cflocation, how are your design ideas for a website coming along?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: