Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:44:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: {BFL} Here's a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK at your Monarch!  (Read 46461 times)
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 03:09:14 AM

Flaming Dog Poo Fairy?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wrb2010

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 02:56:11 AM

Ok, thoughts:

1) Clean off the areas the water got on (it's water and propolyne glycol) with 95% isopropyl alcohol (good rubbing alcohol, at the CVS). Use a paper towel soaked with it, then q tip. That will clean off the stuff, don't knock off those little heat sinks.

2) The screws that hold on the water block to the copper plate are *under* the copper plate, so you would have to take it off the chip to tighten the right screws. When you take it off you will see them, tighten them down and make sure they are snug, but not insanely tight (or you will strip them).

When you take the block off the board and chips, you will have to clean off and re-apply the heat sink compound.

I like Artic silver 5, the grey stuff. Clean the old stuff off the sink and the chip with a paper towel with alcohol again. Do not get it on the sides of the chip, wipe it so it comes right off the chip itself. Then follow the instructions in the AS 5 thing to put new stuff on. A thin coat is all one needs, I put a thin trace on the chip, then clean my finger with isopropyl and use my finger to spread it on the chip evenly. Once again don't go over the sides of the chip but get to the edges.

Then I put a thin smudge on the heat sink plate itself and put it back on. Put the screws in loosely at first, the put them back on and tighten them in a 4 cross pattern (1,3,2,4,1,3,2,4) a little each time. Remember if you tighten down one side all the way then the other, it could crack the chip edge. Finger tight, enough so that with your fingers gently squeezing the screwdriver you snug the screws down.

Then the three or two outside screws, they provide structural stability which is nice.

Now time to fire up. Start up the unit and keep your dry finger on the back behind each chip. If it gets hot to the touch shut down *IMMEDIATELY* and purge. If it runs hashing for 5 minutes and is not hot to the touch (100 degrees is about what I would say is getting hot) then you probably do not need to purge.

If you need to purge:

Well, you have to pull one of the hoses from the radiator, then fill it with the pumps running. Bit complex. What I did was replace a hose from the pumps to the radiator. Put both the radiator and the hose in a bucket, immerse them and start up. Stuff will come out of one of them and be sucked in the other. Lift the one that it's coming out out of the water and run it until there are no bubbles. Then put both back in the bucket while it's running and complete the connection. That way you have no air going into the system and it will work.

Fun, but do-able. Make sense?

C
Honestly, that is way out of my comfort zone. Its defiantly not leaking any more. When I plug in the monarchs to the PSU I hear that electric buzzing sound like a short. Then the PSU kicks off only way I can restart the psu is to remove paper clip and put back in. The connections on the monarch look good and it does it on both my 525 and 700 monarch. I've mixed and match PSU to my other two monarchs and its not the PSU. Thanks for your help.
sbogovac
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1192

I don't believe in denial.

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:36:02 AM

[...] Honestly, that is way out of my comfort zone. Its defiantly not leaking any more. [...]

Well... Once it runs out of fluids, it "won't leak" definitely...

0x7442A5c37E513D335F53843cD20c00F77eAC7867
wrb2010

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:04:23 PM

[...] Honestly, that is way out of my comfort zone. Its defiantly not leaking any more. [...]

yes I'm well aware of that. But I do appreciate your imput. I'm sure I could figure how to add more fluid. I need someone with more knowledge about the boards. Maybe something simple I'm overlooking just not very experienced with this stuff.
sbogovac
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1192

I don't believe in denial.

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:20:36 PM

yes I'm well aware of that. [...] I need someone with more knowledge about the boards.[...]
More knowledge/experience on the Monarch board than lightfoot? Good luck...

0x7442A5c37E513D335F53843cD20c00F77eAC7867
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:51:39 PM

The simpler solution is to cut the hose and plumb in a real pump with an air reservoir/trap. That would do it too, just make sure your new pump runs in the same direction as the two on the Monarch board and still run the ones on the board (I think they would work best if all were running in the circuit).

Problem is the pumps in those units can't self-prime. They're not designed to. When they pump, they expect to pull water in and push water out. If there are air bubbles they will either cavitate or not be able to pull enough vacuum to prime.

Check out item number 111241824048 on Ebay for an example. Note the water above allows the air in the system to bubble out, and provides a hell of a lot of room for expansion (and it looks like a cute little bong).

That will do it. Hm. No, I will not think of ways to plumb a Monarch into a bong. Hm.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 10:49:05 PM

They use Asetek blocks, so if you don't want to bother with a custom loop you can probably just go buy a couple CLCs like the X40 or H55 and use that.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2014, 11:16:17 PM

They aren't Asetek, they are CoolIT.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 11:50:24 PM

They aren't Asetek, they are CoolIT.

Ack. My bad, sorry about that. Must have been looking at the 295x2 too much lately.
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 01:39:04 AM

Honestly, that is way out of my comfort zone. Its defiantly not leaking any more. When I plug in the monarchs to the PSU I hear that electric buzzing sound like a short. Then the PSU kicks off only way I can restart the psu is to remove paper clip and put back in. The connections on the monarch look good and it does it on both my 525 and 700 monarch. I've mixed and match PSU to my other two monarchs and its not the PSU. Thanks for your help.
If the psu kicks off like you said and these are the ones that leaked, I would bet that one of the FETs blew when the board overheated and pulled too much power.  If you have access to a multimeter, check the ohm reading on the PCIe connector(front row vs back row, not side to side) and see if it is nearly shorted (<.3 ohms).  A good unit will ramp up to several k ohm and then start back down.  The minimal ohms indicated a blown FET.  I'd say to RMA it, but I have no idea when it would be taken care of with the current situation...

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
wrb2010

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:32:18 AM

If the psu kicks off like you said and these are the ones that leaked, I would bet that one of the FETs blew when the board overheated and pulled too much power.  If you have access to a multimeter, check the ohm reading on the PCIe connector(front row vs back row, not side to side) and see if it is nearly shorted (<.3 ohms).  A good unit will ramp up to several k ohm and then start back down.  The minimal ohms indicated a blown FET.  I'd say to RMA it, but I have no idea when it would be taken care of with the current situation...
Thank you for that. I do appriciate the response. I'm thinking if Lightfoot's up to it I might be sending him some packages.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:47:03 AM

Sure. Pack them up USPS Priority Mail, as discussed payment is make a donation to a local food bank or soup kitchen. I'll post the findings and such on my "Hacking a BFL Monarch" thread, and a summary here just to close the loop.

C
ComaWombat

Activity: 89
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 12:39:20 PM

So I did what any crazy person would do and bought me another Monarch on wednesday. This time it was a regular auction on ebay. 230 pounds / 290 euros, so a tad cheaper than my first "550GH" unit.

The board seems to be a different revision. It's a "700 GH" model with a mini-usb connector (which the 550 GH model didn't have) next to the pci-e power connectors.

https://i.imgur.com/Itspqdq.jpg

The problem is that it's running too hot, above 80 C and the board starts throttling after only a few minutes of running. Power draw is 570 watts from the wall at 800 GH/s.

So it would be great to have a method to underclock this thing as I don't really need the extra GH/s with a bigger power draw and overheating.

By the way, Raspberry Pi with Raspbian OS and cgminer 4.6.1 seems to run two Monarchs just fine. CPU load is ~0.40.
bcp19

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 04:26:06 PM

So I did what any crazy person would do and bought me another Monarch on wednesday. This time it was a regular auction on ebay. 230 pounds / 290 euros, so a tad cheaper than my first "550GH" unit.

The board seems to be a different revision. It's a "700 GH" model with a mini-usb connector (which the 550 GH model didn't have) next to the pci-e power connectors.

The problem is that it's running too hot, above 80 C and the board starts throttling after only a few minutes of running. Power draw is 570 watts from the wall at 800 GH/s.

So it would be great to have a method to underclock this thing as I don't really need the extra GH/s with a bigger power draw and overheating.

By the way, Raspberry Pi with Raspbian OS and cgminer 4.6.1 seems to run two Monarchs just fine. CPU load is ~0.40.
If you have a board that is running at 800gh and pulling 570 watts, you are getting close to the limit for the PCIe connectors.  To try and cool it off I would recommend trying one or more of the following:  1) more powerful fan on the radiator (stock is ~.33-.5 amp, try to find a 1 amp or bigger)  2) point a fan at the VRM (the space between the pumps)  3) find a cooler location for the unit.  I'm curious, are you using BFGminer or CGminer?  I know there was talk of commandline underclocking of the units, but I don't know if either program has it implemented as yet.

Lassi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Burn the wings off those bastards.

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 04:40:27 PM

If you have a board that is running at 800gh and pulling 570 watts, you are getting close to the limit for the PCIe connectors.  To try and cool it off I would recommend trying one or more of the following:  1) more powerful fan on the radiator (stock is ~.33-.5 amp, try to find a 1 amp or bigger)  2) point a fan at the VRM (the space between the pumps)  3) find a cooler location for the unit.  I'm curious, are you using BFGminer or CGminer?  I know there was talk of commandline underclocking of the units, but I don't know if either program has it implemented as yet.

Did you ship SLok his units Bruce?

And Bruce did you help get Lightfoot his Monarch?

Now it's time for the FTC to put everything Butterfly Labs has done through the magnifying glass and then burn the wings off those bastards.
bcp19

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 04:46:22 PM

If you have a board that is running at 800gh and pulling 570 watts, you are getting close to the limit for the PCIe connectors.  To try and cool it off I would recommend trying one or more of the following:  1) more powerful fan on the radiator (stock is ~.33-.5 amp, try to find a 1 amp or bigger)  2) point a fan at the VRM (the space between the pumps)  3) find a cooler location for the unit.  I'm curious, are you using BFGminer or CGminer?  I know there was talk of commandline underclocking of the units, but I don't know if either program has it implemented as yet.

If you are not here to help with the issue present, please keep yur comments in the other thread.

Lassi

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 04:47:23 PM

No we want answers Bruce.

What have no interest in getting assets back for customers?

Now it's time for the FTC to put everything Butterfly Labs has done through the magnifying glass and then burn the wings off those bastards.
ElGrandJefe

Activity: 459
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 04:48:39 PM

If you are not here to help with the issue present, please keep yur comments in the other thread.
The questions you are being asked here are the same questions that you will be asked when you are subpoenaed, so you might as well practice your answers. The FTC hasn't even started with the detailed discovery.

Have you finished taking inventory of the part bins yet? Still going to work every day?
Lassi

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 04:48:57 PM

Am i just not used to this type of design, or does it really look jerryrigged?
It's Inaba-rigged. It is a whole new league of "Wow, WTF is that? Will it Work?"

Jerry rigs things with a [barely] respectable thought as to form and function.

Macgyver is crying in his basement right now after seeing this pic.

What was the purpose of this thread?

To help you sell BFL and Monarchs. No.

Go start your own support thread Bruce.

Lassi

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 04:50:47 PM

I am guessing the FTC will be asking you about the unit sold to Lightfoot and the units shipped to SLok.

Want to answer truthfully? Or just avoid the question like usual?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: