Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:05:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people think income tax is ok?  (Read 17827 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:52:38 AM

The power to tax is the power to destroy. I think income tax and property tax are just wrong. What do you think?

Garbage service, TV, fire departments, food, clothing, electricity.

your government uses your tax money to buy your cloths for you?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:17:50 AM

And if you are willing to pay for these services then you just essentially want to call taxes by something else or the government by something else. And what do you suggest as an alternative plan? Tell me how you would make this work? Why do people assume that just passing on the responsibility to someone else will solve all the problems as long as these people do not call themselves politicians or the government?

The plan is to pass the responsibility onto me. And you. Everyone.

First we get a money system that doesn't rip us off all day until we die (bitcoin, CHECK)

Then we've got more time on our hands to organise locally. We take a stake in our communities by making the decisions ourselves, not voting for someone who does that for us.

We organise all the local services we need ourselves. Contract a company to collect waste (like your local government do now). Contract a company to maintain the local roads. Contract a company to look after water and sewage. Get all people in the area to pay into a fund to get it done (easier when the value of money is no longer evaporating into bankers pockets on a daily basis). Use a bitcoin wallet with multi-signature, where it only gets spent when a minimum number of people will sign it off.

Choose staff for the local schools, police and hospitals yourself. Even if you're only choosing the managerial staff, at least then you've got more oversight and more input than you do now.

And all the people that are doing all this organising will get to know each other. They'll get to know strengths and weaknesses, biases and Huh. Then you'll know what's going on in your community, and where all the money went. You have no hope of anything like that from your local government now. And even the local government people get paid a tidy salary, this is such a waste when the only reason to have them there is that the sconomic system is tilted to keep everyone else too busy with their own day job.

And think about that, these people are professionals, literally dedicated to looking after running local amenities, and this is the best they can do? On their more than decent salaries? Come on. I think we (literally, WE) can do better.

Wouldn't that be just another form of government with direct democracy? And would everyone really have the time to go in-depth to all forms of services they need? And isn't getting people to pay in fund still taxation?

It is that. I'm trying to demonstrate that what we do right now isn't so rigid. And what system we could change to if we went self-governing tomorrow.

But it's perfectly possible for people to break out of that system, if they can look after their own services. If they can go 100% independent, then why would the rest of the locality care? Local government now doesn't want to become irrelevant, the politicians lose their jobs if so. But the people contributing to running their own community would take it as a sign that the day would come when they could forget their new (unpaid) role. So, I'm trying to illustrate a transition period, because it's no good telling people who can't get past the current system on an imaginitive level that we'll all become 100% self determined straight away, it's just too unrealistic no matter the scenario.

Vires in numeris
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:20:30 PM

The power to tax is the power to destroy. I think income tax and property tax are just wrong. What do you think?

Its ok if the government doesn't "waste" the taxes..
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:06:12 AM

Income tax should go as the government doesn't need to know how much you're making, but I understand property tax to maintain roads and organize basic emergency services. If income tax pays for schools, that's another reason for it to go. Public schools have failed everywhere.

Public schools have failed everywhere? Really...

Yes. There may be exceptions in Switzerland or South Korea, but in most countries, schools are terrible, mixing good kids with bad ones, and not teaching them what they need to learn to become responsible adults, but what national politicians or unions have chosen for them. At worst, that means turning them into puppets, and at best good citizens, but in all cases into people who would be totally unable to live outside the safe legal, and rigid environment of their home country.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:07:38 AM

mixing good kids with bad ones
That has to be a (bad) joke.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:43:48 AM

It's for good causes; without tax, nothing could ever get done.  Tax is a necessary evil when tax money is used for evil.  If I have to pay my taxes, so do you: what's fair is fair.  If you don't pay your taxes, X will suffer Y.  People who don't pay their taxes are selfish.

Something along those lines; it doesn't have to be logical to be a popular belief; as long as you fear it enough, you can believe in anything.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 08:01:25 AM

Yes, because clothes are a fundamental part of the economy. If people do not have clothes, nobody will go to work, people could get hypothermia and that puts a burden on the health care which is paid for by taxes. Nobody would go out and spend money which would destroy the retail industries.

Basically clothes are needed for an economy to exist.

Whenever someone gets the crazy idea of getting rid of taxes the first thing to come up is "what about the clothes?". Because only government can provide clothes. Imagine if corporations were in charge of clothes. We would all be at their mercy. A company could buy all of the clothes stores around you and refuse to let you buy from them, then you would be stuck at home, naked. What if people cannot afford clothes for work? How would they be able to go out and get a job with no clothes in the first place?

If you think clothes should be privatized you obviously hate the poor and the children and want them to be naked. Which also makes you a pedophile, you sick bastard.

If you do not like taxes then you are a pedophile.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:10:09 AM

Yes, because clothes are a fundamental part of the economy. If people do not have clothes, nobody will go to work, people could get hypothermia and that puts a burden on the health care which is paid for by taxes. Nobody would go out and spend money which would destroy the retail industries.

Basically clothes are needed for an economy to exist.

Whenever someone gets the crazy idea of getting rid of taxes the first thing to come up is "what about the clothes?". Because only government can provide clothes. Imagine if corporations were in charge of clothes. We would all be at their mercy. A company could buy all of the clothes stores around you and refuse to let you buy from them, then you would be stuck at home, naked. What if people cannot afford clothes for work? How would they be able to go out and get a job with no clothes in the first place?

If you think clothes should be privatized you obviously hate the poor and the children and want them to be naked. Which also makes you a pedophile, you sick bastard.

If you do not like taxes then you are a pedophile.

Hahahahha.

I'd really love it if some of these anti-government people could offer a working solution. I'd love to try it. I don't think they think things though half of the time.
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:15:16 AM

Hahahahha.

I'd really love it if some of these anti-government people could offer a working solution. I'd love to try it. I don't think they think things though half of the time.

I wouldn't. Taxes are needed because we live in partly capitalist society. It's not all bad, but it's not all good either. I know that it's very likely that I won't be at the top. So I don't want to end up like those outsourced workers... Many forms of taxation are needed to provide the services.

So, I'm selfish and believe income tax is better for me and majority than no tax... Because, it's clear what real options of people has historically been.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 10:23:48 AM

Hahahahha.

I wouldn't. Taxes are needed because we live in partly capitalist society. It's not all bad, but it's not all good either. I know that it's very likely that I won't be at the top. So I don't want to end up like those outsourced workers... Many forms of taxation are needed to provide the services.

So, I'm selfish and believe income tax is better for me and majority than no tax... Because, it's clear what real options of people has historically been.

I think these people who want to do away with taxes and government are being selfish too. Would people really pay for stuff if they could get it for free or weren’t forced to pay it? If my landlord came to me and said "I've seen the error of my ways and don't want to be a greedy capitalist pig any more; just pay when you want and what you feel is a fair price" my desire to pay him the current going rate if any at all may start to evaporate. I'm sure this sentiment would infect a lot of other people too. Same goes for healthcare and other services. Most people wouldn't chip in for this if there was no commitment to do so.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 11:12:24 AM

Would people really pay for stuff if they weren’t forced to pay it?

Lucky for you, we are forced.

Would jews really go to the gas ovens if they weren't forced?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:41:01 AM

Would people really pay for stuff if they weren’t forced to pay it?

Lucky for you, we are forced.

Would jews really go to the gas ovens if they weren't forced?

Ridiculous comparison. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to pay taxes.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:43:38 PM

Ridiculous comparison. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to pay taxes.

What does happen when you don't pay taxes?

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:53:40 PM

You don't get thrown in a gas chamber that's for sure.
shawshankinmate37927

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:15:06 PM

You're changing the discussion.  Elwar didn't say that people who don't pay taxes are thrown in a gas chamber.  He was pointing out that people do things they wouldn't otherwise do--like enter a gas chamber or pay taxes--because they are forced to against their will.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:18:57 PM

You're changing the discussion.  Elwar didn't say that people who don't pay taxes are thrown in a gas chamber.  He was pointing out that people do things they wouldn't otherwise do--like enter a gas chamber or pay taxes--because they are forced to against their will.

I think you will find he changed the discussion, but I'll reiterate: Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to pay taxes.
shawshankinmate37927

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:24:01 PM

I think you will find he changed the discussion, but I'll reiterate: Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to pay taxes.

And I'll ask again.  What does happen when you don't pay taxes?  Notice I'm not asking what DOESN'T happen.  There are literally an unlimited number of things that don't happen.  My question is what DOES happen?

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:37:13 PM

And I'll ask again.  What does happen when you don't pay taxes?  Notice I'm not asking what DOESN'T happen.  There are literally an unlimited number of things that don't happen.  My question is what DOES happen?

You want to know what does happen when you don't pay taxes?
shawshankinmate37927

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:41:07 PM

I already know what happens when you don't pay taxes.  I want to see if you know.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:50:07 PM

I already know what happens when you don't pay taxes.  I want to see if you know.

There are literally an unlimited number of things that may or may not happen. That would depend on personal circumstances and situations/scenarios.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: