Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:00:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Introduction to DualMiner USB (could mine both BTC and LTC)  (Read 114580 times)
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 04:47:10 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2014, 03:40:05 PM by edonkey

Hi all,

The DualMiner site has instructions for configuring cgminer to autostart. I think that those instructions are geared towards logging in as a specific user and outputting cgminer to the screen automatically.

Since my rig is running completely headless, my needs are a bit different. I want cgminer to run at start up, have a rotating log for trouble shooting, and I want it relaunched when it crashes. So rather than follow the DualMiner instructions, I decided to use the awesome daemontools from D. J. Bernstein.

If anyone is interested in going this route, here are the steps that I took:

Install daemontools:

Code:
sudo apt-get install daemontools-run daemontools

Create the directories for the run and log scripts:

Code:
sudo mkdir /etc/service/cgminer
sudo mkdir /etc/service/cgminer/log

Put the following script in a file called "run" in the /etc/service/cgminer directory:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# cgminer/run
# run script for cgminer daemon

# Minimal environment
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/

# Redirect stderr to std out so that our log will pick it up
exec 2>&1
echo "*** Starting service cgminer..."

# Exec cgminer, which preserves the same process. Change the path and options as needed.
# Note that you have to run cgminer in text-only, non-terminal mode. I opted to force that
# option here rather than rely on it being set correctly in the conf file.
exec /usr/local/bin/cgminer --config /home/pi/config/cgminer.conf.ltc --text-only

Note that you may have to change the path to the cgminer executable and your conf file above.

If you want logging enabled, then you need to put this script in a file called "run" in the /etc/service/cgminer/log directory:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# cgminer/log
# log script for cgminer daemon

# Minimal environment
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/

# Define the path to the log folder
logFolder=/var/log/cgminer

# Make a folder fo the cgminer log files
mkdir -p ${logFolder}
chmod 755 ${logFolder}

# Set up multilog to handle logging the output from cgminer. It will rotate after 10 meg and
# keep five copies.
exec multilog s10485760 n5 ${logFolder}

The above script will put the log files in the /var/log/cgminer directory. The current log file will be called "current". The parameters to multilog above indicate that it should limit the log file size to 10 meg, and that it should keep the most recent 5 log files. This way old log data is deleted and you won't run out of disk space.

You have to also make sure that both scripts are executable:

Code:
sudo chmod 755 /etc/service/cgminer/log/run
sudo chmod 755 /etc/service/cgminer/run

If you've done everything right, then cgminer should be running. If you reboot, cgminer will be auto started. If cgminer crashes, then daemontools will restart it automatically.

You can use the following command to check on the status of cgminer running under daemontools:

Code:
sudo svstat /etc/service/cgminer

And you can see what's happening in the log with a tail command like this:

Code:
tail -500f /var/log/cgminer/current

If you need to stop cgminer, maybe because you want to change the config file or other maintenance, this command will stop the cgminer service:

Code:
sudo svc -d /etc/service/cgminer

This command will start the service back up again:

Code:
sudo svc -u /etc/service/cgminer

A couple of thoughts regarding logging. First, I'm not sure how safe it is to run a Rasperry Pi from an SD card with lots of log churn. I'm not an expert, but I'd be concerned that at some point lots of log writes might wear out the flash. Again, I must stress that I don't know if this is a real problem or one that I've imagined.

In any case, my system is generating around 4 meg of log data a day. Since my rig is new, I want to review this log data. But at some point if my system is stable, I might disable logging in order to conserve flash write cycles.

Second, when I first set up logging, I could not get it to work. Apparently there's an issue with daemontools where if you create the service "run" script first, then you create the "log/run" script, the daemontools service scanner doesn't see the change and does not enable logging.

To work around this, I rebooted my system after configuring logging. After that, logging worked like a charm. There's probably a more elegant way to work around this issue, but I didn't look into it further.

Lastly, if you're interested in more information regarding daemontools, here are some links that I used to get my feet wet:

http://lgallardo.com/en/2013/05/06/daemontools-o-como-relanzar-un-proceso-si-muere/
http://blog.teksol.info/pages/daemontools/tutorial
http://thedjbway.b0llix.net/daemontools/overview.html

Hopefully someone finds the above info helpful.

EDIT: I decided to leave logging on indefinitely. It's just too useful for debugging miner problems. So I did go ahead and install a package called ramlog that keeps the log files in ram, committing them to disk only on reboot. This should save on flash wear and tear. Instructions for installing ramlog follow here.

First, you need to figure out how big to make the ramlog partition.

So how big is my log folder now?

Code:
sudo du -sh /var/log
9.9M /var/log

How much of that is the miner log?

Code:
sudo du -sh /var/log/cgminer
5.9M /var/log/cgminer

So the regular log files amount to about 4M on my Pi. I've set the miner logging to only keep 3 copies and limit them to 10 meg. I think that means it can grow to 30 meg (including the "current" log).

How much ram do I have left?

Code:
free -m

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           437        180        256          0         15         82

But I've seen it a lot lower (like 160M).

So I think 50 meg for the ramlog is probably enough and won't impact the system too bad. Once I knew how big to make my ramlog mount point, I followed these ramlog installation instructions:

https://raw.github.com/swirepe/personalscripts/master/pi/setup-ramlog.sh

In case the above URL goes away, here's the steps I took:

Code:
sudo apt-get install lsof
mkdir ~/packages
cd ~/packages/
wget https://raw.github.com/swirepe/personalscripts/master/pi/ramlog_2.0.0_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i ramlog_2.0.0_all.deb

echo "TMPFS_RAMFS_SIZE=50m" | sudo tee /etc/default/ramlog

sudo reboot

So now all log files are written to a RAM disk based mount point and have no ongoing impact on the flash. When the system is rebooted, the log files are committed to flash, and then read out on the other side, so they aren't lost. But that's a lot less wear and tear than continuously writing log file data.

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dualminer_3

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:09:53 PM

I would remove the -pll 850 parameter. I am getting appropriate hashrate without using the -dualminer-pll parameter, and I have noticed instability when using this parameter on previous versions of cgminer. Regarding your invalid nonce error, I get those too occasionally, though you should see less once you drop your pll parameter.  Are you mining over a wifi connection? This would be the next thing I investigate if removing the non-necessary parameters doesn't help and you are using 9 DMs per p10-u2.

My rig is on a direct Ethernet connection, not Wifi. I'll take the parameter out and keep any eye on the logs.

Thanks CruzCoins!

The HW error is expected, especially, when DM works above 850Mhz.
The HW error means a returned nonce result does NOT meet the mining target requirement (if you know some mining theory) . This could happen in some cases:
1. The chip could do a wrong calculation. If it is overclocked, the chip could generate more error. That's why 850MHz will give more errors than 800Mhz.
2. Some errors could happen in the communication between DM device and cgminer. Something like uart buffer overflow.

Since higher clock frequency could introduce instability of the electronic signal, most of HW error is caused by the first reason.

HW error is different to the reject error. Reject error is caused by mining pool. If a new block had been generated and DM was still working on previous job, some nonces of previous job maybe still queued in a buffer of cgminer. If cgminer submit these old result to pool, the pool will reject them.
edonkey
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:35:42 PM

The HW error means a returned nonce result does NOT meet the mining target requirement (if you know some mining theory) . This could happen in some cases:
1. The chip could do a wrong calculation. If it is overclocked, the chip could generate more error. That's why 850MHz will give more errors than 800Mhz.
2. Some errors could happen in the communication between DM device and cgminer. Something like uart buffer overflow.

Since higher clock frequency could introduce instability of the electronic signal, most of HW error is caused by the first reason.

HW error is different to the reject error. Reject error is caused by mining pool. If a new block had been generated and DM was still working on previous job, some nonces of previous job maybe still queued in a buffer of cgminer. If cgminer submit these old result to pool, the pool will reject them.

Thanks for getting back to me dualminer_3. I realize that rejects are different than hardware errors. And I also realize that some number of hardware errors is expected with Dual Miners. I'm just interested in whether I'm seeing an expected hardware error rate.

I've been running cgminer for 20 hours without the "--dualminer-pll 850" command line and have had a total of 53 errors across 20 units. If I assume that this rate is fairly consistent, then I can estimate that I would see an average of 3 hardware errors per unit per day.

Is that a reasonable and expected rate?

If it isn't, then what can I do to diagnose and fix this?

Remember that I mentioned that I have two fans plugged into the same USB hubs where I have Dual Miners. Could these be making electrical noise or cause power fluctuations? If so, I can move them to a dedicated hub.

Thanks in advance for any further advice you might have.

CruzCoins

Activity: 41

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:36:15 PM

Thanks for getting back to me dualminer_3. I realize that rejects are different than hardware errors. And I also realize that some number of hardware errors is expected with Dual Miners. I'm just interested in whether I'm seeing an expected hardware error rate.

I've been running cgminer for 20 hours without the "--dualminer-pll 850" command line and have had a total of 53 errors across 20 units. If I assume that this rate is fairly consistent, then I can estimate that I would see an average of 3 hardware errors per unit per day.

Is that a reasonable and expected rate?

If it isn't, then what can I do to diagnose and fix this?

Remember that I mentioned that I have two fans plugged into the same USB hubs where I have Dual Miners. Could these be making electrical noise or cause power fluctuations? If so, I can move them to a dedicated hub.

Thanks in advance for any further advice you might have.
From my experience as long as your error are spread about, it seems to be a reasonable/expected rate currently. If you have a spare hub it may not be a bad idea to separate your DMs from fans that may pull lots of energy/create lots of vibration.
edonkey
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 06:35:51 PM

From my experience as long as your error are spread about, it seems to be a reasonable/expected rate currently. If you have a spare hub it may not be a bad idea to separate your DMs from fans that may pull lots of energy/create lots of vibration.

Thanks CruzCoins. I think I'll move the fans anyway, mainly because I want to be able to more easily turn them on and off. If that also happens to reduce the error rate, then that's icing on the cake.

Otherwise I'll just keep an eye out on the error rate to make sure it's uniform and not rising dramatically.

tuklap

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:34:19 AM

Hi!

Any news on this dual miner thing? still out of stocks. Probably wanting to get 2 of these for testing ^_^
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:40:24 AM

PM demonmaestro's group by he may have a couple extra from his recent group buy.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=438177.0

Hi!

Any news on this dual miner thing? still out of stocks. Probably wanting to get 2 of these for testing ^_^

tuklap

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:55:27 AM

PM demonmaestro's group by he may have a couple extra from his recent group buy.

Hi!

Too bad.. It's a US only buy.. I'm from the Philippines  Undecided

Probably would get a buying group too from here... Undecided

I just hope this is really legit Huh
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 06:28:37 AM

Ah I did not know that you lived there.
You could try Atari02's group buy for the 5 chip version and he ships world wide.
$50 off Gridseed 5Chip 10 Pack use "ManeBjorn" in your PM to Atari02 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=503928.0

Hi!

Too bad.. It's a US only buy.. I'm from the Philippines  Undecided

Probably would get a buying group too from here... Undecided

I just hope this is really legit Huh

one4many

Activity: 516
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 06:42:52 AM

Reading all the related threads, it looks like nobody has yet succeeded in getting these babies (USB sticks) up and running in dual-mode under Linux. Or did I miss something?

Cheers

one4many
Anddos

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:08:24 AM

When do you expect to get more stock?

dualminer (OP)

Activity: 59

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 02:29:27 PM

When do you expect to get more stock?

We expect to receive more devices in early next week. Thank you for your interest.
Zeta0S
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:01:38 PM

Ok i made a "How install to Video" about the dualminer whit the gridseed chipset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWa6EDjWii8

Hope you like it  Smiley

Get a HUGE 3% discount with promo code: MOON @ Genesis Mining
https://www.genesis-mining.com
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:14:06 PM

CryptoMining Blog has put up some cute thermal images:
http://cryptomining-blog.com/1428-power-usage-and-thermal-images-of-the-1-chip-gridseed-dualminer-usb-asics/

TracerX

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:14:41 PM

Neat!  Thanks for the link.
Blackbird0

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:47:55 PM

Reading all the related threads, it looks like nobody has yet succeeded in getting these babies (USB sticks) up and running in dual-mode under Linux. Or did I miss something?

Cheers

one4many

nwoolls fork works.
SquirrelEatAcoins

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 12:08:42 PM

My review of DualMiner here.
http://arsanimus.blogspot.com/2014/03/broadeng-dualminer-review.html
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 12:20:01 PM

Nice review! Smiley

One thing that did make my eyebrow quirk was this:
Quote from: SquirrelEatAcoins
First, let me say that DualMiner runs hot. One forum member measured them at 96°F.
If that's considered hot, you should move to one of the polar regions, as your body's core temperature is a few degrees above that Wink  The datasheet mentions a max operating temperature of about 185°F, figure at least 10 degrees lower as measured on the package and another 15 as measured as an average on the heat sink, and below that it should be fine.  Would actually be interesting to see a temperature vs HWerror plot ( not suggesting you do so - for all I know the things self-destruct at 110° despite the datasheet claims Wink )

SquirrelEatAcoins

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 12:34:36 PM

Nice review! Smiley

One thing that did make my eyebrow quirk was this:
Quote from: SquirrelEatAcoins
First, let me say that DualMiner runs hot. One forum member measured them at 96°F.
If that's considered hot, you should move to one of the polar regions, as your body's core temperature is a few degrees above that Wink  The datasheet mentions a max operating temperature of about 185°F, figure at least 10 degrees lower as measured on the package and another 15 as measured as an average on the heat sink, and below that it should be fine.  Would actually be interesting to see a temperature vs HWerror plot ( not suggesting you do so - for all I know the things self-destruct at 110° despite the datasheet claims Wink )

I tend to agree with your assessment. I found another article that measures it at 50°C. I have updated my blog entry to reflect this thought.
Thank you for the feedback.
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:14:12 AM

I have 10 in an Orico 10 port hub, 1 of them always goes idle after awhile. always the same one no matter what usb port on the hub I try. ive tried pll 850, 800, and no pll at all.. same situation

any ideas?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: