Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:31:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] NEX :: Nxt Reimagined - Industrial Strength - Imagine Fairness!  (Read 101932 times)
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 05:47:16 PM

I'm interested!  Smiley

NEX open source from the start. Why would anyone prefer the closed source alternative? (NXT promised the sources for January, they now say April; it will probably never be fully open source. This is too bad for serious money)

lol you haven't done your home work.   How do you think NEX is going to get their source code?

The hard way... reverse engineering it.

Anyway,  we saw underneath the covers.... it is complete garbage.

Anyone who holds Nxt coins can lose every one of it at a moments notice.

All accounts are accessible by everyone and are protected only by a password that can be brute forced by a hashcat farm.

Please explain how 256-bit encrypted accounts can be bruteforced. Do you have quantum computers? Does the NSA know about you?

Even 64bit encrypted accounts will take quite a few computing years to get brute forced. How can you make such unsubstantiated claims?

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:50:26 PM

I'm interested!  Smiley

NEX open source from the start. Why would anyone prefer the closed source alternative? (NXT promised the sources for January, they now say April; it will probably never be fully open source. This is too bad for serious money)

lol you haven't done your home work.   How do you think NEX is going to get their source code?

The hard way... reverse engineering it.

Anyway,  we saw underneath the covers.... it is complete garbage.

Anyone who holds Nxt coins can lose every one of it at a moments notice.

All accounts are accessible by everyone and are protected only by a password that can be brute forced by a hashcat farm.

Please explain how 256-bit encrypted accounts can be bruteforced. Do you have quantum computers? Does the NSA know about you?

Even 64bit encrypted accounts will take quite a few computing years to get brute forced. How can you make such unsubstantiated claims?

"They" are professionals...

We are professionals

See?

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
Siegtal81

Activity: 334
Merit: 10

Global Trans-Fee Mining Exchange

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:06:03 PM

interested, what must i do?

My Nxt are still holding but for this i give up some coins.

Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:11:10 PM

Well. I saw the thread for people to trade NXT for NEX, but don't see anything about us early birds getting any free NEX as the OP suggests.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
TheMightyX

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:16:32 PM

I would propose the following to get a really fair coin distribution for a 100% PoS coin:

Add the bitcoinj library to the NEX code and let it run in SPV mode.
Every NEX node continuously scans the bitcoin blockchain for P2SH transactions that are going to a proof-of-burn address.
You define a sliding window (i.e. 100 bitcoin blocks) and distribute rewards proportional to all bitcoins that were sent to the burn address within the last 100 bitcoin blocks.

You can define a decreasing reward curve for the next 1-4 years, such that after this initial bootstrapping rewarding phase the bitcoinj library can be excluded from the source code.

I think this would be the most fair distribution model, because there is no initial IPO. The price of the new coin will be determined always by the free market: If there is a period where more people are willing to burn their bitcoins for NEX coins, then they each get less NEX coins for their bitcoins. On the other hand if there is a period were no one wants to burn their bitcoins to get NEX coins, then everybody could just jump in and burn just a few satoshi to get almost the full NEX block reward without much competition. So you see fair distribution by market value.
It would make sure that the new coin actually really starts at value zero and will gradually improve to gain value. Therefore from an economic standpoint this would be the same distribution model as with Bitcoin.

It will borrow the fair distribution model from Bitcoin and the nice proof-of-stake model from NXT.
Of course this distribution model also has a much lower barrier to entry for every current bitcoin owner, even if he decides only after half a year to exchange some bitcoins for NEX coins. He could just look if he gets a better price at some exchange or if he goes the way to directly convert by burning bitcoins. This is the same mechanisms as someone interested in bitcoin could decide to buy a mining rig or to directly buy bitcoins on an exchange.
So instead of an initial-public-offering the coin has a continous-public-offering with decreasing reward over the next few years. This makes sure that the coins will be distributed quite broadly to many people.
The problem with this is the value of bitcoin is not static, and so one day someone may get 10000 NEX for 1 BTC and the next 12000 NEX (or vice versa). In fact over the course of one year the price of bitcoin may triple, and so what? You are tying the price of NEX to the highly volatile and speculative BTC. This is not a good idea.

What if the price of BTC tanks over the course of one year? So at the beginning of the year you get 1000 NEX for 1 btc, but by the end of the year when you SHOULD be getting less NEX due to the tapering down of the burn reward system, they can buy 3x as many bitcoin for the same amount and so get 3x the NEX? So NEX has to decrease in value by 66.66% for no other reason than bitcoin took a dive.

Otherwise this idea is great.
edit: elaboration

I think you slightly misunderstood how it would work. The following is not true, because the reward is not coupled to a certain amount of BTC!

they can buy 3x as many bitcoin for the same amount and so get 3x the NEX?
No, they would get the same amount of NEX for their USD.
The reward is fixed to a certain time interval and NOT a fixed conversion rate to BTC!
Therefore the reward system is independent from the volatility or value of bitcoins.

Please let me elaborate using an example:
We could use a sliding window of one day (864 bitcoins blocks). The amount of distribution of NEX per day is fixed in the protocol and does not depend on the actual number of bitcoins destroyed:
1. Year: 1000 NEX per day
2. Year: 500 NEX per day
3. Year: 250 NEX per day
4. Year: 0 NEX per day
No matter how bitcoins volatility changes the total number of distributed NEX coins stays the same! These total rewards are distributed to all individuals who burned bitcoins proportional to the bitcoins that they destroyed during the last 864 blocks. If more people burn, their individual reward gets smaller. If less people burn, their individual reward increases. But the total amount of reward is fixed. Very similar to bitcoin mining power.

So now let's illustrate your example of a highly volatile bitcoin price using two scenarios:

Scenario A:
1 BTC = 1000 USD (very volatile)
1 NEX = 1 USD
1000 NEX are distributed per day
The free market will make sure that rewards are distributed worth of 1000 NEX per day. Therefore the market equilibrium fill be reached, when "miners" will burn 1 BTC per 24 hours, because 1000 NEX = 1000 USD = 1 BTC

Scenario B:
1 BTC = 100 USD (very volatile)
1 NEX = 1 USD
The free market will make sure that rewards are distributed worth of 1000 NEX per day. Therefore the market equilibrium fill be reached, when "miners" will burn 0.1 BTC per 24 hours, because 1000 NEX per day = 1000 USD per day = 0.1 BTC per day

So you can easily see that the bitcoin volatility does not effect the reward distribution of NEX. If NEX has a stable USD value then the mining reward has also a stable value.
I can't entirely agree that this would be a fair system.
From a laymans points of view one day one group of 1000 people may burn 1 btc each and the next only day a group of 100. If 1000 NEX were released both days, one day they all get 1 NEX the next they get 10 NEX. This hardly seems fair to the first group to reward the second group 10x the amount based on random chance.

What would happen in this scenario is people would watch the burn address to know how much NEX they would get out on any given day. This might make it more profitable to just buy the NEX from someone else if the daily burn was oversaturated (that is, the amount of NEX you could receive from the burn would be less than taking that BTC and exchanging it for NEX directly).

In this case, the price of NEX would be tied to the amount of NEX you could get from the burn on any given day, or vice versa, the amount that people would/could burn would be directly tied to the price (would it be profitable to burn X amount of BTC if I'm going to receive Y NEX?)

It seems like instead of being used for people to adopt NEX, this burn/faucet would be monopolized by bots whose soul purpose was to eek out small profits whenever they could get more NEX by burning during a burn period than by buying on the exchanges.

In fact, no one would burn except within the last minutes/seconds of a burn period so as not to dilute the share of NEX dispensed (why burn when you don't know how many others are going to burn and at what amounts? It might be more profitable to buy off an exchange)

What am I arguing about? I don't know. But someone has to.
Stark-Fujikawa

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:22:35 PM

How will the giveaway proceed? Do we need to explicitly state interest (I am interested) or will all people who posted in this thread be contacted? Any more details on the trade in offer? At the moment it's very hard to gauge whether it's a good deal, as it seems to somewhat contradict the giveaway and it's difficult to know how attractive it is because we don't know how much NEX we will receive via the giveaway if that is still on.

NL/EN Translator. Will work for crypto.
NXT:13307336450726014831
Ubitq

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:22:43 PM

Interested ! Count me in
sinnyc

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Hmmmm.  Curious to see how this turns out.  Seems like a lot of stuff is getting changed on the fly.

aleix
Legendary

Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:26:05 PM

i'm in!  Smiley
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:43:22 PM

fair distribution of bitcoin ? lol  it was  released on a crypto mailing list (so how is it fair if you release it only to a very restrict group of people). for months 10 people mined it....then some gamers started mining it (i believe cos it got posted on on blizzard forums).....then by the time it ever got popular mining it required investment in graphic cards...and then asics completely killed it for the average joe....was everything but fair distribution.
NXT is already more distribiuted than bitcoin ever was in its first 2 months ., where only 20 or so people mined it.
5 years on and less than 1000 own more than 50% of bitcoins.  if NXt is to survive 5 years i bet its distribution will be much wider than that.

But with bitcoin it was fair because the first miners had a very huge risk. Only from your current perspective you could say it is unfair, but actually these guys were like revolutionists who were thinking differently and therefore their past reward can be considered fair from todays perspective. Everyone interested in the matter could have joined 4 years ago, or 3 years ago or now and nobody would say it is unfair.

In contrast an IPO (initial public offering) is ridiculous in the context of a network which is maintained by open-source software. Everyone could just copy the software and create their alternative network with exactly the same properties. So there is no value and therefore an IPO makes no sense.

The risk of what exactly?
Burning out a GPU ?

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
danzilla

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:08:17 PM

Interesting... So is it free or not?

And salsacz -> nice pictures!
FrictionlessCoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:12:14 PM

I would propose the following to get a really fair coin distribution for a 100% PoS coin:

Add the bitcoinj library to the NEX code and let it run in SPV mode.
Every NEX node continuously scans the bitcoin blockchain for P2SH transactions that are going to a proof-of-burn address.
You define a sliding window (i.e. 100 bitcoin blocks) and distribute rewards proportional to all bitcoins that were sent to the burn address within the last 100 bitcoin blocks.

You can define a decreasing reward curve for the next 1-4 years, such that after this initial bootstrapping rewarding phase the bitcoinj library can be excluded from the source code.

I think this would be the most fair distribution model, because there is no initial IPO. The price of the new coin will be determined always by the free market: If there is a period where more people are willing to burn their bitcoins for NEX coins, then they each get less NEX coins for their bitcoins. On the other hand if there is a period were no one wants to burn their bitcoins to get NEX coins, then everybody could just jump in and burn just a few satoshi to get almost the full NEX block reward without much competition. So you see fair distribution by market value.
It would make sure that the new coin actually really starts at value zero and will gradually improve to gain value. Therefore from an economic standpoint this would be the same distribution model as with Bitcoin.

It will borrow the fair distribution model from Bitcoin and the nice proof-of-stake model from NXT.
Of course this distribution model also has a much lower barrier to entry for every current bitcoin owner, even if he decides only after half a year to exchange some bitcoins for NEX coins. He could just look if he gets a better price at some exchange or if he goes the way to directly convert by burning bitcoins. This is the same mechanisms as someone interested in bitcoin could decide to buy a mining rig or to directly buy bitcoins on an exchange.
So instead of an initial-public-offering the coin has a continous-public-offering with decreasing reward over the next few years. This makes sure that the coins will be distributed quite broadly to many people.
The problem with this is the value of bitcoin is not static, and so one day someone may get 10000 NEX for 1 BTC and the next 12000 NEX (or vice versa). In fact over the course of one year the price of bitcoin may triple, and so what? You are tying the price of NEX to the highly volatile and speculative BTC. This is not a good idea.

What if the price of BTC tanks over the course of one year? So at the beginning of the year you get 1000 NEX for 1 btc, but by the end of the year when you SHOULD be getting less NEX due to the tapering down of the burn reward system, they can buy 3x as many bitcoin for the same amount and so get 3x the NEX? So NEX has to decrease in value by 66.66% for no other reason than bitcoin took a dive.

Otherwise this idea is great.
edit: elaboration

I think you slightly misunderstood how it would work. The following is not true, because the reward is not coupled to a certain amount of BTC!

they can buy 3x as many bitcoin for the same amount and so get 3x the NEX?
No, they would get the same amount of NEX for their USD.
The reward is fixed to a certain time interval and NOT a fixed conversion rate to BTC!
Therefore the reward system is independent from the volatility or value of bitcoins.

Please let me elaborate using an example:
We could use a sliding window of one day (864 bitcoins blocks). The amount of distribution of NEX per day is fixed in the protocol and does not depend on the actual number of bitcoins destroyed:
1. Year: 1000 NEX per day
2. Year: 500 NEX per day
3. Year: 250 NEX per day
4. Year: 0 NEX per day
No matter how bitcoins volatility changes the total number of distributed NEX coins stays the same! These total rewards are distributed to all individuals who burned bitcoins proportional to the bitcoins that they destroyed during the last 864 blocks. If more people burn, their individual reward gets smaller. If less people burn, their individual reward increases. But the total amount of reward is fixed. Very similar to bitcoin mining power.

So now let's illustrate your example of a highly volatile bitcoin price using two scenarios:

Scenario A:
1 BTC = 1000 USD (very volatile)
1 NEX = 1 USD
The free market will make sure that rewards are distributed worth of 1000 NEX per day. Therefore the market equilibrium fill be reached, when "miners" will burn 1 BTC per 24 hours, because 1000 NEX = 1000 USD = 1 BTC

Scenario B:
1 BTC = 100 USD (very volatile)
1 NEX = 1 USD
The free market will make sure that rewards are distributed worth of 1000 NEX per day. Therefore the market equilibrium fill be reached, when "miners" will burn 0.1 BTC per 24 hours, because 1000 NEX per day = 1000 USD per day = 0.1 BTC per day

So you can easily see that the bitcoin volatility does not effect the reward distribution of NEX. If NEX has a stable USD value then the mining reward has also a stable value.

I am liking your idea even more!!!!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
RomanMercury

Activity: 41

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:13:13 PM

I am interested!
FrictionlessCoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:17:40 PM

How about this... rather than proportional payout.   Highest winning bidder in the block?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
notsoshifty

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:19:59 PM

Official scam complaints have been filed with forum moderator for a number of reason.  Please do not send this guy any payment.

These are all Nxt videos, this guys is trying to scam you.  Be warned.

NEX
NXT Videos
NEX Introduction
What is NEX? Discussion by Tai Zen and Leon Fu (24:56)
How to Mine NEX
How to Use NEX Client
How to Register Alias Tutorial

Frictionless, you have posted twice since msin posted this notice about you using NXT videos to advertise NEX. The people who created these videos haven't give you permission to use them to advertise NEX, so why don't you amend your first post to remove them?
crisdoe

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:20:38 PM

interested! count me in ..
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 07:27:52 PM

Official scam complaints have been filed with forum moderator for a number of reason.  Please do not send this guy any payment.

NEX
NXT Videos
NEX Introduction
How to Mine NEX
How to Use NEX Client

Frictionless, you have posted twice since msin posted this notice about you using NXT videos to advertise NEX. The people who created these videos haven't give you permission to use them to advertise NEX, so why don't you amend your first post to remove them?

frictionless does not care about stealing other peoples intellectual property. He doesn't care about stealing people's donations. He says NEX is free, then it keeps changing.

Oh, he also has a quantum computer from the future because he can crack any 256 bit encryption.

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
FrictionlessCoin (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:31:19 PM

NEX
NXT Videos
NEX Introduction
How to Mine NEX
How to Use NEX Client

frictionless does not care about stealing other peoples intellectual property. He doesn't care about stealing people's donations. He says NEX is free, then it keeps changing.

Oh, he also has a quantum computer from the future because he can crack any 256 bit encryption.

Ok.   Removed.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:41:49 PM

NEX
NXT Videos
NEX Introduction
How to Mine NEX
How to Use NEX Client

Ok.   Removed.

Hm...
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:44:28 PM

How will the giveaway proceed? Do we need to explicitly state interest (I am interested) or will all people who posted in this thread be contacted? Any more details on the trade in offer? At the moment it's very hard to gauge whether it's a good deal, as it seems to somewhat contradict the giveaway and it's difficult to know how attractive it is because we don't know how much NEX we will receive via the giveaway if that is still on.

Still isn't clear. Seems it's being traded for NXT before we've even gotten a chance;

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=424724.0

Somewhat concerned this isn't what was proposed. Already being sold before it's given away. Bleh.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 »
  Print  

Jump to: