Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2018, 02:53:20 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative Block Chains : be safe!  (Read 298785 times)
zzzatochi

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

EFFECT.AI▲Decentralized network for A.I&#965

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 11:08:39 AM

very good advice, thanks!

Effect.AI // Decentralized Network for AI [ICO March 2018] Powered by the NEO Blockchain (http://effect.ai)
The World's Betting Exchange

Bet with play money. Win real Bitcoin. 5BTC Prize Fund for World Cup 2018.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
starsnshamrocks

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:26:11 PM

I haven't seen anybody post about what would be my biggest worry if I were trying out alternative block chains. I realize this may be perceived as "Gavin is FUD'ding anything that isn't bitcoin!"  (FUD == Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt)  But I think some of you might be forgetting some basic computer security fundamentals in the excitement to be early adopters.

When I first heard about bitcoin, my questions were:

1) Can it possibly work (do the ideas for how it works make sense)?
2) Is it a scam?
3) If it is not a scam, could it open my computer up to viruses/trojans if I run it?

I answered those questions by:

1) Reading and understanding Satoshi's whitepaper.  Then thinking about it for a day or two and reading it again.
2) Finding out everything I could about the project.  I read every forum thread here (there were probably under a hundred threads back then) and read Satoshi's initial postings on the crypto mailing list.
3) Downloaded and skimmed the source code to see if it looked vulnerable to buffer overflow or other remotely exploitable attacks.

If I were going to experiment with an alternative block-chain, I'd go through the same process again. But I'm an old conservative fuddy-duddy.

If you want to take a risk on a brand-new alternative block-chain, I'd strongly suggest that you:

1) Run the software in a virtual machine or on a machine that doesn't contain anything valuable.
2) Don't invest more money or time than you can afford to lose.
3) Use a different passphrase at every exchange site.

Cheers for this overview of certain safety features each one should check for himself before. In exitement one can do quick a couple of things, which in the end cause harm, as one just acted in a rush not checking basic safety features. Cheers!

easemypain

Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 07:02:28 PM

follow this link on twitter for more information on alternate coin https://twitter.com/_BTC_BOUNTY

•✎•-» Fair Ninja : Reinventing the way you trade second hand goods «-•✎• (https://www.fairninja.com)
ico_reviews

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

ICO reviews through objective analysis

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 04:06:06 AM

If you invest in any kind of ICO, be sure to check trusted websites that provide ratings & review.

www.cryptorated.com

is a good start.

Good luck!
Filantropica

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:29:34 PM

Hello guys , I have made an investment in an pre-ico of 1500 € . The concept sounds very nice , they have launched  a youtube channel with some funny presentation clips . But I'm not sure if i made the best decision . The website looks simple and trustable . I would like some feedback of this website , please !

www.orbistransfer.com
Achazia brigit

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:52:07 AM

Thank You Mr. Gavin

it very helpful tips for us ..

Now, i just have one desire to concern on focus what is coin will stable and grow up everytime  ? , i would be happy ,if grow faster everyday. But it's ok if just a lslow but nerver dropping. I'll invest again
Pintadj

Activity: 63

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 12:21:38 PM

Check this, new music cryptovalute!
https://blokt.com/icos/viberate-ico-review

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
eddysachs

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 03:23:25 PM

Gav you have a lot of solid points and its true we all have to be very cautious with our transactions, avoid clicking on unverified links as this is very common with phishing, do not disclose or publicly paste your private keys on public forums and no matter what try to keep a hard copy of your wallet details asides stroing them electronically on your device.
easemypain

Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2018, 07:41:07 PM

check out this new blockchain technology you won't be disappointed, #aidaico an innovative technology that offers automated services which help to bring together every body and offers them all the great opportunity of exchanging relevant informations and idea in a faster, more reliable manner. join AIDA  service today for a better services. 

•✎•-» Fair Ninja : Reinventing the way you trade second hand goods «-•✎• (https://www.fairninja.com)
rapi

Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:48:43 AM

Grateful if really safe, because if not safe we are hesitant to join the project ...

I strongly agree.
We must always be grateful for the project to continue, even if only small we should be grateful  Smiley

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
WORLDOPOLY ◈     ▐   FACEBOOKANN THREADTELEGRAM ┃ TWITTER ┃ INSTAGRAM           ▌    JOIN OUR ICO  26 Feb-21 Jun
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pintadj

Activity: 63

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 11:54:19 AM

Check, how look new music cryptovalute!
https://blokt.com/icos/viberate-ico-review

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
Alexeu000111

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:30:54 PM

It is necessary to understand where the whole story began

rapi

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 03:18:43 PM

I do not know about alt coins.
Can you explain briefly ?

WORLDOPOLY ◈     ▐   FACEBOOKANN THREADTELEGRAM ┃ TWITTER ┃ INSTAGRAM           ▌    JOIN OUR ICO  26 Feb-21 Jun
boybadbi

Activity: 112
Merit: 3

The Worlds Most Advanced Distributed Computer

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 05:28:02 PM

Many thanks to the author. The Soviets seem to be obvious, but for some reason they fall out of ordinary understanding. And so it is precisely those problems that arise in front of every newcomer in the world of crypto-currencies.

CROWD MACHINE
Powering the Next Generation of Blockchain App Builders (https://www.crowdmachine.com/)
cryptocurrenciesboom

Activity: 224
Merit: 12

“Blockchain Just Entered The Real World”

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 06:11:54 PM

I haven't seen anybody post about what would be my biggest worry if I were trying out alternative block chains. I realize this may be perceived as "Gavin is FUD'ding anything that isn't bitcoin!"  (FUD == Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt)  But I think some of you might be forgetting some basic computer security fundamentals in the excitement to be early adopters.

2) Is it a scam?
3) If it is not a scam, could it open my computer up to viruses/trojans if I run it?

1) Reading and understanding Satoshi's whitepaper.  Then thinking about it for a day or two and reading it again.
2) Finding out everything I could about the project.  I read every forum thread here (there were probably under a hundred threads back then) and read Satoshi's initial postings on the crypto mailing list.
3) Downloaded and skimmed the source code to see if it looked vulnerable to buffer overflow or other remotely exploitable attacks.

If I were going to experiment with an alternative block-chain, I'd go through the same process again. But I'm an old conservative fuddy-duddy.

If you want to take a risk on a brand-new alternative block-chain, I'd strongly suggest that you:

1) Run the software in a virtual machine or on a machine that doesn't contain anything valuable.

excellent advice for beginner cryptoinvestors. However, not all people have sufficient knowledge in the field of programming and not everyone will be able to understand the security of the project or even the block chain itself, although you can search for knowledgeable people among your friends.

bprof

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 08:48:30 PM

excellent advice for beginner cryptoinvestors. However, not all people have sufficient knowledge in the field of programming and not everyone will be able to understand the security of the project or even the block chain itself, although you can search for knowledgeable people among your friends.

You can't be more correct, not everyone knows about the technicalities of these projects but a good intuition and discretion will help.
Howery

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 10:21:52 PM

Just to inform you guys few members of our community have formulated a practical plan to annihilate Wall Street hedge fund managers shorting BTC and hurting our interests and ideology.

They are planning to launch an option market linked to CME BTC futures and gate.io futures starting with knockout call and put options on soon to be launched crypto-trading platform http://debucks.io

Besides they will add reverse futures on US Dollar and Euro to be settled in BTC and ETH. I think we can trading cash (XRB. Cardano, BTC and ETH) and derivatives at debucks.io from 12th February, 2018.
rapi

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 01:47:43 PM

How can you prove that transactions are safe?

I am also still confused. How to ?

ancilcleetus

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 03:26:44 PM

2) Is it a scam?

This was posted in 2011 when cryptocurrencies were in the baby stage or still in the wombs... Now many blockchain projects conducts ICOs without even having an MVP to test as Gavin suggests... In 2011, most of the people involved in bitcoin were doing it for recreational purposes to uphold the vision it holds.... Now it has deviated and institutional investors are interested in the economical aspect only... This has to change... And it will change once the bubble bursts and only the valuable and legitimate projects that provides real-world solutions while upholding decentralization will be going to survive...

https://tipbot.io
luongdk

Activity: 462
Merit: 102

World's Most inclusive Cryptocurrency Marketplace

View Profile
January 26, 2018, 07:36:31 PM

In spite of six year have passed, advice is still actual and if you are going to engage cryptocurrencies you must be attentive and cautious. Especially in storage of your tokens.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.