Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:04:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Overclock the Antminer S1 to 200GH/s] The EASY way! - updated to 393.75MHz ASIC  (Read 26149 times)
palawan (OP)

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:06:29 PM

Does anyone have the config parameters to run these at 375 MHz? Apparently not every unit will overclock well at 400 MHz.

As long as you don't have the very early Antminer S1 blade; this is the value  from the Antminer PDF that is posted by Bitmaintech.

option 'freq_value'     '4e81'  #375M
        option 'chip_freq'      '375'
        option 'timeout'        '38'

I've used this a few times when the weather gets too warm here in Los Angeles.  It produces about 190+GH/s

Edit:  I see wedgy2k has already posted the same values.  I can vouch for it as I've used it quite a number of times.

halu
chopsticks

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

*bamf!* you've just been eaten by a gr00.

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 12:58:16 PM

Awesome!  Works like a charm.

This space kept free of spammage, scammage, begging and affiliate linking
NorTiaN

Activity: 97

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 04:52:44 PM

Awesome!  Works like a charm.

+1
gnomegawd

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:27:05 PM

I use corsair cx 650 And corsair cx 750m for my 2 Ants OCed 400mhz.  You need single rail 12v with 42A to be safe for OC. Sounds like power supply problem, but dunno for sure. 100ghs per blade sounds right.  Multiple rails on the 12v not good.

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

42A really.. ya okay.  no you do not need that big of a psu, easily runs on dual 18a rails, 10amp less than 42... roflol.

such rookies.
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:44:49 PM

Everyone needs to start somewhere ...
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:51:10 PM

I use corsair cx 650 And corsair cx 750m for my 2 Ants OCed 400mhz.  You need single rail 12v with 42A to be safe for OC. Sounds like power supply problem, but dunno for sure. 100ghs per blade sounds right.  Multiple rails on the 12v not good.

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

42A really.. ya okay.  no you do not need that big of a psu, easily runs on dual 18a rails, 10amp less than 42... roflol.

such rookies.

you would be surprised. 36A*12V is only 432W - enough for 375MHz maybe, but if you want to overclock any further your PSU will start acting up.

also, many power supplies cannot run more than 80% of thier max capacity 24/7. I would advise at least 420W for a stock antminer and 500W if you want to overclock.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
gnomegawd

Activity: 134

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:14:19 PM

Yup surprised because overclocking isn't a problem. these are only 360w max draw at 360w isn't 40 amps Smiley

whatever i'll let you overspend on your psu, takes longer for your ROI then.

I run mine just near 400mhz
chopsticks

Activity: 91

*bamf!* you've just been eaten by a gr00.

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 12:44:56 AM

Yup surprised because overclocking isn't a problem. these are only 360w max draw at 360w isn't 40 amps Smiley

Depends how easily you have access to a new PSU.  For me it's difficult (would take at least a day; it would be a big mission) to replace the PSU if it fails.
I had to fly to Bangkok last time to get a half-way solid PSU.

Push your PSU too hard and it may crap out on you.  Of course it may not.  Some PSUs will take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

A good PSU is a pretty good investment.  When any PSU fails it costs me time, energy, hashing time and headache.

Just ordered another S1 Antminer today (using someone else's BitMainTech account so I could use their coupon!)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=476577.msg5256530#msg5256530

Running 1 OC'd (@ frequency 393.75, 400 had too many HW errors)
 S1 Antminer on EVGA NEX750B (yes, Bronze) PSU

This space kept free of spammage, scammage, begging and affiliate linking
palawan (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:02:17 AM

Depends how easily you have access to a new PSU.  For me it's difficult (would take at least a day; it would be a big mission) to replace the PSU if it fails.
I had to fly to Bangkok last time to get a half-way solid PSU.

Push your PSU too hard and it may crap out on you.  Of course it may not.  Some PSUs will take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

A good PSU is a pretty good investment.  When any PSU fails it costs me time, energy, hashing time and headache.

Just ordered another S1 Antminer today (using someone else's BitMainTech account so I could use their coupon!)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=476577.msg5256530#msg5256530

Running 1 OC'd (@ frequency 393.75, 400 had too many HW errors)
 S1 Antminer on EVGA NEX750B (yes, Bronze) PSU

This^^^

Some people assume that a good PSU cost so much that it's really affecting the bottom line.  How much are we trying to save here?  For me, $75 and $100.  Peace of mind that I'm not gonna burn down our place due to some crappy PSU components?  priceless.  Not to mention the fact that 1 Antminer cost as much as my car (at the time of my purchase, or course not so much now).  It's worth it for me to protect that investment.

Have some respect for other people's decisions.  They may have other things (and other people) on their minds, not like if you're just living at your parents' home and don't care about the implications of your setup.

halu
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:32:47 AM

Overclocked the blades use 12v at 30a  - watts what is watts ?? something to buy lightbulbs with ?

AMPS are the important part of the equation. watts is something that combines all the rails into a total.

30A per miner S1 system.

Everything will work with NO issues.

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:42:12 AM

Overclocked the blades use 12v at 30a  - watts what is watts ?? something to buy lightbulbs with ?

AMPS are the important part of the equation. watts is something that combines all the rails into a total.

30A per miner S1 system.

no way - look back through this thread and it is clear - while these can draw as little as 360W, most power supplies with under 400W for stock speeds or 450W for overclocking will simply cause errors such as reboots, chips marked with 'x', or inconsistent hashspeeds.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:19:39 AM

30A per miner S1 system.

no way - look back through this thread and it is clear - while these can draw as little as 360W, most power supplies with under 400W for stock speeds or 450W for overclocking will simply cause errors such as reboots, chips marked with 'x', or inconsistent hashspeeds.

The amps  12v 30a is the doozall range, simple for people to understand with out using kilowatt meters math and much confusion.

Watts is simply wrong for this equation. watts gives you a baseline to buy a P/S but is VERY Misleading.

AMPS per Rail is what you are after.

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:48:59 PM

most power supplies with under 400W for stock speeds or 450W for overclocking will simply cause errors such as reboots, chips marked with 'x', or inconsistent hashspeeds.

Then don't buy bad power supplies for expensive equipment. If I can run 2 overclocked ants on a Corsair AX760 (not exactly optimal for efficiency but I had to RMA the original one) then a good 400W single rail psu that can provide 32A+ 12V can run 1 as well.
topminingcontracts

Activity: 532

TaaS is a closed-end fund designated to blockchain

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 07:48:37 PM

Nice job +1

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:27:04 AM

The Antminer overclocking to 200Gh/s so easily makes we wonder why I can't find any efforts to get it beyond that. It should be easy to improve the stock cooling, isn't it possible to squeeze out more hashpower?
palawan (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 04:04:54 AM

The Antminer overclocking to 200Gh/s so easily makes we wonder why I can't find any efforts to get it beyond that. It should be easy to improve the stock cooling, isn't it possible to squeeze out more hashpower?

I have a youtube video on my signature and I added 2 fans each directly on top of the heatsinks after they have been remounted to face outwards which helped very much with the cooling as weather here is too warm for mining.

Still, I wouldn't attempt to overclock more than 400MHz per chip (~200GH/s) as I saw posts in other threads that the limitations  are on the voltage regulators which if needed replacement would need resoldering a new one or risk 8 chips out of commission or more.

There's also increased HW which result in lower performance...

halu
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 04:11:22 AM

I have a youtube video on my signature and I added 2 fans each directly on top of the heatsinks after they have been remounted to face outwards which helped very much with the cooling as weather here is too warm for mining.

Still, I wouldn't attempt to overclock more than 400MHz per chip (~200GH/s) as I saw posts in other threads that the limitations  are on the voltage regulators which if needed replacement would need resoldering a new one or risk 8 chips out of commission or more.

The capacity of the DC-DC converters or the set value?
palawan (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 04:20:58 AM

The capacity of the DC-DC converters or the set value?

There are voltage regulartor on each S1 blade (4 of them?) near the top, someone posted a picture of it on the threads.  They detailed the rated limits, then calculated the requirements per ASIC based on chip frequency.  Also, in another thread, some people calculated the effects of going to different chip-frequencies and some did go beyond 400MHz and got lower performance.  Based on that, I think the sweet spot (for me) is 400MHz.  Some said even lower, but I've stayed at 400MHz chip frequencies for more than 40 days on 1 of my Ant's and quite happy with the performance and stability (lack of problems).

halu
NorTiaN

Activity: 97

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:09:45 AM

Hello
Palawan, could you write the file for the frequency 393.75?

At the Goxxed thread, ppl r saying that this is the sweet spot between speed and error rate.
As per trying to edit files for myself, sorry but I lack the necessary IT skills.

Any help is appreciated  Wink

Thnks
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:16:00 AM

WHen I overclock to 200 I get TONS of hardware errors. But at 375 I get about 195 GH/S and no errors. Interesting.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: