Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:50:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 90 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MultiBit  (Read 336091 times)
bitcoinspot.nl

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 09:24:45 AM

What i mean with the create transaction button is the following:

currently, If you check the main screen with the transactions you can see the transactions that are running (that are waiting to get the needed amount of confirmations). What i would like to see is that you create a transaction, that automatically generates a new address (so that you dont have to do it yourself) and lets you see the transaction in the transaction screen, even if the sender did not send the bitcoins yet. So you see the transactions that are waiting to get paid.

See what i mean?

Roland.

- bitcoinspot.nl - Alles over bitcoin! -

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 12:16:39 PM

Yes - I see what you mean.

It is "I am expecting to be paid this amount to this address" and that it should appear in the list of transactions.

I will have a think about what it would mean to implement it (It would mean different data structures behind the scenes).

I can see how useful it would be in a retail environment.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
bitcoinspot.nl

Activity: 300

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 10:32:53 AM

Yeah its proparbly more of a feature for the retail-thing Smiley

- bitcoinspot.nl - Alles over bitcoin! -
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 04:18:50 PM

There is a new release of MultiBit at:

http://multibit.org

Version 0.3.0Beta2
Enhancements
+  Includes fix for February 20th 2012 Bitcoin network change
+  Hungarian added
+  Initial version of private key export and reimport available
+  'Reset blockchain and transactions' moved to Tools menu

The private key export and reimport code is a bit 'young' yet and needs various improvements (such as password protection). I wanted to put the code out though as people might want to experiment with it.

The dialogs for the private key import and export have already been localised into German and Spanish by freemoney, which is pretty amazing as I only uploaded them at 9pm last night !

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 11:12:44 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2012, 10:29:40 AM by jim618

I have been having a bit of fun tonight seeing if I could get a MultiBit wallet and a http://blockchain.info wallet to both contain the same private keys.  

The idea is that with the same private keys they should both see the same spends and receives of bitcoin together in realtime.  The two wallets should both change in lockstep.

It works !

The trick is to create the wallet first in MultiBit, export the key(s) and then import the keys into your blockchain.info wallet.   You also want to delete any other keys in your blockchain.info wallet - obviously move the bitcoin on those keys out before you delete them.

Here are two screen shots with the same transactions appearing in the two user interfaces:

The BTC and transactions in MultiBit:
http://multibit.org/postImages/multiBitBlockChain.png

And the same in blockchain.info:
http://multibit.org/postImages/blockChain.png

Neat!

HanSolo

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 08:02:15 AM

I vaguely recall last year, playing with BitcoinJ, being concerned it could have problems accurately accounting for spending transactions involving its keys that hadn't been locally initiated. I don't recall all the details, something about assuming they'd already be in a pending mode, awaiting appearance in the blockchain. (It may have also have involved the situation where all the Outputs of a previous transaction belonged to its local keys, but the new transaction only used one of those Outputs. It seemed to forget the whole transaction in that case.)

I haven't been following the BitcoinJ development close enough to know if this has been fixed.

Are you confident that in your same-keys-in-two-wallets case, the BitcoinJ code properly recognizes spends from elsewhere, including cases where only some of several Outputs in the same prior transaction are spent?

Totally separate Multibit question: does it have any sort of web/RPC interface like the Satoshi client?
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 03:08:35 PM

Hi HanSolo,

Thanks for pointing out that scenario. To be honest the various scenarios of duplicate keys needs much more testing before it is generally usable. For instance I notice with the current MultiBit code if you have the same key in multiple MultiBit wallets zero-confirm spend transactions do not appear in the 'other' wallet - only when the block appears does the transaction get in.

I imagine the code in other wallet providers will need work on them too for the scenario of a spend transaction for one of their wallet's keys that comes in from the bitcoin network. I would not rely on this functionality for your production systems yet.

Re: opening up MultiBit. At the moment the only interface out of MultiBit is to the Satoshi clients. We have started some preliminary work on connections between MultiBit and the exchanges and there is also the sister project of adding Open Transactions into a MultiBit code fork.

Gary Rowe has been working in a project called MultiBitMerchant which will be our web offering with a catalog etc.

Mainly because MultiBit will be an 'end user' system with, eventually, a keystore of the various private keys and credentials to connect to other systems I was not planning to add a programmatic interface to MultiBit itself. The main reason for this is from the security perspective. It is to minimise the attack surface.

Now that there are bots searching for and attacking bitcoind RPC interfaces that people open too wide it seems prudent for a end user client like MultiBit to keep it's attack surface as small as possible.

If someone has something they want to implement that was more 'server-ey' based and use the MultiBit code as a basis I have no problem with that. Just so long as they brand it as something other than MultiBit and spend the time and effort on securing their APIs.

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 06:00:41 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2012, 06:51:43 PM by jim618

A thorough article by Amir Taaki about MultiBit with embedded YouTube of the EuroBit MultiBit presentation:
http://bitcoinmedia.com/eurobit-jim-burton-multibit/

Added since November is the ability to click on a link in a browser which simplifies website purchases.

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 07:14:31 PM

Bug feedback:
On my MBP,when the Multibit app is open but the battery runs out (loss of power on computer event),I lost my Bitcoins in this app.I only lost 0.009 BTC (so not much but still concerning).I think that a more rigid fail safe system needs to be implemented to guard against loss of power (auto ghost copies of the wallet file on different areas on HDD.I hope that this system would like clone the main wallet,then unload the main wallet and run everything from hte ghost copy so that if the ghost copy is corrupted by loss of power,it can recreate another working copy from a known good wallet file and the cycle repeats as much as needed).

I'm running Multibit 0.30 Snapshot version.Implement a recovery system that can detect a loss of BTC (corruption) then offer a step to restore the BTC (unspent BTC being lost).

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 07:30:19 PM

Hi film2240,

Sorry to hear about your MultiBit problems when you lose battery power on your MBP.

Depending on exactly what happened you may be able to recover your bitcoins by following the steps in:
http://multibit.org/help_troubleshooting.html

In the section headed :
'how to fix transactions that never confirm'

This resyncs your MutiBit wallet with what is in the blockchain.
Please can you let me know if this works or not.

I will also put your experience in as a bug in the bug system in github so that I improve MultiBit's behaviour in this area.

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 07:47:58 PM

Hi film2240,

Sorry to hear about your MultiBit problems when you lose battery power on your MBP.

Depending on exactly what happened you may be able to recover your bitcoins by following the steps in:
http://multibit.org/help_troubleshooting.html

In the section headed :
'how to fix transactions that never confirm'

This resyncs your MutiBit wallet with what is in the blockchain.
Please can you let me know if this works or not.

I will also put your experience in as a bug in the bug system in github so that I improve MultiBit's behaviour in this area.

Good news Jim.I've tested this and I can report success with this.Turned out I had 0.0342BTC (as 0.02BTC was sent to non working address and 0.009 was 'lost' when MBP battery lost power).

This is a very nice app for me.Just gotta work out those bugs.I feel that bugs like that are important to fix as they can affect laptop users (PC+mac) as they are most likely used on battery and when loss of power occurs (battery runs down) and the file doesn't save or no backup is made,info can be lost.

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 08:22:29 PM

Good to hear you have your BTC back.

Yes - agreed that MultiBit's behaviour needs improving here.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 05:01:12 PM

Jim Burtons talk at the bitcoin conference in Prague (for those who missed the post elsewhere)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62176.0

(other eurobit talks listed here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40272.msg725830#msg725830)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Cobra

Activity: 289

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 03:51:42 PM

I was wondering if anyone has got MultiBit running on a G4 PPC Mac with OS 10.4.11?  OS is fully updated with Java SE 1.5, and it said 1.6 was required for MultiBit.  It looks like Apple never released this for PPC and when going to Java download they direct you to use software update on the Mac. I have read how to get this going through terminal but cant find the disk image anywhere "Java SE 6.0 Release 1 DP6".

The system requirements say 10.3 or greater but I assume it could mean an Intel mac only. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2012, 09:18:39 PM

Hi Cobra,
There are a few things that Multibit uses that are specific to Java 1.6 so that is the minimum JVM specified.

The list if what was in Java 1.6 is here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/features-141434.html

The drag and drop was improved in 1.6 and file locks I think were made more reliable.
The integration with the system look and feel was improved in 1.6. - this improves the screen redraws.

Jim

Cobra

Activity: 289

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 01:06:30 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2012, 09:46:56 PM by Cobra

Hi Cobra,
There are a few things that Multibit uses that are specific to Java 1.6 so that is the minimum JVM specified.

The list if what was in Java 1.6 is here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/features-141434.html

The drag and drop was improved in 1.6 and file locks I think were made more reliable.
The integration with the system look and feel was improved in 1.6. - this improves the screen redraws.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I had hoped someone had a similar setup. I am having difficulty getting Java 1.6 installed in this configuration. It looks like the standard client needs this Java version as well. I may not be able to use this old Mac as a dedicated wallet.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 04:28:24 AM

A customer has a tx that seems to not be broadcasting. How does Multibit handle this? Will it go eventually? Should he reload... what? And try again?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 01:33:23 PM

Hello FreeMoney,

At the moment the version of bitcoinj MultiBit uses does not rebroadcast. The best thing for your customer to do is:
1) Do a 'reset blockchain and transactions'. (This menu option is now in the 'Tools' menu). This will sync the wallet to what is on the blockchain. I.e. the untransmitted transaction will disappear.
2) Send the transaction again.

I always leave MultiBit open until the first confirmation comes in but that is not strictly necessary.

The version of bitcoinj that MultiBit is using is now a bit out of date and I know they have made various improvements to the peer functionality. I expect to be updating this in the next couple of weeks so this should improve things.

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 06:57:01 PM

I thought you would be interested in some future MultiBit development work we are starting up.

Tim Molter is a Java developer who is writing a library to integrate with the various bitcoin exchanges.
You can get more details of his project here:

https://github.com/timmolter/XChange/wiki/Milestones
https://github.com/timmolter/XChange/wiki/Exchange-support

We are planning to use XChange in both MultiBit and MultiBitMerchant, initially to get exchange rate data but later on to provide deeper integration with the exchanges.   (We are still working out what we can and cannot do).

It will be a while before it appears fully productised in MultiBit / MultiBitMerchant but it is very interesting work.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2012, 04:56:12 PM

Hello FreeMoney,

At the moment the version of bitcoinj MultiBit uses does not rebroadcast. The best thing for your customer to do is:
1) Do a 'reset blockchain and transactions'. (This menu option is now in the 'Tools' menu). This will sync the wallet to what is on the blockchain. I.e. the untransmitted transaction will disappear.
2) Send the transaction again.

I always leave MultiBit open until the first confirmation comes in but that is not strictly necessary.

The version of bitcoinj that MultiBit is using is now a bit out of date and I know they have made various improvements to the peer functionality. I expect to be updating this in the next couple of weeks so this should improve things.

Thanks.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 90 »
  Print  

Jump to: