Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:01:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN]ASICMiner Publicly Looking for Potential Customers/Partners for New Chips  (Read 54973 times)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:40:43 AM

well I hope we get some decent competition, I'd hate to see AM hogging the network

Wink

If knc 20nm is actually 40% more efficient than their 28nm they might be on par with asicminers efficiency but I doubt they can match the price with 20nm being so much more expensive.

Not only that,KNC (& Hashfast,Cointerra,etc...) will/have only offer miners in the $5000-$15,000 price range,not many are offering anything for the little guys,so only the rich can get into Bitcoin mining  Angry

Thank god Bitmain came up with the S1........now if Blackarrow can get its act together with their Prospero X1.........& maybe ASICminer can offer an affordable miner too.......one can dream can't he  Roll Eyes

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Fireblade

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:09:13 AM

well I hope we get some decent competition, I'd hate to see AM hogging the network

Wink

If knc 20nm is actually 40% more efficient than their 28nm they might be on par with asicminers efficiency but I doubt they can match the price with 20nm being so much more expensive.

Not only that,KNC (& Hashfast,Cointerra,etc...) will/have only offer miners in the $5000-$15,000 price range,not many are offering anything for the little guys,so only the rich can get into Bitcoin mining  Angry

Thank god Bitmain came up with the S1........now if Blackarrow can get its act together with their Prospero X1.........& maybe ASICminer can offer an affordable miner too.......one can dream can't he  Roll Eyes
Don't forget when the Antminer was released the price was 4,5-4.75BTC @ a BTC price of 1000 usd. Eventual the price came down when the diff went up. I don't expect many AM gen miner with a hashrate lower as 1TH. When released in april the price need to be around 4,5-5 BTC/Th. Probably it will, because in april there is a lot of competition, Avalon gen3, Bitmain s2, Chinese A1 (stolen chips or not...). Without a reasonable price people will buy the other "less efficient" hardware.
Teodor

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 05:15:33 PM

Totally agree with Fireblade, in 2 weeks prices will be half or even less, as it was with the others miners...

necro_nemesis

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 05:39:58 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2014, 06:02:10 PM by necro_nemesis

I believe prices are currently set based on factoring competition and ROI which is to say there's potentially higher margins then simply bringing the product to market. At some point soon I think it will be simply who can build a miner and sell it for a profit period. The more cost effective manufacturer's will prevail. The inefficient one's will have to bow out.

At some point the only other cost cutting measures will be to remove the distribution supply chain and logistics of distributing equipment. I can see a movement to investing in a manufacturer's mining operations to eliminate all other unnecessary costs of mining.

It may soon come to a point where there isn't enough margin to keep shaving the ice cube on ASIC development efficiency and the the efforts go to running with what you got in higher numbers. Quite conceivably AM may have timed Gen3 perfectly to come in with an efficient ASIC for this very purpose and at a time where further development isn't going to provide significant return for other ASIC makers. They'd have to come up with something considerably more powerful and cost effective and I believe Gen3 was already designed with those two factors in mind.
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:54:13 PM

there's also bitfury that seems to be doing pretty good job on their version 2 chip... and that's just 55nm, i think they can squeeze helluva more should they move to 40nm  Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=228677.1080

punin's comments: "Our preliminary tests show 25% increase in hashrate and 25% lower power consumption. We will receive new chips tomorrow and will have samples available to developers."
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:27:42 PM

there's also bitfury that seems to be doing pretty good job on their version 2 chip... and that's just 55nm, i think they can squeeze helluva more should they move to 40nm  Grin

punin's comments: "Our preliminary tests show 25% increase in hashrate and 25% lower power consumption. We will receive new chips tomorrow and will have samples available to developers."

If they had to pay for a whole new mask then that doesn't seem so good to me. If they paid very little or zero for the mask then it's ok Smiley

Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:37:36 PM

Bitfury is just too expensive. Way too expensive its not even funny anymore.

€4,864/$7000 for 560GH/s  Huh

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:39:28 PM

That's the old chips. The new chips are priced better. We'll have to wait to see the price of full systems with the new chips before we can call them overpriced.

Buy & Hold
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:53:17 PM

That's the old chips. The new chips are priced better. We'll have to wait to see the price of full systems with the new chips before we can call them overpriced.

They will need to be, there is a lot more competition around these days. They won't be able to get away with charging like wounded bulls while (allegedly) financing their own mine this time round.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
necro_nemesis

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:43:01 PM

All this talk about widdling down the cost/efficiency of chips to be able to achieve ROI is intersting.

Since were down the price of moving electrons, riddle me this.

Today I asked UPS how much the shipping charges were for sending me one of my U1's. I was quoted, wait for it, $338 using UPS express saver the way it was shipped. Three hundred thirty eight dollars which is incorporated in the price of the U1 and works out to half of the overall cost. Now how much margin is there in these current devices and if time is money how the heck is anyone going to compete against employing them at thier place of origin if they are paying as much to move them as the unit itself could sell for locally.

I'm hoping UPS quoted me incorrectly because this is the elephant in the room.
Groc

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

Bounty manager (https://t.me/Gudwinn)

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:01:28 PM

All this talk about widdling down the cost/efficiency of chips to be able to achieve ROI is intersting.

Since were down the price of moving electrons, riddle me this.

Today I asked UPS how much the shipping charges were for sending me one of my U1's. I was quoted, wait for it, $338 using UPS express saver the way it was shipped. Three hundred thirty eight dollars which is incorporated in the price of the U1 and works out to half of the overall cost. Now how much margin is there in these current devices and if time is money how the heck is anyone going to compete against employing them at thier place of origin if they are paying as much to move them as the unit itself could sell for locally.

Buy from local resellers - drastically reduces shipping cost
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:25:50 PM

Not so much "incorrect", but not relevant. People who ship lots of items get large discounts on shipping rates. You on the other hand will be quoted costly "retail" rates.

Buy & Hold
necro_nemesis

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:42:34 PM

Not so much "incorrect", but not relevant. People who ship lots of items get large discounts on shipping rates. You on the other hand will be quoted costly "retail" rates.

Well that's good news. It was quite disconcerting that there appeared to be such a discrepancy in the cost to mine if you didn't happen to reside where miner's are made. It did elevate my concerns over the critical requirement to look at distribution, assembly and design from a logistical perspective if your interest is in deploying your product world wide. Sending out completed individual units out from the manufacturer given the potential distances involved probably isn't the most cost effective approach.

The local resellers weren't competitive but where I am probably isn't fully defined as "local". It's a fast moving market and I have a sense it caused the imbalance that allowed for the manufacturer to supply for less even with shipping factored in.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:53:34 PM

Well that's good news. It was quite disconcerting that there appeared to be such a discrepancy in the cost to mine if you didn't happen to reside where miner's are made. It did elevate my concerns over the critical requirement to look at distribution, assembly and design from a logistical perspective if your interest is in deploying your product world wide. Sending out completed individual units out from the manufacturer given the potential distances involved probably isn't the most cost effective approach.

The local resellers weren't competitive but where I am probably isn't fully defined as "local". It's a fast moving market and I have a sense it caused the imbalance that allowed for the manufacturer to supply for less even with shipping factored in.

You need to use a comparison site so they compete for your business. I'm in the UK and Australia is as far away as possible from me, with http://www.parcel2go.com/parcel-delivery/australia I can send a parcel up to 15kg/1.2m for about £24/$36USD!

punin

Activity: 560

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 08:56:10 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=250249.msg5751682#msg5751682

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
Jexel

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 12:30:03 AM

Did FriedCat make a reply and then deleted his post?!

https://twitter.com/FriedcatSays/status/445828515490193409
vortex1878

Activity: 492

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 12:59:52 AM

Did FriedCat make a reply and then deleted his post?!

https://twitter.com/FriedcatSays/status/445828515490193409

Yes, i saw the post. it was specs about the chips.

You are a fucking genius. What would we do w/o you?
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:38:15 AM

looks like asicminer is going to lose 40nm race unless friedcat cuts prices drastically thereby reducing margins... forget avalon, bitfury or even bitmain here comes israeli brilliant minds, chip designed by ex-intel and motorola engineers.... so far reaction from community seems extremely positive..

SP10 – Dawson 1.4 TH/s for delivery in March
The Hammer was specifically designed for the new SP10 – Dawson mining rig. The Dawson houses 192 and works at 1.4 TH/s with power consumption between 1.2 KW and 1.35 KW.

this is what really blew me away..  Shocked

SP30 – Yukon 5.4 TH/s

The Yukon will deliver an amazing 5.4 TH/s, nearly X4 the hash rate of SP10 - Dawson. The hash rate will not come at the price of size or power consumption and the unit measures only 2U allowing for efficient stacking. The unit’s power consumption is estimated to be around 2.4 KW

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521520.0

Introducing the Hammer ASIC
The Hammer ASIC was designed for high performance and power efficiency.

Its specifications are highly competitive:

Process Node             40 nm
Package Type            QFN64 8 mm x 8 mm
I/O                           Serial protocol with clk, datain and dataout
Rated Hash Rate        7.5 GHash/s per chip, with a wide range of overclock/downclock options. Up to 10 GHash/s in a typical corner.
Rated Voltage            0.63 V, recommended voltage range is 0.6 V – 0.8 V
Power Consumption   0.58 W/GHs

0.6w/gh is not really comparable to 0.35w/gh and at $0.5-1/gh asicminer is by far the cheapest option available.

However their next generation 5.4th miners using 28nm will compete in efficiency but probably not in price.
necro_nemesis

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:36:23 AM

"The Yukon will deliver...."

All these guys are starting to sound like a bunch of weathermen.

Proof is in delivering.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 02:28:54 PM

looks like asicminer is going to lose 40nm race ...
SP10 – Dawson 1.4 TH/s for delivery in March
SP30 – Yukon 5.4 TH/s
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521520.0

Introducing the Hammer ASIC
Its specifications are highly competitive:

It strikes me that we will experience a repeat of the 2013 mining race, where 50% of the offerings are fraudulent, 25% are failures, 20% or OK, and 5% are actually winners (*numbers made up for illustrative purposes, final stats welcome).

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: