Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:19:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner Hobby Miner w/ Jalapeno  (Read 4686 times)
James222

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Wassup?

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:37:30 AM

For that price it's not a good deal in my opinion. Take a look at the Proxpero X1. It is currently on sale at 353$ with a 100 GH/S rate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
krodmandoon

Activity: 434
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:40:14 AM

For that price it's not a good deal in my opinion. Take a look at the Proxpero X1. It is currently on sale at 353$ with a 100 GH/S rate.

yeah but:
Minimum quantity for "Prospero X-1 (100Ghash/second)" is 10.
and:
This product will be available on 30 Apr 2014

Not exactly good.

j3steven (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:21:06 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the help, and also showing how to Ignore someone on the forum too  Wink

I guess this a question where'd you need to know my PC basics, but assume it's an off-the-shelf tower, would it be feasible to use the Jalapeno and also add some other USB miners that I see on eBay too as a 2nd/3rd miner?  These obviously are at a much slower speed, best I saw was 1.6GH, so I guess my question is would adding these slow down the rate of the Jalapeno to the point where they wouldn't be worth it?  Could it just eventually burn out my PC too?

krampus

Activity: 98

Village Idiot

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 05:28:41 PM

To answer your questions directly:

Yes, the Jalapeño is essentially plug and play. It plugs in via USB and you run a small app on your PC that communicates with the network.
No, you will not make back your $350, unless the price of Bitcoin goes up substantially.
Yes, 0.002BTC sounds about right, maybe less now that the difficulty just went up. Each Jalapeño has a slightly different hash rate from the next, so it's hard to say.
No, you should not solo mine. You should join a pool (I like BTCGuild, but there are others).

I pledge never to use this space for sleazy referrals, gambling spam, or to beg for handouts.
saminer

Activity: 71
Merit: 7

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 12:27:14 AM

The ignore link really works to weed out the annoying.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:01:52 PM

Go on Kijiji and buy an S1 or a R-box.

OR go to eyeboot.com and buy the R-box miner with powersupply for $60 that hashes at 35g/hash..
thebfldoctor

Activity: 94

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:34:52 AM

I bought 4 jalapeno's for 25 euros each what a steal.

I'm getting 5th/s out of my overclocked Block Erupter, it is spitting blue fire like a Lamborghini and the temperature in my room is 129 degrees help!
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:25:53 AM

I would have sold you 300GH/s of BFL miners for that price if you paid for shipping  Tongue
johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:39:09 AM

I would have sold you 300GH/s of BFL miners for that price if you paid for shipping  Tongue

I would buy one for fun, when it would have integrated cgminer running with wlan support. its stil available new for $50 at butterflylabs hp.
Bitsaurus

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 11:44:21 AM

I would buy one for fun, when it would have integrated cgminer running with wlan support. its stil available new for $50 at butterflylabs hp.

BFL is the worst of the currently "living" ASIC companies.  If you order a "new" miner it will ship after Two Weeks and come covered in dust because they've been mining with it since last year (it will be anything but "new").
johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

BFL is the worst of the currently "living" ASIC companies.  If you order a "new" miner it will ship after Two Weeks and come covered in dust because they've been mining with it since last year (it will be anything but "new").

hahah yeah probably. they keep their miners in stock, what means, its 'living' stock. i would say its not the worst, because they actually had always a product.
Bitsaurus

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 06:55:07 PM

hahah yeah probably. they keep their miners in stock, what means, its 'living' stock. i would say its not the worst, because they actually had always a product.

Well that is why I put the qualifier of currently living.  Other ASIC companies have gone died taking their customer funds with them like bASIC and Hashfast.  But at least with those you know you're not getting anything back and can move on without aniticipating some future outcome.

Look at what BFL does stringing previous customers who should have hardware delivered in 2012 - they are stringing them out towards 2015!!!  Some people expected 65nm ASICs in October 2012, realized it wasn't going to make anything delivered late 2013 and unfortunately BFL said they would ship the newer Monarchs late last year.  It's now August 2014 - almost 2 year circle for some people!!!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=372316.0
crowetic
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1072

https://crowetic.com | https://qortal.org

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 08:40:22 PM

Are you actually defending him stealing? Wow, as if his circumstance might somehow make it ok to steal??
You are also a scumbag.

What are my thoughts ?
You will never make 350$ back with jalepeno , and stealing electricity from a business , and or taxpayers in the case you work for the government just makes you a fucking scumbag.
Even if you work for a bank , who is in fact the man, your still a scumbag for stealing.

Wow, some people here are real assholes.

Ain't that the truth. Gopher09 has no idea who OP is or what OPs personal situation is.

OP, if you want to buy the jalapeno, and you can afford to spend the money, my opinion is to do it. Buy it, plug it in, watch it chug away. You seem like you want to get into mining and I think you should. Get into it. Get your feet wet and have fun. Learn all you can about mining and the bitcoin network. Earn some bitcoin and then spend it. Give it away. Buy some, sell some, save some, get active in the bitcoin community. Talk to your friends about it. Talk to your family about it. Spread the word. Get others interested in bitcoin. Just don't expect to get rich mining, it won't happen. Unless you plan on going balls deep and even then it's a risky move.

I see so many people on this forum telling people not to get into mining because it's not worth it anymore. I call bullsh!t on that. Miners secure the network, even the little guys like us. We contribute.

he could have a scenario like I do at work, in which the business pays a flat fee to rent the space, and doesn't pay any extra for power, therefore technically I would not be stealing from anyone, as the power is free. Yes, I know someone has to pay for it, but if it was that big of a deal then they wouldn't offer free power to their renters. Just saying.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
             ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
          ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                          ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                            ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                               ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▒▒▒▒▒▒     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓
   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓              ▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒            ▓▓▓▓▓▓▒    ▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
           ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
              ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
                   ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

ORTAL
    ..Web and Application hosting.
     ⊙ decentralized infrastructure
    ..leveling and voting.
| https://qortal.org - Infrastructure for the future World
            Founder/current dev group facilitator
[/td][/tr][/table]

[/table]
muhrohmat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2015, 08:55:48 AM

well as we see it the miners in hardware jsut stay good for only one year top soo japaleno its now like god only if like 30 of it lol its amasing the diff rise and the need for new hardware not even porsperos are good now.

alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:43:11 AM

While I think a 32GH Rbox would have been a better choice (less money, less power), a Jalapeno will do just fine as an introductory Bitcoin miner. Certainly better than a GPU mining rig.

Have fun, but don't expect to get rich, or even break even.
cshelswell

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 07:51:09 AM

Wow isn't this a bit of an old thread to be bringing up?

cryptopaddles

Activity: 68
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 06:17:59 AM

Wow isn't this a bit of an old thread to be bringing up?
A 1 year old post in the bitcoin world damn near qualifies as ancient!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: