Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:42:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OFFLINE] SIMPLECOIN.US [PPLNS/SMPPS]  (Read 37995 times)
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:00:50 PM

why the hell would someone come after this pool? we are hardly a force to be reckoned with!

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hmblm1245

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:31:32 PM

why the hell would someone come after this pool? we are hardly a force to be reckoned with!

I know. It doesn't make sense.
dark_silverstar

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 10:05:14 PM

i hope my balance still safe  Shocked
AnnihilaT

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 12:46:09 PM

1) because the source is open and coding mistakes are easily found and exploited ?
2) because the pool is supporting non BTC cryptocurrencies which some people feel is reason enough ?
3) because they could ?

Good luck Mike.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 03:08:27 PM

1) because the source is open and coding mistakes are easily found and exploited ?
2) because the pool is supporting non BTC cryptocurrencies which some people feel is reason enough ?
3) because they could ?

Good luck Mike.

well you use the sc software dont you? what did you change? or are you vulnerable too?

simplecoin (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2011, 04:04:24 PM

3) because they could ?

Good luck Mike.

well you use the sc software dont you? what did you change? or are you vulnerable too?

It's highly unlikely that that it was the the simplecoin framework. This was on the pool server, not the web server Wink

Donations: 1VjGJHPtLodwCFBDWsHJMdEhqRcRKdBQk
AnnihilaT

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 10:49:32 PM

3) because they could ?

Good luck Mike.

It's highly unlikely that that it was the the simplecoin framework. This was on the pool server, not the web server Wink

ah right... not likely then or there would have been traces on the webserver.
AnnihilaT

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 10:51:24 PM

3) because they could ?

Good luck Mike.

Nope... the code branched and mmcfe is its own monster.
racerguy

Activity: 270

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 04:13:18 AM

this pool back up? My cgminer started mining simplecoin again, is it ok to leave it there?
simplecoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

this pool back up? My cgminer started mining simplecoin again, is it ok to leave it there?

The pools are currently online, although I'm still ironing things out. The site is not online yet, but shares are being counted.

simplecoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 07:07:21 PM

The pool & site are back online. BTC/NMC only until I can get tbx/gg confirmations sorted from the old wallets.

Stats are off until I can match & confirm blocks as well.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:53:04 PM

so were safe? after a password change that is?

simplecoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 07:59:11 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2011, 09:04:01 PM by simplecoin

so were safe? after a password change that is?

yes. no accounts seem accessed and all balances should remain.

UPDATE: TBX online (and all old immature balances moved to generated)

teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 03:28:41 PM

I'm glad to see that you recovered swiftly from the hack.

I'm particularly happy to see that, since coming back online, the simplecoin.us PPLNS pool has been experiencing normal levels of luck.  I will be watching the stats closely and if this pool can maintain a stable solid uptime and average luck over the next two weeks then I may rejoin.

Much respect to the true simplecoin.us supporters such as RyNinDaCleM and the Simpson's guy for sticking with this pool in its time of need, may you benefit well from the promotions!
GoldenBoar

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 08:10:54 PM

About those BTC bonuses, do they apply to all the pools or just the PPLNS pool and how come the NMC bonuses only apply to the PPLNS pool? As a gamer and part time miner, it's the only reward system I can't use.  Sad

How about throwing some of those bonuses toward the SMPPS pool. I would have had an extra 15 NMC now. Come on man, you know we need it more than they do.  Cheesy
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 01:56:40 AM

About those BTC bonuses, do they apply to all the pools or just the PPLNS pool and how come the NMC bonuses only apply to the PPLNS pool? As a gamer and part time miner, it's the only reward system I can't use.  Sad

How about throwing some of those bonuses toward the SMPPS pool. I would have had an extra 15 NMC now. Come on man, you know we need it more than they do.  Cheesy

The BTC promotion applies to all of the BTC/NMC pools.  The NMC promotion only applies to the PPLNS pool.

What is it about the PPLNS pool which means you can't use it?
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 04:02:48 AM

About those BTC bonuses, do they apply to all the pools or just the PPLNS pool and how come the NMC bonuses only apply to the PPLNS pool? As a gamer and part time miner, it's the only reward system I can't use.  Sad

How about throwing some of those bonuses toward the SMPPS pool. I would have had an extra 15 NMC now. Come on man, you know we need it more than they do.  Cheesy

The BTC promotion applies to all of the BTC/NMC pools.  The NMC promotion only applies to the PPLNS pool.

What is it about the PPLNS pool which means you can't use it?

PPLNS is geared for the 24/7 miner. He'd lose too much time invested by mining at last N shares! Realistically, he would be best off in SMPPS rather than prop since all shares are paid! In prop he will also lose some income since past shares would be worth less and less during the period he's not mining.

teukon
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 10:54:01 AM

PPLNS is geared for the 24/7 miner. He'd lose too much time invested by mining at last N shares! Realistically, he would be best off in SMPPS rather than prop since all shares are paid! In prop he will also lose some income since past shares would be worth less and less during the period he's not mining.

I don't see how PPLNS is "geared for the 24/7 miner" at all.  Share variance is higher than with other methods but, with N as large as difficulty/2, the effect is not so bad.  (Approximately: It is like comparing a $1 bill with a scratch card which has 1/4 chance of being worth $4.)

Certainly, the expected income from either 24/7 or intermittent mining at 0% PPLNS is identical to that for 0% PPS.  Average 0% PPS payout with no operator risk is one of the reasons I like this reward system.

Shares submitted to a Prop or PPLNS pool become worth less and less with time regardless of whether or not you continue to mine.  The average income per hour will be the same whether you mine 24/7 or mine intermittently (at random).  If you don't want your shares to lose value with time then PPS is practically the way to go (SMPPS when the pool balance is positive is just as good).

SMPPS is dangerous to use 24/7 because the reward system necessarily creates arbitrarily large pyramid schemes and, eventually, one will be big enough to kill the pool and any miners caught in it will lose big time.
GoldenBoar

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 11:43:40 AM

I don't see how PPLNS is "geared for the 24/7 miner" at all.  Share variance is higher than with other methods but, with N as large as difficulty/2, the effect is not so bad.  (Approximately: It is like comparing a $1 bill with a scratch card which has 1/4 chance of being worth $4.)

Certainly, the expected income from either 24/7 or intermittent mining at 0% PPLNS is identical to that for 0% PPS.  Average 0% PPS payout with no operator risk is one of the reasons I like this reward system.

Shares submitted to a Prop or PPLNS pool become worth less and less with time regardless of whether or not you continue to mine.  The average income per hour will be the same whether you mine 24/7 or mine intermittently (at random).  If you don't want your shares to lose value with time then PPS is practically the way to go (SMPPS when the pool balance is positive is just as good).

SMPPS is dangerous to use 24/7 because the reward system necessarily creates arbitrarily large pyramid schemes and, eventually, one will be big enough to kill the pool and any miners caught in it will lose big time.

RyNinDaCleM was spot on with his analysis.

Say I decide I want to do some gaming, and I stop mining before N, I don't get any reward at all. PPLNS only makes sense for 24/7 miners. It's also vulnerable to reverse pool hopping. Say you and the pool hooper had the same hashrate, you could mine the whole round and only get the same reward as the pool hooper who mined the last half (assuming N = round shares/2). You do twice the work for the same reward.
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 12:18:05 PM

RyNinDaCleM was spot on with his analysis.

Say I decide I want to do some gaming, and I stop mining before N, I don't get any reward at all. PPLNS only makes sense for 24/7 miners. It's also vulnerable to reverse pool hopping. Say you and the pool hooper had the same hashrate, you could mine the whole round and only get the same reward as the pool hooper who mined the last half (assuming N = round shares/2). You do twice the work for the same reward.

What do you mean by "and I stop mining before N"?

If you decide to stop for gaming then your shares don't disappear.  Each share will generate funds for you for any and all blocks which are found by the pool during the pool's next N shares (whether or not you mine for this period is irrelevant).  If the pool finds no blocks during the N shares following your submission then your share has failed to generate any BTC for you at all (again, whether or not you mined at the pool during this time is irrelevant).

PPLNS means that when a block is found, the reward is split uniformly between the most recently submitted N shares.  Such a reward system neither rewards nor punishes intermittent miners in terms of average income.

In PPLNS, N is normally either constant or tied to difficulty, not to "round shares".  If N were "round shares" then the reward system would suffer the usual pool hopping problem faced by proportional miners.  When N is 1 the reward system is identical to solo mining (which also neither punishes nor rewards intermittent miners in terms of average income).

Absolutely, this reward system is vulnerable to "reverse pool hopping".  Shares at the end of a round are more valuable than shares at the beginning in general.  If a hopper hops into the pool for the last N shares of each round then they are going to earn much more than a 24/7 miner or random intermittent miner.  However, this strategy requires the ability to predict the future.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: