Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:49:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Earn 0BTC for getting shops/organisations to accept Bitcoin!  (Read 97980 times)
Mahkul (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 04:37:52 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2011, 05:07:46 PM by tysat

Okay, time to motivate people to do some work.

I am going to pay 2 BTC for every on-line shop and 1 BTC for every organisation that you convince to start accepting Bitcoin as a payment/donation currency. They have to put an information about that on their website and they have to be existing, established businesses/sites with a Google Page rank of at least 3. I am not going to pay you if you create your own shop overnight just for the sake of winning the BTC or if the website is totally not popular.

If anyone wants to join me in rewarding feel free - the more BTC offered the more people will hopefully move their arses.

EDIT: If you are going to have a go at some business/organisation/site let us know before you hit on them, so that we know that it is actually you who got them to accept Bitcoin. Please do so by posting here.

EDIT2: Please be reasonable and don't send silly spam to these entities; rather compose a tailored letter to each particular business. We don't want Bitcoin to be associated with spam.

EDIT3: I thought that was obvious, but: The reward is only valid for the places that switched after this thread was created and after you declared that you were going to convince someone.

Update: The pledges so far are:

Mahkul shops: 2, organisations: 1
BitterTea shops: 0, organisations: 0
Blitzboom shops: 0, organisations: 0
dirtyfilthy shops: 0, organisations: 0
cw shops: 1, organisations: between 0.1 and 1 (depending on size)
slush shops: 3, organisations: 0 (Available BTC: 97)
mrb shops: 125, organisations: 0 (Available BTC: 375) Note: Only shops selling tangible goods and having pagerank greater from or equal 7.

Total (shops): 131BTC
Total (organisations): 1-2BTC

EDIT 4: Here is the spreadsheet for this thread (note there are two sheets - one for pledges and one for takers): http://www.editgrid.com/user/mahkul/Earn_BTC_for_promoting_Bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 05:03:42 PM

I own an online / physical business and I'm planing on accepting btc. I'll let you know when I do. I'm not sure if it counts if it's our own business.
If it's worth bonus points I'm in Chile  Grin might be a first. I'd like to open an exchange but I'm not sure if I've got the time / money / know how.

It's something I was planing on doing anyways but here's my website www.chile-deals.com I sell electronics and semi trucks / trailers / whatever else.
I'm also possibly planing on importing products to the US so maybe I'll be able to accept BTC there too. I do everything legally though so I'm not sure how I'm going to show receipts with BTC.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 05:05:56 PM

I own an online / physical business and I'm planing on accepting btc. I'll let you know when I do. I'm not sure if it counts if it's our own business.
If it's worth bonus points I'm in Chile  Grin might be a first. I'd like to open an exchange but I'm not sure if I've got the time / money / know how.

It's something I was planing on doing anyways but here's my website www.chile-deals.com I sell electronics and semi trucks / trailers / whatever else.
I'm also possibly planing on importing products to the US so maybe I'll be able to accept BTC there too. I do everything legally though so I'm not sure how I'm going to show receipts with BTC.

That's fine - hopefully this thread will speed this up for you. Smiley Just let me know once you have this implemented.
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 05:07:47 PM

I'll pledge another 5 per shop and 2.5 per organization.

Drew from Anarchy in Your Head recently switched to a funding based release schedule. Every time $40 in donations accumulates, a comic is released. I emailed him about Bitcoin and he added a MyBitcoin payment link to his page, which counts toward the comic fund. I'm not sure if this would count as a payment or donation, and I can't prove it was me, so this is a freebie. Wink
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 05:13:15 PM

I’ll pledge the same amount, this is a great idea. So it’s 20 per shop and 10 per organization now.
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 05:14:11 PM

Excellent!

Drew from Anarchy in Your Head recently switched to a funding based release schedule. Every time $40 in donations accumulates, a comic is released. I emailed him about Bitcoin and he added a MyBitcoin payment link to his page, which counts toward the comic fund. I'm not sure if this would count as a payment or donation, and I can't prove it was me, so this is a freebie. Wink

The reward is only valid for the places that switched after this thread was created, but you will be in my prayers and mantras. Well done. Smiley
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 05:21:20 PM

Sounds great.

Another possibly easy yet very very vital project would be developing plugins  / modules or whatever you want to call them for taking bitcoins online.
I use cubecart v4 for my site. Of course you could just set something up like send them an email with a unique transaction # and they use their own client to send it off. At this point it's not a huge deal but in the future if you're getting a lot of orders and could automate it you could save a huge amount of time and risk of errors.

I'll probably just add something saying I accept them at this point and a brief description and handle any btc orders manually because it's really not a lot of work. I'm just thinking future / big companies that get 10000 orders a day.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 08:24:23 PM

I personally would love to get DOSBox to accept BTC. I wrote them a few months ago, but they were not interested. :/
mitchy

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 08:40:49 PM

I just did some DNS work for astronimicsolutions.net which is relaunching right now he is going to accept Bitcoins asap even if i have to implement it for free!
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 08:58:34 PM

What kind of shop is that? I’ve never heard of it.

I’ll add to OPs restrictions that the shop/organisation needs to have a website with a Google Page rank of at least 3 in order to get awarded with my bounty, because I don’t really care about obscure, unknown shops.
fabianhjr

Activity: 322

Do The Evolution

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 02:44:44 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2011, 03:07:12 AM by fabianhjr

I convinced Pioneer One to accept Bitcoin  donations over at the facebook page. Smiley
Hey, I want to make a Bitcoin Donation!(http://bitcoinme.com/) Could you share your address? Also, if I make a Bitcoin donation(You can exchange it to dollars if you want) am I still elegible for the goodies at Vo.do?

https://www.facebook.com/pioneerone You must scroll to see it. There was a guy behind me that didn't convince them. I made a 10 BTC donation and a promise of 5 BTC per episode. After that they just started accepting it and some days after they made a publication of the address and Bitcoin. It is a strong addition. Cheesy

This is their publication:
By request, now accepting Bitcoin donations. Our Bitcoin address:

1CQcavqNsXkm6x2osFrfS8TFFrFUTZ9YC2
(3 Days after my donation and some friends)

And a member of Pioneer One crediting me as the one who cause them to accept Bitcoin Donations.

Quote from: Josh Bernhard
Thank you for turning us on to this. So far we've received 21.63 BTC and it looks like the exchange rate to USD has jumped up to $1.01

You can pay to the donation address: 1Jq6iz4actiCRq1AuxiXv1iNkCQhcu2Szk

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 02:54:26 AM

I just did some DNS work for astronimicsolutions.net which is relaunching right now he is going to accept Bitcoins asap even if i have to implement it for free!
that's not even a site :/
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>whois astronimicsolutions.net
Connecting to NET.whois-servers.net...
No whois information found.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 03:20:12 AM

What kind of shop is that? I’ve never heard of it.

I’ll add to OPs restrictions that the shop/organisation needs to have a website with a Google Page rank of at least 3 in order to get awarded with my bounty, because I don’t really care about obscure, unknown shops.

Couldn't agree more. Added.
fabianhjr

Do The Evolution

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 03:23:07 AM

Couldn't agree more. Added.

So those my action applies? I convinced a Creative Commons movie to start accepting Bitcoins and donated in the process.

Best regards, Fabian H jr Smiley

Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 03:23:30 AM

I convinced Pioneer One to accept Bitcoin  donations over at the facebook page. Smiley
Hey, I want to make a Bitcoin Donation!(http://bitcoinme.com/) Could you share your address? Also, if I make a Bitcoin donation(You can exchange it to dollars if you want) am I still elegible for the goodies at Vo.do?

https://www.facebook.com/pioneerone You must scroll to see it. There was a guy behind me that didn't convince them. I made a 10 BTC donation and a promise of 5 BTC per episode. After that they just started accepting it and some days after they made a publication of the address and Bitcoin. It is a strong addition. Cheesy

This is their publication:
By request, now accepting Bitcoin donations. Our Bitcoin address:

1CQcavqNsXkm6x2osFrfS8TFFrFUTZ9YC2
(3 Days after my donation and some friends)

And a member of Pioneer One crediting me as the one who cause them to accept Bitcoin Donations.

Quote from: Josh Bernhard
Thank you for turning us on to this. So far we've received 21.63 BTC and it looks like the exchange rate to USD has jumped up to $1.01

You can pay to the donation address: 1Jq6iz4actiCRq1AuxiXv1iNkCQhcu2Szk

That's grand, but this happened before I started this thread.
fabianhjr

Do The Evolution

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 03:27:25 AM

Can you at least donate to them? xD They could act as a turning point in the Bitcoin economy by bringing more filmmakers/films support or requesting for Bitcoins. Tongue

Also, I will fill this thread of more org's and projects than you can count. Promise! Cheesy

N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 03:37:05 AM

Thanks, Mahkul. Hopefully, that will be a sufficient filter.

Also, I will fill this thread of more org's and projects than you can count. Promise! Cheesy
Just make sure that it fits the criteria. Tongue
fabianhjr

Do The Evolution

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 03:44:24 AM

Yep, contacted GeoHot and the FSF. I have a huge contact list and have known a lot of people with leverage.

I also plan to introduce Bitcoin to a really good hacker that even you would recognize. He specializes in security, though. Tongue

BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 07:27:29 AM

Yep, contacted GeoHot and the FSF. I have a huge contact list and have known a lot of people with leverage.

I also plan to introduce Bitcoin to a really good hacker that even you would recognize. He specializes in security, though. Tongue

Assange? Smiley
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 08:12:52 AM

I'm going to write letters to Thinkgeek, Cafepress, and cam4 (NSFW). I'll let you know what I hear back from them.

Cafepress is a longshot I think, since even offering their merchants the option would require *them* to do additional work to explain what Bitcoin is. Thinkgeek could work since it would fit with their customer base. I actually think cam4 and other adult sites are a good fit, since their customers are often particularly interested in anonymity.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: