Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:52:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Earn 0BTC for getting shops/organisations to accept Bitcoin!  (Read 98064 times)
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 02:45:42 PM

Their games are totally freeware? That's gotta be worth a few coins... Looks fun thanks!

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 05:45:08 PM

Their games are totally freeware? That's gotta be worth a few coins... Looks fun thanks!

I downloaded and installed a game but it had no 'quit' feature. I tried every key combo I could think of including Escape, Alt-F4, but it would only let me play, never quit. So I had to end it using taskmanager (where I saw it was taking up 300mb for a Mario game). After that I decided to uninstall it and found it came with no uninstall program or shortcut, so I had to go via Control Panel, Add/Remove. I want my 2 btc back.

Mahkul (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 06:49:54 PM

I downloaded and installed a game but it had no 'quit' feature. I tried every key combo I could think of including Escape, Alt-F4, but it would only let me play, never quit. So I had to end it using taskmanager (where I saw it was taking up 300mb for a Mario game). After that I decided to uninstall it and found it came with no uninstall program or shortcut, so I had to go via Control Panel, Add/Remove. I want my 2 btc back.

I right clicked on the game screen I chose "Exit" from the menu. Did you try this?

Sorry to hear that you're disappointed; perhaps something changed, I haven't played their games for 2, 3 years.

You want your 2 BTC back from where? I don't recall you pledged any money for this thread?

Alex Beckenham

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 07:04:21 PM

I right clicked on the game screen I chose "Exit" from the menu. Did you try this?

Yeah I did try that.

You want your 2 BTC back from where? I don't recall you pledged any money for this thread?

I was only kidding about that...

I don't know if anyone else is doing this but I try to make a small donation to pretty much EVERY new organisation in this thread as soon as they start accepting bitcoins.

By doing so I'm not rewarding them for what they do day-to-day, I'm simply rewarding them for accepting bitcoins.

I think if someone decides to start accepting bitcoins, but then nothing comes in, they're going to give up pretty quick and delete it.

So anyone reading this thread, go through and pick some of the successes at random and send off 0.50... it doesn't even have to be an organisation you would normally deal with.

Let's applaud and reward these merchants, simply for accepting bitcoins.

dirtyfilthy

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 08:24:38 PM

10 BTC sent to softendo at  1LBg83wVW49BHqzzjX8mrvMvLkmBCmLLzN.

Also as most of the successes seem to be organisations, which I guess are the easy mark, I'm lowering my organisation pledge to 5 BTC to make this sustainable. So my pledge is now 10 BTC shops, 5 BTC organisations
Mahkul (OP)

Activity: 434

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 09:11:13 PM

10 BTC sent to softendo at  1LBg83wVW49BHqzzjX8mrvMvLkmBCmLLzN.

Also as most of the successes seem to be organisations, which I guess are the easy mark, I'm lowering my organisation pledge to 5 BTC to make this sustainable. So my pledge is now 10 BTC shops, 5 BTC organisations

Updated.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 09:12:56 PM

Yeah I did try that.

I was only kidding about that...

I don't know if anyone else is doing this but I try to make a small donation to pretty much EVERY new organisation in this thread as soon as they start accepting bitcoins.

By doing so I'm not rewarding them for what they do day-to-day, I'm simply rewarding them for accepting bitcoins.

I think if someone decides to start accepting bitcoins, but then nothing comes in, they're going to give up pretty quick and delete it.

So anyone reading this thread, go through and pick some of the successes at random and send off 0.50... it doesn't even have to be an organisation you would normally deal with.

I'm with you, it's pretty awesome for someone to accept btc even if it's donations.
I'd hate for them to have it for a few months, get nothing and take it down.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 11:34:14 PM

Well, I apply some filter first, but I tend to donate small amounts randomly.

I also monitor the address of the people I convinced to accept bitcoin for income and I realize how devastating it might be if there's nothing coming in. That's why I decided to donate half my bounty to the organisation I got it for.

exactly.

I dont think so. They set up bitcoin or a mybitcoin account and made the effort to put the address on their page.. why "delete" it?

2nd

[/quote]

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
sortedmush

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 11:49:25 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2011, 11:55:37 AM by sortedmush

going for http://www.liquidware.com .. Another open source hardware store.

Also .. Got a speedy response from Adafruit. Looking good so far.

EDIT: Feel free to go for them. Take the bounty. Good luck.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 03:37:38 AM

I agree. Shops are more difficult and also much more important because they establish Bitcoin as a currency of exchange at a specific value. Organizations accept bitcoins for free and couldn't care less if they're worth $0.01 each or $100.

If we don't have enough success in convincing shops, we will need to focus on developing ways to make it easier for them, such as this.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 08:57:15 AM

I agree. Shops are more difficult and also much more important because they establish Bitcoin as a currency of exchange at a specific value.

Agree, too. Is there any page with bitcoin plugins to well known ecommerce software? I know there are some plugins, but its pretty hard to find. As we see in this thread, site owners are asking for this. Nobody will code bitcoin payment plugin for self, but when we offer bitcoin plugins for their shops, life will be much easier. I'll pledge some money for developing those plugins, too.

mixxit

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 12:20:30 PM

Began pushing this in the minecraft developer community, mostly donation orientated

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/bukkit-accept-bitcoin-donations.12508/
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 03:22:24 PM

Doesn't qualify for a bounty, but I thought some of you might want to donate to the funding of Edgar the Exploiter, the sequel to George Ought to Help. It sounds like you can even claim the perks, but I'm not sure how.
guesswho

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 11:30:23 PM

I'm writing to erowid.org right now Smiley (501(c)(3) organization)

http://www.erowid.org/donations/donations_bitcoin.php

They've added bitcoin as an option for donations Smiley (This page is accessed via http://www.erowid.org/donations/donations.php and clicking the bitcoin logo near the paypal/mastercard/etc logos)

What do I need to do next?

That's great news! Please let us know your Bitcoin address you want to use to receive the rewards.

I can accept the reward at 1EVgCG92j2pCbxJ9tBhvwMHWV8BsGzKX7o

Thanks Mahkul

Any chance you could get them to actually MENTION Bitcoin here: http://www.erowid.org/donations/donations.php

I know there is a logo in the bottom, but when you click donate it doesn't come up as an option at all. I don't think anyone will even notice that they accept Bitcoin unless they already know about it. There should be something like they have there for paypal on that site - like a link saying: Donate through Bitcoin.

I checked out their bitcoin receiving address and looks like they're not doing too shabby for a new donations protocol. I've emailed them again to encourage a more prominent link if it continues to work out well.

Thank you to all who have donated so far Smiley
Miner-TE

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 05:17:31 AM

Tried over at DSLReports but they need an education.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25722480-Will-DSLR-accept-BTC-for-tool-points

Any DLSR users wish to assist?

BTC - 1PeMMYGn7xbZjUYeaWe9ct1VV6szLS1vkD - LTC - LbtcJRJJQQBjZuHr6Wm7vtB9RnnWtRNYpq
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 09:14:30 AM

Tried over at DSLReports but they need an education.

Any DLSR users wish to assist?
You are doing it wrong. Normal people have never heard of Bitcoin and it's a huge thing to wrap one's mind around. And you need to remember that if it "clicked" the moment you saw Bitcoin then you're not a normal person. You need to at least explain what is Bitcoin (a peer-to-peer digital currency), what they can do with it (for most people, this is selling it with CoinCard) and how to use it (MyBitcoin is a good option).

I have given my 20 mBTC on the matter earlier in the thread, if you're interested.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 09:20:37 AM

Simply that I have them and would like to see more places on the internet accept them.

Roll Eyes Excuse me, but are you serious?

EDIT:

a) Give reason to them why THEY should accept Bitcoin. "I have bitcoins" isn't enough, currently this make disservice, because it sounds pretty funny (user OZO responded in this way).
b) Send them to another site than bitcoin.org; for example weusecoins.com, bitcoinme.com or similar. bitcoin.org isn't good for absolute beginners.
c) They don't know anything about bitcoins. Tell them that Bitcoins _are_ real money and they can convert btcs to usd; Tell them about mtgox.com or coincard (and tell them your excuse for weird coincard site layout Wink ).
d) Tell them about mybitcoin.com, so they don't need to run any 'bitcoin program' and setup is free.
e) And please don't tell them anything about beating FED (you didn't do that - yet - but everytime I see "you should accept bitcoin because FED is bad", knife is opening in my pocket). We're interested in new economy model behind bitcoin, but you will motivate people with making more money better than with anti-fed activism.

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 09:24:31 AM
Last edit: April 13, 2011, 09:55:00 AM by Holy-Fire

Simply that I have them and would like to see more places on the internet accept them.
Roll Eyes Excuse me, but are you serious?
Yeah, that too. It's good that you're being honest, but they really couldn't care less what you want to do with your bitcoins.

b) Send them to another site than bitcoin.org; for example weusecoins.com, bitcoinme.com or similar. bitcoin.org isn't good for absolute beginners.
Don't send them to bitcoinme.com, it's full of errors. I think bitcoin.org is good, especially since it has weusecoins.com as the first link.

eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 03:13:47 PM

I'm looking into setting up a BitCoin checkout in my online video game store, started in January (http://www.eleuthria.com).  Trying to determine the best way to automate the process and hopefully get it implemented near the end of the month.

I'm also looking into commercializing my store's engine later this year, since I have some very unique features thanks to coding it from scratch.  The store is integrated with eBay and soon Amazon, so a store can easily sell on all 3 websites while keeping a single central inventory which can remove products/quantity counts from each site as they sell on the others.  If I do that, I will definitely look into including BitCoin as one of the checkout options in the default build.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Anonanon

Activity: 32

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 05:10:24 PM

I happen to know somebody who is very involved in Me3, a not-for-profit, volunteer and education organization in Wake County, North Carolina. I am going to try and persuade them to accept Bitcoin donations. And best if all, if I am successful, I will start by donating any 'bounty' people feel generous to reward me for his, straight to the charity instead.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: