Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:13:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is A joke and will never last.  (Read 19766 times)
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:02:56 AM

Actually btc is treated like a product by the US government, isnt that ironic?

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
apsvinet

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:14:08 PM

I dont know if its bitcoin or other but the world is just moving paper money will sometime stop existing due to the computers fast growing.Imagine if 30 years ago could we imagine what internet has done to commerce and communication science and news...
hope its bitcoin because am mining it
I doubt it will ever be BTC that goes mainstream. But it'll definitely have a value. But another crypto currency will probably be the future. Bitcoin has too much shitty reputation in mainstream media, connected to weapon trade, drug trade, contract killers etc. Also the mainstream community is slow, this will take many many years.

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
pastet89

Activity: 378
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 03:45:33 PM

Wow, are you living in fantasy world OP? Your arguments sound stupid i'm sorry..

I am not that sure. Recently I started thinking about them and it is tue that you will never be able to go the supermarket and buy a bubble gum and wait 30 minutes for 3 confirmations. I would imagine bitcoin will hold its value in future to some reasonable point and being the first cryptocurrency but it is true some other currency will replace it, at least, with faster speed.

Cryptostats.es
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:50:08 PM

They said Dogecoin was a joke and it would never last, they said the same about facebook.  Never make judgement without being open minded for the possibilites, no absolution.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
cambda

Activity: 759
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:52:30 PM

Bitcoin has too much shitty reputation in mainstream media, connected to weapon trade, drug trade, contract killers etc.

Mainstream media are not objective, cash is used here much more often  Smiley
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:07:31 PM

Wow, are you living in fantasy world OP? Your arguments sound stupid i'm sorry..

I am not that sure. Recently I started thinking about them and it is tue that you will never be able to go the supermarket and buy a bubble gum and wait 30 minutes for 3 confirmations. I would imagine bitcoin will hold its value in future to some reasonable point and being the first cryptocurrency but it is true some other currency will replace it, at least, with faster speed.

The flaw I see in that argument is that it does not take into account the additional layers that will evolve on top of the bitcoin protocol. For example, when you buy a pack of bubble gum at the supermarket and use your credit card or a check the same risk emerges. The card could be bogus, it could be stolen, the check could bounce, the buyer could dispute the sale, etc. Their is no way to really confirm that you can pay for that gum. But the card issuer or bank uses it's internal systems and hedges with insurance to allow the sale. Later they sort it out and eventually the store gets it's money.
Bitcoin begins confirming in 10mins. And even after 1 confirmation it is safe to consider it a done deal on small purchases. It is not cost effective  to summon a huge array of supercomputers to create a fake block so that the bad actor can steal a pack of gum. If you were selling a house then you may want to wait for a full 6 confirmations, but what is an hour when buying a house?
Retailers I have talked with love that bitcoin is so fast. A credit card transaction or a check may look fast from the perspective of the buyer, but for the seller it is the first step in getting their money. When a bitcoin transaction goes through, the seller has the money in minutes and the whole thing is over with no risk of charge-backs or fraud.  

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:09:35 PM

Sometimes when people ask me to tell them a joke I just say, "bitcoin", and we all have a good laugh.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
bbeagle

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:31:06 PM

Sometimes when people ask me to tell them a joke I just say, "bitcoin", and we all have a good laugh.

Q: Why is there no gold at the end of the rainbow?
A: The leprechaun took it and traded it for bitcoins!

Q: What is the difference between a bitcoin and a US Dollar?
A: A bitcoin is worth 500 US Dollars!

MICRO
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1037

CEO @ Stake.com and Primedice.com

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 04:34:56 PM

Q: Why is there no gold at the end of the rainbow?
A: The leprechaun took it and traded it for bitcoins!

Q: What is the difference between a bitcoin and a US Dollar?
A: A bitcoin is worth 500 US Dollars!

Its actually 461$ atm . Bitcoin is to good to fail. We will see in the future.

▄▄████████▄▄
   ▄████████████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀       ▀▀████     ████                  ████
▄████▀            ████    ████▌                 ▐████
█████           ▄████▀   ▐████                  ████▌    ▄▄
█████           ▀▀▀▀    ▄█████████▀            ▐████   ▄███▀
 █████▄           ▄▄███████████▀▀   ▄▄▄▄       ████  ▄███▀
   ▀█████▄▄       ▀████▀████▀     ▄████▀███   ▐███████▀▀        ▄▄▄▄
      ▀███████▄        ▐████    ▄████  ▐██▌   ███████        ▄███▀ ██▌
         ▀▀██████▄▄    ████    ▄███▀   ███   ▐███▌███      ▄███▀  ▄██▌
    ▄▄▄▄     ▀▀█████  ▐████    ████   ▄███   ████ ▐███    ▐████▄▄███▀
  █████▀▀      ▀████▌ ▐████▄▄██████▄▄█████▄▄█████  ▀███   ████
 ████▀          ████▌  ▀████▀▀  ▀████▀  ▀██▀ ███▀   ▀███  ▀████▄▄▄▄██
████▌          █████        ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄ ▄▄ ▄ ▄▄ ▀███   ▀▀████▀▀
████▄       ▄▄████▀       ▄█▀   ▀ ▄█▀  ▀█▄ ██▀▀██▀▀██▀███▄▄      ▄▄██
 ██████████████▀▀  ▄███▄  ██▄     ██▄  ▄██ ██  ██  ██   ▀▀█████████▀▀
   ▀██████▀▀▀      ▀███▀   ▀████▀  ▀████▀  ██  ██  ██

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀

● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● RAKEBACK & VIP RANKS
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:35:14 PM

Zero-confirm transactions are often faster than credit and debit card purchases, and in many use cases have lower expected losses due to fraud as well.  

Right now the network is quite well behaved it is difficult to successfully double-spend a zero-confirm (instant) transaction.  I would accept up to $3000 of value in a face-to-face zero-confirm transaction, and probably up to $400 remotely.  For larger values, I would wait for 1 to several confirmations, depending on the values involved.  

We don't yet know how the network will behave in the future.  We do know however, that the bitcoin economy will suffer aggregate losses due to zero-confirm fraud no greater than:

(% losses on zero confirm TXs) <=
  (weighted % of TXs where double spending is attempted) x (% of hash power that accepts out-of-band double-spends for a fee)

If we assume that 10% of the hash power is willingly complicit in facilitating zero-confirm double-spending, and consumers in aggregate attempt to double spend 2% of all transactions, then we would expect losses no greater than (0.1) x (0.02) = 0.2%.  This would be already much better than the losses due to Visa, MasterCard or PayPal fraud.  For 1+ confirms, the losses due to double spending would be almost non-existant.  

Lastly, any merchant is free to require 1, 2, 3 + confirms if the expected losses are too high.

Here is a discussion on what it actually takes to successfully double-spend in a brick and mortar store:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=549141.msg5977547#msg5977547

And here is a discussion on the ethics of bitcoin mining as applied to zero-confirm fraud:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=502571.0

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
bbeagle

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:37:26 PM

For example, when you buy a pack of bubble gum at the supermarket and use your credit card or a check the same risk emerges. The card could be bogus, it could be stolen, the check could bounce, the buyer could dispute the sale, etc. Their is no way to really confirm that you can pay for that gum.

That's not how it works.

If you buy a pack of bubble gum at the supermarket, Visa/Mastercard GUARANTEE to give the merchant the money. That's one reason the merchant pays Visa/Mastercard 2-3%. Visa/Mastercard then take any risks like the card is stolen. If the card was stolen, Visa/Mastercard STILL pays the merchant, it's just them that are out the money.

A check, on the other hand, is more like bitcoin. The merchant takes the risk. The merchant deposits the check and after a few days (maybe as long as 5) it clears and is valid. Which is why merchants usually require ID when taking checks, so they can either track the person down to get the money, or to put their name and picture up at the store to warn to not allow this person to buy at the store.

Should bitcoin transactions work like checks, where the merchants get the ID from the bitcoin users? Or will there be a middleman like Visa/Mastercard that will guarantee the transactions, but charge a fee?

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:40:32 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2014, 05:08:03 PM by Peter R

For example, when you buy a pack of bubble gum at the supermarket and use your credit card or a check the same risk emerges. The card could be bogus, it could be stolen, the check could bounce, the buyer could dispute the sale, etc. Their is no way to really confirm that you can pay for that gum.

That's not how it works.

If you buy a pack of bubble gum at the supermarket, Visa/Mastercard GUARANTEE to give the merchant the money.

No they don't.  That is the concept of a charge back.  Visa/Mastercard don't lose: the customer or the merchant does.  Charge-back fraud is a serious problem for merchant's accepting credit cards.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:44:34 PM

Everytime one of these threads bugs me I google "Hitler sells all of his bitcoins" and have a good laugh.  I'm sure this guy will be going on about how bitcoin will die 10 years from now when it's become popular.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:58:36 PM

That's not how it works.

If you buy a pack of bubble gum at the supermarket, Visa/Mastercard GUARANTEE to give the merchant the money. That's one reason the merchant pays Visa/Mastercard 2-3%. Visa/Mastercard then take any risks like the card is stolen. If the card was stolen, Visa/Mastercard STILL pays the merchant, it's just them that are out the money.

A check, on the other hand, is more like bitcoin. The merchant takes the risk. The merchant deposits the check and after a few days (maybe as long as 5) it clears and is valid. Which is why merchants usually require ID when taking checks, so they can either track the person down to get the money, or to put their name and picture up at the store to warn to not allow this person to buy at the store.

Should bitcoin transactions work like checks, where the merchants get the ID from the bitcoin users? Or will there be a middleman like Visa/Mastercard that will guarantee the transactions, but charge a fee?

What you are saying is still what I am saying. Although it is not MC/Visa that is out the money. They are insured against such losses and pass that expense on to customers. What this shows is that their system is fundamentally weaker than bitcoin and needs to have it's hand held. Once a bitcoin transaction is completed the vendor has money and nothing can change that. In that way it is NOTHING like a check. A check is nothing more than an IOU. It may take a week to get actual money from that sale and without checking the identity of the check writer the system is extremely vulnerable to fraud.
There is absolutely no reason a seller needs your identity with bitcoin. Within minutes the seller has their money and they could care less who paid.  However I do still think middle men will evolve to handle hyper-fast transactions. Indeed companies like bit-pay are already moving into this space.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 06:29:49 PM

I dont know if its bitcoin or other but the world is just moving paper money will sometime stop existing due to the computers fast growing.Imagine if 30 years ago could we imagine what internet has done to commerce and communication science and news...
hope its bitcoin because am mining it
I doubt it will ever be BTC that goes mainstream. But it'll definitely have a value. But another crypto currency will probably be the future. Bitcoin has too much shitty reputation in mainstream media, connected to weapon trade, drug trade, contract killers etc. Also the mainstream community is slow, this will take many many years.

The USD is connected to more criminal activity that Bitcoin will ever be.  For example, take a narcotic sniffing dog into any financial institution and let it check for the presence of an odor of illegal narcotics in the bulk currency on hand.  The K-9 will hit every time. 
nazban

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 06:33:05 PM

OP sends money to a friend, transaction takes 15 minutes to verify... OP quits crypto currency.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 06:44:21 PM

strongly disagree, bitcoin adotpion is only matter of time
so many startups, so many ATM's

just everything takes time
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 07:09:57 PM

this is very true with all of the new atms and everyting comiong up bitcoin is becoming more and more popular each year and i dont see it ever ending now

MICRO
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1037

CEO @ Stake.com and Primedice.com

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 07:19:54 PM

this is very true with all of the new atms and everyting comiong up bitcoin is becoming more and more popular each year and i dont see it ever ending now

Damn Tom (durrrr) Dwan is on btctalk Cheesy

▄▄████████▄▄
   ▄████████████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀       ▀▀████     ████                  ████
▄████▀            ████    ████▌                 ▐████
█████           ▄████▀   ▐████                  ████▌    ▄▄
█████           ▀▀▀▀    ▄█████████▀            ▐████   ▄███▀
 █████▄           ▄▄███████████▀▀   ▄▄▄▄       ████  ▄███▀
   ▀█████▄▄       ▀████▀████▀     ▄████▀███   ▐███████▀▀        ▄▄▄▄
      ▀███████▄        ▐████    ▄████  ▐██▌   ███████        ▄███▀ ██▌
         ▀▀██████▄▄    ████    ▄███▀   ███   ▐███▌███      ▄███▀  ▄██▌
    ▄▄▄▄     ▀▀█████  ▐████    ████   ▄███   ████ ▐███    ▐████▄▄███▀
  █████▀▀      ▀████▌ ▐████▄▄██████▄▄█████▄▄█████  ▀███   ████
 ████▀          ████▌  ▀████▀▀  ▀████▀  ▀██▀ ███▀   ▀███  ▀████▄▄▄▄██
████▌          █████        ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄ ▄▄ ▄ ▄▄ ▀███   ▀▀████▀▀
████▄       ▄▄████▀       ▄█▀   ▀ ▄█▀  ▀█▄ ██▀▀██▀▀██▀███▄▄      ▄▄██
 ██████████████▀▀  ▄███▄  ██▄     ██▄  ▄██ ██  ██  ██   ▀▀█████████▀▀
   ▀██████▀▀▀      ▀███▀   ▀████▀  ▀████▀  ██  ██  ██

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀

● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● RAKEBACK & VIP RANKS
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
apsvinet

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 07:24:27 PM

One and a half month. Bitcoin is still going strong and OP has gotten nowhere. Surprise! Smiley

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: