Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:22:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: When will smartphones used for bitcoin mining?  (Read 4835 times)
d0flaming0

Activity: 402
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 04:34:39 AM

Too much stress on the phone. I don't think this will happen anytime soon. Since phones are super tiney compared to miners already it would heat up way too much and most likely destroy your phone. If not, it would render your phone useless very quickly. Battery is also an issue. But at that point you are better off getting a computer to mine it since you will be hooked on to the power all the time.

As much as it does sound as a lofty ambition, we can compare that logic with some referential data.

Look at the term 'computer', it does encompass a whole lot of device-inclusions that were not in the original design as in the days of the vacuum tubes.

So it is possible and could really be a turning scape for the entire blockchain industry. It's possible that companies are currently venturing into that scope as we speak.
i don't think it is possible as of now, because as we can see mining needs a lot of resources before you can start the said procedure. In addition that the latest specs for smartphones aren't that great to support such stressful activities on your phones. Maybe someday it could be possible but not now i guess.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
player514
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 05:30:00 AM

As we all know that smartphones are just like computer nowadays that has strong storage capacity and processor. This I think could be enable to mine bitcoin and this is what I am waiting for if there are any smartphones company that would offer their smartphones for bitcoin mining or even as a smartphone that works as digital hardware wallet for bitcoin and other crypto. I am waiting for it to happen. Do you think that it will happen?

Since most of us who have been into the cryptocurrency space know that the base of a crypto coin is mining. Yes, mining some crypto coins on your smartphone is possible. But, there’s a lot of conditions that apply and requirements at a minimum for that to happen, and that too efficiently. Mining a bitcoin actually requires your processor cores to work and write the code, make the calculations, and finally, they come up with the shares in the pool that accumulates to convert into a certain amount of the coin you are trying to mine. So, is it viable? After months of mining, you would be hardly making one full coin from your high-end smartphone that has the latest ARM-based processor and a good clock speed.

This area is up for grabs! PM me if you're interested.
laracastvue

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 07:49:41 AM

As we all know that smartphones are just like computer nowadays that has strong storage capacity and processor. This I think could be enable to mine bitcoin and this is what I am waiting for if there are any smartphones company that would offer their smartphones for bitcoin mining or even as a smartphone that works as digital hardware wallet for bitcoin and other crypto. I am waiting for it to happen. Do you think that it will happen?

Smartphones today are already possible to use for bitcoin mining because there are applications that can run in the browser and can be used to mine cryptocurrency.
Ianbadz2000

Activity: 139
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 08:34:43 AM

Theres nothing imposible nowadays many are so intilligent by doing such great things involving the technology,,,so by year many gadgets has been made so i say its possible now and im waiting for that moment because smartphones is easy to carry.
gosha18

Activity: 47

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 09:36:12 AM

When they create such smartphones that can withstand such information, then we will use it.
wizmo

Activity: 658
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 09:43:08 AM

I think it can be done. I have seen many people in my country currently mining ETN and they are earning decent money but in future we can mine bitcoins and other altcoins with smartphones. We are currently living in a world where anything is  possible. I think smartphones will take place of computer and laptop in future.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2018, 10:00:28 AM
Merited by DarkStar_ (5), wizmo (5)

I've waddled trough 4 pages and tried to read most replies... I tought about just letting this thread pass by, but since i've seen nonsense being spewed, even by longtime members, i had no other choice than to set the record straight.

I would propose that everybody tries to read this post (i've tried to make it as newbie friendly as humanly possible, even if it meant oversimplifying) and ONLY post in this thread if you have LEGITIMATE questions about my post or if you have PROOF that i messed up. If there are no more questions, or if you fail to deliver proof that my reasoning is wrong, please let this thread die in piece (this topic has been discussed to death anyways).

(part of) The theory
In order to mine a block, a miner makes a new block header by taking the sha256d hash of the header of the previous block, adding the merkle root of all transactions in the block he's trying to solve, adding some other data that isn't interesting for this post and adding a random nonce (usually incremental). In order to solve the block, a miner increments the nonce and then executes following formula: sha256(sha256(new block header)). If the result of this algorithm is under a certain target, the block is considered to be solved and can be broadcasted to the network. If the result of the algorithm is over the target, the miner increments the nonce and tries again.

The target value is determined by the difficulty. The bitcoin network adusts this difficulty everytime 2016 blocks were solved (about 2 weeks). The difficulty is adjusted upwards or downwards to make sure the average time between 2 blocks is 10 minutes. So, if a lot of hashrate would be added to the network, the difficulty would shift upwards after a maximum of 2 weeks, this rising difficulty would make the target value lower, making it harder to solve a block.

My answer to the misconceptions:
  • Calculating a sha256 hash isn't really hard to do... You can even mine using a pen and paper... HOWEVER, since the networks hashrate is soooo high, the difficulty is sooooo high and the target is sooooooo low, the odds of finding a block are incredibly small (you would need an army of about 130.000 skilled mathematicians to create 1 sha256d hash result a second... By comparison, an antminer S9 creates 14000000000000 hashes each second). So, all in all, a cellphone's CPU or GPU *could* create sha256d hashes, however, the odds of ever finding a block, or even generate enough shares to get the minimum payout @ a pool are incredibly small... I once calculated you'd have better odds of winning the lottery several times in a row than than finding a block with your cellphone. In reality it's better to say it's impossible to mine with a cellphone/cpu/gpu... It makes life easyer for everybody
  • In the future, it's indeed possible we move to 7 nm chips, and your cellphone becomes more powerfull than the PC you're using today... However, there is no reason to assume ASIC producers wouldn't follow the same technological trends. In other words: by the time cellphone companies are using 7 nm tech, ASIC producers will probably have switched to the same technology... Since an ASIC is generated for the sole purpose of creating sha256d hashes, it'll always be thousands of times more powerfull than a cellphone. They'll just push the difficulty to a level even future cellphones can't reach. So everybody saying: 'in the future you'll be able to mine bitcoin with your cellphone' => i'm sorry, but the odds of you being right are extreeeeemly small
  • it's true samsung created a mining rig out of old cellphones. While their hashrate was higher than running one of those novelty mining apps you can find in the playstore, the power consumption vs the hashrate was still very, very, very, very poor. The hashrate in itself was really low to... So while it was true that samsung created such a mining rig, it should be considered as a proof of concept, something to show off with, or maybe a learning tool for samsung's engineers... However, you can not treat this samsung project as a legitimate mining project

Last but not least, i wanted to raise 2 extra points:
1) it's perfectly possible some altcoins could be mined with your cellphone/cpu/gpu... But we're in the bitcoin mining subforum.
2) if you want mathematical proof, check out my website: https://www.mocacinno.com/mining/ . I've included a couple mobile cpu's because this question keeps on surfacing, and i wanted to proof to everybody that is spewing out nonsense that it's NOT a good idear to mine with your phone. For example, at current diff, mining with an ARM Cortex-A8 (a common cellphone CPU) in a pool would make your less than 1 satoshi per year...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Renai0925

Activity: 268
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 10:01:45 AM

The amount of hashing power required for mining bitcoins is astronomical compared to what a cellphone can do. I'm not saying that it's not possible to do it. You can try and it will work. But with cellphones you'll probably get  miniscule amounts of bitcoin in a year. And that's you cellphone running 24/7 and you got to pay the maintenance like electricity and cooling.

● sgamepro ●   ❐ Telegram ❐   ❐ Whitepaper ❐     ● sgamepro ●
███   PLAY MOBILE GAMES MINE   ███
██████      CRYPTO-TOKENS EARN REAL MONEY ██████
ohzeih5n

Activity: 121

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 10:19:10 AM

I think some of them are already doing the job but it's a minority. From my point of view, Mining is not efficient when it's done with phones whatever the power of the smatphone is..

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
nidacoinlove

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 10:31:42 AM

It won't happen.

Smartphone for bitcoin mining? you are just destroying your phone.

Smartphone as digital wallet, you can simply download an app / wallet and that's how you make it as your wallet.
Yeah smartphones are not capable of mining, mining nowadays is not possible or is useless with the simple CPU, Gpu are used for mining and even the old models of GPU are not efficient for mining. Smartphones are only capable of communication no matter how strong their processor are. You will not be able to fulfil the power need for mining, the batteries of smartphones can not run more than 4 hours of continuous use within a few months.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2018, 10:33:56 AM

It won't happen.

Smartphone for bitcoin mining? you are just destroying your phone.

Smartphone as digital wallet, you can simply download an app / wallet and that's how you make it as your wallet.
Yeah smartphones are not capable of mining, mining nowadays is not possible or is useless with the simple CPU, Gpu are used for mining and even the old models of GPU are not efficient for mining. Smartphones are only capable of communication no matter how strong their processor are. You will not be able to fulfil the power need for mining, the batteries of smartphones can not run more than 4 hours of continuous use within a few months.

We're in the bitcoin mining subforum.... You can not make any profit mining with a GPU.
IF you want to mine profitably, you'll need a latest gen ASIC, a very low power price, big starting capital and a (semi)dedicated mining room.

If you got your hands on some of the best GPU's, at current diff and BTC price, you'd make about 14 cents a year mining 24/7... Offcourse, even if you only pay 5 cents/Kwu, the power company would charge you over 65 dollars for the power you've used while mining, making your net profit minus $65.
https://www.mocacinno.com/mining/mining.php?filter_type=GPU

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hermae

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 10:47:25 AM

In the future I think it can happen. With our technology nowadays, and with the cryptocurrency becoming more and more popular, maybe the research and development of some mobile phone company is doing it now.
alfs75

Activity: 392

platform for everyday business

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:00:31 AM

I thinks maybe this happen soon,because technology is much more consecutively everyday improve,and maybe oneday we when we woke up,this smartphone would been have an application of crypto mining,but as this moment we need a computer hardware or rigs in order to produce a crypto mining investment.

T O W E R B E E      |  PLATFORM FOR EVERYDAY BUSINESS       [ CRYPTOEXCHANGE TowerX ]
▬        ICO  >  on our exchange TowerX        ▬
FACEBOOK           MEDIUM           TWITTER           LINKEDIN           REDDIT           TELEGRAM
tranquangvinh

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:07:25 AM

It's possible but I think we will not use it for bitcoin mining because it will heat up and harm the phone. Even if we use the phone for bitcoin mining, it will not give us much profit because its productivity is too low .
jakagintiri

Activity: 420

www.coinxes.io

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:32:54 AM

I think it is very possible, now there is already a smart phone that is specially designed for crypto like htc exodus and it is a bold step taken by a telecommunications company and did not rule out that other brands will follow htc and there will be mobile phones in specialize to mine bitcoin.

ejandjm18

Activity: 91

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:38:42 AM

Well bitcoin mining needs a strong capacity and storage so that it provide more profit as well. Some smartphones was created for chatting, texting, calling as well as surfing and etc. In a result the lifespan of these phones were shortened due to over used its capacity which is not capable in bitcoin mining. Hopefully, future smartphone designs can be used i bitcoin mining.
Luthfiyaaa

Activity: 468

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 02:32:30 PM

can. I ever used my smartphone to mining bitcoin and altcoin. but it makes my smartphone experience a decrease in power, slightly broken and the battery drained quickly. I think it is not recommended if you want to use smartphone for mining bitcoin because the results are few and long and can broken the smartphone.
herrzinfakt

Activity: 47

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 02:50:46 PM

It's possible. You can mine for bitcoin. It is going to be very inefficient. You can't use the gpu or the cpu of those tiny little things to mine anything useful. You won't be making much of a profit out of it. Plus you are going to be connected to the power supply the whole time since you will drain the battery really quickly.
7Dyoknga5

Activity: 210
Merit: 1

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 02:51:46 PM

Doubt it. If the smartphones will be regularly plugged in, then ot could. But won't the chips fry up?

Even low specs desktops are questionable as it requires a lot of memory to process. Smartphones also have pre installed apps that would also consume some of the RAM.

But it won't be long till a smartphone will be released in the market that could function as a mining device.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬⬢          Buddy          ⬢▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Decentralized Development Automation Platform
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬⬢ token.buddy.works ⬢▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 03:07:58 PM

It is ridiculous to even think about smartphones being used for Bitcoin mining. Your smartphone may get fried in one month's time and by then you may earn about $0.01 from the mining routine.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: