Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:14:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: delete  (Read 23875 times)
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 11:36:39 PM

I hope the community can forgive me for this lapse.

Like I said, no one bats 1.0, in my eyes you've gained credibility by stepping up and acknowledging a misunderstanding.

Agreed. I wasn't trying to be a dick with my comment about it, he just interrupted my soap opera when it was getting really good.

To the ones who say that they have more respect for Maged by steping back on his decision and publicly admit it: YOU ARE LYING! All that's gonna happen is, next time he takes another moderation decision you'll just make his life miserable and question him about it, thus showing your complete disrespect for his decisions as a moderator.

No, not at all. I don't think people should risk a ban just for disagreeing with a mod. A little oversight never hurt anyone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 11:36:45 PM

BEX still hasn't actually proven a damn thing, and has claimed an awful lot.
It wouldn't be hard for him to shift some coins around and show us that he has them.

If making a claim without providing proof is reason to be banned, then surely SC should be banned for claiming SC2 is 51% attack-proof but not not offering proof (e.g. the source-code).

Note: I DON'T believe making a claim without substantiating it is a reason for banning.

I'm not even sure why SC is on here tbh.

Bitcoin is an open-source, decentralised, peer-to-peer currency.
SC2 is a closed-source, centralised, peer-to-trusted node (which may as well be servers for the non-existent disclosure about them), currency.

I guess that it uses cryptography is the only pont of relevance - but when it's not even disclosed what the cryptograph(s) used are then there's really little that can be usefully discussed.  In effect it's a commercial product (you can't get much more commercial than taxing currency at creation - irrespective of vague assertions of "good intent" with the taxed proceeds) using this forum for free advertising - with the stated intent of harming the product this forum was designed to support.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 11:38:50 PM

I manage a very successful forum, and despite sometimes I don't agree with some moderation decisions and I could have the last word on the subject I would never take back on my own a decision a moderator took just because users don't like it , even if the moderator was completely wrong. I would be better just removing moderation powers from the moderator if that was to happen.

I for one am thankful the mods here have more humility than to enforce poor decisions.

Me too Grin. Moderation is very good on this forum. Not too strict and not too loose. I for one have taken the role of comic relief in the alternate cryptocurrency subsection and have not got slammed for it Wink Just loving the hate between the SC and BTC people. It really is fun to watch and contribute to this "battle" against the "glorious leader".

Good work forum people.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 11:44:09 PM

BEX still hasn't actually proven a damn thing, and has claimed an awful lot.
It wouldn't be hard for him to shift some coins around and show us that he has them.

If making a claim without providing proof is reason to be banned, then surely SC should be banned for claiming SC2 is 51% attack-proof but not not offering proof (e.g. the source-code).

Note: I DON'T believe making a claim without substantiating it is a reason for banning.

I'm not even sure why SC is on here tbh.

Bitcoin is an open-source, decentralised, peer-to-peer currency.
SC2 is a closed-source, centralised, peer-to-trusted node (which may as well be servers for the non-existent disclosure about them), currency.

I guess that it uses cryptography is the only pont of relevance - but when it's not even disclosed what the cryptograph(s) used are then there's really little that can be usefully discussed.  In effect it's a commercial product (you can't get much more commercial than taxing currency at creation - irrespective of vague assertions of "good intent" with the taxed proceeds) using this forum for free advertising - with the stated intent of harming the product this forum was designed to support.

+1 Well said.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 11:46:20 PM

If the SolidCoin sources are actually released, then we'll see the real attacks.

Buy & Hold
bulanula

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 11:47:20 PM

If the SolidCoin sources are actually released, then we'll see the real attacks.

Sounds plausible.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 11:57:14 PM

I hope the community can forgive me for this lapse.

Like I said, no one bats 1.0, in my eyes you've gained credibility by stepping up and acknowledging a misunderstanding.

+1.  Far more than I expected.

Lets face it BCE is a drama queen however his action IMHO are useful in showing the vulnerabilities of crypto-currency.  If crypto-currency every handles a non-trivial amount of transactions it will be subject to larger and more sophisticated attacks likely without warning or admission. 

I respect the fact that Maged took a second look at the issue.  BCE pushes many people's "buttons" so an over-reaction regarding him is not unexcepted.  A reasonable dialog after the fact was unexpected and most refreshing.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 12:08:14 AM

Actually pretty much what he said he was going to do, he has. A lot of very knowledgeable forum members seems to consider him factual.

Geist Geld - Two successful attacks
Fairbrix -Reorged the chain and stole over 1700 blocks.
Namecoin - Rumored to have paid off by NMC Dev not to attack
Solidcoin 1 - Scared CH so bad he killed the chain as a precaution after seeing GG hit.
I0C and IXC - Numerous test for 51%, basically killed them
Bitparking - Number 1 suspect in DS attack has every trait of BCX

Coinotron - was working fine, BCX announces attack and three minutes later it shoots to 97% stales and stays there.

This guy has closed down every non BTC exchange at one point or another.

His weapons are mass resources and is apparently someone well connected in the computer industry.

He indicated what he was going to do to SC 20 and did it. He uses pure hashing power applied at the precise times. The only known code exploit was when he used ArtForz Time Travel and had some of his people modify it.

Made the statement last night right before it happened that he bump up SC 20 block generation to 4 per second, it did and stayed there.

Doesn't sound like BS to me.

Thanks for the detailed info and enlightening me.

I can confirm. This guy has got almost infinite power and $$$ and tons of connections in all areas ( he was threatening to downrank solidcoin.info on SEO etc. ). He is dangerous and not just blowing hot air.

Cool. Nice to see someone not talking out their ass for once.

--

On to another few question, if it could be answered by you guys or BitcoinEXpress.

Is BitcoinEXpress and his team trying to protect Bitcoin? And is he trying to protect users from being scammed by these alternatives? If so, he and his team has my support.

If the above is true, this question here is irrelevant. Wouldn't we all want less miners in Bitcoin to bring the difficulty down? Bringing down these alternative cryptocurrencies are most likely gonna bring/attract these alternative cryptocurrencies users back to Bitcoin mining, driving the difficulty up. I seen he is a huge supporter for Bitcoin, then why bring the alternative cryptocurrencies down, and drive the difficulty up in Bitcoin and why not just let the alternative cryptocurrencies users dig their own grave instead of using his "BitcoinEXpress" resources? If this /\ makes sense.

RandyFolds

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 12:13:29 AM

Actually pretty much what he said he was going to do, he has. A lot of very knowledgeable forum members seems to consider him factual.

Geist Geld - Two successful attacks
Fairbrix -Reorged the chain and stole over 1700 blocks.
Namecoin - Rumored to have paid off by NMC Dev not to attack
Solidcoin 1 - Scared CH so bad he killed the chain as a precaution after seeing GG hit.
I0C and IXC - Numerous test for 51%, basically killed them
Bitparking - Number 1 suspect in DS attack has every trait of BCX

Coinotron - was working fine, BCX announces attack and three minutes later it shoots to 97% stales and stays there.

This guy has closed down every non BTC exchange at one point or another.

His weapons are mass resources and is apparently someone well connected in the computer industry.

He indicated what he was going to do to SC 20 and did it. He uses pure hashing power applied at the precise times. The only known code exploit was when he used ArtForz Time Travel and had some of his people modify it.

Made the statement last night right before it happened that he bump up SC 20 block generation to 4 per second, it did and stayed there.

Doesn't sound like BS to me.

Thanks for the detailed info and enlightening me.

I can confirm. This guy has got almost infinite power and $$$ and tons of connections in all areas ( he was threatening to downrank solidcoin.info on SEO etc. ). He is dangerous and not just blowing hot air.

Cool. Nice to see someone not talking out their ass for once.

--

On to another few question, if it could be answered by you guys or BitcoinEXpress.

Is BitcoinEXpress and his team trying to protect Bitcoin? And is he trying to protect users from being scammed by these alternatives? If so, he and his team has my support.

If the above is true, this question here is irrelevant. Wouldn't we all want less miners in Bitcoin to bring the difficulty down? Bringing down these alternative cryptocurrencies are most likely gonna bring/attract these alternative cryptocurrencies users back to Bitcoin mining, driving the difficulty up. I seen he is a huge supporter for Bitcoin, then why bring the alternative cryptocurrencies down, and drive the difficulty up in Bitcoin and why not just let the alternative cryptocurrencies users dig their own grave instead of using his "BitcoinEXpress" resources? If this /\ makes sense.

I don't know...before he started his attacking them phase, he was shilling the hell out of it for them, and going on endlessly about how much btc he made from each.

Way back in the ixcoin days, I think we agreed that alt-chains are bullshit, but I spent a lot of time telling him he was a douche for participating in them and that he was just as scummy as the creators for profiting off them. He said he was only in it for the profits, and didn't give a rat's ass about bitcoin.
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 12:14:18 AM

From what I can tell, BTX isn't on any kind of 'mission', he just enjoys playing around with alt-chains. He has demonstrated he's willing to work with the chains he attacks (to strengthen them), but that's only if the devs are receptive. I believe the only reasons he's been so hard on SC is due to the arrogance of CH and other SC supporters.

Plus, many of these new alt-chains are CPU based, thus having no impact on BTC difficulty.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 12:15:38 AM

The simplest answer:
He just likes to brag, nothing more.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 12:16:25 AM

I manage a very successful forum, and despite sometimes I don't agree with some moderation decisions and I could have the last word on the subject I would never take back on my own a decision a moderator took just because users don't like it , even if the moderator was completely wrong. I would be better just removing moderation powers from the moderator if that was to happen.

I for one am thankful the mods here have more humility than to enforce poor decisions.

Me too Grin. Moderation is very good on this forum. Not too strict and not too loose. I for one have taken the role of comic relief in the alternate cryptocurrency subsection and have not got slammed for it Wink Just loving the hate between the SC and BTC people. It really is fun to watch and contribute to this "battle" against the "glorious leader".

Good work forum people.
I didn't want to say anything since I didn't want this topic to diverge anymore than I've already made it diverge, but you'll be taken out shortly. Theymos was supposed to send you a warning (unless it turns out that you really are smoothie, in which case you've been warned enough). Off-topic posts are not acceptable.

From what I can tell, BTX isn't on any kind of 'mission', he just enjoys playing around with alt-chains. He has demonstrated he's willing to work with the chains he attacks (to strengthen them), but that's only if the devs are receptive. I believe the only reasons he's been so hard on SC is due to the arrogance of CH and other SC supporters.

Plus, many of these new alt-chains are CPU based, thus having no impact on BTC difficulty.
I believe that, in the past, he said that he just sees these alt-currencies as a testing ground for Bitcoin. I can't remember if it was him who actually said it, though.

johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 12:24:44 AM

I believe that, in the past, he said that he just sees these alt-currencies as a testing ground for Bitcoin. I can't remember if it was him who actually said it, though.

Found it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47199.msg562507#msg562507

3) All Alt Chains are nothing more than test subjects to me except for TBX, I like TBX.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 12:29:36 AM

Following the debate with interest.  The above post catches the eye.  Nice compliment in a round about sort of way.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 12:30:22 AM

Alright, thank you all for taking the time answering my questions with the best information to/of your knowledge. I'll keep lurking here for now.
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 01:40:59 AM

How can you "confirm" that he is rich and powerful? You actually have to know something to confirm it.
bulanula

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 01:47:32 AM

How can you "confirm" that he is rich and powerful? You actually have to know something to confirm it.

That is the impression I got. Guy owns like 30k of namecoins and 100 000 of Bitcoins etc. He is like ArtForz guy but more black hat type etc. Early adopter and made a fortune. Now he can afford to kill any chain he pleases etc.
Bobnova

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 01:58:10 AM

Guy hasn't proven he owns any of anything at all.

He says he does, but then again I say I made 50m bitcoins off the SC2 launch.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
RandyFolds

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 02:03:02 AM

That is the impression I got. Guy owns like 30k of namecoins and 100 000 of Bitcoins etc. He is like ArtForz guy but more black hat type etc. Early adopter and made a fortune. Now he can afford to kill any chain he pleases etc.

like artforz? I thought he was artforz...
bulanula

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 02:04:54 AM

like artforz? I thought he was artforz...

Maybe he is. We can never be sure.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: