Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:07:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 102 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed 5-Chip USB, Blade & Black Miner Support/Tuning  (Read 308624 times)
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 01:14:35 AM

Sorry can cgminer control more than 10 gridseed? Whenever I add an 11th, it does show up in cgminer with hash rate but never accepts anything?

GSD 10 is the one. I added them one by one with cgminer running

Here's the command line options to run cgminer:

--scrypt --gridseed-options=baud=115200,freq=850,chips=5,modules=1,usefifo=0 --hotplug=1

change --hotplug to 5

Yup, tried that. Narrowed the issue to one of the 11 units. Tried cpuminer as well as bfgminer aswell. They can detect and start hashing but this particular gridseed never gets any accepted shares. I'm thinking its a DOA. Since its now isolated, I'm going to try to see if its possible to flash its bios or play with clock freq

Unlike the others, only a green
light is blinking...

Thanks!
Please do keep us all posted on your progress.
Sounds important enough for others to know what can or can't be done with DOA's.
Wolfey2014

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
miner765

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:26:46 AM

Had the same thing, I thought its DOA. Play with power, if it's not hashing - it doesn't receive power from PSU. Unplug-plug, try to re-wire it to PSU. Helped me.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 01:31:07 AM

Not really sure what I am doing wrong with CPU miner I am getting no accepted shares. Stratum is detecting new blocks. It does say it was unable to open the comport "GetLastError=2".   The miner is on com4 and that is what I have the bat set to.  Same issues with CG miner. Think maybe I have the drive installed incorrectly, any insight?

Depending upon which Window's operating system you're miner is on, try restarting the comm port that your miner is on. Start/Computer/properties/Device Manager/Ports (Com & LPT)/'your comm port driver'/disable/enable..<same as unplugging and re-plugging the USB port/cable manually.
Then try it again.

No change?
Go back to comm port properties/Port Settings/Advanced/ Receive Buffer 8 - Transmit Buffer 14.
'OK' out of there, then restart that port again so the new changes surely take effect. I am not sure if the settings will adjust and reset while live or not, but I doubt it.

These settings helped my miners to stop crapping out often like, every 20 mins' to a few hours.
Now they only randomly to mass crap out after more than 24 hours! Woo Frikkin Hoo! Yes, it's a good gain but I still have to re-pain!-in!-the!-ass!-start them often! I want there to be no need for me to intervene!
These are machines. They can be programmed to do what they are told. That's all they do anyway!

They also handled no shares being submitted 'yay' . Lots of yay's 99.95949993233% of the time at 850 clock. Seems to still be the optimum clock speed in spite of over-clockers efforts, up till now. Oh well!

Okay....
Try mining again. Happy hashing! Grin

Worth a try!         As usual, try diss stuff at your own risk Wink
Gewed luck!
Lemme know.
Wolfey2014

miner765

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:17:54 AM

Has anybody tried desoldering the fan in PSU? I think it's useless if PSU is drawing for scrypt only mode (70-100W out of 330).
XScrypt

Activity: 62

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:18:04 AM

Some further interesting observations.

Originally I was running the modified cgminer on my big beasty Windows machine for the unmodified gridseed. This seemed to work fine, and setting the clock to 850 resulted in low to no hardware errors. Setting the clock to 900 ended up usually on par with 850 after HW errors and such.

I've now been running it on linux on an old netbook I had lying around. Strangely enough, the gridseed seems to be doing better on linux. I have the clock set to 900 and it has been rock solid. At 950 it still generates too many HW errors to be useful in my opinion. The pool also verifies the better performance.

Has anyone else noticed this with their gridseeds/miner combos?

LTC- LKdDXfJbCqMHpqTZwhaMKRE51eA7PPsCYy
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 02:19:39 AM

Originally I was running the modified cgminer on my big beasty Windows machine for the unmodified gridseed. This seemed to work fine, and setting the clock to 850 resulted in low to no hardware errors. Setting the clock to 900 ended up usually on par with 850 after HW errors and such.

I've now been running it on linux on an old netbook I had lying around. Strangely enough, the gridseed seems to be doing better on linux. I have the clock set to 900 and it has been rock solid. At 950 it still generates too many HW errors to be useful in my opinion. The pool also verifies the better performance.

So, don't keep us in suspense - what hashrate is the pool reporting?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
miner765

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:28:04 AM

I just took apart the regular gridseed PSU. You can take a fan off really easy, it's a 2-pin connector. So did anybody try to keep it working without the fan? It has a really annoying sound.
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 02:40:12 AM

You cannot use a freq of 1000 with cgminer currently! If you do you will see exactly what you explained...no submitted shares at the pool. Max is 950.

Be happy that you are getting more than the officially stated 300 Kh/s! Who promised you 400?

Not that I don't believe you:

It's just that

http://puu.sh/7CaqB.png

I doubt you.

I didn't read the rest so whoever was asking PM me.

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 02:44:20 AM

Has anybody tried desoldering the fan in PSU? I think it's useless if PSU is drawing for scrypt only mode (70-100W out of 330).

Yes.
De-soldered all of my miner's fan connections. Best way to do it. No half ass....

Several others on here have also done it.

Piece of pie!

Wolfey2014

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 02:49:37 AM

You cannot use a freq of 1000 with cgminer currently! If you do you will see exactly what you explained...no submitted shares at the pool. Max is 950.

Be happy that you are getting more than the officially stated 300 Kh/s! Who promised you 400?

Not that I don't believe you:

<snip>

Not fair. You're using the voltage mod. Damn you guys and your soldering irons.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 02:58:38 AM

I just took apart the regular gridseed PSU. You can take a fan off really easy, it's a 2-pin connector. So did anybody try to keep it working without the fan? It has a really annoying sound.

I would assume that as long as you never run SHA or put too may loads (pods) on it. running with no fan will be okay. Do not let it get HOT. It should only ever run warm to the touch. Again, never hot!
Otherwise, put a quieter fan in it and let it eat!

Wolfey2014

flounderella

Activity: 350

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:00:28 AM

Try changing the USB cable and/or position on the hub. Plus wiggle a bit with the powercable Wink

Hehe, tried a few usb cables. They all work with other gridseeds. Also tried other power cables which work elsewhere, so that doesn't seem to be it. Also tried switching places on the hub to direction connection to pc. I'll check if SHA mode works
miner765

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:01:32 AM

I would assume that as long as you never run SHA or put too may loads (pods) on it. running with no fan will be okay. Do not let it get HOT. It should only ever run warm to the touch. Again, never hot!

Wolfey2014

Yep, that is exactly what I will do. Ordering a few of more quiet fans and will stick them in there.
flounderella

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:02:27 AM

Wolfey2014

Yeah I only have ten of these at this stage and if I get another 10-20, may even need to get a noise canceling head phone :p
So looking into using 1 fan for two gridseeds, at least cut the noise in half
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 03:08:23 AM

Wolfey2014

Yeah I only have ten of these at this stage and if I get another 10-20, may even need to get a noise canceling head phone :p

I don't why you'd annoy yourself further with useless fans on Scrypt mining pods...
I have 6 running with no fans 24/7. Only get warm to the touch which is perfectly normal.
Maybe even better per what a few on here claim "my miners are hashing a bit faster since"
God speed!
Wolfey2014

flounderella

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:10:37 AM

Had the same thing, I thought its DOA. Play with power, if it's not hashing - it doesn't receive power from PSU. Unplug-plug, try to re-wire it to PSU. Helped me.

Going to try moving it around on other psu connectors as well as a 12v5a adapter.. will also try on linux/mac (was previously on windows). Otherwise this seems to be a good candidate to try the voltage mod Wink
flounderella

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:11:43 AM

Wolfey2014

I don't why you'd annoy yourself further with useless fans on Scrypt mining pods...
I have 6 running with no fans 24/7. Only get warm to the touch which is perfectly normal.
Maybe even better per what a few on here claim "my miners are hashing a bit faster since"
God speed!
Wolfey2014

Yeah, the noise is definitely defeaning, so I'm reaching your position very soon :p
flounderella

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:15:35 AM

Sorry can cgminer control more than 10 gridseed? Whenever I add an 11th, it does show up in cgminer with hash rate but never accepts anything?

GSD 10 is the one. I added them one by one with cgminer running

Here's the command line options to run cgminer:

--scrypt --gridseed-options=baud=115200,freq=850,chips=5,modules=1,usefifo=0 --hotplug=1

change --hotplug to 5

Yup, tried that. Narrowed the issue to one of the 11 units. Tried cpuminer as well as bfgminer aswell. They can detect and start hashing but this particular gridseed never gets any accepted shares. I'm thinking its a DOA. Since its now isolated, I'm going to try to see if its possible to flash its bios or play with clock freq

Unlike the others, only a green light is blinking...

Yes, was going to suggest you run it on it's own to isolate which one it is. Let us know if you get it to work! I also had one like you that would not get any accepted shares on scrypt. SHA worked though. Tried everything I could from different mining software to different hosts/controllers and freq's. Tried running it on its own for well over 12 hours but it would never get any accepted shares....and of course the pools wont show it since it is essentially not doing any work.

Yep that sounds exactly like what I have here. Will keep you posted if I figure out something.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 03:35:13 AM

HASHRA TO THE RESCUE!
I have been authorized by HASHRA to announce....

New firmware for our controllers.
Could these be the ultimate cure for our hash configuration woes?
No more pissin around with tweak this, config that, change this, debug that....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ladies and Gentlemen! I present 'our saviors'!
Get your FREE firmware upgrades here! http://hashra.com/support/

A little background via direct quote:

"Our firmware "HASHRA CONTROLA" can be found here… hashra.com/support.

It is based on CGMiner and we have also made all the source code public on our GitHub page, please feel free to spread the word about it.

We were really aiming to create something that was stable, not just blast a whole load of hashing power if it keeps restarting etc.

We are happy with what we have so far though it is still in continuous development.
We plan to use this as the basis for our future products coming up and is designed for the Raspberry Pi.

At present you can use it to mine SHA or SCRYPT though we are still working on the dual aspect… it is proving tricky but we are getting close to having it now stable… to get it you will just need to hit update firmware and it will update straight away.

Using our firmware we recommend core speed at 850… should sit at just over 3.6MH for 10 units with no issues."

Let me/us all know how it works out. I don't own a controller yet but,,,soon!
I want to let all the bugs get worked out, then decide on which is the least hackable, least attackable and most stable controller out there.

Peace on Earth folks!
Wolfey2014

XScrypt

Activity: 62

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:31:42 AM

So, don't keep us in suspense - what hashrate is the pool reporting?

Didn't think there would be any suspense. At 900 I'm seeing about 380K. The pool fluctuates but the average appears to be right around 380K. It's been running for several hours now at 900, no HW errors, one rejected share.

Unmodified gridseed. Modified cgminer for gridseed from github. Standard options. Running on an eeePC 1000AH with Linux Mint 13.2.

LTC- LKdDXfJbCqMHpqTZwhaMKRE51eA7PPsCYy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 102 »
  Print  

Jump to: