Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 12:38:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FOR SALE - D750 750W Server PSU Breakout Boards  (Read 47357 times)
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 10:18:11 PM

Well everyone has their own standard for "freaking LOUD". I agree that, at full fan speed - heck even at half speed - they're pretty annoying. But the fans don't need to be up that fast to keep the supplies cool outside of a highly-restrictive-server installation. Mine are running at probably less than quarter speed, about a tenth of the full-speed noise, at 85-90% load for months with no problem. I know some people are touchy about being able to hear fans but honestly I don't care much. I am less annoyed by three of those server supplies with properly adjusted fans than a high-strung GPU fan though, if that helps. I have some running GPUs, and the GPU fans are definitely louder.

And actually, the most annoying server fan I've run into so far was on the DPS-800. I had one running two S1 for a couple weeks to see how it behaved, and those fans are internally thermostat controlled so there's no manual adjustments. Asking 800W from it really pushed the fan up into "Holy crap that's irritating" territory, far past the volume level of a manually adjusted and comfortable-steady-state-cooling 750W Dell.

If I had a dB meter I could give you comparisons, because it's pretty clear my fan noise tolerance is atypically high. I know a guy that can only sleep with earplugs, with less fan noise going on.The last time fans kept me up it was actually the lack of fan noise - a PSU died and my equipment turned off, which the sudden silence woke me up before the fans had even finished spinning down.

If you have an android or iphone there are actually a few decent sound meter apps

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 10:20:10 PM

Sorry, my phone is just a phone.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
demonmaestro

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:32:31 PM

They don't break...

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:46:29 PM

Nokia's phone business just got finished selling to Microsoft. They'll start breaking any day now.

I got enough spare parts for my Sony Z310a flip-phone to stay in cellular for probably another five years before giving up and building my own phone. I assume in 5 years touchscreen bricks will be the only option left.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
cevad

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:56:18 AM

Received by Kit today - after myself starting to get impatient with the post here lol (my fault for living on the wrong side of Australia).

Didn't come with any documentation, has anyone got the pdf for v0.5 revision board?

Thanks.
bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 06:35:35 PM

So I bought one, and they're great.  My question is, can I put two antminer S1's at stock clock on one power supply?  The S1 claims to pull 360 watts, so with two I'm pulling 720, which is pretty close to the stated 750W.  Is there an inordinate amount of risk in pushing the 750W power supply to that level?
bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 06:43:49 PM

So I bought one, and they're great.  My question is, can I put two antminer S1's at stock clock on one power supply?  The S1 claims to pull 360 watts, so with two I'm pulling 720, which is pretty close to the stated 750W.  Is there an inordinate amount of risk in pushing the 750W power supply to that level?

We have had no problems running 2 per PSU times several hundred ants. Works very very well for the cost.
wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 11:55:28 PM

Im running 2 ants per psu as well with no problems so far. Bob, do you adjust the fan speed or leave it at its slowest setting?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 04:33:31 AM

V0.5 board documentation: http://www.gekkoscience.com/misc/V0.5_Board_Doc.pdf

There's also a link on the product page describing how to load-balance multiple supplies.

Officially, we don't support running two overclocked S1 units off a single supply. Unofficially, people have gotten 800W sustained out of these supplies without any problems.

We're working on the next board revision, which shouldn't change any operating points so all specs for the V0.5 boards will still hold. All the changes are for increased ease of manufacture.
Additionally, the first DPS-2000BB boards will ship to us on Friday so middle of next week we'll start assembling and get ready for load-testing. They should be pretty overbuilt, I'm not anticipating any issues with power handling and all the electronics (fan control and whatnot) was triple-verified with schematics of prototyped circuits so hopefully we'll be able to go straight into production on those.

bigbeninlondon

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 11:13:21 AM

I don't really see the benefit of overclocking.  I saw that it takes over 100 watts of extra power and only provides 20-25 GH/s.  Seems like a bad deal to me.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 03:23:48 AM

Depends what you pay in power. If the extra 100W worth of energy use costs less than the yield of 25GH it's still an okay thing. About half of mine are overclocked, mostly because I just didn't crank up the other half. Last I checked, it was still economically favorable for me to run them on higher speeds. Not everyone can say that though.

bigbeninlondon

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:20:13 AM

Agreed; some people don't pay anything for electricity.  Lower electricity rates would change this, especially at scale.  I just wonder the trade-off in additional cooling and shorter lifespan.  For me at .11/kWh, with only a few S1's, it really doesn't make sense.
cryptomole

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:32:41 AM

I'm in the UK - need some breakout boards pretty quick as have asics delivered soon.
I read in that pjcltd was dealing with EU sales - is this still the deal? Otherwise can you ship to UK?
Thanks
CM
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:07:59 PM

I believe he's been out of stock for a while, and hasn't gotten ahold of me to get more. We can ship to UK and have stock on hand. Email sales@gekkoscience and we'll get you taken care of.

chadwickx16

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:10:20 PM

Sidehack,

What the word with the DPS-2000BB?? I'm trying to consolidate my inefficient PSU's into one of those. 

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████████████
░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████████████
░░████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░▀███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████████████████
░░░░░▄▄██████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌
▐█████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
▐██████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
░███████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░▐████████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░▐███████████████▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄████████████████
░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:30:40 PM

Load-testing was delayed, but we're actually doing that right now on the prototype (and it looks good). If everything works as well as we think it will, I'll be posting tonight or tomorrow about options for prices and preorders. I don't like offering preorders but we'll probably have some big customers on this and it might be the best way for folks to ensure they get their boards quicker, as well as helping get money to actually buy parts in bulk enough for economical pricing.

chadwickx16

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:37:54 PM

Load-testing was delayed, but we're actually doing that right now on the prototype (and it looks good). If everything works as well as we think it will, I'll be posting tonight or tomorrow about options for prices and preorders. I don't like offering preorders but we'll probably have some big customers on this and it might be the best way for folks to ensure they get their boards quicker, as well as helping get money to actually buy parts in bulk enough for economical pricing.

Sounds good! I'll be awaiting the good news!  Smiley

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:26:14 PM

We've got one running right now outputting 195A (note that's 30A or 18% above PSU rating), according to the board's current measurement. The power traces on the 12V side are getting warm, mostly from sinking heat from the current sense resistors. The power traces on the ground side are maybe 10C above ambient, maybe. At 195A, that's pretty darn good. We'll assemble a prototype board with no current sense and rerun the test to check the 12V side's internal heating. If after many hours of burn-in everything still looks as good as it does right now, we'll be in business.

chadwickx16

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:33:16 PM

We've got one running right now outputting 195A (note that's 30A or 18% above PSU rating), according to the board's current measurement. The power traces on the 12V side are getting warm, mostly from sinking heat from the current sense resistors. The power traces on the ground side are maybe 10C above ambient, maybe. At 195A, that's pretty darn good. We'll assemble a prototype board with no current sense and rerun the test to check the 12V side's internal heating. If after many hours of burn-in everything still looks as good as it does right now, we'll be in business.

Sounds great, I would love to consolidate my 5 PSU's powering my 8 Ants right now.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:48:16 AM

Bump for a big price drop on boards and kits, effective until Friday afternoon. We're overstock and need to clear some shopspace. Get 'em while we got 'em.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: