Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:25:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency  (Read 45014 times)
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1556

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2019, 07:58:03 PM

I have 100+ S9 miners from different batches starting from 2016 and ending with 2019 s9j/s9k models.  So i can compare them. by the way, BOS still not showing chip temp on some S9 models from 2016/2017 batches.

Bitmain FW has temp cut value close to 110C, why BOS set 95C is not clear for me, my miners work for years in summer over 100C without issues.

At the end, bitmain fw stops mining process when you hit 110C, but BOS just restarts miner when you are close to 95C = which leads to infinite miner restarts - which kills hashboards also. So this is real problem which should be addressed.

Did you not notice that there are two groups of sensors, and the older Bitmain firmware only used one of them? (the ones that show the higher temps). One comes from sensor on board, the other from sensor on chip.

Something they send to their driver probably manages to stop the hashing. This is worth reverse engineering, since the units can't truly be turned off (and people frequently request this). bOS just resets cgminer, but maybe it could also be made to reset frequencies (or lower them to 200mhz or such). This is also an interesting proposal to make, it would be a mitigation for when bad things ™ happen as they probably lack knowing what it is Bitmain does to stop hashing on boards (some sort of halt command that requires a hard reset).

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JaDaveIII

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2019, 02:14:47 AM

I had thought that I read somewhere that BOS could adjust the frequency on every chip. Unfortunately, after reading all 32 (?) pages here and searching, I cannot find that again. Can someone enlighten me on where this is in the web interface. I've installed it, can only find where I can set just the voltage / frequency per board.

And (this may sound snooty - but it's not meant to be) any other actual documentation for the using (not installing) of BOS? Especially from a not-so-much-unix persons view for parameter files and command line directives.
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2019, 05:22:54 AM

I had thought that I read somewhere that BOS could adjust the frequency on every chip. Unfortunately, after reading all 32 (?) pages here and searching, I cannot find that again. Can someone enlighten me on where this is in the web interface. I've installed it, can only find where I can set just the voltage / frequency per board.

And (this may sound snooty - but it's not meant to be) any other actual documentation for the using (not installing) of BOS? Especially from a not-so-much-unix persons view for parameter files and command line directives.

No it doesn't. You can manually set the frequencies and voltages per hash board, and that's it. The usage is similar to the factory firmware, you just set the pool you want it to mine to, and that's it. You cannot get any simpler than that.

Ideally you should lower the voltages to find the optimum efficiency, this take many tries until you find the lowest setting the hashboard still works without deviating too much from its intended hashrate.

The official documentation is here: https://docs.braiins-os.org/

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
karayaman

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2019, 06:41:10 PM

How can i upgrade with sd card. I was try 5 time and i cant upgrade braiins os. Give me sd card download link.
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2019, 01:44:01 AM

How can i upgrade with sd card. I was try 5 time and i cant upgrade braiins os. Give me sd card download link.

I don't know what are you trying to do. If its installed into NAND, you can simply upgrade by refreshing packages and installing firmware.

I haven't tried, but if you are running from SD, the same thing could work, not sure if there is enough space. Else simply download the newer image and reflash the sd card.

As shown in the official documentation page, images are always at https://feeds.braiins-os.org/

Latest S9 image is still from June: https://feeds.braiins-os.org/braiins-os_am1-s9_sd_2019-06-05-0-0de55997.img

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Freemine-001010

Activity: 141
Merit: 46

View Profile
November 17, 2019, 02:54:01 AM
Merited by frodocooper (2)

i think he might be looking for the install to nand option once booted from sd card  , 

change jumper 4 (closest to the edge of the board) that will make it boot from sd,

once booted , run an ip scanner , advanced ip scanner is free ,

find ip , use root as user and root as password , once in brains one of the

drop down menus will have install to nand option click that ,

once installed , change jumper back and take sd card out ,

then power cycle
Blue65

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 23, 2019, 07:58:06 AM

Hello.I have big broblem with no sensors found on BrainOs on my s9 miners.Is no sensors found  bug from BrainOs or sensors are really faulty?And if it is a bug does anyone has info will BrainOs fix it?
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2019, 10:47:50 PM

Hello.I have big broblem with no sensors found on BrainOs on my s9 miners.Is no sensors found  bug from BrainOs or sensors are really faulty?And if it is a bug does anyone has info will BrainOs fix it?

The only way you can tell is to use factory firmware again (Ie. from 2018). If the sensors are really bad, you won't be able to hash using Bitmain's and it should show in the logs. It is possible with BraiinsOS without sensors if you use the corresponding option in cgminer.conf but you risk a failing fan may burn your unit.

In the rare case where sensors truly work but are not correctly recognized, maybe after bosminer is finished you may have a chance to work with the bOS people to find a solution.

As with anything regarding improved hardware support, it will come only after bosminer is finished and released officially.

(bosminer will replace cgminer in future BraiinsOS releases).

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
an7h

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 25, 2019, 08:41:32 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2019, 10:21:30 PM by an7h

What kind of hashrates are possible with this firmware?
Also should I update to the latest dev release or stick to latest stable (?) build?
Freemine-001010

View Profile
November 26, 2019, 03:18:55 AM
Merited by frodocooper (2)

What kind of hashrates are possible with this firmware?
Also should I update to the latest dev release or stick to latest stable (?) build?

you can crank the freq and power up , stick with stable release

just boot it, flash nand option , reboot and edit services > cgminer = add pools and there you can adjust volts and freq, or use scale option and start at like 1.10  and go to 1.15 and 1.20 and so on

and set the desired c temp , its the best firmware as it loads faster and gives real time gui so you can see if the hw errors start stacking up then adjust cgminer settings

NOTE : if you have freq and power settings and then change the scaling option the scale will apply to the chain settings
an7h

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 26, 2019, 11:18:51 AM

Well, I tried it, and unfortunately I can't say that it was good for overclocking (at least for my hardware). I decided to switch to my previous one until next release of BOS.
Freemine-001010

View Profile
November 26, 2019, 06:02:16 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2019, 02:50:48 AM by frodocooper

you should try doing the freq at 731  and the volts at 9

i over clock my s9i's  and get 15.5-16.2 avg th

and last night i set them to 65% freq scale and the fans stay within 10-20% speed and 11th
so they are not really noisy, and my garage is kinda warm in the morning

i have a little issue i cant figure out,

have 4 s9i miners , booted using sd card, clicked install nand option ,

reset jumper and re-boot and from there i cant get back into them ,
not sure if its not booting from nand or somthing , but when i put the
sd card back in and boot with jumper in sd card boot posision they
work just fine  , what could be causing this  ?

Thanks
FM
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2019, 12:35:25 AM
Last edit: November 27, 2019, 02:51:32 AM by frodocooper

Well, I tried it, and unfortunately I can't say that it was good for overclocking (at least for my hardware). I decided to switch to my previous one until next release of BOS.

You were mislead. The point of bOS is NOT overclocking, but actually UNDERclocking.

It is about achieving the best efficiency ratio, the maximum hash per watt you can achieve. Overclocking actually does the opposite (unless your electricity is free and unlimited), which in the end means you earn less money.

Worry about lowering those voltages and speeds, and keep the hash going. There is no automation, every single hashboard needs to be carefully tested and measured to find out where its best efficiency lies. Again the lowest watt per hash you can manage is different per BOARD.

And because there are no "automated safety features", you are better of NOT doing overclocking, anyway. You can easily burn your miners using wrong configuration settings. Do not follow those that tell you overclock is good, it isn't. Best efficiency always wins, and with S9s, that is almost always by underclocking.

You need to measure power consumption and test speeds/voltages by yourself, PER board. No hand holding, if you want to make proper use of bOS. It is not "install and forget" firmware, you have to earn your efficiency which in the end will make your miners more profitable and longer lasting.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Freemine-001010

View Profile
November 27, 2019, 12:39:10 AM

with free kwh i usually run them @ 700 mhz   factory settings are usually in the 630's to 650's ,

but same with the bitmain fw and the 2+ th settings
taserz

Activity: 799
Merit: 293

Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA

View Profile
November 27, 2019, 07:06:12 AM
Last edit: November 28, 2019, 10:48:06 AM by frodocooper

i have a little issue i cant figure out,

have 4 s9i miners , booted using sd card, clicked install nand option ,

reset jumper and re-boot and from there i cant get back into them ,
not sure if its not booting from nand or somthing , but when i put the
sd card back in and boot with jumper in sd card boot posision they
work just fine  , what could be causing this  ?

Thanks
FM

Sounds like you're not moving the jumper back. If moving jumper back it will boot from the control board. Make sure you gave it enough time to install on board too.

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
Freemine-001010

View Profile
November 27, 2019, 08:05:37 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2019, 02:55:07 AM by frodocooper

i moved the jumper , as for a test i did the bitmain firmware re-install via the T9+ install then update to s9x verson of firmware ,

did just fine ,and ive flashed 12 other units but they were all regular s9 13.5    ,   this seems to be just the s9i miners i just bought from ebay

OK so when is the s17 going to be supported  Grin Grin
taserz

View Profile
November 29, 2019, 11:19:45 AM

OK so when is the s17 going to be supported  Grin Grin

They have to program the driver from scratch which would take some time. But I am sure it is very similar to the S9 and other drivers for other chips. No need to reinvent the wheel everytime.

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
teslaman

Activity: 65
Merit: 15

View Profile
December 03, 2019, 11:56:33 PM

You were mislead. The point of bOS is NOT overclocking, but actually UNDERclocking.

It is about achieving the best efficiency ratio, the maximum hash per watt you can achieve. Overclocking actually does the opposite (unless your electricity is free and unlimited), which in the end means you earn less money.

That's great and all, but some of us like using them to heat the house in the winter, so maximum TH and heat is the goal. Smiley The gas furnace here hasn't been used in about 3 years now, lol. Tongue I did notice that bOS recommends lower voltage with higher frequency, but that's backwards. So far, I run them around 700-725MHz @ 8.8-8.9V when it's the coldest, without a noticeable increase in HW errors. If I put it at the recommended "8.70V (for 700.0 MHz)", then I do get a lot more HW errors.

KnCMiner Firmware - Mercury/Saturn/Jupiter/Neptune/Titan
taserz

View Profile
December 04, 2019, 06:51:24 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2019, 09:51:40 AM by frodocooper

You can use the firmware that I provide and remove 1 fan. The chips will stay hotter and then the outlet fan will still carry the heat fairly well. If you increase voltage temps will increase as long as freq is high enough. I recommend 8.9.

Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2019, 03:38:22 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2019, 10:08:56 AM by frodocooper
Merited by Philopolymath (2)

That's great and all, but some of us like using them to heat the house in the winter, so maximum TH and heat is the goal. Smiley The gas furnace here hasn't been used in about 3 years now, lol. Tongue I did notice that bOS recommends lower voltage with higher frequency, but that's backwards. So far, I run them around 700-725MHz @ 8.8-8.9V when it's the coldest, without a noticeable increase in HW errors. If I put it at the recommended "8.70V (for 700.0 MHz)", then I do get a lot more HW errors.

Overclocking has nothing to do with that. If you want more "heating", simply add more miners. By overclocking, you are simply over-stressing the units, basically burning them out, so don't be surprised if they fail in the middle of winter...

The rule for the voltages applies identically no matter the speed you are setting. ALWAYS find the lowest voltage where the hashboard is still hashing. Each hashboard is different. Normally the voltages required for overclocking are higher than normal or underclocking, but that doesn't necessarily mean above "factory" settings. Again every hashboard is different, and a more efficient hashboard can usually take more of a beating as well.

There is no single universal setting, beyond starting points. You have to always find out the correct setting for each board; yes, manually. It is my opinion than anything beyond 9v is not good, and that prompts for lowering the speed. But its your gear, you are the one burning it...

Also if the input air is too cold while the inside is too hot, you are going to get a thermal shock. Worse, condensation and 100c means vapor, by overclocking you are getting into that dangerous zone (water + electronics = short), that is probably the very reason they won't be changing the 95°C thing.

Rule of thumb is simple: Overclock = premature death; Underclock = prolonged life; both vs "normal" settings.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »
  Print  

Jump to: