Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:52:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Your HODL motivation  (Read 776 times)
HODL2090 (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 29

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 08:12:59 AM

In a few months, it would be ten years since the first transaction was made on the bitcoin blockchain by Satoshi Nakamoto (whoever he, she or they are). A decade down the road, bitcoin has grown in many aspects, adoption, value, circulation. And with just a couple of bitcoin yet to be mined, we are entering a new phase. And we might only have a few of the early adopters left in the bitcoin space, some bought a couple of pizzas and some cashed out during the series of pumps we have had over the years, some also panic sold during dumps.

What motivates you to Hodl?

Hodling or more conventionally put, long-term investment has always been a part of financial and commercial investments. And people were quick to identify the potential of profits in cryptocurrency due to the high volatility. And it was accepted it as a digital asset.

Hodling in such a space which is prone to wide sudden fluctuations is easier said than done. The emotional strain. One of my biggest motivation to Hodl is recognizing that bitcoin is not a pump and dump scheme, this for me is the most important motivation to hold. And you would be less bothered by intermittent value drops and rises.

If you are into bitcoin for the product and not profit, then you would be less interested in the profits and more interested in its increased adoption and application. Then you can view it as national currencies, which have value based on what it can purchase, but bitcoin has more applications as it is built on the blockchain technology.

Some can stay away from active participation, and it is possible to combine trading and hodling.

- A trader can also be a hodler. You have to set out your priorities and set aside a portion of your capital. If you're trading the same currency, (eg bitcoin), it would help to have a seperate wallet where you store you frozen assets and those available for trade.

Of course you should have disciplined yourself and learnt how to control your emotions and whims, otherwise you can't Hodl successfully.

What do you hope for the future?

This currency still has a long way to go, and of course we all look forward to a day where bitcoin would be an accepted global currency, that can be used to make purchases both online and offline. I lean more to online, as the world is going digital.

Increased adoption would also be helpful to governments and the citizenry, especially in developing countries, like Nigeria. And we are sure to discover other applications of the blockchain technology, as the qualities of transparency and decentralizatiom would be invaluable in those states.

What's your biggest fear?

Centralization. Bitcoin was created to be an alternative to the conventional banking sector. And to give it's users freedom and control, complete control. I fear a day where we would Los that control to governments and banks.
And I don't think global regulation is imperative for mass adoption.
The system was well designed to function without any control or supervision. And it's users need not to trust any human factor but the technology, the bitcoin technology.
Renal

Activity: 434
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 02:19:13 PM

the first reason I save bitcoin is a market situation that to this day is still not so stable, so it's better to keep bitcoin that we have waiting for bitcoin to go up because we can get a profit from selling quickly but the loss can be .
arifin eky

Activity: 100
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 02:28:34 PM

indeed there are so many who hold the coin
  at this time including me personally, because in addition to being a savings in the future, prices are also still not rising as of the end of yesterday.

so it would be nice if the price of two times the price we can now sell.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1353

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 02:48:04 PM

In a few months, it would be ten years since the first transaction was made on the bitcoin blockchain by Satoshi Nakamoto (whoever he, she or they are). A decade down the road, bitcoin has grown in many aspects, adoption, value, circulation. And with just a couple of bitcoin yet to be mined, we are entering a new phase. And we might only have a few of the early adopters left in the bitcoin space, some bought a couple of pizzas and some cashed out during the series of pumps we have had over the years, some also panic sold during dumps.

And it's really amazing how far we've come with bitcoin, though some of us expected more in a decade of its existence, for me I'd say I'm pretty impressed coming from a relatively unknown project that only existed in geeky forums for over a year before circulating towards many different channels. The rest is history from there.

I'd be lying if I say I am doing it all for the tech. Of course, holding my coins somewhat gives me profit over time and that's what I do most of the time to make sure that I'm financially secured when the time comes. This is not the only investment that I have and I do have stocks built up, so money is the main motivation why I hold.

More places to spend my coins most likely, knowing that some countries are already trying to shift over to cryptocurrencies, why not make it so that even small merchants are accepting it? In the short-term future, this is not possible considering the high volatility of bitcoin's "price" to fiat. Though I believe that once we shifted to cryptocurrencies, merchants would also follow suit knowing that the payment they are accepting is legal and accepted even by the governments.

What's your biggest fear

Same as yours, centralization. Knowing how easy and reliable it is to store data on the blockchain, it's no surprise that the governments and some private institutions would like to use it for the said purpose of pooling data and using it for whatever reason they might have.
celot

Activity: 1492
Merit: 269

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 02:50:07 PM

I am still hold some altcoin because I can trust how the power of holding some altcoin, I know many profit taken by hold some altcoin with long term. l faced with some coin could reached more than 200% profit after holding about one years.

1xBit.com TICKET RUSH
                                       ▄██▄▄
    ▄▄▄▀▀█████▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄    ▄███████▄
  ▄▀      ▀█▀      ▀▄        ▄█████████████████▄
 ██▌       █       ▐██      ▄████████████████▀▀██
████▄▄   ▄▄█▄▄   ▄▄████   ▄████████████████▀████
██▀   ▀▀███████▀▀   ▀██▄▄██████████████▀▀███▄▄██
█        █████        ██████████████▀██████▀▀ ▄▀
█       █     █       ███████████▀▀███▀▀▀▀▄▀▀
 █▄▄▄▄▄▀       ▀▄▄▄▄█████████████▀▀
  ▀████▄       ▄███████████████▀▀
    ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄███████████████
               ████████▀▀
               ▀█▄▄▀ ▀
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
BET ON
WORLD CUP &
COLLECT TICKETS!
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
TAKE PART
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
fuer44

Activity: 1638
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2018, 02:54:34 PM

I like to hold it in the long run and finally the price actually rises. I used to regret that I always sold too fast, and I think it's time for me to start a long-term hold. after all, the market is currently down too, and the best step is to hold.
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 03:00:39 PM

I really think there is no need for a motivation in hodling coins, And you have said all the things why many are really doing this, I really think that because Cryptocurrency can really lead everyone to become rich in the future I really think this is a thing for many hodlers to really hodl so much coins they can get, If there is a promising thing for them and this involves money then I think certainly many would do this, That would simply what drives them, Well I really think this includes myself as well.
Awoben

Activity: 236
Merit: 3

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 03:05:08 PM

Holding BTC it's not my thing, I prefer to hold altcoins with good potentials, but it has to be said,  bitcoin has done a good job by paving way for the acceptance and adoption of cryptocurrency. Even though most of us are in it for the profit, with time we will have a new orientation when use cases start to popping up everywhere for goods and services.
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1104

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 03:17:12 PM

I can tell you what motivates me. I once thought about pros and cons of holding and wasn't sure if it's the right choice so I took the 50/50 stance. Half of what I earned was being turned to fiat and the other half was held. Then 2017 bull market happened and I earned so much more. It was the time when I started thinking about holding more than half of my earnings because the volatility will eventually make it pay off.

Experia

Activity: 924
Merit: 265

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 03:26:02 PM

it motivates me to make more income because if we can make it today the qunatity of a coin is too much but when the time comes the market recover the value of it can double so for me there is nothing to be afraid when the market is down take this opportunity to make more coins.
tomahawk9

Activity: 2086
Merit: 994

Cats on Mars

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 03:30:50 PM

One of the main reasons most people hodl is because of profits, and i'm one of those, I mainly hodl for the prosime that I'll gain bigger profits in the future once the price finally shoots up. Though, I do like to spend some bitcoin every now and then whenever I get the chance (I also convert some into , I'm one of those who thinks we should also spend our coins if we ever have the opportunity to do so.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW
Marshall14

Activity: 112
Merit: 20

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 03:33:33 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2018, 03:46:58 PM by Marshall14

And what a long decade it has been,it really hasn't been a smooth journey all the way,as is synonymous with any good project,it has had it's fair share of criticisms and crisis,but it has pulled through all that and is making waves every single day of the week.

Hodling is one very delicate aspect of this system,as despite the fact of it being a very nice tactics to make profit it doesn't always come good,ive hodled and made profits most of the times,ive also incured losses,but generally my motivation while holding is how to make huge profits,trying to be patient and avoid panic sales,its not really easy most times

Massive adoption of the bitcoin,and unwavering popularity and usage in most countries of the world,its not going to be easy,due to the popularity of fiat currencies,but bitcoins enormous growth in just ten years goes to show that there will come a time when numerous stores start accepting cryptos and bans on cryptos are lifted,and cryptocurrency education is adopted in our schools..
 I can only see the bright side of the future for this network.

What's your biggest fear?

My biggest fear like you have rightly said is definitely centralization,though some feel it will quell the volatility of the market,but the thought of the government being in control of this system,placing stringent rules and regulations on it could be the nail in the coffin for me...The system should always remain the way it was created:DECENTRALIZED!!!

carter34

Activity: 1302
Merit: 25

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 03:57:09 PM

My major reason for holding is for increase whose expectation is to make profit. On the other side, I also fear that price don't deep so much that I lose a reasonable part of my investment.
Gamblet

Activity: 476
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 04:21:40 PM

I think that cryptocurrency is promising and interesting. I planned to hodl my tokens for a long time. I am interested in how profitable this will be and in how successful projects will be the tokens of which I hodl.
bitfocus

Activity: 532
Merit: 15

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 04:56:34 PM

Simple, I just believe in it
target
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1041

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 05:02:35 PM

I hold because I simply believe in bitcoin, in crypto and in blockchain in general. I don't just hold BTC but some altcoins I think will survive and will be useful in the future. Its the decentralization that makes me believe that finally we can have the currencies not controlled by the few. After learning I can generate more money with crypto, my dream of providing good future for my kids is almost realizing. This motivates me to hold.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
tweetbit

Activity: 560
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 05:08:46 PM

Does someone ever tell you that the secrets of the biggest gainers on hodling are trust and silence? More holders keep their investments hidden within time and shockingly worth it.

Time isn't the enemy on holding, but our patients. So take the risk of breaking some bed for longterm.

HODL
Indamuck

Activity: 1120
Merit: 554

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 05:19:12 PM

It's much more relaxing to just hold long term and to stop checking prices everyday.  Baring some type of cataclysmic event, Bitcoin will continue to rise as the block rewards are halved.

I know a lot of Bitcoiners like to check prices every five minutes. Smiley  I think long term when I invest, I'm not here to day trade or chase daily pumps.

I firmly believe in the future of bitcoin and cryptocurrency .  I have seen how ludicrous the central banking system is and how corrupt they are.  There will still be some bumps along the road (government regulation, Mt. Gox dumping more coins, FUD by mainstream media)
glowing10

Activity: 812
Merit: 142

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 05:25:27 PM

the first reason I save bitcoin is a market situation that to this day is still not so stable, so it's better to keep bitcoin that we have waiting for bitcoin to go up because we can get a profit from selling quickly but the loss can be .

Yes selling in a loss will not make any sense unless someone require money instantly then it is a different story. Else you can hold it and in longer term we know market can swing from red to green quickly and we all have seen it in the past as well.
sulendra12

Activity: 2814
Merit: 526

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
October 02, 2018, 05:28:49 PM

Most people have no motivation when hodl and stuff, ya they said they hodl it for like a year and then checking the price every single day. But in reality, they just abandon those coins until certain times and then come back again when they need it. That's what I know on what I asked to some people.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM