Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:49:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for someone to create/modify software for this forum [5500+ BTC]  (Read 165567 times)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 12:56:00 PM

What are recent news about new backend for bitcointalk.org? Is anyone doing anything? 3600 BTC seem to be enough to have it done already.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sippsnapp

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 01:54:47 PM

I havent read the whole thread but 3600btc seems nutz.

SRSLY, why not use the vbulletin board, there are many very successful forums using this software, why isnt it enough for the bitcointalk forum?

Πάντα ῥεῖ
Bitcoin + Altcoin node pool setup - pm
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 03:00:50 PM

I've just found this - http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=179
Hey, guys who placed bets for DISAGREE, how much would u pay me to NOT develop new forum software?
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 06:39:22 PM

Very funny.

vB, IPB, XenForo, they are all open source. You can't redistribute the code but you can look at it, edit it.

There is more chance of the Linux kernel being flawwed than these boards.

And btw our admin is waiting till December to release the new software so he will do LOADS of money betting on that website. And no one will pay you anything because you are not developing anything, Come From Beyond (what a nickname!).

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
hottweelz

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 02:07:26 AM

You guys can do all the magic you want with this "Forum software"

But whoever @ Softlayer is maintaining the server that Bitcointalk.org runs on.... needs to be dragged outside and shot.

Why not invest in some real hardware, you're in the right DC at least.

Its all a moot point with the software, you guys hang like 5 times a day with what.... 500-1000 users at any given time...

3600 BTC?  Jesus, for 36BTC I'll blow your mind with performance.

What the hell is happening around here anyway?
live627

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:04:40 AM

The downtime lately is not normal... just wait a week or two and thins''ll improve.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 07:02:37 AM

I agree with the one that suggest to buy your own hardware and to colocate.
Than put a webcam in the top of rack front/back and check for whoever opens your rack - I remember someone to have already done this, but only once that the FBI got their server, and they recorded via that webcam the FBI trying to reinstall the server on the same rack supposing that nothing happend... LOL!

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
hottweelz

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:35:26 AM

I agree with the one that suggest to buy your own hardware and to colocate.
Than put a webcam in the top of rack front/back and check for whoever opens your rack - I remember someone to have already done this, but only once that the FBI got their server, and they recorded via that webcam the FBI trying to reinstall the server on the same rack supposing that nothing happend... LOL!

Thats awesome
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:44:39 PM

http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/11/11647813-the-fbi-took-and-mysteriously-returned-their-server-heres-their-story

Anyway @admin, can we have any serious answer?
Have you strongly invested in this - http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=179 and thus you are gonna tell us to go on only after december?

hottweelz

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 03:42:23 AM

So is this thread dead?

I read over the requirements on the first post from the admin...

Creating Forum Software will be a big mistake. And do NOT leave MySQL.  There's a reason why its the MOST SECURE DB in the *Nix world.

Install and Pay for VBulletin 4.  Its BULLETPROOF.  Get a bunch of us together for SEO and attractiveness.

The ONLY vulnerabilities you will have is on the Nix side. 

And assuming this is at LEAST a VPS over at Softlayer, we can tighten it more than a Southern Baptist Raised Teenager on her Prom night.

You will regret hand writing a forum when a proven one exists for years. 
I did it once, than the particular programmer who did it, got very upset with me.

I was expected to spend SEVEN FIGURES (and I was preparing to) on obtaining my source code after a disupute.  Its not worth it.
You will not come close to the security and professionalism of VBulletin.

You have my word.

live627

Activity: 574

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 04:17:14 AM

Time to play!

Creating Forum Software will be a big mistake
Yes, but is it such a mistake to build on top of an existing one? No...

VBulletin 4.  Its BULLETPROOF
Need proof else GTFO. I hate this attitude with a passion. It sounds stupid. Why do you think lots of vB users jumped ship after Internet Brands ttook the software over from Jelsoft? Just because a software costs a pretty penny does not mean it is better. I've already lost count of the numerous times me and my online buddies tell people this.

If paid software is "perfect", why do free alternatives even exist?

I did it once, than the particular programmer who did it, got very upset with me.
Even though it is a great learning experience, it usually is a total waste of time. And vastly overwhelming. I've tried it. Twice. And both times, I felt overwhelmed. Buried in a sea of code. Leads to burnout. Horrible feeling.
mr_gant

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 05:31:29 AM

So is this thread dead?
Seems like it. theymos hasn't provided any feedback in months, as far as I can tell.

I don't think anyone (who is experienced) has seriously suggested doing this. It's not feasible to write a complete product from scratch within the current budget, and it wouldn't make sense to do so for this project even if the budget was higher.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12899

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 12:20:13 PM

Sorry for the delay. Many people have submitted very good bids (some privately). I've been procrastinating because I'm not sure how to choose among the candidates. It requires a lot of thought.

I fixed some of the most serious problems in SMF, so I'm not in as big of a hurry as when I started this topic.

And do NOT leave MySQL.  There's a reason why its the MOST SECURE DB in the *Nix world.

LOL

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2012, 12:23:57 PM

Sorry for the delay. Many people have submitted very good bids (some privately). I've been procrastinating because I'm not sure how to choose among the candidates. It requires a lot of thought.

I fixed some of the most serious problems in SMF, so I'm not in as big of a hurry as when I started this topic.

And do NOT leave MySQL.  There's a reason why its the MOST SECURE DB in the *Nix world.

LOL

Why not run a poll where each candidate has a bitcoin address and the most coins sent to one of them is the winner Cheesy

hottweelz

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 02:54:21 PM

Quote from: theymos link=topic=50617.msg1167472#msg1167472 date=1347020413

LOL
[/quote

LOL?  Have you had bad experiences? 

Time to play!

VBulletin 4.  Its BULLETPROOF
Need proof else GTFO. I hate this attitude with a passion. It sounds stupid. Why do you think lots of vB users jumped ship after Internet Brands ttook the software over from Jelsoft? Just because a software costs a pretty penny does not mean it is better. I've already lost count of the numerous times me and my online buddies tell people this.

If paid software is "perfect", why do free alternatives even exist?

Where I'm glad you agree with the hand-writing aspect of "Forum Software,"  I'd have to disagree with the Jelsoft handover did that.... Jelsoft was absorbed back in 2007, it was just "never publicly released"

VBulletin would be the BEST for what the ADMIN requires in using and building this site based on the requirements listed.... Will you say that you'd rather see it sit as SMF, or maybe even PHPBB?

The bigger the company, the more controversy it will stir...
BlackPrapor

Activity: 626
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2012, 09:06:45 PM

doh, cmon guys, give it a birth already  Grin. or your perfect programmer doesn't exist yet?

There is no place like 127.0.0.1
In blockchain we trust
sippsnapp

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 02:53:42 AM

Maybe im just to far away on programming to understand what you are looking for but hey, there are huge forums as sayd running vbulletin very successfully indeed, same for mybb.

BTW, this was one of my first thoughts when i visited this forum, "omg the board software sucks but the forum is interesting, ill stay for a while", well after some hours of browsing its ok but first it was really like $&%W%&§$"§$2"§§(/%%%

Πάντα ῥεῖ
contemptx

Activity: 76

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:08:18 PM

I run several large forum communities and can tell you hands down that there is no need to re-invent the wheel.

I would highly recommend vBulletin 4.x as the forum software, almost all forums that are of any worth run this software.
vBulletin has an easy import function (Impex) which will convert the existing forum into vBulletin. ( I have down this several times and its straight forward. )

99% of what you have mentioned you would like the forum software to do vBulletin can already do and the other things you have mentioned that are not out of the box functionality are easily coded in simple plugins which I can also do.

I would gladly help you with this transition free of charge.

I would also recommend Servint.net as a hosting provider, I have hosted with multiple companies over the years and even own my own rack & since switching to servint have never looked back there support is second to none.

sippsnapp

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 12:57:07 AM

I run several large forum communities and can tell you hands down that there is no need to re-invent the wheel.

I would highly recommend vBulletin 4.x as the forum software, almost all forums that are of any worth run this software.
vBulletin has an easy import function (Impex) which will convert the existing forum into vBulletin. ( I have down this several times and its straight forward. )

99% of what you have mentioned you would like the forum software to do vBulletin can already do and the other things you have mentioned that are not out of the box functionality are easily coded in simple plugins which I can also do.

I would gladly help you with this transition free of charge.

I would also recommend Servint.net as a hosting provider, I have hosted with multiple companies over the years and even own my own rack & since switching to servint have never looked back there support is second to none.

Servint.net self managed dedi seems quite expensive, isnt it? I currently host with webtropia on an economy server but the hdd`s seems to be slow, the professional line should be good but still seem cheaper for an unmanaged solution.

Πάντα ῥεῖ
Liam W

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 01:17:59 PM

How would vBulletin with modifications to add certain functions be with you?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: