Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:53:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for someone to create/modify software for this forum [5500+ BTC]  (Read 165564 times)
akhavr

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:18:25 AM

I don't believe this opportunity is still open, esp with such big reward promised.

I'll go over the requirements with my team and will post questions.  We're 20+dev team doing high load sites in python/django/twisted/flask/TG/whatever

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:12:47 AM

Was this sup post to be unpinned?
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:29:53 AM

Yes. I thought it was kind of ridiculous that it's been pinned this long.

This project is still open, and the forum does have 5500+ BTC dedicated to it. The OP of this topic is not quite up-to-date on my expectations, though. I will update it at some point.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 07:09:38 AM

If I were u I would start to do something. In a couple of months this 5500 BTC could worth 1000 times less...
akhavr

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:52:27 AM

This project is still open, and the forum does have 5500+ BTC dedicated to it. The OP of this topic is not quite up-to-date on my expectations, though. I will update it at some point.

Ok, so what are up-to-date requirements?

Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:29:45 PM

Please hire a professional development company, and don't use any of these wannabe dreamweaver coders acting as freelance. Seriously, just do this right so it gets done right.
akhavr

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:06:30 PM

That's the point - we are professional development company http://42coffeecups.com with our clients being UCSC and Sourceforge, among others.  And yes, we're acceping BTC as payment vehicle, esp after being screwed by Bank of Cyprus.

So what are up-to-date requirements?  Who I have to talk to ?

opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 03:49:35 AM

Yes. I thought it was kind of ridiculous that it's been pinned this long.

The forum had 1.3 million dollars worth USD of bitcoin this week. This is unimaginable to even comprehend and people continue to give funds. I'm sorry, with that amount I would take the money and run. Everyone has their price, and that would be mine. Smiley Guys, if you decide to take the money and run, cause I'm almost sure maybe some of you will do that, please save some funds for a decent programmer!! You can actually quit your job/career and retire with the bitcoin you are "holding" for a public/free forum that is running a very old version of free forum software. This is really one for books and should be in the news paper or something. Gotta love it.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
Rawted

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:58:21 PM

That's the point - we are professional development company http://42coffeecups.com with our clients being UCSC and Sourceforge, among others.  And yes, we're acceping BTC as payment vehicle, esp after being screwed by Bank of Cyprus.

So what are up-to-date requirements?  Who I have to talk to ?
Your site, it's logo, and your portfolio are about as far from professional as it gets. This is the problem with the web dev world, everyone thinks they're an expert, very few are.
akhavr

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 08:07:26 PM

Your site, it's logo, and your portfolio are about as far from professional as it gets. 

Yup, sure and we were down today.  What a loss.

So the only up-to-date requirements are of Nov 2, 2011?

ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 01:21:46 PM

Theymos, can you explain here why discourse.org is not a good solution?

You can hire someone to custom tailor discourse to your liking, or give it to Jeff Atwood so they'd hire more programmers to add whatever features you feel are missing to the core product.

Discourse is going to be the future of forum software, no need to invent something new here.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
underminer

Activity: 210

Not for hire.

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:04:17 PM

Maybe hiring some mods that don't suck too, that might be a good use for that btc!

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:41:43 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2013, 06:06:41 PM by usagi

Theymos in all seriousness what you're looking for is not THAT difficult to implement. There are some catches here and there, but really, what you are looking for is NOT difficult to do. In fact looking over what you are asking for it seems a lot like some of the systems I came up with for one of my games. Why are you having such a problem getting this done?

For the amount of BTC on the table I'm considering taking a stab at it myself. Cuz I just don't get it. The absolute worst you could do is write a new back end for SMF. People write this kind of stuff all the time.

Edit: There's really only one way all you asked in the OP can be done, BTW, and it is guaranteed to be more resource hungry than SMF, because SMF isn't designed to do all those things, and the way you need to structure the code to do it will be a bit slower. But not by much. I really can't believe this has been open for over a year now.

It makes me thing that taking a stab at it is a waste of time. Surely others have tried, and been rejected for some unknown reason. Maybe your requirements are a bit strict? Simple question, if you had a system exactly as you described except that it was 30% slower than SMF, but say, could be run on multiple servers to scale very well, would you take something like that?
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:47:51 PM

One thing that I don't see listed in the first post, is this new software, also supposed to support the importing of existing users and posts? Or will the existing forum be made legacy and a transition made to the new one?

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Rawted

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:56:43 PM

One thing that I don't see listed in the first post, is this new software, also supposed to support the importing of existing users and posts? Or will the existing forum be made legacy and a transition made to the new one?
there's smf converters to virtually every single possible packaged forum software and db type known to man.
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 06:59:23 PM

there's smf converters to virtually every single possible packaged forum software and db type known to man.

Including the new one that has yet to be developed? That however, is not part of the specification. If someone is doing something from scratch, that should be included. No?

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 01:20:33 AM

Edit: There's really only one way all you asked in the OP can be done, BTW, and it is guaranteed to be more resource hungry than SMF, because SMF isn't designed to do all those things, and the way you need to structure the code to do it will be a bit slower. But not by much.

This is definitely not true. SMF is written in PHP, and it has a lot of unnecessary inefficiencies (which I've been fixing to keep the forum running). The additional features that I require aren't very resource-intensive, and I don't require some of SMF's resource-intensive features. The most expensive required feature is the web of trust, but that isn't too slow to begin with and it can be made faster with caching.

Maybe it's impossible if you write it in a week using bloated frameworks...

Simple question, if you had a system exactly as you described except that it was 30% slower than SMF, but say, could be run on multiple servers to scale very well, would you take something like that?

The slowness doesn't bother me much if more hardware can fix it and if the slowness doesn't increase exponentially with more users. However, if you know in advance that your design will be 30% slower, then I probably won't like your design for other reasons. I don't like doing too much at runtime for the sake of coding convenience, and I do like SQL.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 12:27:22 PM

Theymos,

Why no reply to the simple

Why are you having such a problem getting this done?

I understand that some things are harder than they seem. Can you please elaborate on what difficulties you're facing right now?

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
underminer

Activity: 210

Not for hire.

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:32:43 PM

You are certainly the type Theymos would choose I think--no sarcasm.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:28:24 AM

I am going to throw my hat into the ring, for 5500 BTC I can build a forum software package in php. I could even work full time for the forum in the IT department. I even get theymos coffee.

That is my offer and it is a legit offer.

And I will get you coffee while working on the HTML and CSS part of the forum. What I don't know, I will ask, e.g., what's the HTML hex code for the color orange?

Working together, we could have a groovy looking site, and to speed it up all we'll have to do is put it on Mt. Gox's server.

Seriously, with the exception of the other day, she's been runnin' pretty smoothly, and I haven't had any errors for a good long time now.

Can you imagine the forum we would have had using the $5M lost due to exchange rate decrease, and still have $5M in the coffer? BitcoinTalk would be the forum all other forums would look up to. Maybe some day.

~Bruno K~
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: