Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:21:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for someone to create/modify software for this forum [5500+ BTC]  (Read 165567 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:48:07 AM

I am going to throw my hat into the ring, for 5500 BTC I can build a forum software package in php. I could even work full time for the forum in the IT department. I even get theymos coffee.

That is my offer and it is a legit offer.

And I will get you coffee while working on the HTML and CSS part of the forum. What I don't know, I will ask, e.g., what's the HTML hex code for the color orange?

Working together, we could have a groovy looking site, and to speed it up all we'll have to do is put it on Mt. Gox's server.

Seriously, with the exception of the other day, she's been runnin' pretty smoothly, and I haven't had any errors for a good long time now.

Can you imagine the forum we would have had using the $5M lost due to exchange rate decrease, and still have $5M in the coffer? BitcoinTalk would be the forum all other forums would look up to. Maybe some day.

~Bruno K~

A drop of milk, a teaspoon of sugar. BTW that is #ff0000.

Imagine a forum that is just crazy colors, has no reason for orange and yellows. Also I just need one Gox Server and this will be running smoother than any forum on this internet.

$5million for forum software, it be the peak of my career and then I would retire. Then I call up pirate, cause I don't even know how I would spend $5million, maybe get a boat.

I thought FF0000 is red, but had to Google it to make sure--it is.

Speaking of crazy, for future revenue, set up a page like this one: http://anselme.homestead.com/AFPHAITI.html
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:44:16 AM

Speaking of crazy, for future revenue, set up a page like this one: http://anselme.homestead.com/AFPHAITI.html
wat da fuck did I just see?
gonna give me nightmares for sure
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 10:12:30 PM

Edit: There's really only one way all you asked in the OP can be done, BTW, and it is guaranteed to be more resource hungry than SMF, because SMF isn't designed to do all those things, and the way you need to structure the code to do it will be a bit slower. But not by much.

This is definitely not true. SMF is written in PHP, and it has a lot of unnecessary inefficiencies (which I've been fixing to keep the forum running). The additional features that I require aren't very resource-intensive, and I don't require some of SMF's resource-intensive features. The most expensive required feature is the web of trust, but that isn't too slow to begin with and it can be made faster with caching.

Maybe it's impossible if you write it in a week using bloated frameworks...

Simple question, if you had a system exactly as you described except that it was 30% slower than SMF, but say, could be run on multiple servers to scale very well, would you take something like that?

The slowness doesn't bother me much if more hardware can fix it and if the slowness doesn't increase exponentially with more users. However, if you know in advance that your design will be 30% slower, then I probably won't like your design for other reasons. I don't like doing too much at runtime for the sake of coding convenience, and I do like SQL.

The web of trust thing will just turn this place into high school all over again. Little groupies all over the place that have their little control over their piece of the pie. If they have the ability to withhold posts/information for other users to see then this would actually be going away from a community. Assuming this is what "web of trust" is all about. Someone doesn't like your avatar, sorry, can't post/contribute on this board and can't see the latest posts.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
opentoe
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 10:14:11 PM

Theymos,

Why no reply to the simple

Why are you having such a problem getting this done?

I understand that some things are harder than they seem. Can you please elaborate on what difficulties you're facing right now?

Letting go of such a lot of bitcoin if quite difficult. My precious.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
jade087

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 11:51:40 PM

Still waiting to get a response back from my bid, or to get a new list of requirements so that I can update it.

FWIW I submitted a bid that involved monthly payments and regular feedback, you shouldn't be making a single large BTC transfer.
Mahn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:46:34 AM

Has it been considered to open source a SMF fork specifically for Bitcointalk on, say, Github, and let the community improve it one feature at a time via pull requests? Perhaps this is more effective at getting something moving forward?

escrow.ms
Legendary

Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:16:50 AM

5500+ BTC

I think theymos is trolling us.  Cheesy

Nope. You can verify the forum's balance:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155000.0

All of it is available for this project. However, I now want to be more closely involved in the software creation process than I did when I started this topic. I'm probably not going to pay people large amounts in advance (and certainly nowhere near 5500 BTC).

If it's available i am going to work on mybb and will get all the functions you have posted in this thread.
Most of them are inbuilt in mybb and rest can be added via some plugins which i'll make.
juca

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 09:26:10 AM

I vote for an open source software on github, but with node.js...really fast...I'm willing to contribute for free
juca

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 06:59:21 PM

ok! php is fine!  Grin
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 07:37:08 PM

I vote for an open source software on github, but with node.js...really fast...I'm willing to contribute for free

node.js wouldn't be able to handle all this traffic, as well as node.js isn't a good programming tool. Plus theymos wants it in php.

I don't know about node.js, but javascript in general is a really fast JIT language. Far faster than PHP, for certain.
juca

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 08:33:50 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2013, 10:54:16 PM by juca

node.js wouldn't be able to handle all this traffic, as well as node.js isn't a good programming tool. Plus theymos wants it in php.

I don't know about node.js, but javascript in general is a really fast JIT language. Far faster than PHP, for certain.

hi dree12,
indeed node.js is much faster than php. not because js is faster, but because of the new VM google created, v8, which is really fast. node uses v8 under the hood, plus it uses async native capabilities of javascript. What it does, is event driven programming, there's only 1 thread.

I just didn't want to answer to gweedo, cause in the end of the day, i think php is a best fit, not only because theymos  is confortable with the language, but also because it's a language (programming style, not async) that is more well known, so more people can contribute.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:22:37 AM

hi dree12,
indeed node.js is much faster than php. not because js is faster, but because of the new VM google created, v8, which is really fast. node uses v8 under the hood, plus it uses async native capabilities of javascript. What it does, is event driven programming, there's only 1 thread.

I just didn't want to answer to gweedo, cause in the end of the day, i think php is a best fit, not only because theymos  is confortable with the language, but also because it's a language (programming style, not async) that is more well known, so more people can contribute.

I say "javascript in general" because just about every modern tool that runs JS has a lightning-fast JIT. TraceMonkey, Chakra, and Carakan are all as fast as V8.

I do most of my programming in JS nowadays not because I like prototyping or asynchronous event models, but because it's so fast.

This code:
Code:
            "use strict";
            var now = Date.now();
            for (let i = 0; i < 10000000; i++) {
                let k = Math.sin(i);
            }
            console.log((Date.now()-now)/1000);
executed in 4.9 s (TraceMonkey) on my ages-old computer. The equivalent Python code takes 6.6 seconds (using int instead of float, so it should actually be slower), and the equivalent Java code 7.3 seconds (using double instead of int).
juca

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 10:11:19 AM

hi dree12,

I say "javascript in general" because just about every modern tool that runs JS has a lightning-fast JIT. TraceMonkey, Chakra, and Carakan are all as fast as V8.

I do most of my programming in JS nowadays not because I like prototyping or asynchronous event models, but because it's so fast.

This code:
Code:
            "use strict";
            var now = Date.now();
                let k = Math.sin(i);
            }
executed in 4.9 s (TraceMonkey) on my ages-old computer. The equivalent Python code takes 6.6 seconds (using int instead of float, so it should actually be slower), and the equivalent Java code 7.3 seconds (using double instead of int).
anyway, I would still stick with PHP. php-fpm + nginx should do the  job, perhaps Varnish in front of...
danieldaniel

Activity: 854

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 10:20:55 AM

hi dree12,

This code:
Code:
            "use strict";
            var now = Date.now();
                let k = Math.sin(i);
            }
anyway, I would still stick with PHP. php-fpm + nginx should do the  job, perhaps Varnish in front of...
From what I've seen, people who say "I would stick with PHP" after proven wrong (about speed) tend to not know any other languages.  Cheesy

Correct me if I'm wrong.

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 10:23:54 AM

How is the most pathetic thread of the whole forum going?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
juca

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 10:27:32 AM

hi dree12,

This code:
Code:
            "use strict";
            var now = Date.now();
                let k = Math.sin(i);
            }
From what I've seen, people who say "I would stick with PHP" after proven wrong (about speed) tend to not know any other languages.  Cheesy

Correct me if I'm wrong.
well, you are wrong. I also know javascript very well, a bit of ruby and python. the point is, make something that everyone can contribute. Not to mention, that theymos want to modify the software also, himself, and he is confortable with php, java, etc, so PHP would be a good fit. Besides, this won't be a complex app dude, is just a forum! no need for admin clicky clicky interface.

My proposal for the app, is to make something cool, that will help the community, not to start comp languages flame wars. Are you willing to contribute?
juca

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 10:30:00 AM

Hey! Hello troll! Welcome! Grin
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 11:02:32 AM

Did you read the whole thread before calling me troll? Because I did.
There is no will at all to improve the current platform, the admin showed that refusing any serious offer.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
juca

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:07:32 PM

Did you read the whole thread before calling me troll? Because I did.
There is no will at all to improve the current platform, the admin showed that refusing any serious offer.
hi,

apologize for calling you a troll. Honestly, i had read the first pages, than i jumped to the last, since the thread was open and the job wasn't done, i assumed that it was some financial problem going on there, so i decided to throw the open source idea in the pot, since this forum is used by all of us, and it is not a subscription forum, anyone can use it.

I have to agree now, the thread must be closed, I could read that the admin doesn't want any more changes, for now.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:48:01 PM

well, you are wrong. I also know javascript very well, a bit of ruby and python. the point is, make something that everyone can contribute. Not to mention, that theymos want to modify the software also, himself, and he is confortable with php, java, etc, so PHP would be a good fit. Besides, this won't be a complex app dude, is just a forum! no need for admin clicky clicky interface.

My proposal for the app, is to make something cool, that will help the community, not to start comp languages flame wars. Are you willing to contribute?

I'm 100% with you. Through my years of learning... I've come up with one thing that's proven pretty steady: most languages are going to have similar results if you know how to use them properly. People often put down one language as being "worse" because they don't understand the proper usage of it and so for them it is worse.

I hate the JS vs PHP vs (insert whatever you want here) debates. Use what you know and you're going to do a much better job.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: