Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:17:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BCN] Bytecoin. Secure, private, untraceable since 2012  (Read 1070046 times)
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:28:49 AM

Oh really. Do you have any idea where those timestamps come from?

If they stored a hash of the the BCN genesis block into the BTC blockchain buried back in 2012, I'd be somewhat impressed. Timestamps in their own blockchain, not so much.

You never miss a beat, do you smooth. You're like the Cryptocoin conspiracy theorist.

Why would a group of people who devoted so much time and thought, create a lie about something as trivial as a date.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:20:43 AM

If they stored a hash of the the BCN genesis block into the BTC blockchain buried back in 2012, I'd be somewhat impressed. Timestamps in their own blockchain, not so much.

You never miss a beat, do you smooth. You're like the Cryptocoin conspiracy theorist.

Why would a group of people who devoted so much time and thought, create a lie about something as trivial as a date.

Is there an announcement, say on bitcointalk, that is earlier than April 1, 2013?
Is there something like a newspaper headline in the genesis block comment?

I try to be respectful and informed.
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:31:45 PM

to mak money because people would be more eager to buy ?
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:54:02 PM

How long does a withdrawal usually take on the cryptonote exchange? 12 hours? This is the longest I've ever waited for a withdrawal to process  Sad
Bytecoin withdraws was completed a few hours ago. You must be prepared to wait up to 24 hours, but often it will be sent within few hours.

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 01:01:11 PM

The most reasonable explanation IMO is that it was a test coin for some time and devs instead of launching a new one without their test premine decided to launch it and see what money they can grab by dumping what they have.

A few conspiracy like comments like hurr durr this coin is very known in dark net and who knows for what is being used make noobs believing in that.

Well i guess somehow devs should be paid for their very nice algo. And as people exist that fall for it even for a few BTC thats good for devs Smiley No hard feelings. They seem to have delivered a very promising algo.
nakaone

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:30:26 PM

The most reasonable explanation IMO is that it was a test coin for some time and devs instead of launching a new one without their test premine decided to launch it and see what money they can grab by dumping what they have.

A few conspiracy like comments like hurr durr this coin is very known in dark net and who knows for what is being used make noobs believing in that.

Well i guess somehow devs should be paid for their very nice algo. And as people exist that fall for it even for a few BTC thats good for devs Smiley No hard feelings. They seem to have delivered a very promising algo.

I only have inferior knowledge on dark and deepweb but I could not find any place where it is used. I am assuming until know dark and deepweb are using bitcoins and litecoins + mixing services.
sorryforthat

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:28:35 PM

I only have inferior knowledge on dark and deepweb but I could not find any place where it is used. I am assuming until know dark and deepweb are using bitcoins and litecoins + mixing services.

You are aware that much of the internet is not really indexed. Darkweb isnt really the only place to hide. You dont need to do much to hide in plain sight.
JohnnyBTCSeed

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:43:02 PM

To remove any doubt about a pre-mine. Here look at the monkey! Obviously the genesis block wouldn't lie.

Note: No disrespect to the devs, You've done some amazing work.

The question is though,  Can ANYONE create a genesis block with a fake timestamp. IE: is it possible?
shekelsteingoyberg2

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:55:04 PM

The question is though,  Can ANYONE create a genesis block with a fake timestamp. IE: is it possible?

If you control the entire network anything is possible.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:11:00 PM

It's not only possible it is quite trivial.

Code:
block.timestamp = time()

Could easily be replaced with
Code:
block.timestamp = some other number

The only issue is getting the rest of the blocks built on top of it. In a distributed network, a block won't be accepted if the timestamp is too far off, but if you are running the whole network yourself, you can easily disable that check.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:13:25 PM

To justify keeping 150 billion coins instead of relaunching it upon release.
sorryforthat

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:25:21 PM

You want it all handed to you on a silver platter. Do remember that the devs never publicly posted this to the forum and never attempted to spread it to the bitcoin community. No ANN or Re-launch. It was discovered and posted by DStrange and spread by a lot of the people involved with Monero whether it be Devs or Early adopters, myself included. So once again, the need for them to lie is very moot at this point.
graphfox

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:27:20 PM

Keeping or dumping them seems less reasonable than emission through the still missing GUI wallet. Mining never seemed like the best way to get a currency emitted anyway.
matej krkic

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:31:52 PM

You want it all handed to you on a silver platter. Do remember that the devs never publicly posted this to the forum and never attempted to spread it to the bitcoin community. No ANN or Re-launch. It was discovered and posted by DStrange and spread by a lot of the people involved with Monero whether it be Devs or Early adopters, myself included. So once again, the need for them to lie is very moot at this point.

+1

It's useless to argue with smooth about bytecoin. He has his own religion. It's like him believing in Flying Spaghetti Monster. We cannot claim him for his religion =)
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:37:54 PM

You want it all handed to you on a silver platter. Do remember that the devs never publicly posted this to the forum and never attempted to spread it to the bitcoin community.

I know a bunch of Newbie accounts with no real previous activity started posting about it, yes.

As I said before, the developers were either idiots, thinking that a coin with new real user base could possibly be successful, or they saw that executing premine scams was getting harder and dressed it up with a little extra gloss (secret deep web stores and services, cicada 3301, etc.). I don't think they are idiots.

On top of which, the code they did release had a deliberately (or at best highly suspicious) de-optimized miner ensuring a continued advantage over other miners. This is not my opinion, it is the opinion of several well known and highly talented programmers on this forum. You can dismiss my religious views, but you can't dismiss code.

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 08:17:30 PM

+1

It's useless to argue with smooth about bytecoin. He has his own religion. It's like him believing in Flying Spaghetti Monster. We cannot claim him for his religion =)

Meanwhile the only one that truly believes that there is nothing wrong with 80% of bytecoins mined without a single info of bytecoin for alleged 2 years is you. It's like you believe in God. Actually now that i think about it in Xenu! Cheesy
Rias

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:20:35 PM

Hm, there's something I'd really like to see for Bytecoin. A cryptonote pool from https://github.com/zone117x/node-cryptonote-pool

Can anybody create this one to mine instead of closed-source Minergate?
flower1024
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:28:26 PM

Hm, there's something I'd really like to see for Bytecoin. A cryptonote pool from https://github.com/zone117x/node-cryptonote-pool

They've released open-source instructions for the miner.

Does MinerGate still have withdrawal problems?
Rias

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:39:07 PM

They've released open-source instructions for the miner.

Does MinerGate still have withdrawal problems?

I know, but there are two points I keep in mind:

1) Open-source pools can attract those users that don't like closed-source pools in general. And having just a 3rd party mining tool connected to a private pool is not sufficient. After all, is there any way to check what's really going on with the payments?

2) I personally couldn't make Bytecoin compile with their instructions. Although I have all dependencies, I run into "internal compiler error" on Ubuntu 14.04. I'm not an advanced Ubuntu user, but trying to beat the error and even reinstalling different versions of Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04) I arrived at nothing although the compiler hits this bug on different % of the job.

I've tried Minergate's withdrawal on Saturday, it worked for 300k BCNs.
Cheesus

Activity: 692
Merit: 254

terra-credit.com

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:58:13 PM

I know, but there are two points I keep in mind:

1) Open-source pools can attract those users that don't like closed-source pools in general. And having just a 3rd party mining tool connected to a private pool is not sufficient. After all, is there any way to check what's really going on with the payments?

2) I personally couldn't make Bytecoin compile with their instructions. Although I have all dependencies, I run into "internal compiler error" on Ubuntu 14.04. I'm not an advanced Ubuntu user, but trying to beat the error and even reinstalling different versions of Ubuntu (12.10 & 13.04) I arrived at nothing although the compiler hits this bug on different % of the job.

I've tried Minergate's withdrawal on Saturday, it worked for 300k BCNs.

#1 is a valid point. DStrange, how much can you assign from Bytecoin call-to-arms fund to those starting a BCN open-source pool? (If it is that easy with the node-cryptonote-pool).

About #2. That is quite weird, minergate's instructions worked fine for me. Are you using virtual machine? What's your RAM size?

███████████████████████
  █████████████████████ 
    ███████████████████ 
      █████████████████ 
███████████████████████
          █████████████ 
            ███████████ 
              █████████ 
                ███████ 
                  ████ 
                    ███ 

terracredit