Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:43:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 400 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy the DIP, and HODL!  (Read 76273 times)
red4slash

Activity: 1274
Merit: 424

View Profile
August 24, 2023, 03:46:43 PM

Oh yes, we also have to distinguish between working hard to achieve something and forcing ourselves to achieve something. There are times when we have to think about that, because it is not uncommon for people to think they are working hard, when in fact, they are pushing themselves.

These are not easy to know in the moment and frequently it takes experience to better understand boundaries (or thresholds) that we might have, and if we might have gone too far in something that goes from being aggressive and/or assertive and into the lands of gambling.  .., and it can sometimes be o.k. to cross over into some places that we might not want to go, but we have to realize also whether we might still be able to achieve some of the same desires for risks or whatever, but just take a bit of a smaller position size for that particular part of what we might be trying to do.. for example, we might go over budget on something or we might even decide to be overly whimpy on something... but if we think about why we are doing it and what are the consequences, then at least we have potentially been able to get some of the benefits of modifying what we had thought that we were going to do, but to modify it in such a way that accounts how much of a position we using in order to take those actions.
In any case, experience is invaluable, and this is no exception when it comes to realizing the points I mentioned earlier. I didn't realize it right away either, but it has been a long process for me to be able to say things like this.
And if we talk about risk, or the consequences of what we do, then it is very clear that everything has that risk, whether it is a small risk or a big risk. and again it is experience that helps us determine whether the risk is worth taking or we should avoid it.

Yes, I agree with this, the knowledge we have is inseparable from the experiences we have. Or even experiences that make us wiser in determining something that we did not encounter before. Moreover, we are talking in a space where we are led to be able to continue to develop in seeing certain situations. The cryptocurrency space, especially bitcoin, is something that we cannot understand with a quick process, and I am sure outside of me many investors have grown along with their experience while in this space.

Sometimes in situations where we have to choose, the person with knowledge will be different from the person with experience. I mean, experienced people will see what they have experienced before, and I think that's a +.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBITCRYPTO
FUTURES
[
1,000x
LEVERAGE
][
COMPETITIVE
FEES
][
INSTANT
EXECUTION
]██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TRADE NOW
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BigBos

Activity: 1876
Merit: 447

View Profile
August 24, 2023, 05:05:42 PM

Oh yes, we also have to distinguish between working hard to achieve something and forcing ourselves to achieve something. There are times when we have to think about that, because it is not uncommon for people to think they are working hard, when in fact, they are pushing themselves.

These are not easy to know in the moment and frequently it takes experience to better understand boundaries (or thresholds) that we might have, and if we might have gone too far in something that goes from being aggressive and/or assertive and into the lands of gambling.  .., and it can sometimes be o.k. to cross over into some places that we might not want to go, but we have to realize also whether we might still be able to achieve some of the same desires for risks or whatever, but just take a bit of a smaller position size for that particular part of what we might be trying to do.. for example, we might go over budget on something or we might even decide to be overly whimpy on something... but if we think about why we are doing it and what are the consequences, then at least we have potentially been able to get some of the benefits of modifying what we had thought that we were going to do, but to modify it in such a way that accounts how much of a position we using in order to take those actions.
In any case, experience is invaluable, and this is no exception when it comes to realizing the points I mentioned earlier. I didn't realize it right away either, but it has been a long process for me to be able to say things like this.
And if we talk about risk, or the consequences of what we do, then it is very clear that everything has that risk, whether it is a small risk or a big risk. and again it is experience that helps us determine whether the risk is worth taking or we should avoid it.

Yes, I agree with this, the knowledge we have is inseparable from the experiences we have. Or even experiences that make us wiser in determining something that we did not encounter before. Moreover, we are talking in a space where we are led to be able to continue to develop in seeing certain situations. The cryptocurrency space, especially bitcoin, is something that we cannot understand with a quick process, and I am sure outside of me many investors have grown along with their experience while in this space.

Sometimes in situations where we have to choose, the person with knowledge will be different from the person with experience. I mean, experienced people will see what they have experienced before, and I think that's a +.

Well of course, the journey as they enter a field will definitely lead them to a process that they have to go through, and with that, there will definitely be a lot of knowledge that they encounter there. Process is a journey that will lead us to development. Now I agree with you that with the development of this very fast era requires us to keep going and balance everything according to today's digital age. When it comes to cryptocurrency I think this is a space that is quite difficult for us to understand, and maybe only a few of them are able to walk to achieve success in the world of cryptocurrency, and I think in the process of living the world of cryptocurrency it really requires seriousness, and it's true as you say that they will take a long time to be able to adapt or fully understand the world of cryptocurrency. If they are willing to learn and have high enthusiasm then I think they will have a chance to succeed in the world of cryptocurrency.
Well that's right, experienced people and also people who have knowledge are certainly very different. someone who has experience he has felt it directly about various processes or difficulties or whatever is there and it will be very different from people who only have knowledge. There are many thick books that we can read to gain knowledge but you will not be able to get direct experience if you just read.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10180

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 24, 2023, 06:32:16 PM
Last edit: August 24, 2023, 09:02:06 PM by JayJuanGee
Merited by Dictator69 (1)

Planning is the first stage of anything that is associated with consistency. It is following the plan that is called consistency.   DCA is itself a plan and following your DCA is the consistency.
I get your point, but I don't see consistency as just following your plan, as plans can be followed in different ways. Let me say, for instance, that I have a plan to accumulate 1 Bitcoin before the end of one year, and initially I strategize to buy another 0.08335 before the end of every month. In the first two to three months, I was able to achieve that, but because of some kind of personal issue, you decided to shift out the amount you want to accumulate this month, but with the belief that you will be able to gather more than you plan for the next month so that you can cover up the balance of last month.

In such a case, I don't see that as consistency, as I view consistency as the process of doing a particular thing constantly, nonstop, until the purpose of that thing is achieved without even bridging any of the set-out plans along the way.
You've raised a valid point worth considering, but I still find myself agreeing with oduhu. He mentioned that consistency lies in following the plan. For instance, if the plan is to accumulate $1000 worth of BTC by year-end, and I achieve this goal each year using the DCA strategy, then I am consistent. The specific methods I use to reach that goal within the year might vary due to trends or economic factors, but the important part is maintaining the consistency of achieving that $1000 worth of BTC annually.

These may be arguments about semantics, and even though the whole idea might seem a bit trivial, there could be ways that guys go wrong because they take the ideas of consistency and persistency in the wrong direction.

It seems that the idea of consistency first came up in the context of either setting DCA orders on a regular basis and for a regular amount, whether that might be daily, weekly or monthly.  Another way that it came up was in terms of buying on dips or even setting ladder increments, and the example was if you had $1,200 and if you were to set that for buying on dips.. would there be advantages in terms of setting 4 orders equally at $300 each, or might there be advantages in varying them.

If you are talking about how to reach a goal over a whole year, and then having variance in terms of ways that the goals are met, then you seem to be talking about being persistent to make your end of the year goal, but you might not follow consistent practices to reach the goal.. so if you have a $1,200 that you want to invest into bitcoin for the whole year, you could divide that into $100 per month, or maybe around $25 per week even though you would end up at $1,300 if you were to buy all of the 52 weeks of the year, so you could adjust that down to $23.08 in order to stay in a $1,200.16 budget for that year.

Consistency might be to keep investing $23.08 every week no matter what, which thereby would make that weekly buy a priority and maybe that money had already been somewhat set aside in order that it does not cause cashflow issues, so any flexibility that would thereby be needed might come from some other place in the budget..

And, don't get me wrong, I am not even devaluing the ideas of consistency and persistency because sometimes if someone is wanting to reach certain goals they need to set priorities, so they still likely have to set their goals in a a kind of realistic way in which they are able to carry out the goals - and so if the person does not have an adequate emergency fund, then s/he might have had set too aggressive of BTC accumulation goals and they might need to be adjusted downwardly in order to cause them to be more realistic.

You do seem to be mixing up your definitions a bit, so I am not sure if I am going to be able to pound the proper way of thinking about the matter into your head.

A more strict DCA approach is going to largely be price agnostic................

Another thing is that maybe this person has his budget pretty well figured out and his emergency fund is good, .............which is 1) lump sum 2) DCA, 3) buying on dips.................only one of the categories.
You have abled to pound the whole definitions and differences nicely in my mind because now I totally understand what makes DCA strict one and fancy one. Totally got the idea and thanks for the easy explanation too. Really appreciate.

PS: just thinking the advice like the three options you mentioned in the second scenario which are Lump sum, DCA and buying on Dips. I mean no offense, but do you also follow these same norms of investing. Means, aren't you are sharing VIP tips to everyone. Wink

I have done all of the things that I talk about, and sure many times they are going to be tailored to the specific situation and depending on what stage someone is in his/her bitcoin journey, so if you are in an accumulation phase, you could be in early, middle or late accumulation which might affect how you might prioritize, and then perhaps if you have been accumulating bitcoin for a while, you may transition to a kind of maintenance and/or liquidation stage.. I consider that I did my most aggressive accumulation between late 2013 and late 2014, and by the end of 2014, I was starting to think that I had enough BTC, but at that time, I could not help myself to continue to accumulate in 2015 and 2016.. and sure I have been accumulating after 2016 too, but not as aggressively as I had done in that first year... and another thing is that even as early as 2015, I was already thinking that I was transitioning into a maintenance stage, but BTC accumulation is not excluded from that, even though some of the priorities and urgencies change.

Another thing is that many normal people (normies) might not be able to go from BTC accumulation to maintenance as quickly unless they might already be starting with an investment portfolio, and I had already largely had been building my investment portfolio for more than 20 years prior to getting into bitcoin, so it was likely easier to reach accumulation targets based on those kinds of considerations.. and it is my sense that many normies still might need to take nearly 20 years to build their BTC holdings, but surely BTC price appreciation could help to cut those BTC accumulation timelines down a lot more than might have had been the case in traditional investments.  Of course, there are no guarantees that screw ups will not end up happening and there still may well be needs for the BTC accumulation times to take as long as they would have had taken through traditional methods... and there are also no guarantees that goals will be reached.. but surely a good thing if goals are actually able to be reached and even surpassed.

Well one of the ONLY ways that DCA really works is if you have some level of confidence that the asset in which you are investing is going to have periods in which it goes up in..........
Got it.
Strict DCA is not concerned about price.  When you are concerned about the BTC price you are engaging in buying on dip strategies... not DCA.. ........
I already got this point as you explained it with examples in this same reply, Now I understand what strict, soft or hybrid DCA means.

Yes.  I repeat myself sometimes.

[edited out]
And also apply the DCA at the top which is to exchange from Bitcoin to the USDT and hold more dollars when the price is at the top,  wait for the price to touch down again and buy back.
But such a model also has its own risk and that is why sometimes as an investor you make some adjustments in both your capital holdings and time adjustments.

Maybe I am quibbling with some of the semantics.. .. but I want to say that even though I am selling on the way up and buying on the way down, I am neither claiming to be trading nor selling enough BTC that I have any preferences that the BTC price goes back down..

so personally, I have been saying that the main strategy to attempt to build your BTC stack is to engage in various BTC accumulation strategies until you reach such a level that you are way overly-allocated into BTC and then at that point, you have more options and you may well be in a position to consider selling small amounts of BTC on the way up.;.but you still have to be more careful with any of those kinds of strategies, especially the earlier that you are in your BTC accumulation journey.

Accordingly, I don't consider selling of BTC to be a BTC accumulation strategy or even a good strategy to even be attempting to increase BTC holdings, even though it could be considered a kind of insurance strategy in the case that BTC prices were to end up going back down.... even though the amounts are greatly biased in favor of UP..

Let's say for example I were to have 10 BTC (and I am not even saying this is not a fictitious number), so maybe if the BTC price were to go down $5k from $30k to $25k, in this example, the overall value of my BTC holdings would have had dropped from $300k to $250k, and maybe I might have ended up buying back anywhere between $500 and $2k worth of BTC depending on how aggressively my buy back orders had been set.  Accordingly, what I am saying is that the selling amount and the buy back amounts are not so great to overall affect the overall BTC portfolio size that continues to be heavily biased towards holding BTC.. and a perhaps a kind of maintance of the BTC portfolio size rather than either accumulation and/or liquidation.

It could be the case that I am engaging in a kind of complicated semantics in the way that I am describing some of these selling on the way up dynamics and how those proceeds are used to buy back.. even though to me it seems problematic for people to consider selling BTC to be BTC accumulation strategy - and this thread is meant to be mostly directed towards the ideas of BTC accumulation and holding..  not selling.

Planning is the first stage of anything that is associated with consistency. It is following the plan that is called consistency.   DCA is itself a plan and following your DCA is the consistency.
I get your point, but I don't see consistency as just following your plan, as plans can be followed in different ways. Let me say, for instance, that I have a plan to accumulate 1 Bitcoin before the end of one year, and initially I strategize to buy another 0.08335 before the end of every month. In the first two to three months, I was able to achieve that, but because of some kind of personal issue, you decided to shift out the amount you want to accumulate this month, but with the belief that you will be able to gather more than you plan for the next month so that you can cover up the balance of last month.

In such a case, I don't see that as consistency, as I view consistency as the process of doing a particular thing constantly, nonstop, until the purpose of that thing is achieved without even bridging any of the set-out plans along the way.
Planning have an ultimate goal which is the target. In the example you gave which is accumulating 1 BTC in 12 months, the target is 1BTC and the process of achieving that is the plan. The process is not cast in stones as there can be unforseen circumstances, such as you mention,  that could make you adjust a little. But as long as the target is achieved, to me the plan worked. You cannot say because something happened along the line and you made some adjustments to counterbalance it, then you are not consistent in following the plan. Even in economis, for every law propounded, there is always the clause: "other things being equal".
Persistence and consistency are also two differing concepts.
You are absolutely correct and that is what Nwada001 seems to be mixing up. By definition, persistence means pushing through when obstacle arises while consistency means building and following a process, that is repetitive in nature, in order to achieve a target.
Putting it together with respect to his example, it is persistence that is needed to sustain the plan even in the midst of challenges. If I want to accumulate 1BTC in a year with my monthly Salary, and I decide to set aside say 50% of it monthly to achieve that, if perhaps along the line I got another cash from other source that is up to the 50% and decided to double the amount of buying for that particular month, we cannot say I did not follow my plan again. In this case, the plan just got a boost. The target is always the goal while the time can vary a bit.

The more that we talk about this example, the more unrealistic I start to consider it to be.  Sure, guys do end up coming up with goals regarding how many BTC that they want to accumulate within a certain time period, but part of the reason that the goal seems to be unrealistic is partly due to its being denominated in a salary that you are likely earning in another kind of a currency (not BTC) so there is a cause for way greater variability, so even if you might say that I plan to invest $30k into bitcoin within the next year, then you know how much dollars that you can put in and you know how much income that you have coming in... but yeah, sure maybe it is still be doable to suggest how much BTC to accumulate per month, so long as the amount is not at the upper limits of your capabilities and you have a sufficient amount of cushion contained within the  amount that you are expecting to accumulate each month.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Ryu_Ar1

Activity: 770
Merit: 615

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2023, 06:38:29 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Not wrong with your opinion exactly how to keep consistent accumulate in daily day or weekly for investing in Bitcoin, not all investor have the same abilities actually after pandemic covid 19 and right now I face with recession era, have much debt have to pay when cut off my salary during pandemic and as possible keep consistent spent few percent of my salary for accumulating in bitcoin and my debt payment. I don't think problem with small or bigger amount but consistency needed if want earn profit one day later with our investment keep accumulate bitcoin in daily day.
Therefore, it is important for us to know and plan from the beginning about good financial management so that conditions like this do not bother you too much.
I have said before that bitcoin investment will be better if we budget in the monthly income we have with a few percent aside as a form of consistency if doing DCA in other words the view of buying with "more money we have" is slightly changed in this case so that we know the expenses that we will determine to do DCA.
Regardless of whether DCA is done per day / per week / per month, we have a fixed budget so that it can be used as an initial calculation.
With this condition, apart from us being able to know how much budget we spend, we also know that the income we have from the salary will not make it difficult for us to do DCA because there is already a fixed budget that we determine.

Maybe this sounds a little imposing because we are cutting some monthly budgets but as long as it doesn't bother you and you are not burdened by the income from your salary being cut then I think it's fine and I always do something like this every month.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Salahmu

Activity: 392
Merit: 269

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2023, 06:49:37 PM

In most cases people loss out the opportunity to buy Bitcoin even when the market had given them opportunity to buy, though with the Bitcoin price movement consolidating nothing is certain for sure but one could actually utilize the opportunity by structuring his portfolio in such a way that if for example you have $20k total on your portfolio you could actually invest half of it at this current price because you have no idea if Bitcoin will continue the dipp or not so with this you no that even if the market doesn't get to your targeted point and move back up your are likely covered with the first entry instead of losing out completely. So These diagram display the need to strategize on taking advantage of the dip and fly to the moon in the near future.

Duelbits
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DICE 
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
MINES 
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
PLINKO 
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Furious 7

Activity: 2842
Merit: 641

https://duelbits.com/

View Profile
August 24, 2023, 07:05:18 PM

It depends on your own strategy and choice, I think. Regardless of whether you want DCA or waiting if you really believe the price you are waiting for will be reached then that is also no problem as long as the focus is still buying regardless of buy on the dips or DCA you determine what you think is best.

But in this case I will still do both, DCA is one of the things that I still continue to do and stopping DCA means I have lost consistency in it and it will be annoying on the other hand that does not mean I am not preparing to buy on the dip because it is also still possible for me to do but on the other hand this is also not to be a reference for others because again all have strategies and patterns that they do in collecting bitcoin it's just that this is my version regardless of this is one of greed or impulsiveness I have no problem with it because I have considered my financial condition.
Got it, We should do DCA for the long run and for the short term we should do lump sum because I have found one calculator to calculate what results we might get if we have done lump sum or DCA. Well, here is the site Not trying to promote it here instead sharing for info only. https://dcacryptocalculator.com/bitcoin

Well, I have got some results by entering some dates and in the last 6 months we make profit only if we have done lump sum but by doing DCA we might lose the asset's value. The thing is, accumulating is all matter as you said so I think I am agree with you.
We need to consider that we will not always have a large amount of funds ready at once, so in this case DCA is possible. Although not all of them are like that, most people, including me, are always constrained by financial conditions and it will be very difficult if they buy btc in large quantities at once so by thinking about things like this, I prefer to make gradual purchases with the time and amount I want beforehand.
This is in order to maintain our consistency in making purchases and in order to maintain the financial condition that we have from income to remain stable and the purchase of bitcoin does not affect the expenses we make every month.

But in this case I will still do both, DCA is one of the things that I still continue to do and stopping DCA means I have lost consistency in it and it will be annoying on the other hand that does not mean I am not preparing to buy on the dip because it is also still possible for me to do but on the other hand this is also not to be a reference for others because again all have strategies and patterns that they do in collecting bitcoin it's just that this is my version regardless of this is one of greed or impulsiveness I have no problem with it because I have considered my financial condition.
Most people do not really know how easy DCA makes life to be in the aspect of buying bitcoin. The greatest challenge people have about bitcoin investment is knowing when to buy and when to sell. DCA removes this burden and allow you do this things seamlessly. I used to be very emotional about investing in bitcoin but with DCA, I am like a robot... only following the rules as I set them. This save me energy and time and help me better manage my resources. It also make me not to buy under compulsion or put myself into pressure as regards to other things of life.

Hey, I don't really agree with saying about the ease of DCA because if we feel DCA and without careful calculations beforehand, such as not having a rule on the amount to be purchased every week / month (in DCA), it will actually make you hassle and stop your DCA because you are wrong. in taking action especially in managing the amount of purchases made.
Apart from that, maintaining consistency in DCA requires struggle and not everyone can do that.

A few things about knowing how to actually buy or sell when we are in DCA, if we really want to be consistent within a certain time frame, we don't think too much about the price when buying, because our commitment is DCA. When the time is set to buy, then use that time. When investing, especially for the long term, we are aware of what to do when and where we will stop, so it won't be too disruptive in the near term, and I'm also not too interested in selling in the near future, especially during DCA.

.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Dictator69

Activity: 109
Merit: 70

View Profile
August 24, 2023, 07:29:36 PM

Some of those pro-lump sum arguments presume too much about people having lump sums that are available and able to be invested at strategic times, ...........
Got the point and of course when I used that tool (calculator to calculate DCA) I select the frequency first to week and investment to $10 only and I was on lose according to that tool when I set the start date of 2 months ago. Well, the point is the frequency of investing in BTC by doing DCA do provide us the benefit that if we do not have enough funds to invest all at once.

Means, let's say if the investment become $5k by doing DCA and if we have enough funds at the start then we might have preferred to do Lump Sum. But as I do not have that much money at the start so I should prefer to enter the market with less too. I totally got the point here too. And also, I think one might not like DCA while other could.
ginsan

Activity: 1316
Merit: 616

View Profile
August 24, 2023, 08:37:46 PM

~~
A few things about knowing how to actually buy or sell when we are in DCA,
~~
Maybe this is what I quoted.

So for your explanation maybe a little bit good but in this mindset maybe we won't think about options on how we should sell.  lol

I think the argument we have in mind is to buy and hold and not to sell in a short timeframe. This means that the money we invest in the DCA strategy is cold money that we don't use for our living needs. So in this case we can carefully manage at every stage to make a purchase. Apart from that, we do have a high commitment to hold on in the long term, let's say it will be around 10 years.

.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Dictator69

View Profile
August 24, 2023, 08:59:12 PM

I have done all of the things that I talk about, and sure many times they are going to be tailored to the specific situation and depending on what stage someone is in his/her bitcoin journey, so if you are in an accumulation phase, you could be in early, middle or late accumulation which might affect how you might prioritize, and then perhaps if you have been accumulating bitcoin for a while, you may transition to a kind of maintenance and/or liquidation stage..
Ok I got that, and I did not get into accumulation yet as I shared my situation before with you on this same thread. Well, but if I compare the mindset I had back when I was new here with the mindset I have now, I am more confident about BTC thanks to this thread and specifically to you. (not buttering as members started to criticize in humorous way in WO). And I will start to accumulate BTC soon and I will share the stats with you. But to clarify, I got your point here and from maintenance, did you mean rebalancing? Like first you did aggressive accumulation and then you started to maintain your portfolio is that what you mean by maintenance.

Another thing is that many normal people (normies) might not be able to go from BTC accumulation to maintenance as quickly unless they might already be starting with an investment portfolio, and I had already largely had been building my investment portfolio for more than 20 years prior to getting into bitcoin, so it was likely easier to reach accumulation targets based on those kinds of considerations.. and it is my sense that many normies still might need to take nearly 20 years to build their BTC holdings,
Well, if those normies are taught by a person who have the 20 years of experience then those normies also hold the 20 years of experience. Well, technically that's not possible and I know that but metaphorically a normie who taught or got lessoned from a person having 20 years of experience at least say that I have that much experience but still I am really impressed that you are into investment even before BTC and I think that's why you must came to know about BTC too.

PS: Well, if you do not mind how old are you? You can ignore the question too and I really wanted to know how you got into BTC.
Yes.  I repeat myself sometimes.
I mean you are talking with many members on different topics and writing that long replies to everyone, even if forget sometimes what I have said to someone so before reading the replies I try to read mine first. Hehe. TBH, I have short memory and I can bet you don't have that problem. And that's a good thing. But still repeating is Ok for me and I appreciate as you could also ignore it as it could save you time but repeated it.
adultcrypto

Activity: 308
Merit: 241

View Profile
August 24, 2023, 10:13:47 PM

In most cases people loss out the opportunity to buy Bitcoin even when the market had given them opportunity to buy, though with the Bitcoin price movement consolidating nothing is certain for sure but one could actually utilize the opportunity by structuring his portfolio in such a way that if for example you have $20k total on your portfolio you could actually invest half of it at this current price because you have no idea if Bitcoin will continue the dipp or not so with this you no that even if the market doesn't get to your targeted point and move back up your are likely covered with the first entry instead of losing out completely. So These diagram display the need to strategize on taking advantage of the dip and fly to the moon in the near future.
Inflation is really eating up people's savings globally. Before now, the supposed smart guys who have huge cashflows invested in fixed deposits and treasury bills. It is really depressing for many of them who just realised that even though their investment increased in number, it has actually depreciated in value by more than 50%.

One motivation I have about bitcoin is that it takes care of this inflation and provide us a way of escape. Those of us who have our savings in bitcoin have been proven to be the smart guys indeed. I have the optimism that bitcoin will grow soon so instead of loosing 50% of the value of my asset, I will even be gaining considerable percentage of my money.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2023, 10:54:19 PM
Merited by Dictator69 (1)

Some of those pro-lump sum arguments presume too much about people having lump sums that are available and able to be invested at strategic times, ...........
Got the point and of course when I used that tool (calculator to calculate DCA) I select the frequency first to week and investment to $10 only and I was on lose according to that tool when I set the start date of 2 months ago. Well, the point is the frequency of investing in BTC by doing DCA do provide us the benefit that if we do not have enough funds to invest all at once.

Means, let's say if the investment become $5k by doing DCA and if we have enough funds at the start then we might have preferred to do Lump Sum. But as I do not have that much money at the start so I should prefer to enter the market with less too. I totally got the point here too. And also, I think one might not like DCA while other could.

Well I went back to that link that you originally provided

which is this one:   https://dcacryptocalculator.com/bitcoin  **

**By the way, To get quick examples of how DCA might play out over several years, I had been using https://dcabtc.com/ and it allows comparisons of bitcoin to gold and equities... but it ONLY allows selecting 9 years at a time (can pick the start date in order to go back further than 9 years and so accumulation period would therefore select the end date but cannot do less than 6 months or even to custom select dates on both ends), so I might start to use your website a bit more, especially if I am wanting to select a time period that is more than 9 years or if there might something that dcabtc.com is not allowing me to do.

I wanted to try to figure it out in regards to when the lump sum investments would have had been made, and surely if you assume too much about when the lump sum investments would have been made, then you might not be reflecting reality both in terms of when cash might be available to anyone and then strategically when the person might choose to deploy the cash that he does end up having available.

Part of the reason that I like to provide some kind of a hypothetical that would involve a newbie to bitcoin, we try to deal with the facts in which that newbie is just coming into bitcoin, and whatever his situation is at the time is what it is, and sure, he might be able to go through his finances and figure out exactly how much he is able to invest into bitcoin, or he might have to go through his finances and figure it out.. which might be a bit of a moving target based upon how his conviction (or lack thereof) might end up changing with the passage of time.

So I am not sure if we can use you as an example Dictator69 because your timeline is so damned short.. I mean you ONLY have a few months registered on the forum.. and so maybe we should make up some other hypothetical that has a longer timeline.... even though that has its own problems in terms of already knowing what the price ended up doing.

O.k.  Fuck it.  Let's do a tiny bit of a compromise scenario that will hopefully allow me to attempt to make the point regarding times in which lump sum amounts might come available.  So let's just randomly pick the last year, and suggest that our hypothetical bitcoiner has been into bitcoin for 1 year.

Let's say that he begun investing in bitcoin last August or perhaps September 1st, to make it a nice round number (date).  He started investing in such a way that he had been studying BTC for several weeks maybe even several months, but at some point near the middle of August, he decided that he had to spend some time figuring out his finances so that he would know how much that he could invest into bitcoin, and maybe he even created a one year plan.  Surely whatever he figured out in August is not going to be the end game, because when he started investing into BTC, part of his decision involved that he would continue to study it while he was investing into it, but the very first thing that he did was to figure out his own situation so that he could get started as soon as possible... setting up accounts or establishing some ways to source his coins (and maybe even looking into other ways, but at least has a place to start to buy regularly).

Let's say that this guy is in his mid to late 20s, so he had already been working for several years and he had some savings.. Not a lot, but he had saved up around $6k that he would like to put all of it into bitcoin (over the next year-ish), he has an income that is around $18k per year, so he has already saved right around 1/3 of his annual income.. which maybe we can imply that he is able to extract around 10% to 15% of his income to make it investable, and he already has somewhat of an emergency fund in place but he knows that he has to add more to it.. because it is only about 1-2 months of his income and he figures he should have more than that in his emergency fund.. all great so far... so if he has between 10% ($1,800/yr or $150/mo  $34.62/wk)  and 15% ($2,700 yr  or $225/mo, or $51.92/wk) then he likely has a cash flow expectation and he has a lump sum that he can choose how to allocate.

He might also already know that about two times per year, he has extra money that comes to him.. perhaps around $1,000 each time (maybe in December and in June), and if he is very strict with his finances, he could inject all of that extra money $1k each time into BTC.

So now I gave enough of the parameters of the hypothetical so there are various ways that we could plug all of them in.

With the initial $6k that he already has, he could choose to lump sum $2k right away and then plug $2k into DCA ($166/mo or $38.46/week) and/or and another $2k into buying on dips (has to figure out the increments and or the spread for that.. maybe $100 for 20 orders every $500 will get him down to a dip of $10k, and of course, he could spread it out more and then just add value to the buying on dip amounts from time to time as money comes in.. but he can project out his whole year for the buying on dips allocation based on what he has figured out for his budget of how much he can put into it )...

When the $1k lump sums come in, he could divide those into three also.. maybe each time he would consider them as 6 months so he has $333.33 lump sum $333.33 ($55 per month or $12.82 per week).

So he could employ these and budget them in advance and then if the numbers end up changing (such as his bonus are slightly different) or some other things change, then he can make adjustments along the way, but he could start right away with amounts that account for each of these categories, and the amount in his budget weekly ends up getting divided into DCA and a buying on dips reserve. and he had to figure out how much to allocate to each.. but he has all the numbers figure out which would be a weekly amount of about $85.90 ($34.62 + $38.46+$12.82) for the 10% scenario, and $103.20 ($51.92 + $38.46+$12.82) for the 15% scenario.  He could do 50/50 for the DCA versus buying on dip, or he could do some other amount that he might consider to be more preferable.  I would probably suggest 50/50 to get used to it and get a feel for it, and then adjust later accordance with how it is working.

Ok. when I started to type this, I was thinking that it was going to be easy, but I can see how there might be some difficulties to figure out the numbers because there are several calculations, and many times we might end up getting  ballpark calculations of these numbers, but if we overly budget how much we put into BTC (and surely if we get distracted into shitcoins) then we might not have enough money to cover everything and we may well end up screwing up our budget because we failed to adequately plan for emergency expenses and we were attempting to be too aggressive with the amounts that we were putting into BTC.

[edited out]
Ok I got that, and I did not get into accumulation yet as I shared my situation before with you on this same thread. Well, but if I compare the mindset I had back when I was new here with the mindset I have now, I am more confident about BTC thanks to this thread and specifically to you. (not buttering as members started to criticize in humorous way in WO).

Well, don't be blaming me either when you end up losing all of your money.   Tongue Tongue

And I will start to accumulate BTC soon and I will share the stats with you. But to clarify, I got your point here and from maintenance, did you mean rebalancing?

I don't really believe in that rebalancing mumbo jumbo, but of course, there are going to be times in which you might have to figure out the extent to which you have investments in other things besides bitcoin and cash.

Sure you could start with bitcoin and cash, but if you get to 1, 2, 3, 5x your income, you might start to consider whether you might be overexposed to ONLY bitcoin, and that is your own judgement.

When I came into BTC, I already had a pretty decently well diversified portfolio that included at least property, stocks and bonds, and I did not have too many commodities, and I figured that my getting into bitcoin was going to serve some kind of variation of that part (I thought of bitcoin as a kind of gold at the time I got in and/or a substitute for gold, so I never did buy any gold or gold exposure).

So in some sense all of my investments, before I got into bitcoin were  already enough to sustain me if BTC went to zero. so each person has to decide for himself/herself the extent to which s/he needs to own other things.

When I first started investing I did not diversify, so it can sometimes take 10 years or more before you are getting to a level in which you might feel that you need to diversify.  Actually my last charts in this post shows how I have just tended to allow BTC to ride and I did not reallocate out of bitcoin... so as of mid 2022, according to that chart, I was 63% bitcoin.. so it shows going from 0% bitcoin to higher amounts and a lot of that is mostly just changes in the prices of the assets, and bitcoin has grown better than my other investments which have largely had very modest growths and I did not really change those other investments very much.

Like first you did aggressive accumulation and then you started to maintain your portfolio is that what you mean by maintenance.

Well the aggressiveness is to first try to establish a position in bitcoin, so for the first 6 months I gave myself a budget and tried to comply with the budget, and the after the first 6 months, I extended another 6 months, so by the end of the second six months, I had pretty much spent both of those budgets and then at that point I tried to reassess where I was, and that would have been around 10% of my quasi-liquid investment portfolio was in bitcoin, so I figured by that time I had met my target - even though when I started in late 2013, I was not aiming to get to 10%, but by the end of 2014, I figured out that I reached a point in which I thought that I largely had enough BTC, which was the 10% idea but it did not stop me from continuing to accumulate. even though I think that by late 2014 and even all the way to late 2016 I was in a kind of fuzzy transition between accumulation and maintenance.. which I largely consider myself to have had been in maintenance since  - even though there is still some ambiguity because I still accumulate, but it is not really much of a overall mindset of mine and I tend to think of myself in various forms of maintenance since late 2014 being weaker maintenance and then by late 2016 a stronger kind of maintenance... I suppose that they are each categories of maintenance but some differing kinds of ways to deal with it in terms of how I was engaging in the maintenance.. which also has to do with living life.. and figuring out where to get money from.. and to largely let the bitcoin continue to mostly ride.

Another thing is that many normal people (normies) might not be able to go from BTC accumulation to maintenance as quickly unless they might already be starting with an investment portfolio, and I had already largely had been building my investment portfolio for more than 20 years prior to getting into bitcoin, so it was likely easier to reach accumulation targets based on those kinds of considerations.. and it is my sense that many normies still might need to take nearly 20 years to build their BTC holdings,
Well, if those normies are taught by a person who have the 20 years of experience then those normies also hold the 20 years of experience. Well, technically that's not possible and I know that but metaphorically a normie who taught or got lessoned from a person having 20 years of experience at least say that I have that much experience but still I am really impressed that you are into investment even before BTC and I think that's why you must came to know about BTC too.

I came to BTC because I was already looking for something to supplement the stuff that I already had, and one of the things was that I had a 401k and I wanted to try to invest into something that within about 10 or 15 years might be able to be of equal size as the 401k that I already had..and at the same time a kind of hedge against the dollar a kind of gold.. and so that brought me to bitcoin and instead of taking 10-15 years to match my 401k, it took only a few years to do that.. probably by mid-2017-ish

I mean you are talking with many members on different topics and writing that long replies to everyone,

There might be some needs for me to read back through some of my most recent posts to fix some ambiguities.. but I don't tend to edit anything beyond a few hours out or maybe if someone merits a post and then I see the post and as I am reading through it, I see some things that are needing to be clarified... usually trying not to change anything I said but sometimes I find that what I wrote is not very clear when I read back through it.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Ojima-ojo

Activity: 700
Merit: 429

View Profile
August 24, 2023, 11:57:06 PM

There might be some needs for me to read back through some of my most recent posts to fix some ambiguities.. but I don't tend to edit anything beyond a few hours out or maybe if someone merits a post and then I see the post and as I am reading through it, I see some things that are needing to be clarified... usually trying not to change anything I said but sometimes I find that what I wrote is not very clear when I read back through it.
Not only you but everyone of us need to lay back a d take a read through some of our posts in the history to see where we need to make so.e adjustment and editing a few things to make it fit into current discussions and realities.

Some bitcoin investors have missed the last market sell-off where Bitcoin gave an around $4,000 or so discount from its previous price in the last few weeks, that was another opportunity to buy more and wait for the dip to be over to be at an advantage when the price will move above it present price., most of them that failed to take advantage of the market to buy more are now waiting and anticipating for the price to fall further for them to buy in.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBITCRYPTO
FUTURES
[
1,000x
LEVERAGE
][
COMPETITIVE
FEES
][
INSTANT
EXECUTION
]██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
TRADE NOW
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Dictator69

View Profile
August 25, 2023, 10:07:25 AM

We need to consider that we will not always have a large amount of funds ready at once, so in this case DCA is possible. Although not all of them are like that, most people, including me, are always constrained by financial conditions and it will be very difficult if they buy btc in large quantities at once so by thinking about things like this, I prefer to make gradual purchases with the time and amount I want beforehand.
This is in order to maintain our consistency in making purchases and in order to maintain the financial condition that we have from income to remain stable and the purchase of bitcoin does not affect the expenses we make every month.
Got the point here, As JJG also tried to emphasize the same thing before, and I got this point from there already but thanks to you too as conditions are not same for everyone as I do not know what the conditions of your country are but the conditions here in mine are too bad. Political leader are next lever corrupt people and those who raise voice are put in jail even our Ex-Prime Minister is put in jail and those who went against that case also put in the jail. TBH things in my country got out of hand. But still, the party which put all of them in jail are now enjoying in UK.

Enjoying their time with girls, point is they could do whatever they want but at least they should provide a voice of freedom. Not to mention media is their pet. Well, I think things are going off topic here as I do not know if I should discuss that much about my country. But my main point was to say things are not easy here and as JJG was saying he has done aggressive accumulation back in 2014 and 2015 and If I was aware of the BTC at that time then it would be easy to accumulate them in compared to this time.

Overall, I did get the point that Lump Sum need big money while DCA could be done using small amounts too, but DCA took long time to book profit while in Lump Sum we could also make instant or quick profit in shorter time.
FinePoine0

Activity: 378
Merit: 115

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 25, 2023, 12:01:23 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), Essential10 (1)

How to use the BTC DCA tool
How to use this Bitcoin Investment Calculator
To use this BTC DCA crypto calculator, you will need to follow these steps:

1st point:
Input your investment information: The first step in using this BTC DCA crypto calculator is to input information about your investment goals. This will typically include the amount of money that you want to invest in Bitcoin, as well as the frequency of your investments (such as weekly or monthly). This BTC DCA crypto calculator may also allow you to input additional information, such as your risk tolerance or the length of your investment horizon.

2nd point :
Generate your DCA plan: After you have input your investment information, this BTC DCA crypto calculator will generate a plan for how to invest using the DCA strategy. This plan will typically include the amount of money that you should invest each period, as well as the total amount of money that you will have invested after a certain number of periods.

3rd Point : Use the plan to guide your investments: Once you have generated your DCA plan, you can use it as a guide for your Bitcoin investments. You can use the plan to determine the amount of money that you should invest each period, and track your progress over time to ensure that you are staying on track with your investment goals.

4th point:  Monitor your Bitcoin investment: In addition to using your DCA plan to guide your investments, it is also important to regularly monitor the performance of your Bitcoin investment. You can do this by accessing your investment account and viewing your Bitcoin balance and trade history. This will allow you to track the value of your investment and see how it is performing over time.

Source link

Salahmu

Activity: 392
Merit: 269

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2023, 03:01:02 PM

When I came into BTC, I already had a pretty decently well diversified portfolio that included at least property, stocks and bonds, and I did not have too many commodities, and I figured that my getting into bitcoin was going to serve some kind of variation of that part (I thought of bitcoin as a kind of gold at the time I got in and/or a substitute for gold, so I never did buy any gold or gold exposure).

Similar to you I have an assets but I felt the need to diversify my portfolio to investing on Bitcoin because I believe that in the future through the potential of Bitcoin I will surely be happy.

So in some sense all of my investments, before I got into bitcoin were  already enough to sustain me if BTC went to zero. so each person has to decide for himself/herself the extent to which s/he needs to own other things.

When I first started investing I did not diversify, so it can sometimes take 10 years or more before you are getting to a level in which you might feel that you need to diversify.  Actually my last charts in this post shows how I have just tended to allow BTC to ride and I did not reallocate out of bitcoin... so as of mid 2022, according to that chart, I was 63% bitcoin.. so it shows going from 0% bitcoin to higher amounts and a lot of that is mostly just changes in the prices of the assets, and bitcoin has grown better than my other investments which have largely had very modest growths and I did not really change those other investments very much.

It was actually quite a smart decision you made going for Bitcoin because sometimes in life focussing on a particular thing to me is not always advice able, in my country were I came from there is a native saying that putting all your eggs in one basket is very risky because if it fell down all the eggs will be broken and one will be left with nothing, so is always good to have other source of investment even if you have a stable portfolio there will come a time when the need to extend investment will come, so reffering back to my school days when they thought us a theory called Theory of Need Authored by Abraham Maslow, he stated that no matter how stable someone is the need to diversify your portfolio to some other things will always come.

Duelbits
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
DICE 
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
MINES 
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
PLINKO 
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Odohu

Activity: 364
Merit: 338

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2023, 03:15:36 PM
Merited by rachael9385 (4), JayJuanGee (1)

Well I went back to that link that you originally provided

which is this one:   https://dcacryptocalculator.com/bitcoin  **

**By the way, To get quick examples of how DCA might play out over several years, I had been using https://dcabtc.com/ and it allows comparisons of bitcoin to gold and equities... but it ONLY allows selecting 9 years at a time (can pick the start date in order to go back further than 9 years and so accumulation period would therefore select the end date but cannot do less than 6 months or even to custom select dates on both ends), so I might start to use your website a bit more, especially if I am wanting to select a time period that is more than 9 years or if there might something that dcabtc.com is not allowing me to do.
You have extensively explained DCA approach right from when I started following you. I must say the knowledge you shared are highly appreciated. I am happy to have learnt that wonderful concept that solved my emotional obstacle and gives me the calmness and confidence I needed to survive in this journey. Seeing my portfolio rise in quantity on a pee-determined rate that does not care about the market condition is something I am excited as I know for sure the future looks bright for Bitcoin.

One aspect I have not figured out is if it is possible for someone that does not have regular cash-flow pattern to apply DCA. By this, how will one be able to execute a time-bound DCA when it can happen that some months or weeks you will have huge cash flows while in some months or weeks you will not experience same. I am speaking from the angle of an entrepreneur that have money based on when he is able to secure a contract. You there are chances you cannot completely know when you will hit a jackpot. 

Let's say that he begun investing in bitcoin last August or perhaps September 1st, to make it a nice round number (date).  He started investing in such a way that he had been studying BTC for several weeks maybe even several months, but at some point near the middle of August, he decided that he had to spend some time figuring out his finances so that he would know how much that he could invest into bitcoin, and maybe he even created a one year plan.  Surely whatever he figured out in August is not going to be the end game, because when he started investing into BTC, part of his decision involved that he would continue to study it while he was investing into it, but the very first thing that he did was to figure out his own situation so that he could get started as soon as possible... setting up accounts or establishing some ways to source his coins (and maybe even looking into other ways, but at least has a place to start to buy regularly).

Let's say that this guy is in his mid to late 20s, so he had already been working for several years and he had some savings.. Not a lot, but he had saved up around $6k that he would like to put all of it into bitcoin (over the next year-ish), he has an income that is around $18k per year, so he has already saved right around 1/3 of his annual income.. which maybe we can imply that he is able to extract around 10% to 15% of his income to make it investable, and he already has somewhat of an emergency fund in place but he knows that he has to add more to it.. because it is only about 1-2 months of his income and he figures he should have more than that in his emergency fund.. all great so far... so if he has between 10% ($1,800/yr or $150/mo  $34.62/wk)  and 15% ($2,700 yr  or $225/mo, or $51.92/wk) then he likely has a cash flow expectation and he has a lump sum that he can choose how to allocate.

He might also already know that about two times per year, he has extra money that comes to him.. perhaps around $1,000 each time (maybe in December and in June), and if he is very strict with his finances, he could inject all of that extra money $1k each time into BTC.

So now I gave enough of the parameters of the hypothetical so there are various ways that we could plug all of them in.

With the initial $6k that he already has, he could choose to lump sum $2k right away and then plug $2k into DCA ($166/mo or $38.46/week) and/or and another $2k into buying on dips (has to figure out the increments and or the spread for that.. maybe $100 for 20 orders every $500 will get him down to a dip of $10k, and of course, he could spread it out more and then just add value to the buying on dip amounts from time to time as money comes in.. but he can project out his whole year for the buying on dips allocation based on what he has figured out for his budget of how much he can put into it )...

When the $1k lump sums come in, he could divide those into three also.. maybe each time he would consider them as 6 months so he has $333.33 lump sum $333.33 ($55 per month or $12.82 per week).

So he could employ these and budget them in advance and then if the numbers end up changing (such as his bonus are slightly different) or some other things change, then he can make adjustments along the way, but he could start right away with amounts that account for each of these categories, and the amount in his budget weekly ends up getting divided into DCA and a buying on dips reserve. and he had to figure out how much to allocate to each.. but he has all the numbers figure out which would be a weekly amount of about $85.90 ($34.62 + $38.46+$12.82) for the 10% scenario, and $103.20 ($51.92 + $38.46+$12.82) for the 15% scenario.  He could do 50/50 for the DCA versus buying on dip, or he could do some other amount that he might consider to be more preferable.  I would probably suggest 50/50 to get used to it and get a feel for it, and then adjust later accordance with how it is working.
Reading down more into your post, it seems you already cleared some part of my inquiries above even though there are still grey areas. I don't know if you are suggesting that a person with could just DCA any lump sum he receive if he does not have a  cash flow that is does not have a regular pattern. However, if this is not what you are implying, then I would still love to know the best method of approach for someone whose cash flow does not follow a regular pattern; how to apply DCA for such a case.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Dimitri94

Activity: 742
Merit: 157

View Profile
August 25, 2023, 05:11:03 PM

Similar to you I have an assets but I felt the need to diversify my portfolio to investing on Bitcoin because I believe that in the future through the potential of Bitcoin I will surely be happy.

It was actually quite a smart decision you made going for Bitcoin because sometimes in life focussing on a particular thing to me is not always advice able, in my country were I came from there is a native saying that putting all your eggs in one basket is very risky because if it fell down all the eggs will be broken and one will be left with nothing, so is always good to have other source of investment even if you have a stable portfolio there will come a time when the need to extend investment will come, so reffering back to my school days when they thought us a theory called Theory of Need Authored by Abraham Maslow, he stated that no matter how stable someone is the need to diversify your portfolio to some other things will always come.
In the investment platform portfolio diversification becomes vital role when an individual faces substantial adversity. When someone experiences a major obstruction, they can realize the importance of diversification. In businesses heavily rely on a single asset any of the moment can face bad consequence, Many may not have the strength to control themselves at that moment. However, if I allocate my assets in different baskets, even if one basket is destroyed, my other basket will support me that's why it's prudent to consider diversification.

From this perspective, @JayJuanGee certainly made a wise decision. He diversified a portion of his assets in Bitcoin. This diversification strategy not only help him to stabilized his assets also he is benefited.

When I first started investing I did not diversify, so it can sometimes take 10 years or more before you are getting to a level in which you might feel that you need to diversify.
Through you, we are getting to know this matter earlier in that case we don't need 10 years. Considering this aspect, we can certainly be ahead in the matter of diversification. I have seen several businesses owner who are making decent money from their profitable businesses but are investing their little money in bitcoin. It is no problem to realize that they are diversifying their portfolio.
Aanuoluwatofunmi

Activity: 574
Merit: 409

View Profile
August 25, 2023, 05:41:24 PM

Like in some cases we have seen whereby some came into the discovery of this platform while they were busy hunting after other bounties and altcoins from different platforms and they got to see a recommendation to this forum, it doesn't end there, we have some that have started with altcoins in cryptocurrency and have nothing in bitcoin being invested on, but later they got to realize the way forward along the line and make their decisions right back to the bitcoin network, everyone has a little way of how they can present their own story on how they started from, it something i know that going through JayJuanGee own side of the story is alot of things to write about and others could learn from, we get inspirations sometimes from the experience our leaders and those ahead of us had past and becomes an inspiration for us.
Onyeeze

Activity: 490
Merit: 151

View Profile
August 25, 2023, 10:16:44 PM

When buying bitcoin you have a target and you will not make a mistake not to utililize any opportunity seen in bitcoin market, because everyone who is bitcoin billionaire today purchased bitcoin years back when bitcoin price was very low in price and hold until the price increases before they can sell their bitcoin. Everyone good investors always utililize any steps made by bitcoin. Buying at dip is where profit will be easily make and if you buy higher and sell when the price of bitcoin is low you will lose, so it's good to buy when the price is low and sell higher so that profit will be made and for you to have such you have to hold your coin and be waiting for a bullrun

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2023, 05:34:07 AM
Merited by dbshck (4), Odohu (1)

Not only you but everyone of us need to lay back a d take a read through some of our posts in the history to see where we need to make so.e adjustment and editing a few things to make it fit into current discussions and realities.

Surely, I would not want to "make it current," and I am only attempting to fix it for the time in which I wrote it not for anything that might have happened or might not have had happened... that would be really bad, in my thinking to be engaging with those kinds of edits.

In my JJG investment ideas thread, I have been update those 4-5 opening posts with current information, and then I try to show the edits.. but it is getting a bit unwieldy.. like as if I almost need to start a new thread rather than updating those 4-5 OPs.

Some bitcoin investors have missed the last market sell-off where Bitcoin gave an around $4,000 or so discount from its previous price in the last few weeks, that was another opportunity to buy more and wait for the dip to be over to be at an advantage when the price will move above it present price., most of them that failed to take advantage of the market to buy more are now waiting and anticipating for the price to fall further for them to buy in.

I would not change any post to change my predictions.. those for sure will just stay, even if I am wrong.. but surely sometimes (or maybe even frequently) it might be a bit ambiguous what someone might be predicting.. but I would not not even feel right to go back and change any of those kinds of posts that are not written clearly.. especially once a few days have past, and I almost never substantively edit a post once someone responds to it.. unless I add an edit comment at the bottom, which may or may not say when the edit was carried out by me.

[edited out]
One aspect I have not figured out is if it is possible for someone that does not have regular cash-flow pattern to apply DCA. By this, how will one be able to execute a time-bound DCA when it can happen that some months or weeks you will have huge cash flows while in some months or weeks you will not experience same. I am speaking from the angle of an entrepreneur that have money based on when he is able to secure a contract. You there are chances you cannot completely know when you will hit a jackpot. 

I know that I have already attempted to explain this several times, and my tendency is to project out my cashflow for 6 months minimum when I was younger and financial aspects of my life were more simple or maybe up to 2 years if there are several complicated things going on in terms of variation of expenses and/or incoming cash.

If you look at your history and you also try to project the future maybe you might be able to get some kind of a solid grasp that your income might vary between $700 per month (worse case scenario) and $4,000 per month best case scenario, and the vast majority of the time you are receiving around $1,500 per month give or take $300.  You could project it all out based on the worse case scenario, but probably it would be more realistic to project it out based on the lower end of the general pattern, which would be $1,200 per month, and then perhaps you might just keep some extra reserves for times when the cash flow is less than $1,200... So if you also know that the amounts of your ability to invest into BTC are going to be vary based on these, then you should be figuring out your minimum amounts to DCA based on your projection of minimums.. whether you choose that to be the $1,200 or the $700 and then of course, you would then be able to add the higher amounts in a kind of manual basis.. or maybe you wait for the whole month to pass before you conclude how much extra that you have, which could be using the extra amounts from prior months to be budgeted into the subsequent month rather than in the month as they are happening, which has a kind of net effect of your maintaining a higher cash reserves.

There is quite a bit of flexibility in these practices, but I think that one of the main keys is trying to figure out ways to calculate based on minimums rather than mids or even averages, which seems more likely to get you into trouble and stressing during the points when you end up overdoing it when you calculate in overly optimistic ways.. related to your cash coming in and your expenses.

[edited out]
Reading down more into your post, it seems you already cleared some part of my inquiries above even though there are still grey areas. I don't know if you are suggesting that a person with could just DCA any lump sum he receive if he does not have a  cash flow that is does not have a regular pattern. However, if this is not what you are implying, then I would still love to know the best method of approach for someone whose cash flow does not follow a regular pattern; how to apply DCA for such a case.

I was trying to give several classes of cash that comes in, which includes regular cashflow and then variations on the investment formulas and also presuming that you mostly knew what the minimum amounts of the twice a year bonuses... so of course, the more that your values are not known, then the more that you should be attempting to plug in the more conservative estimates into your regular practices and then maybe manually adding the additional amounts after you see them come in rather than your projecting of them... so there could be some categories that range between $0 and $4k for any particular month, and in those cases, you might need to be more cautious and use the $0, even though you might keep some extra cash reserves and count the $0 in a kind of conservative way that you know that you can cover based on your having had kept a cash reserves, and whether you might feel comfortable counting the $0 as $200, $500, or som e other amount, including a higher amount is within your discretion regarding how much you are trying to make sure that you do not over do your estimates in such a way that you cause yourself to have to cash out of bitcoin at a time that is not of your 100% own choosing...

It would be a tragedy if you are figuring everything out and doing everything right, but then not realize that you  are gambling because there might be no way for you to recover from some kinds of cashflow events that could end up lasting for 4-6 months and you had calculated the worse case scenario as only 1-3 months.

......From this perspective, @JayJuanGee certainly made a wise decision. He diversified a portion of his assets in Bitcoin. This diversification strategy not only help him to stabilized his assets also he is benefited.

Just to make it clear, we are not referring to diversification into shitcoins, but instead into various other traditional asset classes such as property, equities, bonds, commodities and cash (or cash equivalents).

Other wise I think that you are correct Dimitri94.. including that someone like me was able to afford to be more aggressive in terms of how much I put into bitcoin because having those other assets was a kind of a back up security blanket. and even the diversification is not 100% going to protect you from volatility and/or even liquidation events, but there is some protections in having other kinds of investments, especially during periods of price crashes that might end up disproportionately happening in one of the assets (such as bitcoin going down 80% or so while the other investments might not have gone down even close to that much.

When I first started investing I did not diversify, so it can sometimes take 10 years or more before you are getting to a level in which you might feel that you need to diversify.
Through you, we are getting to know this matter earlier in that case we don't need 10 years.

You do not need to diversify when you first start investing, because you will likely end up diluting your investment, and it may well take way more than 10 years to get to a point where diversification starts making sense. 

When I say that I did not diversify in the beginning, I am talking about the 80s and 90s. I probably started diversifying in the late 90s and more so in the 2000s,, so by the time I got to bitcoin in late 2013, I already had more than 25 years investing, and was diversifying in the 15 years or so preceding my getting into bitcoin, and bitcoin ended up adding one more thing that I had speculated to not to be correlated very closely to other kinds of investments that I had at the time that I got into bitcoin.

So for sure there is quite a bit of discretion regarding when diversification might start to make sense, and I had suggested that maybe you need a certain amount whether that is $10k or $20k or maybe 50% of your annual income or maybe even 1-2x your annual income.  People are not going to decide at the same points, and surely I believe that newbies are mislead into stupid ideas about the value of diversify when they hardly have shit in their investment portfolios, and they would be better off just focusing on one, two or three things (and maybe one of those is cash and another is bitcoin), and then once they get to 50%, 100% or 200% or whatever threshold that they believe makes sense, for them, then at that point, they might start to see some value in diversifying beyond those 2-3 initial categories that they choose, and again I am not referring to diversifying into shitcoins, even though some people might want to get into shitcoins, and I would caution them to not be investing more than 10% of the size of their bitcoin holdings into shitcoins... but hey people are going to do what they are going to do because shitcoins might be the only thing that they believe that they can afford and they also might think that their $10 per week needs to be diversified.. which is just dumb on the face of it to be fucking around with shitcoins when you already have a small amount, and even $100 per wek is not very much to be fucking around with shitcoins or diversifying in any other way besides bitcoin and cash.

Considering this aspect, we can certainly be ahead in the matter of diversification.

I think that you just confused the idea to suggest that diversifying is necessary for beginners, when it likely is not... It's a dumb shitcoin talking point... that is designed to contribute towards either loss of money or dilution of bitcoin investment based on distractions.

I have seen several businesses owner who are making decent money from their profitable businesses but are investing their little money in bitcoin. It is no problem to realize that they are diversifying their portfolio.

They may or may not be diversifying depending on how much extra discretionary cash that they have to invest into things beyond bitcoin.. Businesses sometimes do need to invest in things that might be outside of their kind of business, so that might be adding too much off-topic complications to what we might be trying to discuss related to bitcoin building and accumulating.

When buying bitcoin you have a target and you will not make a mistake not to utililize any opportunity seen in bitcoin market, because everyone who is bitcoin billionaire today purchased bitcoin years back when bitcoin price was very low in price and hold until the price increases before they can sell their bitcoin. Everyone good investors always utililize any steps made by bitcoin. Buying at dip is where profit will be easily make and if you buy higher and sell when the price of bitcoin is low you will lose, so it's good to buy when the price is low and sell higher so that profit will be made and for you to have such you have to hold your coin and be waiting for a bullrun

We are not talking about selling here..except incidentally.

We are focusing on accumulation techniques and long term buying, not selling...even though I know that incidentally we are kind of crossing into a bit of selling discussion, but selling is not the thrust of what this thread is about..

Pages: « 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... 400 »
  Print  

Jump to: