Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:11:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Say NO to GMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 8905 times)
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013

K-ing®

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:05:49 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2014, 05:24:21 AM by mladen00

What are GMOs?
GMOs, or “genetically modified organisms,” are plants or animals that have been genetically engineered with DNA from bacteria,
 viruses or other plants and animals. These experimental combinations of genes from different species cannot occur in nature
 or in traditional crossbreeding.
Virtually all commercial GMOs are engineered to withstand direct application of herbicide and/or to produce an insecticide.
 Despite biotech industry promises, none of the GMO traits currently on the market offer increased yield, drought tolerance,
 enhanced nutrition, or any other consumer benefit.
Meanwhile, a growing body of evidence connects GMOs with health problems, environmental damage and violation of farmers’ and consumers’ rights.

Are GMOs safe?
Most developed nations do not consider GMOs to be safe. In more than 60 countries around the world, including Australia, Japan,
 and all of the countries in the European Union, there are significant restrictions or outright bans on the production and sale of GMOs.
 In the U.S., the government has approved GMOs based on studies conducted by the same corporations that created them and profit
 from their sale. Increasingly, Americans are taking matters into their own hands and choosing to opt out of the GMO experiment.

Are GMOs labeled?
Unfortunately, even though polls consistently show that a significant majority of Americans want to know if the food they’re purchasing
 contains GMOs, the powerful biotech lobby has succeeded in keeping this information from the public. In the absence of mandatory labeling,
 the Non-GMO Project was created to give consumers the informed choice they deserve.
Where does the Non-GMO Project come in?
The Non-GMO Project is a non-profit organization with a mission of protecting the non-GMO food supply and giving consumers an informed
 choice. We offer North America’s ONLY third party verification for products produced according to rigorous best practices for GMO avoidance
(for more info, click here). Our strategy is to empower consumers to make change through the marketplace. If people stop buying GMOs,
companies will stop using them and farmers will stop growing them.

List of some products/brands with GMO's:
1 – “Snickers”, “Twix”,  “M & M”, “Milky Way”..........
2 – “Campbell” soups and other
3 –“Uncle Bens”
4 – Tea “Lipton”
5 – "Ferrero" - everything... Roche, Kinder surprise, Kinder    Bueno.....
6 – “Kraft” everything MILKA!!!, Jacob, Toblerone
7 – “Nestle” everything
8 –   Wrigley,  Juicy Fruit, Wrigley's Spearmint, Altoids, Orbit,Extra, Starburst, Doublemint, Skittles, Freedent Airwaves,     Winterfresh
9 – “Coca–Cola”, “Sprite”, “Fanta”, “Pepsi–Cola” , 7up, Gatorade......
10 – “Knorr” everything
11 – “Hellman ‘s” everything
12 – “Danone” everything
13 – “Heinz” everithing
14 – “Hipp” everithing for babies too!!!!
15 – “OREO”
16 – “McDonalds”  
17 – “Kellogg”
18 – “Pringles P&G” chips
19 – “President's choice ” everything
20 – ”Abbot Labs Similac” (babies food)

more info:
http://www.nongmoproject.org/

pls donate:
http://www.nongmoproject.org/take-action/donate/
or
BTC:  13z98nGMexfE6B9iXAFZSnp3upbr1TgzJT   (there will be BTC donate option on their site)

or donate to yours local ANTI GMO organization

or just write about it

IOTA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:48:09 AM

Okay. No, diabetes sufferer, you can't have your insulin, because it comes from genetically modified bacteria because there's not enough genuine human insulin to meet demand, so now you're going to die horribly. Am I doing it right?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:57:41 AM

Okay. No, diabetes sufferer, you can't have your insulin, because it comes from genetically modified bacteria because there's not enough genuine human insulin to meet demand, so now you're going to die horribly. Am I doing it right?

I bet you are from USA

edit:

Australia.... USA toy puppet

Insulin=GMO food???   are you ok? do you have elementary school?

IOTA
CJGoodings

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:03:35 AM
Last edit: March 13, 2014, 01:28:51 PM by CJGoodings

Sounds like it, anyway im from the US, and i live the GMO shithole nightmare everyday. With jobs at an all time low and fee's and fines coming from new health care legislation as of late, your pretty much forced to buy "cheap" GM products just to stay fed. Anything that's all natural usually costs an arm and a leg in the area. (being central california, home of the GMO) The farms in this entire valley are pretty much owned by McDonald's & their corporate fuck buddies. Chances are if ever had any MCD's, the lettuce, beef, cheese or anything else most likely came from this area no matter your location in the country.

Eating non-stop GM has left me fucked with gastrointestinal cancer as GM products absolutely decimated my natural probiotic enzymes, while leaving the entire system inflammed all day long, continuing for years.

Just started preaching all this anti-gmo news to my older sister, whom is also already beginning to show some of the same early warning signs i had before things went to hell in a hand basket.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:06:47 AM

Most developed nations do not consider GMOs to be safe.
It's time to learn chemistry again? There is no magic difference between aminoacides created from "natural" or "modified" peptides. L-Tryptophan is always L-Tryptophan, L-Alanine is always L-Alanine etc.

I bet you are from USA
I bet he has a brain inside his skull.
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:25:52 AM

It's time to learn chemistry again? There is no magic difference between aminoacides created from "natural" or "modified" peptides. L-Tryptophan is always L-Tryptophan, L-Alanine is always L-Alanine etc.

I bet you are from USA

monsanto sterilization gene is natural???

IOTA
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:27:43 AM

http://www.morningliberty.com/2012/10/09/top-10-monsanto-epicyte-sterilization-crimes/

IOTA
CJGoodings

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:34:50 AM

I know in monsanto's lab rat experiments, after 3 generations of breeding while feeding subjects with GM corn, the rats from that 3rd generation had become sterile.
Balthazar
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:40:37 AM

I bet you are from USA

Any consumed peptide, with notorious exceptions for some biotoxins, will be desintegrated to aminoacids. It doesn't matter natural peptide or not, you will get standard and optional aminoacides set and then use it to construct new peptides for your own body. Almost any "natural" or "unnatural" peptide is hostile to your body, you have to desintegrate it into aminoacides before trying to use.
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:43:02 AM

Insulin=GMO food???   are you ok? do you have elementary school?
Elementary school? It wasn't until high school that we learned that the amino acids in drug proteins are identical to the amino acids found in food proteins, and that they're identical regardless of whether they come from natural or modified DNA. But since my educational system has so obviously failed me, please explain to me why it is that drugs derived from GMOs are safe but foods derived from GMOs are not.

Sounds like it, anyway im from the US, and i live the GMO shithole nightmare everyday. With jobs at an all time low and fee's and fines coming from new health care legislation as of late, your pretty much forced to buy "cheap" GM products just to stay fed. Anything that's all natural usually costs an arm and a leg in the area.
Duh. The whole reason for genetically modifying food in the first place is to increase crop yields, thereby producing more food for the same price. With growing populations and shrinking available farmland, we're rapidly approaching the point where, barring an even more radical advance in agriculture, it's either GMOs or starvation. Make a choice.

Eating non-stop GM has left me fucked with gastrointestinal cancer as GM products absolutely decimated my natural probiotic enzymes, while leaving the entire system inflamed all day long, continuing for years.
Given that the amino acids are identical, it's not possible that GMOs have affected your probiotics (unless they're genetically modified antibiotics, but in that case the fact that they're genetically modified has nothing to do with it). Cancer is also not a symptom of reduced probiotic levels.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
CJGoodings

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:48:34 AM

Didnt say cancer was a symptom of probiotic deficiency, it was mearly a symptom along with "many" others such as the inflammation of the intestinal walls, swollen lympnodes, and elevated white cell counts.

As for the other comment, i was clearly stating the obvious. All that lack of food without genetic modification spiel out of the mouth of monstanto has to do with third world and developing countries.
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:51:25 AM

Yes, it is:
Hein explained that they had taken antibodies from women with a rare condition known as immune infertility, isolated the genes that regulated the manufacture of those infertility antibodies, and, using genetic engineering techniques, had inserted the genes into ordinary corn seeds used to produce corn plants.

Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:09:44 AM

So just how well are these organic foods tested? Double blind studies I assume? On all the crops and new breeds? Rigorous  long term testing and certification process?

GMO's main issue in my mind is cross-polination and patent laws... And the contracts, not the modification itself...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
CJGoodings

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:14:29 AM
Last edit: March 13, 2014, 12:53:26 PM by CJGoodings

The FDA testing process for GM products is a joke. Same with the USDA. Both together along with DEA are the whores of big pharma, where its all about the dollar bill.

Cross-pollination is a big problem when it comes to monsanto and their legal team, ready to come hard against any farmer (for copyright/theft or some shit along those lines) which has crops which have cross pollinated with monstanto patented GM crops. Its a major pain in the ass when all the surrounding farmers are forced into growing monstanto GM crops, and theres nothing you can really do but hope the wind doesnt kick up.

There's times where that very problem causes farmers to switch over to monsanto's products in order to negate that risk.

One thing that must be brought to attention is the possibility that these GM crops maybe the cause of massive honey bee die-offs as of late, as some insecticides has been spliced into some mixes of GM corn. Of course, this is just a 'maybe' and has not yet be defined as the definite cause.
tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:43:37 AM

Genetic modification in and of itself is not a bad thing. The problem is that companies like Monsanto use a combination of GMO and lobbying to keep their Roundup racket going no matter the outcome, even if it ends up being harmful.
To be honest, I'd be more concerned about rBST. We know little about the process of FDA approval of Roundup Ready seeds, but we know for sure that the approval of rBST was rushed, and the FDA could have very well been paid off or mislead.
CJGoodings

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:51:39 AM

Yeah, all those bovine injections are hella scandalous... of course you can pass FDA trials when your allowed to omit data from the studies, results of puss filled sores developing in the cows utters tainting the milk.
Stalker1337

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:06:06 PM

Agree with OP, GMO is not good for us, people try to avoid this and don't buy that!
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 02:24:46 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2014, 04:06:45 PM by Spendulus

....Of course, this is just a 'maybe' and has not yet be defined as the definite cause.
Oh yeah?

Well...

Well..

Yah want to match up your maybes against mah maybes?

So far everything you've said in support of an anti-GMO position has seemed rather groundless.

How about the estimated 1 Billion+ people that GMO has saved the lives of?
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:26:44 PM

What about farmers in the USA, who didn't want to accept GMO and had GMO sown against their will, to contaminate their clean crops? If GMO is so good then why not allow people to choose whether they want to use it or not?

mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:38:02 PM

....Of course, this is just a 'maybe' and has not yet be defined as the definite cause.
Oh yeah?

Well...

Well..

So far everything you've said in support of an anti-GMO position has seemed rather groundless.

-How about the estimated 1 Billion+ people that GMO has saved the lives of?-

nice joke

IOTA
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:40:07 PM

What about farmers in the USA, who didn't want to accept GMO and had GMO sown against their will, to contaminate their clean crops? If GMO is so good then why not allow people to choose whether they want to use it or not?

+1

http://tribune.com.pk/story/342986/control-by-seed/

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2578928

IOTA
pioter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:43:33 PM

ore info, click here). Our strategy is to empower consumers to make change through the marketplace. If people stop buying GMOs,
companies will stop using them and farmers will stop growing them.

List of some products/brands with GMO's:
1 – “Snickers”, “Twix”,  “M & M”, “Milky Way”..........
2 – “Campbell” soups and other
3 –“Uncle Bens”
4 – Tea “Lipton”
5 – "Ferrero" - everything... Roche, Kinder surprise, Kinder    Bueno.....
6 – “Kraft” everything MILKA!!!, Jacob, Toblerone
7 – “Nestle” everything
8 –   Wrigley,  Juicy Fruit, Wrigley's Spearmint, Altoids, Orbit,Extra, Starburst, Doublemint, Skittles, Freedent Airwaves,     Winterfresh
9 – “Coca–Cola”, “Sprite”, “Fanta”, “Pepsi–Cola” , 7up, Gatorade......
10 – “Knorr” everything
11 – “Hellman ‘s” everything
12 – “Danone” everything
13 – “Heinz” everithing
14 – “Hipp” everithing for babies too!!!!
15 – “OREO”
16 – “McDonalds” 
17 – “Kellogg”
18 – “Pringles P&G” chips
19 – “President's choice ” everything
20 – ”Abbot Labs Similac” (babies food)

all i eat is with GMO i cannot say no Sad

plis send btc : 1Dh194qAHCejvAYtS54j2n5p6MoK85PmcQ
CJGoodings

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:13:31 PM

all i eat is with GMO i cannot say no Sad

All anybody eats is GM, 90+% of all corn crops in the united states are GM, and of course we put corn or derivatives of it in damn near everything now including vitamins. So even when you think your getting healthy and all natural, chances are your still consuming it.
Slab Squathrust

Activity: 169

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:22:55 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2014, 02:39:34 AM by Slab Squathrust

BTC:  13z98nGMexfE6B9iXAFZSnp3upbr1TgzJT

Yes, please donate to a random bitcoin address, posted by a user from Slovenia, for a non profit based in Bellingham, WA.  Also, can you explain why DNA from a virus or bacteria is so scary?  The genetic code is conserved from humans all the way to the lowly bacteria.  Proteins coded for by said DNA are exactly the same.  Its not like your body sees a protein and checks if this is naturally in this food or if it came from a gene placed there via molecular techniques.  You gut says protein, like all protein I am going to hydrolosize this into its constituent amino acids. The biggest risks from GMOs come from the risk of creating a monoculture.  Genetic diversity is the spice of life.    
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 02:37:16 AM

Oh yeah?

Well...

Well..

You mean the billion people who were starving due to the greed of a capitalist society?

How about the billion(s) it harms?

Kidney disease:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/monsantos-gmo-corn-linked_n_420365.html

Yay tumors and premature death!:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/gmo-safety-zmgz13amzsto.aspx#axzz2vtuIpvLm

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Valle

Activity: 177
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:24:00 AM

That is so amusing... I thought that bitcointalk people are smarter.
CJGoodings

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:54:32 AM

Yes, please donate to a random bitcoin address, posted by a user from Slovenia, for a non profit based in Bellingham, WA.  

Ya i thought that also to be hella shady. If the non-gmo project accepted bitcoins, then they would atleast have their address listed somewhere on that site. If the OP is seriously with the project, then my statement should be taken as a suggestion to add the payment method through the site.
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 05:18:03 AM

Yes, please donate to a random bitcoin address, posted by a user from Slovenia, for a non profit based in Bellingham, WA.  Also, can you explain why DNA from a virus or bacteria is so scary?  The genetic code is conserved from humans all the way to the lowly bacteria.  Proteins coded for by said DNA are exactly the same.  Its not like your body sees a protein and checks if this is naturally in this food or if it came from a gene placed there via molecular techniques.  You gut says protein, like all protein I am going to hydrolosize this into its constituent amino acids. The biggest risks from GMOs come from the risk of creating a monoculture.  Genetic diversity is the spice of life.    

be free and contact nongmoproject.org

Why from Slovenia to non profit from USA?
Because you must fight against evil (GMO) in USA.
If we stop them in USA, all world will be free from GMOs, because 99,99999999999999999 % off all GMO seeds is made in USA.
In EU "we"  have "some" regulations against GMO's but GMO is here on the main door (see the list).

But don't get me wrong (i know my english is bad), pls donate to yours local anti GMO non profit org.
Or just write about it
because censorship is very big in mass media.

IOTA
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 05:18:58 AM

Yes, please donate to a random bitcoin address, posted by a user from Slovenia, for a non profit based in Bellingham, WA.  

Ya i thought that also to be hella shady. If the non-gmo project accepted bitcoins, then they would atleast have their address listed somewhere on that site. If the OP is seriously with the project, then my statement should be taken as a suggestion to add the payment method through the site.

+1

there will be payment option through the site.
I suggest them to add BTC donation option on site.

IOTA
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 05:44:00 AM

That is so amusing... I thought that bitcointalk people are smarter.
Everybody thinks that, and everybody is wrong:
Quote from: The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity
1. Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.
2. The probability that a certain person be stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 09:30:57 AM

Also, can you explain why DNA from a virus or bacteria is so scary?  The genetic code is conserved from humans all the way to the lowly bacteria.  Proteins coded for by said DNA are exactly the same.  Its not like your body sees a protein and checks if this is naturally in this food or if it came from a gene placed there via molecular techniques.  

It is scary for a few reasons:

1. It could enter the natural food supply and destabilize natural balances and lead to famine, and potentially irreversibly destroy natural DNA forever. Lots of scientists are coming to the conclusion that "colony collapse syndrome" or massive bee die offs are directly linked with the use of Monsanto BT products which have pesticides in the flesh of the plant, including the pollen. We depend heavily upon bees to pollinate our food crops.

2. The viruses often used to create GMO plants and animals are often very unpredictable and mutate regularly, even after recombination. This can lead to unforeseen consequences as far as containing the viral DNA and can lead to the contamination of natural plant and human DNA.

3. No one knows what they are eating. This so called "junk DNA" it turns out actually is important to how life forms grow and reproduce including DNA which can be expressed under certain conditions. Toying with this balance we barely understand creates fundamental differences in the molecular make up of the DNA which is only later felt as it triggers human expressive genes normally left inactive under optimum natural conditions. What is safe for you may be deadly toxic to me depending on what dormant genes we have waiting.

Lastly, please look into BT corn. It is based off of a pesticide derived from the toxic waste of a bacteria. This substance used to be sprayed on crops, meaning you could simply wash it off. Now that DNA which is the production mechanism of the toxin from the bacteria, is inserted directly into the flesh of the BT corn. This means you consume this toxin, which is in fact very harmful in itself leading to gastrointestinal inflammation, ulcers, cancer, etc in test cases. This is not the worst part though. The virus bacteria recombination which is used to create the pesticide in the flesh of the corn can REPLICATE IN YOUR GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT, ie long term poisoning from the inside out as your gut pumps out more and more toxins. There are also many other BT products which we consume every day. You are what you eat is more true of a saying than most people understand.

Transgenic Crops: An Introduction and Resource Guide
http://cls.casa.colostate.edu/transgeniccrops/faqpopup.html

Complete Genes May Pass from Food to Human Blood
www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0069805

Spread of herbicide-resistance from genetically modified creeping bentgrass into the wild.
http://natureinstitute.org/nontarget/reports/bentgrass_001.php

Possible Human Health Hazards of Genetically Engineered Bt Crops
http://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/btcomments.cfm

DNA from GE foods can end up in your genes  
www.psrast.org/dnauptakechick.htm

A long-term toxicology study on pigs fed a combined genetically modified (GM) soy andGM maize diet
www.organic-systems.org/journal/81/8106.pdf

65 Health Risks of GM Foods
www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers/65-health-risks/5notes

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-18e-colony-collapse-revisited-genetically-modified-plants/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/27/10-reasons-why-no-one-needs-gm-foods.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/06/dangerous-toxins-from-gmo-foods.aspx

http://permaculturenews.org/2013/04/22/stunning-difference-of-gm-from-non-gm-corn/
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 09:56:08 AM

Also, can you explain why DNA from a virus or bacteria is so scary?  The genetic code is conserved from humans all the way to the lowly bacteria.  Proteins coded for by said DNA are exactly the same.  Its not like your body sees a protein and checks if this is naturally in this food or if it came from a gene placed there via molecular techniques.  

1. It could enter the natural food supply and destabilize natural balances and lead to famine, and potentially irreversibly destroy natural DNA forever. Lots of scientists are coming to the conclusion that "colony collapse syndrome" or massive bee die offs are directly linked with the use of Monsanto BT products which have pesticides in the flesh of the plant, including the pollen. We depend heavily upon bees to pollinate our food crops.

2. The viruses often used to create GMO plants and animals are often very unpredictable and mutate regularly, even after recombination. This can lead to unforeseen consequences as far as containing the viral DNA and can lead to the contamination of natural plant and human DNA.

3. No one knows what they are eating. This so called "junk DNA" it turns out actually is important to how life forms grow and reproduce including DNA which can be expressed under certain conditions. Toying with this balance we barely understand creates fundamental differences in the molecular make up of the DNA which is only later felt as it triggers human expressive genes normally left inactive under optimum natural conditions. What is safe for you may be deadly toxic to me depending on what dormant genes we have waiting.

Lastly, please look into BT corn. It is based off of a pesticide derived from the toxic waste of a bacteria. This substance used to be sprayed on crops, meaning you could simply wash it off. Now that DNA which is the production mechanism of the toxin from the bacteria, is inserted directly into the flesh of the BT corn. This means you consume this toxin, which is in fact very harmful in itself leading to gastrointestinal inflammation, ulcers, cancer, etc in test cases. This is not the worst part though. The virus bacteria recombination which is used to create the pesticide in the flesh of the corn can REPLICATE IN YOUR GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT, ie long term poisoning from the inside out as your gut pumps out more and more toxins. There are also many other BT products which we consume every day. You are what you eat is more true of a saying than most people understand.

Spread of herbicide-resistance from genetically modified creeping bentgrass into the wild.

A long-term toxicology study on pigs fed a combined genetically modified (GM) soy andGM maize diet

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-18e-colony-collapse-revisited-genetically-modified-plants/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/27/10-reasons-why-no-one-needs-gm-foods.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/06/dangerous-toxins-from-gmo-foods.aspx

http://permaculturenews.org/2013/04/22/stunning-difference-of-gm-from-non-gm-corn/

+111111

IOTA
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 10:45:26 AM

Avoid it now while you have the choice.

Before the government steps in to "save us".

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
CJGoodings

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:14:50 AM

Also, can you explain why DNA from a virus or bacteria is so scary?  The genetic code is conserved from humans all the way to the lowly bacteria.  Proteins coded for by said DNA are exactly the same.  Its not like your body sees a protein and checks if this is naturally in this food or if it came from a gene placed there via molecular techniques. 

Finally somebody that speaks truth, and doesn't go straight to personal insults to make their point.
Slab Squathrust

Activity: 169

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 10:05:55 PM

1.  Reread my post, I mentioned the concerns with crop monocultures.  Yes, bees are important, however linking colony collapse syndrome to GM crops is incorrect according to current research.  Colony die offs do not correlate to locations of GM crops.
Peggy G. Lemaux: Genetically Engineered Plants and Foods: A Scientist's Analysis of the Issues (Part II). Annual Review of Plant Biology Vol. 60: 511–559.

A 2008 review article, examined the effects of the presence of the Bacillus Crystal protein in pollen.  It showed no deleterious effects of this pollen on hymenoptera (The order to which bees belong) larva.  
Duan JJ, Marvier M, Huesing J, Dively G, Huang ZY. 2008. A meta-analysis of effects of Bt crops on honey bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae). PLoS ONE 3:e1415

Much more convincing evidence currently points to a nicotine derivative, Neonicotinoid, used as a spray on insecticide.  When this chemical was improperly applied, it led to a mssive die off in German bees.  This chemical has also been shown to be deleterious to aquatic environments.    
http://www.bvl.bund.de/EN/08_PresseInfothek_engl/01_Presse_und_Hintergrundinformationen/2008_07_15_hi_Bienensterben_en.html?nn=1414138

2.  I don't want to burst your fear bubble, but your genome has been modified by viruses in the past, and within your own life.  If you were to shell out the $10,000 bucks to get your entire genome sequenced, you could easily find the remnants of ancient retroviruses that are no longer active, but exist solely as a permanent member of your genome.  Some proteins coded by these viruses play critical roles in the formation of the placenta.  If you have ever had Mononucleosis (Epstien-Barr)  Chickenpox (Varicella-zoster) or some of the more embarrassing herpes infections the virus' genome circularizes and still lives within your cells as a structure known as an episome.  Why do I bring this up?  How many plants do you see infected with these diseases?  Viruses are small obligate intracellular parasites.  They survive by jumping from cell to cell.  The faster they do this, the more likely they have the opportunity to reach a new host.  Therefore, viruses run very lean, to minimize the amount of DNA they need to replicate.  This results in a virus that is almost always tied to a small group of resevoir species.  The virus is limited by its small library of interacting proteins and dependence on unique cellular pathways found in its host range.  Zoonotic events like a avian flu or hemorrhagic fevers jumping from a non human animal to humans is relatively rare.  Often these viruses don't go on to be endemic within the human population (with the potential exception of flu viruses).  With this in mind, the odds of a plant virus being able to interact with human tissues is slim to none.  Most plant viruses are RNA viruses.  This means they replicate in the cytoplasm and have no interaction with the host genomes.  To use one of these as a transformative vector would be relatively pointless.  Any progeny cells would not inherit the desired gene as it was not integrated into the host genome.  To my knowledge, there is only one plant virus that has been shown to have any potential effects on humans.  The Pepper mild mottle virus' appears to elicit symptoms in some individuals.  However it has been postulated that the virus does not infect human cells, but that its ssRNA genome may function in a way similar to RNA interference.  These things combined, you have very little to worry about from plant viruses.  Typically their only contribution to the production of GMOs is the use of a viral promoter, to ensure gene activation.  More often than not, a naturally transforming bacteria or molecular technique, such as electroporation, is used as a vector.  
http://www.techvert.com/evidence-virus-moves-from-plants-to-humans/              
Colson P, Richet H, Desnues C, Balique F, Moal V, et al. (2010). "Pepper Mild Mottle Virus, a Plant Virus Associated with Specific Immune Responses, Fever, Abdominal Pains, and Pruritus in Humans" PLoS ONE 5 (4): e10041.

3.  If you want to be taken seriously by people in the biological science community, you will never again use the term junk DNA.  Such a term lacks the precision necessary for scientific dialogue.  What you are referring to is non coding DNA.  This means that a streach of sequence does cannot be translated to make an amino acid.  It lacks what are known as open reading frames.  Sure there are important parts of non coding DNA.  These can range from sequences that code for useful RNA molecules to regulatory sequences for nearby genes.  However, the vast majority, something like 98-99%, of human DNA serve no function at all.  It is not only ever expressed, but is in fact incapable of being expressed.  This serves a very useful purpose.  Cellular replication enzymes are incredibly accurate.  Mutations are very rare.  However, with the amount of replication that occurs (6 billion base pairs in a human cell), the odds dictate that some mutations will occur in the process of replication.  Fortunately, there are error checking mechanisms.  Now imagine a situation where an error occurs.  Odds are it will be corrected.  If it isn't odds are it wont occur in the 2% of DNA that serves a purpose.  Most mutations are deleterious, if an uncorrected one is going to occur, you want it in a region that is not essential for cellular survival.  A gene inserted into a plant genome will have no effect on what you termed as the expression of human junk DNA.  

4.  Once again, you are referring to the addition of a gene coding for the δ-crystal protein of certain bacillus bacteria.  To call this toxic waste is ignorance at best, useless histrionics at worst.  It serves a necessary purpose for bacterial sporulation process.  It is indeed an enterotoxin, but not to mammals.  In insects, it will bind to what are known as cadherins (calcium dependent adhesion molecules).  It can then span the plasma membrane creating a pore.  This disrupts the critical ionic gradients that cells maintain for survival.  All animals have adhesion molecules such as cadherins, however, mammalian cadherins are distinct and do not interact with δ-crystal.  Therefore, the pore cannot be formed.  Further the corn is transgenic.  It is identical to wildtype corn with the exception of a single gene coding for δ-crystal.  Sure a virus or more likely bacterium may have been used to insert the gene into the mother plant, all progeny only contain the gene.  If a molecular technique was used, there was no organism necessary to create the mother.  No transforming bacteria or virus is present and none can spontaneously arise.  The protein by itself cannot replicate additional copies, and the corn is dead.  Its cells are not creating more of the protein.  The gene creating δ-crystal is not being integrated into your genome.  In fact, for decades bacillus spores have been applied to crops as a natural insecticide.  Since ancient Egypt people have used bacteria as a natural means of protecting crops.  Essentially modern techniques have allowed us to cut out the middle men.  Instead of using live bacteria, which will invariably be consumed, we can use the single effector protein.   Now does this absolutely preclude an interaction?  No, just like any other foreign anitgen, the δ-crystal could trigger an allergic immune response.  However, is δ-crystal poisoning you?  Not at all.  
Pigott CR, Ellar DJ. Role of receptors in Bacillus thuringiensis crystal toxin activity. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2007 Jun;71(2):255-81            
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 07:29:23 AM

1.  Reread my post, I mentioned the concerns with crop monocultures.  Yes, bees are important, however linking colony collapse syndrome to GM crops is incorrect according to current research.  Colony die offs do not correlate to locations of GM crops.
Peggy G. Lemaux: Genetically Engineered Plants and Foods: A Scientist's Analysis of the Issues (Part II). Annual Review of Plant Biology Vol. 60: 511–559.

A 2008 review article, examined the effects of the presence of the Bacillus Crystal protein in pollen.  It showed no deleterious effects of this pollen on hymenoptera (The order to which bees belong) larva.  
Duan JJ, Marvier M, Huesing J, Dively G, Huang ZY. 2008. A meta-analysis of effects of Bt crops on honey bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae). PLoS ONE 3:e1415

Much more convincing evidence currently points to a nicotine derivative, Neonicotinoid, used as a spray on insecticide.  When this chemical was improperly applied, it led to a mssive die off in German bees.  This chemical has also been shown to be deleterious to aquatic environments.    
http://www.bvl.bund.de/EN/08_PresseInfothek_engl/01_Presse_und_Hintergrundinformationen/2008_07_15_hi_Bienensterben_en.html?nn=1414138

2.  I don't want to burst your fear bubble, but your genome has been modified by viruses in the past, and within your own life.  If you were to shell out the $10,000 bucks to get your entire genome sequenced, you could easily find the remnants of ancient retroviruses that are no longer active, but exist solely as a permanent member of your genome.  Some proteins coded by these viruses play critical roles in the formation of the placenta.  If you have ever had Mononucleosis (Epstien-Barr)  Chickenpox (Varicella-zoster) or some of the more embarrassing herpes infections the virus' genome circularizes and still lives within your cells as a structure known as an episome.  Why do I bring this up?  How many plants do you see infected with these diseases?  Viruses are small obligate intracellular parasites.  They survive by jumping from cell to cell.  The faster they do this, the more likely they have the opportunity to reach a new host.  Therefore, viruses run very lean, to minimize the amount of DNA they need to replicate.  This results in a virus that is almost always tied to a small group of resevoir species.  The virus is limited by its small library of interacting proteins and dependence on unique cellular pathways found in its host range.  Zoonotic events like a avian flu or hemorrhagic fevers jumping from a non human animal to humans is relatively rare.  Often these viruses don't go on to be endemic within the human population (with the potential exception of flu viruses).  With this in mind, the odds of a plant virus being able to interact with human tissues is slim to none.  Most plant viruses are RNA viruses.  This means they replicate in the cytoplasm and have no interaction with the host genomes.  To use one of these as a transformative vector would be relatively pointless.  Any progeny cells would not inherit the desired gene as it was not integrated into the host genome.  To my knowledge, there is only one plant virus that has been shown to have any potential effects on humans.  The Pepper mild mottle virus' appears to elicit symptoms in some individuals.  However it has been postulated that the virus does not infect human cells, but that its ssRNA genome may function in a way similar to RNA interference.  These things combined, you have very little to worry about from plant viruses.  Typically their only contribution to the production of GMOs is the use of a viral promoter, to ensure gene activation.  More often than not, a naturally transforming bacteria or molecular technique, such as electroporation, is used as a vector.  
http://www.techvert.com/evidence-virus-moves-from-plants-to-humans/              
Colson P, Richet H, Desnues C, Balique F, Moal V, et al. (2010). "Pepper Mild Mottle Virus, a Plant Virus Associated with Specific Immune Responses, Fever, Abdominal Pains, and Pruritus in Humans" PLoS ONE 5 (4): e10041.

3.  If you want to be taken seriously by people in the biological science community, you will never again use the term junk DNA.  Such a term lacks the precision necessary for scientific dialogue.  What you are referring to is non coding DNA.  This means that a streach of sequence does cannot be translated to make an amino acid.  It lacks what are known as open reading frames.  Sure there are important parts of non coding DNA.  These can range from sequences that code for useful RNA molecules to regulatory sequences for nearby genes.  However, the vast majority, something like 98-99%, of human DNA serve no function at all.  It is not only ever expressed, but is in fact incapable of being expressed.  This serves a very useful purpose.  Cellular replication enzymes are incredibly accurate.  Mutations are very rare.  However, with the amount of replication that occurs (6 billion base pairs in a human cell), the odds dictate that some mutations will occur in the process of replication.  Fortunately, there are error checking mechanisms.  Now imagine a situation where an error occurs.  Odds are it will be corrected.  If it isn't odds are it wont occur in the 2% of DNA that serves a purpose.  Most mutations are deleterious, if an uncorrected one is going to occur, you want it in a region that is not essential for cellular survival.  A gene inserted into a plant genome will have no effect on what you termed as the expression of human junk DNA.  

4.  Once again, you are referring to the addition of a gene coding for the δ-crystal protein of certain bacillus bacteria.  To call this toxic waste is ignorance at best, useless histrionics at worst.  It serves a necessary purpose for bacterial sporulation process.  It is indeed an enterotoxin, but not to mammals.  In insects, it will bind to what are known as cadherins (calcium dependent adhesion molecules).  It can then span the plasma membrane creating a pore.  This disrupts the critical ionic gradients that cells maintain for survival.  All animals have adhesion molecules such as cadherins, however, mammalian cadherins are distinct and do not interact with δ-crystal.  Therefore, the pore cannot be formed.  Further the corn is transgenic.  It is identical to wildtype corn with the exception of a single gene coding for δ-crystal.  Sure a virus or more likely bacterium may have been used to insert the gene into the mother plant, all progeny only contain the gene.  If a molecular technique was used, there was no organism necessary to create the mother.  No transforming bacteria or virus is present and none can spontaneously arise.  The protein by itself cannot replicate additional copies, and the corn is dead.  Its cells are not creating more of the protein.  The gene creating δ-crystal is not being integrated into your genome.  In fact, for decades bacillus spores have been applied to crops as a natural insecticide.  Since ancient Egypt people have used bacteria as a natural means of protecting crops.  Essentially modern techniques have allowed us to cut out the middle men.  Instead of using live bacteria, which will invariably be consumed, we can use the single effector protein.   Now does this absolutely preclude an interaction?  No, just like any other foreign anitgen, the δ-crystal could trigger an allergic immune response.  However, is δ-crystal poisoning you?  Not at all.  
Pigott CR, Ellar DJ. Role of receptors in Bacillus thuringiensis crystal toxin activity. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2007 Jun;71(2):255-81            

Impressive pedantic screed.

1. The problems with colony collapse disorder revolve around ADULT bees simply flying away and never returning. That study is irrelevant because it doesn't study the target, adult bees.

2. I don't want to bust your ego bubble but viruses from glow in the dark fish don't ever get into tomatoes in nature regardless of how many times it mutates naturally. Your argument is a fallacy.

3. The entire point of using the term "junk DNA" was to expose the fact that when GMO plants and animals started being created, this was a common assumption among geneticists. The entire reason I used it was to point out it is idiotic. Way to read and comprehend.

4. I don't think you have the expertise to make this conclusion. Erring on the side of risk for something this inconclusive and complicated seems quite reckless and irresponsible don't you think?
Valle

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:41:06 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2014, 06:57:11 PM by Valle

Slab Squathrust: "It doesn't work this way because of these simple reasons. Check the attached references."
TECSHARE: "You are an idiot!"
lemier

Activity: 68

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:28:59 PM

+1 I am against GMO! I think if there must be GMO w must have choice what products to choose with or without GMO, aren't we living in a free country?
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 12:21:19 AM

Slab Squathrust: "It doesn't work this way because of these simple reasons. Check the attached references."
TECSHARE: "You are an idiot!"

Funny how my sources suddenly are invisible to you. Additionally I used no more of a personal attack that he did so it is interesting that you decide to attack me regardless of him exhibiting this behavior first. I suppose this is a clear indication of your bias.
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:50:36 AM

consequences of eating GMO food are peoples with deviation's like John Mccain who thinks that his "nation" is superior in the world

IOTA
Balthazar
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 07:52:30 AM

I suppose that you need a referendum Grin
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 10:27:45 AM

I suppose that you need a referendum Grin

i vote No.
DANIEL77

Activity: 591

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:28:33 AM

+1! No to GMO! I'm against GMO!
praxiscat

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 05:10:00 AM
Merited by Foxpup (1)

Let me say there is a strong anti-science thread to the anti-GMO movement that bothers me. The fact is humans have been genetically modifying organisms in some way since Mendel opened the door to genetics.
It relies on a deep fear of science and it's results that dates back to anti-enlightenment fiction.
Humans have been taking evolution into our own hands since selective breeding of dogs with artificial selection. The technology regarding artificial selection getting continually more and more advanced as we advanced as a specieces, and the development of modern biological science. But many are so scared of it, partially because of a lack of understanding, it is a primal fear.

I will state the anti-GMO issue came out of a corporate IP issue, but people activists attached a fear of sciencetific advancement with it. A glorification of the natural. The same science of geneticially modifying organisms, molecular biology, is what can both cure and treat diseases.

With regards to GMO argiculture, the promise has already been fulfilled, we dodged a major global food crisis a couple of years ago with the significant drought in the US because drought resistant corn was already on the market. In a warming climate with the increased probability of extreme weather events we will need to use the science we know to mitigate it's human impacts. GMO is part of that solution, I am not saying GMO is always good, like any new technology it depends on use, but to take a blanket anti-position is one which is in many ways steeped in fear, and an anti-scientific bias largely based in irrational fear.

Einsteinium.org
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 05:33:49 AM

Have to agree with you praxiscat, I can understand being against for example having plants and animals getting their DNA genetically altered because that's going the extremely risky way of tampering with nature. Cross breeding for example however and things like it is something that has been done for ages now without anybody really getting all bothered about it, you for example, you have farmers who have taken a breed of cow that survives better in harsher environments but doesn't have a lot of meat, then breed it with a cow that does but can't survive very well in harsh environments, that's a very basic example but you get the idea.

The same people who rant about this kind of thing are quite happy to use Iphones and twitter so really, I don't pay much attention to them, much like when it comes to human culture, single genetic structures are dying out, this is evolution and progress, there's nothing you can do to stop it.
lemfuture

Activity: 686

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:38:41 AM

been having hemorrhoids along side eating gmo since childhood. switched to usda organic/non-gmo foods last year and no more pain in the ass from hell  Smiley
p.s. ate a domino pizza and the chocolate fudge they have this weekend, gave in to the temptation then voila! =result a lil pain in the stool

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
Jeezy911

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:46:01 AM

I honestly have no idea why anyone gives a fuck about this stuff. Don't like it, don't eat it. Know what's worse than a genetically engineered piece of food? An activist that protests all day long because they don't work. Now that my friends is a real bad parasite.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 05:47:49 AM

People are quite rightly worried about genetically modified stuff Jeezy911 getting into the normal food, there are places where it's already happening with basic crops because of pollination, if the company that makes these crops fucked up then they could end up accidentally putting in something poisonous or fatal to humans or for that matter animals.

<insert infected human/animal apocalypse scenario here caused by a virus spreading through genetically modified plantation>

I think DNA tampering is a definite concern, but cross breeding? Not so much.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:56:55 AM

Sounds like it, anyway im from the US, and i live the GMO shithole nightmare everyday. With jobs at an all time low and fee's and fines coming from new health care legislation as of late, your pretty much forced to buy "cheap" GM products just to stay fed. Anything that's all natural usually costs an arm and a leg in the area. (being central california, home of the GMO) The farms in this entire valley are pretty much owned by McDonald's & their corporate fuck buddies. Chances are if ever had any MCD's, the lettuce, beef, cheese or anything else most likely came from this area no matter your location in the country.

Eating non-stop GM has left me fucked with gastrointestinal cancer as GM products absolutely decimated my natural probiotic enzymes, while leaving the entire system inflammed all day long, continuing for years.

Just started preaching all this anti-gmo news to my older sister, whom is also already beginning to show some of the same early warning signs i had before things went to hell in a hand basket.

I need to make some changes soon, thanks for the warning.
Snickers, Twix, Nestle, McD's..............Oh No!!!

mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 07:39:45 AM

I honestly have no idea why anyone gives a fuck about this stuff. Don't like it, don't eat it. Know what's worse than a genetically engineered piece of food? An activist that protests all day long because they don't work. Now that my friends is a real bad parasite.

how do you know what you eat?Huh

IOTA
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 08:45:15 AM

Let me say there is a strong anti-science thread to the anti-GMO movement that bothers me. The fact is humans have been genetically modifying organisms in some way since Mendel opened the door to genetics.
It relies on a deep fear of science and it's results that dates back to anti-enlightenment fiction.
Humans have been taking evolution into our own hands since selective breeding of dogs with artificial selection. The technology regarding artificial selection getting continually more and more advanced as we advanced as a specieces, and the development of modern biological science. But many are so scared of it, partially because of a lack of understanding, it is a primal fear.

This argument is a fallacy. In no way is selective breeding the same thing as taking DNA from a species that will never reproduce with another species and combining them. This will NEVER, not in a billion years happen naturally, and in no way is the same thing.
CJGoodings

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:39:30 PM

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/05/31/monsanto-found-guilty-of-chemical-poisoning-in-france/

oops...
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:02:21 PM

+1

IOTA
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:56:33 AM

yeah fuck that they dont give a damn about farmers.
recently another farmer was sentenced to prison for not spraying pesticides on his crops...
-> http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/23/french-organic-winemaker-prison-pesticide

WTF
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 10:14:29 AM

GMO, NWO....eugenica it is all conected

IOTA
Jeezy911

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:29:15 AM

how do you know what you eat?Huh
Well im still alive so I guess im ok. Im more concerned about a gamma ray burst hitting the earth than eating poison, seems to be about the same probability.

Bonam

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:46:32 PM

GMOs are pretty much the only plausible way to feed the Earth's ever increasing population with the nutrients they need to live healthy lives. Opponents of GMOs that slow the deployment of GMO products in developing nations are letting their ill-founded "principles" get in the way of life-saving technologies that could be preventing hundreds of millions of people from suffering starvation, malnutrition, and disease.
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:19:30 PM

lol, what? Even if you do think that GM stuff is dangerous, why does it have to link in with all that conspiracy theory shite?

That's the problem with "activists" like you, although you speak some truths, you lose your credibility when you start linking everything together with no proof or evidence. It's one thing to say it's dangerous, another thing entirely to start saying it's some master NWO eugenics plan....

I personally think that GM food is perfectly safe if it's done carefully - I would say the main danger is cross-pollination, that could cause for example some sort of strain of super-plants (triffids if you will) that could upset the local eco-system. Unlikely though.

I don't agree with these hugely powerful corporations basically doing what the hell they like, however, with no regard for anything/anyone else. Also don't agree with the french dude going to prison, but that case has nothing to do with GMO as far as I can see?
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 12:08:57 PM

lol, what? Even if you do think that GM stuff is dangerous, why does it have to link in with all that conspiracy theory shite?

That's the problem with "activists" like you, although you speak some truths, you lose your credibility when you start linking everything together with no proof or evidence. It's one thing to say it's dangerous, another thing entirely to start saying it's some master NWO eugenics plan....

I personally think that GM food is perfectly safe if it's done carefully - I would say the main danger is cross-pollination, that could cause for example some sort of strain of super-plants (triffids if you will) that could upset the local eco-system. Unlikely though.

I don't agree with these hugely powerful corporations basically doing what the hell they like, however, with no regard for anything/anyone else. Also don't agree with the french dude going to prison, but that case has nothing to do with GMO as far as I can see?

conspiracy?
are you living on earth??

google eugenica bill gates

i think that you dont need google for nwo (nsa etc...)

IOTA
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 05:17:20 AM

GMOs are pretty much the only plausible way to feed the Earth's ever increasing population with the nutrients they need to live healthy lives. Opponents of GMOs that slow the deployment of GMO products in developing nations are letting their ill-founded "principles" get in the way of life-saving technologies that could be preventing hundreds of millions of people from suffering starvation, malnutrition, and disease.
 There is absolutely ZERO empirical data to back this statement up. I know the words make you feel all warm and fuzzy like you are helping people, but it is not. All the data I have looked into shows if anything GMO foods cause MORE STARVATION. How is this possible you ask? Well when you are in a poor country and your food crops are grown from "terminator" seeds that will not produce fertile seed stock, you are forced to buy expensive seeds EVERY YEAR. If you are already starving how do you afford this?  Additionally BT products are creating BT resistant super pests that are devastating crops because they have evolved a resistance to the BT poison. Just look at how many Indians have committed suicide because of the starvation brought on by GMO products, then tell me again how it is feeding the worlds starving any better than natural foods.
Jeezy911

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 06:51:48 AM

There is absolutely ZERO empirical data to back this statement up. I know the words make you feel all warm and fuzzy like you are helping people, but it is not. All the data I have looked into shows if anything GMO foods cause MORE STARVATION. How is this possible you ask? Well when you are in a poor country and your food crops are grown from "terminator" seeds that will not produce fertile seed stock, you are forced to buy expensive seeds EVERY YEAR. If you are already starving how do you afford this?  Additionally BT products are creating BT resistant super pests that are devastating crops because they have evolved a resistance to the BT poison. Just look at how many Indians have committed suicide because of the starvation brought on by GMO products, then tell me again how it is feeding the worlds starving any better than natural foods.

ZERO data? How about this data? You do realize the earth can only support so many people, and is not infinite is resources?

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 09:15:04 AM

Showing a chart of past and projected population growth is not empirical data to support your claim. You have shown no evidence population growth has anything to do with GMO food, you simply put the two ideas next to each other and claim, based ON YOUR BELIEF that they are causally related. Additionally overpopulation was not the subject in question. Try again.
11inches

Activity: 39

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 04:11:13 PM

can someone tell me: why are people against GMO? I can't find any medical literature which suggests its toxic for the body.
Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 05:37:06 PM

You can't win an arms race with evolution.
The 'pests' will win every time.
But the big companies only think 3 months head, if at all.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 01:52:30 PM

can someone tell me: why are people against GMO? I can't find any medical literature which suggests its toxic for the body.
  Try reading the thread.
Bonam

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:57:39 AM

Who says? Technological progress can be a heck of a lot faster than natural evolution.
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:01:35 AM

Who says? Technological progress can be a heck of a lot faster than natural evolution.

Technological progress will ''reset'' planet (A bomb, H bomb, AIDS, GMO, Chemtrails, etc.)

IOTA
Bonam

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:05:02 AM

Technological progress will ''reset'' planet (A bomb, H bomb, AIDS, GMO, Chemtrails, etc.)

We've had the technological ability to destroy our own civilization for decades and have so far managed to refrain from doing so. In fact, since acquiring such technology, open warfare between major powers has become pretty much non-existent. AIDS isn't a technology but a disease... one that is now treatable (thanks to technology), and will soon be cured. "Chemtrails" are conspiracy theory nonsense, and GMOs are a boon to humankind.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 08:30:39 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2014, 10:23:58 AM by TECSHARE

We've had the technological ability to destroy our own civilization for decades and have so far managed to refrain from doing so. In fact, since acquiring such technology, open warfare between major powers has become pretty much non-existent. AIDS isn't a technology but a disease... one that is now treatable (thanks to technology), and will soon be cured. "Chemtrails" are conspiracy theory nonsense, and GMOs are a boon to humankind.
 No open warfare? LOL I think we have a prosock here.

For the sake of argument lets say there is no war like you say.... what about Fukushima? Almost half of the worlds oceans are devoid of life because of this, and 15 out of 15 tuna contain elevated levels of radiation, but nukes are great right!? This is just ONE PLANT. The State I live in has ELEVEN such MOX reactors. This disaster is just beginning to unfold.

GMO foods are one of the most destructive things ever created, and by the time people like you realize it it will be too late because the damage is done. If you disagree then go fix Fukushima for me and I will agree with whatever you want.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:37:36 PM

Decades in a very short period.  Several civilizations have collapsed due to internal tensions - for example Western Europe regressed after the collapse of the Roman Empire and apparently the population of Rome itself fell over 80%. 
dotcom

Activity: 354

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 09:56:05 PM

What are GMOs?
GMOs, or “genetically modified organisms,” are plants or animals that have been genetically engineered with DNA from bacteria,
 viruses or other plants and animals. These experimental combinations of genes from different species cannot occur in nature
 or in traditional crossbreeding.
Virtually all commercial GMOs are engineered to withstand direct application of herbicide and/or to produce an insecticide.
 Despite biotech industry promises, none of the GMO traits currently on the market offer increased yield, drought tolerance,
 enhanced nutrition, or any other consumer benefit.
Meanwhile, a growing body of evidence connects GMOs with health problems, environmental damage and violation of farmers’ and consumers’ rights.

Among the many reasons 90% of what I eat is locally grown.
st4nl3y
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:07:36 PM

my brother's gf is obsessively against gmo foods, she only eats raw fruit and veg grown locally.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 11:43:31 PM

Some GMO is harmless, it's just a twist on evolution.
Other GMO is horrific, like crops with the pesticide "programmed" into the seeds.

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 12:20:50 AM

conspiracy?

google eugenica bill gates  Shocked http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TyAJZVARPw

w o w
Cheesy Cheesy

Zealous Zero

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:26:59 AM

My father has been talking about this GMO food, he calls it "trangenic-food" though.

Either way I look at it, we're screwed whenever corporate officials make lucrative decisions and have the wealth to manipulate the world into thinking its for the best, regardless of the outcome.
But hey, if it gets too bad they can always give us a "We're sorry" speech.
Bonam

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:04:59 PM

For the sake of argument lets say there is no war like you say.... what about Fukushima? Almost half of the worlds oceans are devoid of life because of this, and 15 out of 15 tuna contain elevated levels of radiation, but nukes are great right!?

Er... care to provide a citation for that claim? Half of the world's oceans are most certainly not "devoid of life" and certainly not because of Fukushima.
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:06:16 PM
Last edit: March 26, 2014, 05:18:05 PM by hdbuck

For the sake of argument lets say there is no war like you say.... what about Fukushima? Almost half of the worlds oceans are devoid of life because of this, and 15 out of 15 tuna contain elevated levels of radiation, but nukes are great right!?

Er... care to provide a citation for that claim? Half of the world's oceans are most certainly not "devoid of life" and certainly not because of Fukushima.

dude, don't argue.

-> http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/10/fukushima-operator-dump-contaminated-water-pacific
-> http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/08/130807-fukushima-radioactive-water-leak/

like a cancer that will spread into the Earth's lungs (eg. oceans):

we're fucked. Cheesy
Bonam

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:08:00 PM

Decades in a very short period.  Several civilizations have collapsed due to internal tensions - for example Western Europe regressed after the collapse of the Roman Empire and apparently the population of Rome itself fell over 80%. 

Certainly civilizations can and do fall all the time, but other civilizations continue. I agree that decades is a short period, but what historical record we have suggests that nuclear technology decreases the likelihood of warfare rather than increases it, due to the threat of mutually assured destruction, which is what kept the cold war, cold.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:18:13 PM

dude, don't argue.

-> http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/10/fukushima-operator-dump-contaminated-water-pacific
-> http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/08/130807-fukushima-radioactive-water-leak/

we're fucked. Cheesy

Fukushima is something to be very concerned about.
The lack of updates in the U.S. media is also "interesting".

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 05:23:05 PM

dude, don't argue.

we're fucked. Cheesy

Fukushima is something to be very concerned about.
The lack of updates in the U.S. media is also "interesting".

whilst its impossible to shut down the reactors, the only solution they came up with is building huge ice walls to surround them Cheesy
skeet

Activity: 190

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:21:22 AM

According to some research and studies there are risks and dangers of consuming GMO foods it can create unpredicted allergies, antibiotic resistant diseases, toxins and health problems.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 12:11:07 PM

According to some research and studies there are risks and dangers of consuming GMO foods it can create unpredicted allergies, antibiotic resistant diseases, toxins and health problems.

A large part of the problem is GMO is such a new untested idea that not only have all the long term side effects not been mapped yet, but because of the nature of GMO foods activating dormant genetic triggers in some but not all people means the effects are less predictable and effect people on a more individual level, making documentation of these problems even more difficult. In this way the problems are irregular enough for them to have plausible deniability for any damages caused. Just as the medical industry uses us as guinea pigs for new and dangerous pharmaceuticals, we are also being used to test GMOs. When the medical effects appear they have enough question in the causal relationship to claim they are not sure, forcing massively complicated large scale double blind studies to demonstrate destructive effect to be created and funded just to conclusively demonstrate the danger. The more ways they can claim it "could be" something else, the less liability they have.
CryptoREI

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:19:48 PM

I live in the USA and when given the choice to buy GMO foods or not, I choose organic every time. Is GMO ok for some things like medicine of course... But growing mutant foods I do not agree with. Eat a tomato from the store and then eat one from a organic garden, you will be amazed.

quicksalehelp.com
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:31:45 PM

I don't think that GMO food is good for us!GMOs, are created when a gene from one species is transferred to another, creating something that would not be found in nature.What can\t be found in nature,is impossible to be digested by our body.....from here it starts all the illness,the weight problems,cancer..........GMOs are not the answer for global food security

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:49:40 PM

I live in the USA and when given the choice to buy GMO foods or not, I choose organic every time. Is GMO ok for some things like medicine of course... But growing mutant foods I do not agree with. Eat a tomato from the store and then eat one from a organic garden, you will be amazed.

Sounds good.
Organic foods are way too expensive.
I am going to need higher income ASAP.

CryptoREI

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:58:57 PM

Sounds good.

I do farmers markets as much as possible you can get things a little cheaper, it might not be 100% organic all the time but its also not shelf ripe veggies either.
http://www.isaaa.org/resources/publications/pocketk/12/default.asp

But I do enjoy to garden myself I must say and that is the best of the best Smiley

quicksalehelp.com
protokol
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:01:15 PM
Merited by Foxpup (6)

conspiracy?

I'm aware of Bill Gates' comments re: world population and that his grandfather was into eugenics. That doesn't make him a eugenicist. And it certainly doesn't mean that there is a conspiracy whereby Gates/Monsanto are cultivating GM crops to purposefully cause sterilization in any group of people.

Yes, he has invested heavily in sterilization and contraception programmes, as he believes (quite rightly IMO) that the world population is rising uncontrollably. His comments about population control are often taken out of context. For example, he said:

"Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that [world population] by perhaps 10 or 15 percent”

He does not mean that vaccines will kill off 10-15% of people (they would not be very good vaccines if they killed people rather than saving them). His opinion is that saving more children will cause many people in poor countries to give birth to LESS children, as their children will be far more likely to live until adulthood.

It is a well known fact that currently, poor countries have a much higher birth rate than developed countries.

Anyway, back on topic, here is a really informative article trying to look at both sides of the GMO debate, it's worth a read whether you're pro or anti GMO:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-truth-about-genetically-modified-food/

A couple of quotes from the article:

Critics often disparage U.S. research on the safety of genetically modified foods, which is often funded or even conducted by GM companies, such as Monsanto. But much research on the subject comes from the European Commission, the administrative body of the E.U., which cannot be so easily dismissed as an industry tool. The European Commission has funded 130 research projects, carried out by more than 500 independent teams, on the safety of GM crops. None of those studies found any special risks from GM crops.

Some scientists say the objections to GM food stem from politics rather than science—that they are motivated by an objection to large multinational corporations having enormous influence over the food supply; invoking risks from genetic modification just provides a convenient way of whipping up the masses against industrial agriculture. “This has nothing to do with science,” Goldberg says. “It's about ideology.” Former anti-GM activist Lynas agrees. He recently went as far as labeling the anti-GM crowd “explicitly an antiscience movement.”

Ever heard of "Golden Rice"? This is a genetically modified strain of rice which contains large amounts of vitamin A. Millions in poor countries die and go blind from vitamin A deficiency every year, so some clever people thought they'd make GM rice to try to help these people cheaply and effectively.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24515938

Unfortunately, anti-GM activists (like Greenpeace) have spread so much misinformation regarding this strain of rice, that crops are readily destroyed by locals, as they believe that they are dangerous. There has been no scientific evidence to show this, but groups like Greenpeace seem to think they know better.

Again, I don't like the idea that huge multinational corporations like Monsanto are so powerful that they can basically do what they want, filing patents and planting crops with no regard for local farmers etc.  And I think they do need to be careful with issues like cross-pollination.

But this idea that GM crops are inherently dangerous simply hasn't been proven - there is overwhelming evidence that they are safe.

And this idea that GM crops are part of some kind of global sterilization conspiracy is laughable - please show some real evidence for this if you can.

By the way, I try to eat as much organic, locally sourced food as I can. I think it generally tastes better and I like to support local farmers, even if it does cost me a bit more, and I don't like the idea of too many pesticides being used as it can affect the local eco-system, and supports huge chemical companies. But on the other hand I have no problems whatsoever with eating GM food. I have found that shitty processed food (like cheap white bread, and crap burgers/pizza/"meat") doesn't seem to agree with me, but this is down to how the food is manufactured and processed, not whether it contains GMO or not.

CryptoREI

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:20:26 PM

I understand the feed the world stand point, but like has been said before we have not the slightest idea of long term problems that could be caused by this. If we ever find it to be a problem it may be to late due to the cross breeding of strains. I would have less problems with it if it was tested like they test medicine and it should be they are both consumed.

quicksalehelp.com
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 10:34:02 PM

I understand the feed the world stand point, but like has been said before we have not the slightest idea of long term problems that could be caused by this. If we ever find it to be a problem it may be to late due to the cross breeding of strains. I would have less problems with it if it was tested like they test medicine and it should be they are both consumed.
  The very problem is that GMOs are tested just like medicine. The company creates a product, does their own testing with no oversight, pays the FDA's salary via filing fees, then submits their "safe" results to the FDA for rubber stamp approval.
mycoin254

Activity: 52

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 03:19:21 AM

Dude, don't need naked irony.Genetically modified, both good and bad things.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 03:57:20 AM

Sounds good.

I do farmers markets as much as possible you can get things a little cheaper, it might not be 100% organic all the time but its also not shelf ripe veggies either.
http://www.isaaa.org/resources/publications/pocketk/12/default.asp

But I do enjoy to garden myself I must say and that is the best of the best Smiley

I had a garden twice several years ago.
Should do it again soon, thanks for the reminder.

mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 06:29:29 AM

conspiracy?

I'm aware of Bill Gates' comments re: world population and that his grandfather was into eugenics. That doesn't make him a eugenicist. And it certainly doesn't mean that there is a conspiracy whereby Gates/Monsanto are cultivating GM crops to purposefully cause sterilization in any group of people.

Yes, he has invested heavily in sterilization and contraception programmes, as he believes (quite rightly IMO) that the world population is rising uncontrollably. His comments about population control are often taken out of context. For example, he said:

"Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that [world population] by perhaps 10 or 15 percent”

He does not mean that vaccines will kill off 10-15% of people (they would not be very good vaccines if they killed people rather than saving them). His opinion is that saving more children will cause many people in poor countries to give birth to LESS children, as their children will be far more likely to live until adulthood.

It is a well known fact that currently, poor countries have a much higher birth rate than developed countries.

Anyway, back on topic, here is a really informative article trying to look at both sides of the GMO debate, it's worth a read whether you're pro or anti GMO:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-truth-about-genetically-modified-food/

Critics often disparage U.S. research on the safety of genetically modified foods, which is often funded or even conducted by GM companies, such as Monsanto. But much research on the subject comes from the European Commission, the administrative body of the E.U., which cannot be so easily dismissed as an industry tool. The European Commission has funded 130 research projects, carried out by more than 500 independent teams, on the safety of GM crops. None of those studies found any special risks from GM crops.

Some scientists say the objections to GM food stem from politics rather than science—that they are motivated by an objection to large multinational corporations having enormous influence over the food supply; invoking risks from genetic modification just provides a convenient way of whipping up the masses against industrial agriculture. “This has nothing to do with science,” Goldberg says. “It's about ideology.” Former anti-GM activist Lynas agrees. He recently went as far as labeling the anti-GM crowd “explicitly an antiscience movement.”

Ever heard of "Golden Rice"? This is a genetically modified strain of rice which contains large amounts of vitamin A. Millions in poor countries die and go blind from vitamin A deficiency every year, so some clever people thought they'd make GM rice to try to help these people cheaply and effectively.

Unfortunately, anti-GM activists (like Greenpeace) have spread so much misinformation regarding this strain of rice, that crops are readily destroyed by locals, as they believe that they are dangerous. There has been no scientific evidence to show this, but groups like Greenpeace seem to think they know better.

Again, I don't like the idea that huge multinational corporations like Monsanto are so powerful that they can basically do what they want, filing patents and planting crops with no regard for local farmers etc.  And I think they do need to be careful with issues like cross-pollination.

But this idea that GM crops are inherently dangerous simply hasn't been proven - there is overwhelming evidence that they are safe.

And this idea that GM crops are part of some kind of global sterilization conspiracy is laughable - please show some real evidence for this if you can.

By the way, I try to eat as much organic, locally sourced food as I can. I think it generally tastes better and I like to support local farmers, even if it does cost me a bit more, and I don't like the idea of too many pesticides being used as it can affect the local eco-system, and supports huge chemical companies. But on the other hand I have no problems whatsoever with eating GM food. I have found that shitty processed food (like cheap white bread, and crap burgers/pizza/"meat") doesn't seem to agree with me, but this is down to how the food is manufactured and processed, not whether it contains GMO or not.

Gates is testing poisons in Africa.

I hope that soon will be end of USD as world currency, and that democracy will come into USA.
Now you have a very bad communism (you have 2 same political parties) without socialism.
It's very dangerus

IOTA
coincoin3

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 08:04:13 AM

conspiracy?

I hope that soon will be end of USD as world currency, and that democracy will come into USA.
Now you have a very bad communism (you have 2 same political parties) without socialism.
It's very dangerus
You're right, I agree with your point of view.
bythesea

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 04:50:27 PM

Lets face it, if that is remotely true being afraid now and bashing your head now is just pointless. Im 100% sure that I will be dead long before I hit old age ( 70s ) so changing my life and way i live it ( eating, drinking even if i don;t drink Coca-Cola exept Monster Smiley ) wont fix problems.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 07:33:45 PM

Lets face it, if that is remotely true being afraid now and bashing your head now is just pointless. Im 100% sure that I will be dead long before I hit old age ( 70s ) so changing my life and way i live it ( eating, drinking even if i don;t drink Coca-Cola exept Monster Smiley ) wont fix problems.

Enjoy your short life.
You will (probably) get what you desire.

protokol
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 12:23:40 PM

Source? And I don't mean a youtube video where a person says this, I mean a real, reputable source.
Leogheo

Activity: 93

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 12:49:34 PM

I don't think that GMO food is good for us!GMOs, are created when a gene from one species is transferred to another, creating something that would not be found in nature.What can\t be found in nature,is impossible to be digested by our body.....from here it starts all the illness,the weight problems,cancer..........GMOs are not the answer for global food security

Totally agree  with you but the problem is that there is too many people on the earth so it is impossible to feed everyone with good organic food! So GMO is like a decision on how to feed 7,000,000,000 people
Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 05:46:10 PM

... but the problem is that there is too many people on the earth so it is impossible to feed everyone with good organic food! So GMO is like a decision on how to feed 7,000,000,000 people
Um, no. There are better ways.
Better tools and better education for the poor farmers in africa for example.
Or stop throwing away 50% of all food.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 06:49:48 PM

... but the problem is that there is too many people on the earth so it is impossible to feed everyone with good organic food! So GMO is like a decision on how to feed 7,000,000,000 people
Um, no. There are better ways.
Better tools and better education for the poor farmers in africa for example.
Or stop throwing away 50% of all food.

Yes, GMO is not the best solution.
Much of the GMO is about power, money, and control of choices.

counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:06:03 AM

Many I hope every post in this thread is showing full support to the OP because anything else seems like it would be somewhat a waste of time to me, generally speaking.
protokol
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:09:11 PM
Merited by Foxpup (1)

Many I hope every post in this thread is showing full support to the OP because anything else seems like it would be somewhat a waste of time to me, generally speaking.

So It's a waste of time to call people out on misinformation?

If this thread had been advocating neo-naziism and ethnic cleansing would it still be a waste of time to not show full support?

I thought the idea of threads like these, was to get opinions and facts from all sides of the discussion, so people can get a more balanced view; due to the "filter search bubble", more and more people seem to get their information skewed and all from similar sources, rather than seeing the whole picture. This ted talk is well worth a watch:

http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles

I make a point of using "duckduckgo" or similar when I'm investigating issues such as these.

PS if you were trolling, then well done, you got me  Grin

BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:55:53 PM

Everything on bitcointalk gets taken to the extreme
BitcoinINV

CryptoREI

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 01:06:39 AM

I am planting my non-gmo garden this week  Grin

quicksalehelp.com
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:52:35 AM

[snip]

Totally agree  with you but the problem is that there is too many people on the earth so it is impossible to feed everyone with good organic food! So GMO is like a decision on how to feed 7,000,000,000 people

Actually GMO is used to make sure there is less food.  Good luck arguing that terminator plants which don't produce seeds are part of a humanitarian campaign to feed the planet. 
Swordsoffreedom
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1115

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 05:17:48 AM

[snip]

Actually GMO is used to make sure there is less food.  Good luck arguing that terminator plants which don't produce seeds are part of a humanitarian campaign to feed the planet. 

I agree with that terminator seeds killing other crops so that the corporations and GMO can sell the farmers fertilizer and receive a cut of all their future revenues by forcing them to buy their seeds and nutrients making them dependent on them for their livelihood and at the same time killing their soil quality and bees to boot.

That is pretty hardcore evil right there

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:07:43 AM

I agree with that terminator seeds killing other crops so that the corporations and GMO can sell the farmers fertilizer and receive a cut of all their future revenues by forcing them to buy their seeds and nutrients making them dependent on them for their livelihood and at the same time killing their soil quality and bees to boot.

Terminator seeds don't kill other crops, they terminate their own reproduction. They're just sterile seeds. Basically the conversation went like this:

"But what if the GMOs reproduce out of control and take over the whole ecosystem? That's terrible!"
"No, it's okay, we can just engineer them so that the seeds are sterile and they can't reproduce. See? Problem solved!"
"But then farmers will have to keep buying seeds! That's terrible!"
"Dammit, is there no pleasing you people?"
"No. No, there isn't."

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 07:52:24 AM

Terminator seeds don't kill other crops, they terminate their own reproduction. They're just sterile seeds. Basically the conversation went like this:

"But what if the GMOs reproduce out of control and take over the whole ecosystem? That's terrible!"
"No, it's okay, we can just engineer them so that the seeds are sterile and they can't reproduce. See? Problem solved!"
"No. No, there isn't."
How about they simply stop trying to destroy natural ecosystems purposely so they can sell them back to us? That would make me happy.
Valle

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:35:14 PM

"No. No, there isn't."
Even if scientists will figure out how to make GMO food without a single DNA/RNA inside they will cry that is the most horrible DNA modification ever, don't waste your time :-)
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 08:04:30 AM

New functions for 'junk' DNA? www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-03/asop-nff033114.php
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:19:42 PM

If this thread had been advocating neo-naziism and ethnic cleansing would it still be a waste of time to not show full support?

I thought the idea of threads like these, was to get opinions and facts from all sides of the discussion, so people can get a more balanced view; due to the "filter search bubble", more and more people seem to get their information skewed and all from similar sources, rather than seeing the whole picture. This ted talk is well worth a watch:

I make a point of using "duckduckgo" or similar when I'm investigating issues such as these.

heh, no I was not trolling friend.  I made the mistake of assuming what people would post in this topic without reading it fully and making bad jugdement call on my part.  You are more then right to correct me and make your points.  However I think you misunderstood where I was coming from and what I was trying to say. 
bitcoin4eva

Activity: 328

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:21:31 PM

I don't use gmo!
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 07:22:15 PM

I like GMO Smiley they can produce better food Tongue

hehe Smiley Like BUGE strawberry Smiley ohmohmo Smiley
protokol
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:08:57 PM

heh, no I was not trolling friend.  I made the mistake of assuming what people would post in this topic without reading it fully and making bad jugdement call on my part.  You are more then right to correct me and make your points.  However I think you misunderstood where I was coming from and what I was trying to say. 

Ah yes apologies, I reread your post and I think I get what you meant now!

I am guilty of often taking threads like these a bit seriously  Cheesy
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:10:27 AM

this is USA democracy

http://rt.com/usa/gmo-labeling-koch-monsanto-249/

IOTA
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 11:13:36 AM

USA is supposed to be a constitutional republic.
Balthazar
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:57:25 AM

http://rt.com/news/russia-import-gmo-products-621/

Somebody already said his "No"  Roll Eyes
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 11:54:12 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 05:55:57 AM by TECSHARE

Some long non-coding RNAs are conventional after all www.embo.org/news/research-news/research-news-2014/some-long-non-coding-rnas-are-conventional-after-all

Our understanding of the science and application of genetic engineering is changing constantly. No person who seriously considers themselves a scientist can guarantee GMO foods are 100% certainly safe with a straight face. How can I know this? Because genetic engineering is an extremely new field of study with constant shifts in understanding about how we assume these organisms work. The fact is, most of the time WE DON'T KNOW.

To even lower the standard of evidence, there are very few long term studies on the effects of consuming GMO foods past 6 months, and the ones that do exist are not pretty. This means the safety of consuming GMO foods over a long period of time is an ASSUMPTION, not even backed with empirical data. Additionally almost all of the short term studies are funded by the very entities who stand to profit if approved! Would you let General Motors engineer your car given their recently exposed lack of safety standards? Then why would you let Monsanto engineer your dinner? Neither one of them would give $0.57 to safe your life.
Swordsoffreedom
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 10:51:19 PM

"No. No, there isn't."

That's true although they also do not sustain the soil which is why you need to buy more fertilizers and end up with a cycle of dependency on their products in the end.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:58:13 AM

If GMO is OK for eat why the big GMO producer are fighting against labeling their junk (food, drinks.....)?

IOTA
Monetizer

Activity: 812

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:12:54 AM

To be honest GMO has both it's good and bad uses. I do not believe we should be using it in fresh produce and things but at the same time with more yield being produced it does help lower the cost of food for lower class people.
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:40:26 AM

http://rt.com/usa/congress-considers-blocking-gmo-labeling-480/

made in USA

IOTA
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:40:43 AM

Another reason to stay away from corn and beef which are imported from the US and Canada. Are these people this much stupid? Even if they hide the GMO label, people will find it somehow.
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:48:26 AM

Another reason to stay away from corn and beef which are imported from the US and Canada. Are these people this much stupid? Even if they hide the GMO label, people will find it somehow.

i don't think they are stupid, but they dont have reality in their media

IOTA
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 03:11:16 PM

They don't want to label there foods GMO because they'll lose profits.
Every house and apartment should have their own gardens on roof to provide food for its inhabitants. it would be free. it would be healthy. prices would not be manipulated to where 3rd world countries export tobacco and coffee and import expensive foodcrops . this is how humanity has lived for 10,000 years. grow your own!

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 03:15:36 PM

Every house and apartment should have their own gardens on roof to provide food for its inhabitants. it would be free. it would be healthy. prices would not be manipulated to where 3rd world countries export tobacco and coffee and import expensive foodcrops . this is how humanity has lived for 10,000 years. grow your own!

Well... I am not sure whether everyone can grow all the food that they need. But boycotting GMO and encouraging organic food might be a way to move forward.  Grin
atias

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:55:57 PM

I say NO !
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 06:35:19 PM

Well... I am not sure whether everyone can grow all the food that they need. But boycotting GMO and encouraging organic food might be a way to move forward.  Grin

yes I totally agree with you! Smiley Sure - there are always bad and good things that it will bring.
Valle

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 06:40:51 PM

I say NO !

Don't talk to food.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 02:49:44 AM

I say NO !

You can't say NO, if you don't know which of the food products available at the local supermarket is genetically modified and which ones are organic. May be you should chose according to the brands... that too is risky.
Swordsoffreedom
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 06:23:53 AM

I say NO !

You can't say NO, if you don't know which of the food products available at the local supermarket is genetically modified and which ones are organic. May be you should chose according to the brands... that too is risky.

I kind of worry though that its called organic but really isn't more than if it is GMO
That said sometimes you can tell what is GMO if it just tastes awful recalls some purple grapes.
Really nasty skin and the taste went into the whole grape as well.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
mladen00 (OP)
Legendary

K-ing®

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:56:35 AM

I say NO !

I kind of worry though that its called organic but really isn't more than if it is GMO
That said sometimes you can tell what is GMO if it just tastes awful recalls some purple grapes.

I'm sure monsato will sell grapes with a taste of vine Smiley

IOTA
Swordsoffreedom
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 06:58:20 AM

I say NO !

I'm sure monsato will sell grapes with a taste of vine Smiley

As long as they don't start selling fine wine we should be fine or My Lord I feel bad for the person who drinks from that orchard the vintage 10 years later. Would likely be among the nastiest bitterest things you could taste.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Balthazar
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 12:58:28 PM

http://rt.com/politics/261985-russia-gmo-prison-law/
Nationalists ponder prison sentences for selling unmarked GMO products

A number of Russian MPs have suggested altering the current legislation and introducing criminal responsibility for illegal trade in GMO products. The idea is to mete out prison terms of up to two years for repeated offenders.

The bill tightening the rules for selling genetically modified products has been prepared by lawmakers representing the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, known for its nationalist stance. The draft has already been forwarded to the government and Supreme Court for assessment, and it will then be submitted to parliament.

If passed the bill would amend the existing article of the criminal code that orders punishment for concealing any information about potential hazards for human life and health. It would include violation of the rules for marking goods containing GMO material. Those found guilty would face fines of up to 300,000 rubles (about $6000), or up to two years in prison or penal labor. The bill specifies that, depending on the crime’s circumstances, the punishment could be applied to the head of the company and the workers involved in the violations.

Currently, improper labeling of GMO products is punished by fines ranging between 20,000 and 50,000 rubles ($400 – $1,000) for individual entrepreneurs and between 100,000 and 500,000 rubles ($2,000 – $10,000) for companies. The law regulating the turnover of GMO was first introduced in Russia in 2007. It requires clearly visible indication on all goods containing 0.9 percent of genetically modified organisms by weight.

One of the sponsors of the new bill, MP Kirill Cherkasov, said in comments to the Izvestia daily that the document was necessary until experts release full scientific research on the effects of GMO on human health. He added the current practice could lead to abuse, as sometimes the profits from selling unmarked GMO products can potentially cover even heavy fines.

Experts who took part in developing the bill also said that producers often sent “clean” products for government evaluation, but sold cheaper products with GMO content on the mass market.

According to the government statistics overview released in 2014, the share of GMO in the Russian food industry has declined from 12 percent to just 0.01 percent over the past 10 years, and currently there are just 57 registered food products containing GMO.

In February 2014, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev held a government session dedicated to the problem. He said Russia will create its own research base for genetically modified organisms that would provide the authorities with expert information and allow for further legislative measures and executive decisions.

Medvedev also warned against perceiving GMO products as “absolute evil,” but said the government didn’t support their use in the food industry.
Alex_ZZX
Legendary

Activity: 1273

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 08:41:15 PM

A number of Russian MPs have suggested altering the current legislation and introducing criminal responsibility for illegal trade in GMO products. The idea is to mete out prison terms of up to two years for repeated offenders.

It would be very good if the governments of all countries entered similar laws.

It is necessary to forbid GMO products in all countries.
miki77miki

Activity: 476

stop kidding me

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2015, 02:12:18 AM

Humans have been genetically modifying foods for better yields forever, I do agree that I have the right to know if what I am eating is genetically modified (and more specifically how) I wouldn't even think about a ban on the stuff unless extensive research has been done.
hardfork1

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 04:14:50 AM

I could be nuts on this.  But if we can grow more and bigger crops, maybe stop some from starving that is good.

I mean do you want to put nothing on it and let bugs eat up all your crops?   You can get very very natural.  But I think the extra yield is worth the cost.
bumbarash
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 02:52:11 PM

NO GMO!
GMO is evil!
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2015, 04:03:11 PM

Regardless of how one thinks about it, everyone has to have the right to choice. And simply sponsoring some studies that claim that GMO is the same like any other Organism, is needed in order to rule that marking them is illegal because it lowers the profit. Unfair market advantage.

And now the US is in debates about TTIP and other free trade agreements that will lead to other countries follow the same rule. Otherwise they will be sued at corporate courts. Governments then only has the chance to bough to the companies. Otherwise they will have to pay high fines if they lose.

This more and more looks like a take over of world governments through companies. And the politicians are submissive helpers. Of course when they see the nice job in the future.

The current situation reminds me on these scifi movies. Companies rule directly. I hope these movies are wong.

By the way... these great GMOs did nothing like they should have done. Multiresistences build up. Now they build even harder venoms to kill multiresistent weed. Even though these venoms are found in humans now and knowing that they, for example, can damage unborn childs. The promising world of GMO is so colorful. The truth is nothing like it.

And if it would be handled like insuline production, i wouldnt care. But GMO is no medicine and they grow it practically without protection.

This report from the International Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for Development (IAASTD) might be interesting to some who think its the solution to everything: http://apps.unep.org/publications/pmtdocuments/Agriculture_at_a_Crossroads_Global_Report.pdf

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 05:48:02 PM

I could be nuts on this.  But if we can grow more and bigger crops, maybe stop some from starving that is good.

Higher yields can be achieved with normal crops as well. But right now, the major GMO producers such as Monsanto and Cargill are forming a monopoly, and they are almost forcing the farmers to use their GMO seeds. For example, smaller corn farmers in the USA, who use traditional seeds have been facing harassment from Monsanto for many decades now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: