Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:29:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 [217] 218 219 220 221 222 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 355593 times)
dlowings

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:32:37 PM

with new firmware improves the stability of mining?

doubt there will be any new firmware on a unit this far out of the production cycle … "unless they come out with a upgrade" Please run the last firmware they have on their site … It has issues but its your best bet ..

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:28:18 PM

with new firmware improves the stability of mining?
I'm running Kano's S2 update for months without issues: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/tree/master/AntS2

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
fresca

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:53:40 PM

the kill-a-watt I have is showing at 1115 Watts at the wall.  Since just moving the box it has been shutting off quickly.  The only other thing that I have done is update the firmware a while back and have it set at 196M and 725 Volts.  I have a 18 gauge computer cable that showed some wear on one of the terminals.  I ordered a 14 gauge cable to replace it.  There's some dust inside, but other than that I'm not sure what is going on.  Anyone have this problem.  I'm close to retiring it anyway, but would still like to know if it works fine (and safe) until I shut it off completely.

What voltage and frequency were you running before? If you're getting 1115W at the wall then you're very close to maxing the PSU. (as are stock S2s though).

It's always been stock frequency and voltage.  So I'm not really sure why its doing that.  In addition, the watts start out at 1090 and then increase after thirty minutes to 1132.  After this at some point it shuts off.  I'm not an expert on electronics, but could this be something that would be caused by one, the 18 gauge power cable?  Or dust in the S2?  Or do you think it is the update I made to the firmware?
Did you replace the cable before you moved the box? Was it working fine with the new cable before you moved it? I'd suggest trying the old cable for an hour to eliminate that possibility.

If you see dust in the miner then there is probably more in there than you think, I'd suggest taking the boards out and cleaning them off with a damp cloth. You'll be surprised how dirty they get and what a difference it makes to the fan speed after a decent cleaning.

At this point I'm a bit stumped.  I have tested it several times using the following.  The old cord, a new 14awg computer cable, and compressed air cleaned the boards, moved the miner to several different outlets.  The same occurs on all miner starts off around 1080 watts and climbs to 1125-30 and abrubtly shuts off.  I've reset the boards, I am using the new firmware.  I've rebooted it from the gui.  I tried the reset button on the outside of the box and for some reason I couldn't get the button to work, not sure where that leaves me.  At this point I have a seemingly functioning miner that increases watts until it exceeds the internal psu and shuts off.  I have not used Kano firmware, but did mod something quite a while back to change something from (not frequency) but some other function to 1 that would reduce HW errors.  However the miner has run exceptionally well for at least six months since that time.  Any ideas of what it could be electrically that could cause an increase in watts from the boards?
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 10:08:51 PM

the kill-a-watt I have is showing at 1115 Watts at the wall.  Since just moving the box it has been shutting off quickly.  The only other thing that I have done is update the firmware a while back and have it set at 196M and 725 Volts.  I have a 18 gauge computer cable that showed some wear on one of the terminals.  I ordered a 14 gauge cable to replace it.  There's some dust inside, but other than that I'm not sure what is going on.  Anyone have this problem.  I'm close to retiring it anyway, but would still like to know if it works fine (and safe) until I shut it off completely.

What voltage and frequency were you running before? If you're getting 1115W at the wall then you're very close to maxing the PSU. (as are stock S2s though).

It's always been stock frequency and voltage.  So I'm not really sure why its doing that.  In addition, the watts start out at 1090 and then increase after thirty minutes to 1132.  After this at some point it shuts off.  I'm not an expert on electronics, but could this be something that would be caused by one, the 18 gauge power cable?  Or dust in the S2?  Or do you think it is the update I made to the firmware?
Did you replace the cable before you moved the box? Was it working fine with the new cable before you moved it? I'd suggest trying the old cable for an hour to eliminate that possibility.

If you see dust in the miner then there is probably more in there than you think, I'd suggest taking the boards out and cleaning them off with a damp cloth. You'll be surprised how dirty they get and what a difference it makes to the fan speed after a decent cleaning.

At this point I'm a bit stumped.  I have tested it several times using the following.  The old cord, a new 14awg computer cable, and compressed air cleaned the boards, moved the miner to several different outlets.  The same occurs on all miner starts off around 1080 watts and climbs to 1125-30 and abrubtly shuts off.  I've reset the boards, I am using the new firmware.  I've rebooted it from the gui.  I tried the reset button on the outside of the box and for some reason I couldn't get the button to work, not sure where that leaves me.  At this point I have a seemingly functioning miner that increases watts until it exceeds the internal psu and shuts off.  I have not used Kano firmware, but did mod something quite a while back to change something from (not frequency) but some other function to 1 that would reduce HW errors.  However the miner has run exceptionally well for at least six months since that time.  Any ideas of what it could be electrically that could cause an increase in watts from the boards?

Have you been able to underclock after booting to see if you can get it to stay up?

fresca

Activity: 69

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 04:36:07 AM

Have you been able to underclock after booting to see if you can get it to stay up?

only what is available in the gui.  I think it was 196M ? I don't have it running right now, but from what I could tell from the firmware upgrade there were three settings.  The middle being default.  The lowest setting had no effect.  I ran it again today after doing a manual reset of it from the led panel and the same thing happens.  Does the S2 run at 1000W consistently or is even my first watt meter showing 1090 too high for the miner to be at.  Maybe it is the PSU, something with it.  I looked at the cables and such and couldn't find anything unusual.  There was some wear on the fabric covering the large on power cable, but that was from being bent.  It's got to be something with the PSU or the controller firmware/board at the base and/or the beaglebone (i think that is what it is).
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 02:24:49 PM

only what is available in the gui.  I think it was 196M ? I don't have it running right now, but from what I could tell from the firmware upgrade there were three settings.  The middle being default.  The lowest setting had no effect.  I ran it again today after doing a manual reset of it from the led panel and the same thing happens.  Does the S2 run at 1000W consistently or is even my first watt meter showing 1090 too high for the miner to be at.  Maybe it is the PSU, something with it.  I looked at the cables and such and couldn't find anything unusual.  There was some wear on the fabric covering the large on power cable, but that was from being bent.  It's got to be something with the PSU or the controller firmware/board at the base and/or the beaglebone (i think that is what it is).
At this point I would think it's the psu... mine died after the 2 months and it would also run for a few minutes and shut off (I don't have a killawatt). I had it replaced by Bitmain and it's been running perfectly since.

You could try removing one or two of the boards and see how well it runs like that.... that's what I did while waiting for my replacement psu.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 03:31:21 PM

At this point I would think it's the psu... mine died after the 2 months and it would also run for a few minutes and shut off (I don't have a killawatt). I had it replaced by Bitmain and it's been running perfectly since.

You could try removing one or two of the boards and see how well it runs like that.... that's what I did while waiting for my replacement psu.

Its better than nothing, although it also reduces stress on controller and the backpane. Only real way to know is get another PSU to test the S2 separately.

fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:48:31 PM

I have a S2 backplane for sale, pm me if interested.  All 10 slots work, however one of the pcie connectors is damaged.  This Backplane was from a batch 1 S2 (before the psu intake was cut out of the case).  I ran 10 cards heavily underclocked on this Backplane without issue.  Someone with skills could also repair it.

AbuGarcia

Activity: 72

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 05:32:02 PM

hasnt everyone with an S2 shut it down already??

0.30USD per day is hardly worth it, is it?

no I'm running all of mine still, but what is annoying is that they take 1100w each and that is double the s5, so my actual capacity becomes limited.  but they can be had super cheap.  so for me it's 1 th for 150 bucks, so per th it's not a bad deal.  I just loose opportunity cost.  
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 09:40:42 PM

If you don't mind Hosted Mining Power, you can enjoy 2TH/s for $350.  ($175/TH with S4)

http://www.hashnest.com   <=== HashNest.Com is Owned and Operated by Bitmain

no I'm running all of mine still, but what is annoying is that they take 1100w each and that is double the s5, so my actual capacity becomes limited.  but they can be had super cheap.  so for me it's 1 th for 150 bucks, so per th it's not a bad deal.  I just loose opportunity cost.  

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
AbuGarcia

Activity: 72

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 10:38:40 PM

If you don't mind Hosted Mining Power, you can enjoy 2TH/s for $350.  ($175/TH with S4)

Agreed but maintenance fee is killer. 
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2015, 01:25:10 AM

no I'm running all of mine still, but what is annoying is that they take 1100w each and that is double the s5, so my actual capacity becomes limited.  but they can be had super cheap.  so for me it's 1 th for 150 bucks, so per th it's not a bad deal.  I just loose opportunity cost. 

Can also get to hashnest.com via hashne.st and minerlink.com via miner.link for short. Both are controller by me but both DNS direct to the full sites.

freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 06:21:55 AM

I wasn't very impressed with the offerings from Bitmain after the S2, so it's all I have at the moment... solo mining at CK's pool to see how much luck I have Wink

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
freebit13

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 10:37:43 AM

I wasn't very impressed with the offerings from Bitmain after the S2, so it's all I have at the moment... solo mining at CK's pool to see how much luck I have Wink

yea, S2s were such a ballache i refused to play the 'throw more good money after bad' game any more.

BIG promises - not much else.

Glad to have severed all ties!
Yep, and I just can't support a supplier that is clearly competing with its customers in the market. I don't understand how people don't see that supporting them means they make more money and build bigger farms and push up the difficulty so everyone earns less... makes no logical sense at all.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
bbOOmm

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 07:26:04 PM

I don't know if this has been asked and solved - the search function in this forum is disabled at the moment....

I would like to have my S2's rotate through my list of 3 pools (3 different coins )....

SSHing into the S2, I tried adding ~~ "rotate" : "360" ~~  into the cgminer.conf file, but I cannot seem to get it to work. Depending on how I insert the command, after editing the cgminer.conf file, all the pool data in the MINER CONFIGURATION tab goes blank and has an unresponsive save button or after resetting cgminer, the cgminer.conf file reverts back to what it was before my edit.

Has anyone figured out a way to change the mining strategy on an S2?

Thanks

Hardware Version   2.2.3.0
Kernel Version   Linux 3.8.13 #1 SMP Fri Jan 17 23:04:23 CST 2014
File System Version   Wed Oct 29 10:13:19 CST 2014
Cgminer Version   4.6.1
bbOOmm

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 06:48:03 AM

Hmmm , seems like a dead thread....  Huh ...since the S5's came out.

I'll post how I got my S2 to rotate through the pools just in case someone else is also finding a creative way to power these S2's and have them remain profitable.

The standard residential electricity rate here is $0.13/kwh. To save money on electric, I'm using my electric Co's ~Time of Use~ plan. From 8am to 8pm, my electricity is $0.17/kwh - I don't mine then and really nothing is running in the house in the time period so it really does not matter. But, from 8pm to 8am, my electricity is a measily $0.05/kwh. Mining is profitable with that rate. The weekend is a little different - at 8pm Friday, the rate goes to $0.05 and stays there till 8am Monday. At $0.05/kwh and this BTC slump we endured, I was profitable all the way down with the exception to the very very bottom end of that exchange value slump where for a brief moment, I went RED.

My miners are set up on 240VAC, using Allen Bradley industrial controls, relays, contactors, terminal blocks etc, all that I found at auctions, flea markets and yard sales, the miners turn on automatically at 8PM and turn off at 8AM. All of this is in a NEMA enclosure and using current NEC code for the construction. (If the house burns down, they cannot point to my miner control panel because its built to 2014 NEC code ). I have a revision I need to install though. I'm finding that when the system turns on, the inrush of current must create a small brownout because occasionally one miner will not fully turn on and mine, it will just sit there, blank LCD and a red light till I unplug and re-plug. My revision is to add individual timers and relays for each miner. So, 8pm comes along, the scheduling timer energizes the mains contactor and one miner powers on, 2 seconds later the timer energizes a relay and another miner comes on, 2 seconds after that, another timer and relay etc etc. That will eliminate the inrush current brownout.

I guess I'm telling this because there is a slew of cheap azz equipment that could still be used for profit mining if your electric company has something similar to We Energies Time of Use rates.

So I have 12hrs of mining to play with and several different coins I'd like to mine. Having the S2 miners automatically rotate through the pools makes this somewhat complicated electricity/profitability situation into mostly unattended mining.

This is how I  got my Antminer S2's to play nice with the ROTATE command in cgminer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~SSH into your S2, I use Putty, but that is my preference, use whatever you like....

user - root
password - admin

cd /config

vi cgminer.conf

~~~~~press the letter I to edit the text and use the arrows to move around

~~~~~add a COMMA at the end of the last command line like so:

"bitmain-voltage" : "0750",

~~~~~I have my S2's running at 200mhz, I found that increasing the voltage a little stabilizes the HW errors a bit.

~~~~~Now add the following line:

"rotate" : "xxx"  

~~~~~ replace the xxx with how many minutes you want to mine on each pool

~~~~~press Esc

~~~~~press :

~~~~~enter the letters wq

~~~~~press the ENTER key

DONE! - well, almost.

You will notice that in the miners GUI - the Miner Configuration tab, everything went blank. That's ok.

!!! DO NOT HIT THE ~SAVE AND APPLY~ BUTTON !!!

You must do a SYSTEM RESET.... found in the SYSTEM tab.

Once your system resets, you will see that the Miner Configuration tab is back to having its data in the blocks.
If you want to see the ROTATE command working as a test, set the command as "rotate" : "5" then do the Esc : wq followed by the system reset. Then watch the Miner Status tab, the mining will switch pools every 5 minutes, you'll see the information changing on the different pools.

Don't forget to go back into cgminer.conf and edit the rotate command to the operational time you want.

Just for info, I have 3 pools entered, I have rotate set for 240 minutes.... every 240 minutes, the system switches pools, and by the time 8am rolls along, I have cycled through all 3 of the pools.

:-)
RCMco

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 03:31:20 PM

At the risk of asking a stupid question can someone please explain the following:

I have purchased 4 S2 units and flashed the firmware to the most current version. On the miner status tab there are some terms I am not really sure of and would like an explanation. I checked the manual and search online but couldn't find anything.

1)  What is the Diff1#, DiffA#, DiffR# and DiffS# ?   
2)  Also, in these columns there is a % in the HW row. Which percentage should I be concerned with about and what is a reasonable percentage?

NOTE: This may have been covered in a previous post but the forum search is down so I couldn't check without reading all 255 pages.

Thanks,
Michael
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 05:02:09 PM

At the risk of asking a stupid question can someone please explain the following:

I have purchased 4 S2 units and flashed the firmware to the most current version. On the miner status tab there are some terms I am not really sure of and would like an explanation. I checked the manual and search online but couldn't find anything.

1)  What is the Diff1#, DiffA#, DiffR# and DiffS# ?   
2)  Also, in these columns there is a % in the HW row. Which percentage should I be concerned with about and what is a reasonable percentage?

NOTE: This may have been covered in a previous post but the forum search is down so I couldn't check without reading all 255 pages.

Thanks,
Michael

Diff1 is how many shares submitted by the miner to the pool, in terms of difficulty 1 shares.
DiffA is how many of those were accepted.
DiffR is how many of those were rejected.
DiffS is how many of those were stale [submitted for a previous block, when the network has changed blocks.]

RCMco

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:53:04 PM

Thanks Dogie,

What do you think reasonable percentages are for the Diff1#, DiffA# on the HW line?

My S2 has been running for 2 hours and I am at:  2456  0.1358%  0.1506%

Thanks again.
Zelek Uther

Activity: 700
Merit: 504

Run a Bitcoin node.

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:56:10 PM

My S2 (batch 2) stopped running 78 hours ago, after running flawlessly for months. It has been hashing since 2014-04-17, the only thing I did early on was replace the PSU with a Corsair AX1200i.

So after hashing for 9 months, all of a sudden it stops.

The display is blank and the red LED is on (red = bad sign, normally has a flashing green LED). The fans are working, and I can see the green Ethernet networking light flashing inside on the BBB controller. None of the lights on the hashing boards are showing.

The unit is in a stable environment inside a quiet rack cabinet. The other miners in the same cabinet are working fine (a KnCMiner October Jupiter which has been hashing for 1 year 3 months, an S1 hashing for 11 months, and a Spondoolies-Tech SP10 hashing for 8 months). Nothing physical (e.g. G-shock, liquid) has happened to the unit.

Looks like a failure of the controller, as the web page won't come up, and I can't even ping the IP address of the unit (which I have fixed on my router using DHCP Reservation).

I only have one S2, so I can't troubleshoot by replacing the controller board with one from a good unit.

I'm I right in thinking that this is BBB controller failure? If so, it is possible to get a replacement?

Run a Bitcoin node, support the network.
Pages: « 1 ... 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 [217] 218 219 220 221 222 »
  Print  

Jump to: