Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:58:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156979 times)
amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:42:20 PM

Hi Cbutters,

Wire 1 is to be attached to LOWER pad of the Cut-off R46 bridge...As I pointed in previous pictures/posts...it is the SAME as LOWER row soldering points of the VID resistors...

So you CAN ATTACH to ANY...or ALL of them...as they are electrically connected together... you can see the traces from R46...or measure that...

The trim pot is intended to be a TEST Bench...Read my second sentence in the my previous post...to ADJUST voltage smoothly...It IS a ZiG_Mod for testing/experimenting...

The original first proposal of ZiG_Mod is fixed resistor...Equivalent to R139 ("R52) replacement...but without the need of actual de-soldering...  

I have been running without top heatsink at the early stage of modding...anything above 1000MHz was causing Gridseed chips to become hotter and untouchable...This was the time when I modded the thermal solution and posted here...like end of March...

After that I have them running with copper heatsinks on each chip...RAM/VID type...10mm x 10mm ... Phobya thermal pads... no problems even @1250MHZ...but they are getting HOT...above 1150-1175MHz...

ZiG  

Thanks for the clarification! I think I might try wiring up trim pots up on all of mine if it works good in testing... I like the idea of variable voltage to be able to fine tune so as to be as efficient as possible at around 450-480 hashrate. With that we could find a stable voltage then slowly move down from there. Plust trim pots are quite inexpensive as well. I'll report back once I receive my gridseeds and do some testing. I will post pics / guide if it works well.

i considering using a pot but didnt have right one on hand either too big reisitance or too small. didnt have right range.
Used wiht caution - as always when modding - it fine. decided on your MAX resistance you want, set it before mounting, use a mulitmeter to check it. MARK the where max is. then adjust downwards only. mark which way increases and decease the pot too. for thoose wiht ladies in the house a dab of nial polish works really well for marking the max limit. it holds longer and doesnt come off easy, plus its more noticedable and different from any other markings you might add to it while adjusting it. i use the wifes reddish ones and a tooth pick to mark my pots - for other non grid mods or tinkering ive done. Sparte multimeter connected to the pot to check the resistance helps great too. analogue is good here as it responds without delay, like lower and mid range digital mulitmeter suffer from. (ill always keep and use both my analogue meters)
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 08:43:16 PM

i already downloaded the one from crypoblog, then i downloaded sandor111 latest file - which was just the .exe file. the one from cryptoblog had a libcurl_4.dll in it not just a libcurl.dll. i found a libcurl.dll easy enough now its going. pool now shows 720! before the autooverlcok has kicked in. nice!

Great work sandor, but i really miss the summary at top of the miner app - like in bfgminer, and cgminer. how easy would it be to add in Smiley? if it wasnt for the whole complie on windows lack, id knock somehtign up myself. trying to compile it on windows puts me off though.

I need to start learning ncurses. Smiley

happydaze

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:52:47 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2014, 09:04:52 PM by happydaze

wolfey - how many amps are your pods pulling with the 49.9k resistor? Or watts?  I'm looking for actual measurements if you have an easy to use tool like a clamp on ammeter or a watt meter.  If anyone is using the 47k resistor it would be nice to know the power usage too so we know if there's any difference in power consumption. Actual measurements please.  We could list the mod, freq, resistor used, watts or amps........  If anyone is using a different resistor and has tools to measure the please post your info too.  It would be interesting to know the volts too, it's nominal 12 but my guess is there's a lot of variance power supply quality / loading and wire gauge used etc.  It'll help determine how gridseeds we can put on a power supply and power cost per mod.

some of my measurement results:
vmod1 975MHz to 1000MHz 11.86v, 1.07a, 12.69 watts, 400 kH/s  24hr results
no mod dual mode 750MHz both 11.86v, 4.23a, 50.17 watts, 8.5 Gh/s, 300 kH/s 24hr results
vmod1 dual mode 850MHz both 11.86v, 5.50a, 65.23 watts, 10 Gh/s, 350 kH/s 12hr results   

wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 09:30:19 PM

aaarrgh !

Minerd-sandor111.exe - system Error
The program can't start because libcurl.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

off on an internet libcurl hunt now.

If you have any instances of cpuminer or cgminer etc. on your HD, you can simply do a search and find that dll. I had the same problem, searched then moved one of the several instances of that dll to the proper folder then minerd fired up and ran. Wink
I can send you a copy if you like.
Just shoot me a PM and I'll hand it over Wink

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 09:47:30 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2014, 10:02:43 PM by wolfey2014

wolfey - how many amps are your pods pulling with the 49.9k resistor? Or watts?  I'm looking for actual measurements if you have an easy to use tool like a clamp on ammeter or a watt meter.  If anyone is using the 47k resistor it would be nice to know the power usage too so we know if there's any difference in power consumption. Actual measurements please.  We could list the mod, freq, resistor used, watts or amps........  If anyone is using a different resistor and has tools to measure the please post your info too.  It would be interesting to know the volts too, it's nominal 12 but my guess is there's a lot of variance power supply quality / loading and wire gauge used etc.  It'll help determine how gridseeds we can put on a power supply and power cost per mod.

some of my measurement results:
vmod1 975MHz to 1000MHz 11.86v, 1.07a, 12.69 watts, 400 kH/s  24hr results
no mod dual mode 750MHz both 11.86v, 4.23a, 50.17 watts, 8.5 Gh/s, 300 kH/s 24hr results
vmod1 dual mode 850MHz both 11.86v, 5.50a, 65.23 watts, 10 Gh/s, 350 kH/s 12hr results   

Hi, I really don't want to go tearing into my pods right now to take measurements. They're mining so good! I can't bear to interrupt them!  Grin
But I can concur with your vmod1 readings. Very close to what I found when doing my mods. 1. something Amps at 12.something to maybe 14 to 16 or so Watts sounds about right for up to 1250MHz with my 49.9k resistor mod. Just going by memory from weeks ago but I know these figures are very close.
I wouldn't ever push these miners harder in Scrypt mode. I see your other figures are for dual mode. I have no experience with those as I've never run my miners in SHA mode.
By the way, as I've mentioned before and at least one other has concurred, 50k ohm is okay to use too. I wouldn't go any higher than that but it's your stuff so.... Wink

One other fact. All 12V DC power supplies output at 13.8V nominal. No power supplies (except maybe broken, poorly made or incorrectly altered ones - and car chargers) output 12V DC! NONE! In automotive electrical/charging systems, in all 12V DC systems, 12.8 to 13.2V is the bottom level for a 12V battery although they get down to 10 or 11 volts at times due to improper maintenance, wear and tear, age and or out charging system characteristics.
All of them charge and keep the voltage under load at 13.80 to 14.20 VDC.

Also, keep in mind that those LED switch mode power supplies, and those bricks, although regulated, may not have proper output filtering due to use of cheap low value/quality capacitors and other components, poor quiescent and high ripple currents which sensitive equipment like our miners do not like! That's why some of them end up releasing magic black smoke and unfortunately in the process, ruin your miners too.

finestcuts

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 09:56:45 PM

Hi Guys,

I am getting some Gridseeds and will be trying the 47kohm resistor mod. Which software should I use to get max overclock (like the approx 490 k/h I've seen screenshots of)? I am planning on using Linux, either raspberry Pi or a standard motherboard (max 10 Gridseed miners connected to Windows is not enough....or is there a way of connecting more?).
Can someone point me to a tarball I can download? I am experienced with CG miner, so CG miner would be ideal, but am open to trying other software out. I found the 3355 Gridseed on Github but had trouble cloning it, I guess a tarball would be much easier.
Also, if I used a standard motherboard with a dual core or quad core processor would I be able to connect like 100 or more to a motherboard, or is the processor irrelevant (I'm thinking of the CPU switching between hundreds of devices so would that be causing a burden, to the 700 mhz "slow" CPU on a raspberry PI, and maybe could be overcome with a fast CPU, rather than buying lots of raspberry PIs)
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 10:00:49 PM

stock pads are crap and are meant for stock speeds and stock heat. overclocking will produce more heat FACT. ok if your not using sha people SAY that dont get that hot. but damn touch thoose things without the top heatsink on they are HOT!!!!

Right now the heat pads on top of the chips ARE NOT THE PROBLEM. read that again. allow it to digest a bit. beath and now continue.

The gridseed chips have THERMAL VIAs to conduct the heat from the chip TO THE BOTTOM HEATSINK! yes thats right the bottom heatsink. SO to really improve your thermal conduciviy you need to be more concerned about the thermal vias, which are located on the underside of the PCB! remove the screww in rises - yeah thoose things that the screw went into. NOW USING SOMETHING PLASTIC VERY CAREFULLY lever the pcb away from the bottom heat sink. i say carefully as it can and probably is stuck there, from use and the stock thermal pad gettting warm and cooling etc. DO NOT USE METAL.
Now stop re read thoose last two sentences let it sink in. and continue - trust me been there done that, seriuosly screwed up my phone! dont risk it! Metal can and 99.999999% will damage the PCB especially the solder shield underneath it and maybe even create a short you didnt want.

Now once youve removed it toss the stock heat pad - if you want - check the thermal vias, they might need reworking, mine did, i had solder oozing out of one and a noticeable air pocket on the other - i heard the air being pushed out as i was handling it! so check your thermal vias. Highly recommend appling a very generous amount of thermal paste to the thermal vias. this will make sure you have good thermal conducivity there as the paste heats itll flow into the vias creating a good thermal conduct.

Now if your going the route of thermal pad no problem cut it out apply to the underside surface of the PCB and reassemble - take note of the milled out portions in the heatsink and there corresponding alignment to the PCB.
IF your going to cover the whole surface in thermal paste, then cover the serveral exposed copper surfaces - com3, reset switch and a few other, wiht electical insulation tape. you dont want thoose to be short on the heat sink, especially the reset switch!
Apply your paste and reassemble again taking note of the cut outs.

Sorry no photos at the mo. its late and i aint stripping my grid down now, but tomorrow i plan on doing so so hopefully - kids permitting- i can get it stripped and do a few photos.

Or you can wait a few post and see what wolfy has to say - prob no need to change the pads thermal paste crap etc etc.

Pads, or paste your choice id recommend adding paste to the vias though either way. just use care and caution when separating the PCB from the bottom heatsink.

Moot - at this stage. I've said all I desire to say on this subject! You're welcome!  Grin I'm so predictable! Aren't I?  Roll Eyes

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 10:08:15 PM

I did the 49.9k resistor mod, but I'm having an issue:

For some reason, although the Gridseeds are running at 7.65 Mh/s collectively, I"m only getting around 3.6 Mh/s effective. It's like this no matter what pool I use. Is this normal, and if not, any idea on how I can fix it?

Can yopmeone join in here and tell what the actual problem is ?
I have to say that i face the same problem with the bfgminer.
On Ubuntu when i use cgminer, i have to restart cgminer very ofter as there plopps an libusb error. On BFGminer verything runs as it should but the effective hashrate is extremely lower...

I did the 49.9k resistor mod, but I'm having an issue:

For some reason, although the Gridseeds are running at 7.65 Mh/s collectively, I"m only getting around 3.6 Mh/s effective. It's like this no matter what pool I use. Is this normal, and if not, any idea on how I can fix it?

Can yopmeone join in here and tell what the actual problem is ?
I have to say that i face the same problem with the bfgminer.
On Ubuntu when i use cgminer, i have to restart cgminer very ofter as there plopps an libusb error. On BFGminer verything runs as it should but the effective hashrate is extremely lower...

Try the cpuminer in my signature, it should work without issues.

wow guys you are genious.!
cpuminer was a little a pain in the ass to configure the script and run it as root and so on... but! It works perfectly.
Cpuminer even adjusts pods to their own specific best frequency, what a charm i love it.!

Thanks a lot all.

I agree Sandor111. Well done!
Just loaded and fired your latest version up and I am really diggin it! Like I've been saying all along, cpuminer rocks where best performance and pool side profits go!

Firebird2000

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 12:46:34 AM

I am just about at my wits end with these stupid gridseeds.
Nothing I do works properly. I am just about to throw these in the trash and try to find peace in my life.

The only software that seems to work for me is bfgminer.
I have tried cpuminer (works I think, but who knows)
cgminer with zadig drivers (can't even find the devices)
The raspberry pi that came with them (wouldn't even boot with the provided SD card, had to load a copy of scripta)
The pi will boot, but goes down after about 10 minutes.

So I am basically back to BFGminer. It's the only one I can get to work, if I modify the bat file that was included with my info.

So, here I am, back to bfgminer, I have modded 2 of 10 gridseeds, but I can't figure out how to run 8 of them at thr stock 850 and increase the clock of the 2 modded units.
When I add "--set-device gridseed@XX72117B5XXX:clock=950" nothing works at all, the command window opens then closes right away.

Yeah, Gridseed and Dualminers are PITA...  Huh You should put Your serial numbers instead. BFGminer versions are still experimental, BTW pr3 is more stable for me than clean-version. I'm using CGwatcher for running BFGminer because of crashing and unsuccessfull starts You are experiencing too. Here is my command line with my serial numbers and my serial ports, so You can't just copy/paste the line:
Code:
bfgminer -S noauto -S dualminer:all -S gridseed:all --set-device dualminer@\\.\COM25:clock=800 --set-device dualminer@\\.\COM27:clock=850 --set-device dualminer@\\.\COM23:clock=850 --set-device gridseed@XXX2117B5355:clock=875 --set-device gridseed@XXXX4F8D5148:clock=900 --set-device gridseed@XXXX336B5148:clock=850 --set-device gridseed@XXXX5F7E5148:clock=925
I'm using also standard bfgminer.conf with pools definitions.

Thanks for all the help. I have now modded 10 with the 47k resistor. I have them all working and have each set to the lowest frequency that gives the least HW errors for each one using BFGminer PR3.
I think all is working bout as good as I can make them. Each one is running about 470khs.

Now, all that I would like to do is set up BFGminer to run in CGwatcher like i use for my GPUs.

Has anyone done this? I think it could be done, except I have no idea how to setup the Conf file.

Does anybody have an example Conf for BFGminer to run in CGwatcher that shows how to setup for multiple Gridseeds using the ID of the gridseed and the frequency for it?

Thanks!
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 01:10:31 AM

I am just about at my wits end with these stupid gridseeds.
Nothing I do works properly. I am just about to throw these in the trash and try to find peace in my life.

The only software that seems to work for me is bfgminer.
I have tried cpuminer (works I think, but who knows)
cgminer with zadig drivers (can't even find the devices)
The raspberry pi that came with them (wouldn't even boot with the provided SD card, had to load a copy of scripta)
The pi will boot, but goes down after about 10 minutes.

So I am basically back to BFGminer. It's the only one I can get to work, if I modify the bat file that was included with my info.

So, here I am, back to bfgminer, I have modded 2 of 10 gridseeds, but I can't figure out how to run 8 of them at thr stock 850 and increase the clock of the 2 modded units.
When I add "--set-device gridseed@XX72117B5XXX:clock=950" nothing works at all, the command window opens then closes right away.

Yeah, Gridseed and Dualminers are PITA...  Huh You should put Your serial numbers instead. BFGminer versions are still experimental, BTW pr3 is more stable for me than clean-version. I'm using CGwatcher for running BFGminer because of crashing and unsuccessfull starts You are experiencing too. Here is my command line with my serial numbers and my serial ports, so You can't just copy/paste the line:
Code:
bfgminer -S noauto -S dualminer:all -S gridseed:all --set-device dualminer@\\.\COM25:clock=800 --set-device dualminer@\\.\COM27:clock=850 --set-device dualminer@\\.\COM23:clock=850 --set-device gridseed@XXX2117B5355:clock=875 --set-device gridseed@XXXX4F8D5148:clock=900 --set-device gridseed@XXXX336B5148:clock=850 --set-device gridseed@XXXX5F7E5148:clock=925
I'm using also standard bfgminer.conf with pools definitions.

Thanks for all the help. I have now modded 10 with the 47k resistor. I have them all working and have each set to the lowest frequency that gives the least HW errors for each one using BFGminer PR3.
I think all is working bout as good as I can make them. Each one is running about 470khs.

Now, all that I would like to do is set up BFGminer to run in CGwatcher like i use for my GPUs.

Has anyone done this? I think it could be done, except I have no idea how to setup the Conf file.

Does anybody have an example Conf for BFGminer to run in CGwatcher that shows how to setup for multiple Gridseeds using the ID of the gridseed and the frequency for it?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm a little bit shocked!
How in the world did you get stuck using 47k on your mods? 49.9k is the optimum value for least power usage and maximum hash rate with extremely minimum / nearly 0 HW errors?
If you want to see how it's done, look up my posts on here via Search. You can start here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=519112.msg6098563#msg6098563 to see how it's done if you don't already know, which you probably do Wink
Also, unless you're not using Windows 7 32 or 64 bit, you can use cpuminer which is the best and most stable and easiest mining program to use as well as the most profitable at the pool!
I believe if you are getting any HW errors, like a lot, it's due in part to using the 47k and bfgminer.
If you can and are willing, I suggest upgrading to the 49.9k or 50k is okay too and change over to cpuminer using the STM virtual comm port drivers and a good USB hub.
You can also covert do my 5V USB fan mod while you're at it. It will run ultra quiet while soaking the cooling fins with enough air to keep them running at room temperature.
Good luck in what ever you decide!

chanberg

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 01:26:39 AM

How in the world did you get stuck using 47k on your mods? 49.9k is the optimum value for least power usage and maximum hash rate with extremely minimum / nearly 0 HW errors?
If you want to see how it's done, look up my posts on here via Search. You can start here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=519112.msg6098563#msg6098563 to see how it's done if you don't already know, which you probably do Wink
Also, unless you're not using Windows 7 32 or 64 bit, you can use cpuminer which is the best and most stable and easiest mining program to use as well as the most profitable at the pool!
I believe if you are getting any HW errors, like a lot, it's due in part to using the 47k and bfgminer.
If you can and are willing, I suggest upgrading to the 49.9k or 50k is okay too and change over to cpuminer using the STM virtual comm port drivers and a good USB hub.
You can also covert do my 5V USB fan mod while you're at it. It will run ultra quiet while soaking the cooling fins with enough air to keep them running at room temperature.

I might have to change to 49.9k from 47k. The power draw is pretty significant... At least 12~ extra watts on each gridseed... But besides that running extremely well and stable
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 01:47:52 AM

I might have to change to 49.9k from 47k. The power draw is pretty significant... At least 12~ extra watts on each gridseed... But besides that running extremely well and stable

I'm not sure I understand. With 47K you are drawing 12W or with the 49.9k you will be drawing 12W?
49.9k will draw slightly more power than 47k but hardly much more than 47k does already, unless there is something wrong.
It's not that significant IMO. My miners are running at room temp-ish with my mod.
None are running warmer than around 89*F if that with my 5V USB ultra quiet fan mod.
The main reason you want 49.9k is for the error-less hashes and optimal profits at the pool!
Any higher than 50k is a waste of power, effort and profits IMO.
Let me know via PM what you decide to do. I'm glad to help.

nst6563

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 01:53:30 AM

If you're indecisive about 47k or 49.9k/50k you could use a pot, and adjust to your liking - I wouldn't recommend using a pot more than 50k though that way you can't turn it too high.

I would second wolfey's suggestion of using the latest build of cpuminer that Sandor posted in here recently as well.  I never had much luck at all with bfgminer, and cgminer worked well enough for me but the per-chip auto-tuning feature that is in the latest cpuminer is hard to beat.  You can also use a single instance of cpuminer now instead of running multiple instances for multiple gridseeds.
happydaze

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 02:06:24 AM

So I had a go at the ZiG mod since I had some 16K resistors laying around.  All seemed good, i check continuity, and resistance at the regulator leg was 49K so electrically everything looked fine.  However when I plugged the unit in and tried hashing the red LED started flickering maybe at about 20-40hz, then started a flickering / stop cycle about every 3 seconds.

So has anyone tried this Mod and confirmed it worked? does the resistor need to be a 17K?  I would have thought 1K difference wouldn't have mattered. Maybe I have missed something?  

Note: miner worked fine once I removed the resistor and re-bridged R46 pads.  I also did the R139 mod with a 47K resistor and it also worked.

powersup - Yes it works.  I copied the positioning of a 1/2 watt resistor you showed in your photo but used a 15k I had on hand. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks ZiG!  I can do this.  I used a cheap battery powered soldering iron.  I measured the voltage as you said before starting to mine.  1.75volts.
I'm testing it using sandors new cpuminer.  Started it up at 1150MHz.   15k + 33k = 48k.  21.46 watts.

Anyone - please post your amps, volts and or watts for all the different resistor values used.  We need some accurate data.  

my measurement results:
Rmod or ZiGmod 1150MHz (just started and using autotune) 11.86v, 1.81a, 21.46 watts (I'll update with pool results in 24hrs)

This is my oldest pod - note no con2 pins just 2 wires, STM com chip

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 02:24:30 AM

If you're indecisive about 47k or 49.9k/50k you could use a pot, and adjust to your liking - I wouldn't recommend using a pot more than 50k though that way you can't turn it too high.

I would second wolfey's suggestion of using the latest build of cpuminer that Sandor posted in here recently as well.  I never had much luck at all with bfgminer, and cgminer worked well enough for me but the per-chip auto-tuning feature that is in the latest cpuminer is hard to beat.  You can also use a single instance of cpuminer now instead of running multiple instances for multiple gridseeds.

Thanks nst6563. Appreciated.
To be more specific and detailed.
It's called a trim pot. Multi-turn trim pot to be exact. You want at least 15 turns to have enough fine tuning ability. And the difference, IMO, you'd be adjusting between is 33k and 49.9k to 50k to achieve either default operation '33k as it is now' or overclock operation '49.9k' for Scrypt ONLY operation.....Emphasis on Scrypt ONLY. Do not try to run SHA or dual mode at 49.9k or magic black smoke will be released and so will over $100 bucks in hardware!  Cry
Still, I don't see the point as, IMO, SHA is dead where our little pods go. As a friend of mine just said earlier today, "our little miners are like grains of sand on the beach." The beach being bitcoin.
Even if you have to revert back later, changing back is easy to do as well! It would take me no more than a few minutes to reverse it.
So, just go with the 49.9k 'fixed' mod. It's the optimum setting IMO. I'm sure thousands of other modders would agree by now as evidenced by all the hooplah over their gains on all related forums.
Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 02:33:35 AM

So I had a go at the ZiG mod since I had some 16K resistors laying around.  All seemed good, i check continuity, and resistance at the regulator leg was 49K so electrically everything looked fine.  However when I plugged the unit in and tried hashing the red LED started flickering maybe at about 20-40hz, then started a flickering / stop cycle about every 3 seconds.

So has anyone tried this Mod and confirmed it worked? does the resistor need to be a 17K?  I would have thought 1K difference wouldn't have mattered. Maybe I have missed something?  

Note: miner worked fine once I removed the resistor and re-bridged R46 pads.  I also did the R139 mod with a 47K resistor and it also worked.

powersup - Yes it works.  I copied the positioning of a 1/2 watt resistor you showed in your photo but used a 15k I had on hand. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks ZiG!  I can do this.  I used a cheap battery powered soldering iron.  I measured the voltage as you said before starting to mine.  1.75volts.
I'm testing it using sandors new cpuminer.  Started it up at 1150MHz.   15k + 33k = 48k.  21.46 watts.

Anyone - please post your amps, volts and or watts for all the different resistor values used.  We need some accurate data.  

my measurement results:
Rmod or ZiGmod 1150MHz (just started and using autotune) 11.86v, 1.81a, 21.46 watts (I'll update with pool results in 24hrs)

This is my oldest pod - note no con2 pins just 2 wires, STM com chip

Way back in the early days, someone wrote: Wink
Not to be confused with the current mods which supersede the data / results below.

Quote from: nemercry on April 01, 2014, 07:12:51 PM

47kOhm 1% gives you stable 1100mhz to 1150mhz range 21,5 W Powerdraw including PSU
52kOhm 1% gives you stable 1200mhz 31W including PSU
56kOhm 1% gives you stable 1250mhz 44W including PSU

86kOhm 1% draw way to much and did turn off the device instantly (onboard powersupply is not rated for > 60W) we assumed it to take around 80W.
If you are funny you can try to use an 64kOhms resistor and you will probably get the highest possible frequency of 1300mhz.

Hope this helps!

happydaze

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 03:22:48 AM

How much current does the 49.9k mod use?  It's right in between 47k and 52k so is it 26.25 watts?  So maybe 5 watts more than a 47k resistor? Or is it not a linear calculation like that? Too bad you don't have a clamp on ammeter - I'm sure someone using a 49.9k resistor does.  What MHz are you running them at wolfey?  Maybe wait 24 hrs if you just started running sandors autotune cpuminer.   I'll report back on how 48K does in 24 hrs. Autotune changes things a bit I think.  A few extra watts doesn't matter if you only have a few miners but 5 watts x 100 miners = 500 watts per hour!  Note: I only have a few miners that's part of the reason I've run dual mode from the start until now.
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 03:25:50 AM

Hi Cbutters,

Wire 1 is to be attached to LOWER pad of the Cut-off R46 bridge...As I pointed in previous pictures/posts...it is the SAME as LOWER row soldering points of the VID resistors...

So you CAN ATTACH to ANY...or ALL of them...as they are electrically connected together... you can see the traces from R46...or measure that...

The trim pot is intended to be a TEST Bench...Read my second sentence in the my previous post...to ADJUST voltage smoothly...It IS a ZiG_Mod for testing/experimenting...

The original first proposal of ZiG_Mod is fixed resistor...Equivalent to R139 ("R52) replacement...but without the need of actual de-soldering...  

I have been running without top heatsink at the early stage of modding...anything above 1000MHz was causing Gridseed chips to become hotter and untouchable...This was the time when I modded the thermal solution and posted here...like end of March...

After that I have them running with copper heatsinks on each chip...RAM/VID type...10mm x 10mm ... Phobya thermal pads... no problems even @1250MHZ...but they are getting HOT...above 1150-1175MHz...

ZiG  

Thanks for the clarification! I think I might try wiring up trim pots up on all of mine if it works good in testing... I like the idea of variable voltage to be able to fine tune so as to be as efficient as possible at around 450-480 hashrate. With that we could find a stable voltage then slowly move down from there. Plust trim pots are quite inexpensive as well. I'll report back once I receive my gridseeds and do some testing. I will post pics / guide if it works well.

Thank you Zig for the explanation, I think it is a very smart Idea although I will be happy with 510K @ around 20w which is what I am getting with the 49.9k @ 1200mhz at 139k/R52 position.

Can someone PLEASE stick a 16.9k or 17k 1% resistor on the R46 Pads I just want to see if it will act EXACTLY like the other mods, I do not have my resistors yet to test but I would like to see if this works prior me receiving these things I would love to get the re-assurance.
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 03:31:48 AM

I think this is the only thing CPUminer has over Cgminer, The autotune, although autotune was in the GPU Cgminer build like Sgminer etc.. But that is because we had to variances to tweak Engine and Memory and you can go up by 1's , With the Grids there is only 1 clock and it only has steps of 25Mhz .... I guess it is a good option but... Since I am so used to Cgminer I would LOVE for someone to develop on this.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 03:34:11 AM

Hi Cbutters,

ZiG  

Thank you Zig for the explanation, I think it is a very smart Idea although I will be happy with 510K @ around 20w which is what I am getting with the 49.9k @ 1200mhz at 139k/R52 position.

Can someone PLEASE stick a 16.9k or 17k 1% resistor on the R46 Pads I just want to see if it will act EXACTLY like the other mods, I do not have my resistors yet to test but I would like to see if this works prior me receiving these things I would love to get the re-assurance.

I'll be modding 20 more seeds next week sometime. I'm gonna give Z's mod a try and see what happens. If it's good, I'll say so. If not, I'll say so too Wink
I'm all for simplicity. The KISS rule rules in my universe, as much as possible anyway Wink
I just don't agree with the reasoning behind the mod. Our miners ain't ever gonna see SHA profits again. They be done baby!
Someone want to beat me to it, have at it!
Wolfey

Pages: « 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: