Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:37:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156980 times)
amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:48:29 PM

so anyone tried swopping out the oscillator crystal (x6 tink its marked no?) for a higher frequency one?

alos whats wiht the reistor values, i mean where did the 39k reisitor value come from? could it be higher?Huh (in line wiht chip u9 upo1111)

and laslty has anyone got or know where to get hold of the data sheet for the 2-bit VID buck converter chip u2, (up1509)

and for ref r211 is labeled a 3.65k -1% 04 and R212 10k 1% 04

And final why do the solder bridge to short out vid0 and vid1 ? then replace the matching reistor. Why not just replace the corresponding resistor to vid0 open and vid1 open? which i believe would be R139 default value set at about 22k. )

or did i miss something.

i try but i dont have the values and compents sizes -at the moment - to try.
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 07:15:08 PM

so anyone tried swopping out the oscillator crystal (x6 tink its marked no?) for a higher frequency one?

alos whats wiht the reistor values, i mean where did the 39k reisitor value come from? could it be higher?Huh (in line wiht chip u9 upo1111)

and laslty has anyone got or know where to get hold of the data sheet for the 2-bit VID buck converter chip u2, (up1509)

And final why do the solder bridge to short out vid0 and vid1 ? then replace the matching reistor. Why not just replace the corresponding resistor to vid0 open and vid1 open? which i believe would be R139 default value set at about 22k. )

or did i miss something.

Are you an electronics engineer? I'm interested in any hack that works well and is the easiest one to do.
I found one other shortcut that negates the need for the pencil mod part. I'm still testing its results.
So far, 135% to 150% stable gain in overall hash rate has been achieved at 1000MHz.
1100MHz throws less red nonce HW errors but it's still too much.
1200MHz stable is still pretty much impossible at this time with current mods.
PM me if you'd like to correspond and we can figure something else out together.
I wish I knew where Sandor went off to... He started this whole thing anyway Wink
Wolfey2014

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 07:28:27 PM

Not interested in semantics.
Facts are facts, no matter how you try to rationalize them, REAL results speak for themselves.
Nuff said...
Wolfey2014

The fact is, you have no REAL results, only unverified, wrong results. Sorry.

I appreciate your skepticism.
Believe me, I have better things to do than start unnecessary and untrue rumors.

In any case, I do not apologize for the claims I am making. They are indeed true claims! I promise you!

Please READ the posts in this thread and in the tuning thread.
There are a few on here who have already achieved the same increase.

The evidence is adding up in favor of my claims and Sandor's claims who started this adventure in the first place with his mods and claims.
And, more favorable evidence is on the way!

Anyway.....
That is what you call, "verification".

Wolfey2014

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 08:12:49 PM

I will do a new picture, when i am done with my smd resistor replacement on the pencil side.
I will try 2 different SMD's (eg at 0.94V and 1.01V) and try to give you a 24h run for each PLL voltage. (Will probably happen first on the next week, because i needed to order parts.)
As for replication of results i would advise to use the 39kOhm 1% resitor because its more exact on the resistor value.

Lets see what stable resulst we all get : ].

Regards

Edit: @ Amix thanks for the reply. I tried to measure it myself, and also estimated that it would be the 0402 series. I ordered some of them, which will probably arrive next week. Then i will be able to confirm Smiley.
Thanks for your reply!

Woops!
be careful about spreading incorrect information!
Where it says in 'green lettering' in the upper right hand corner - where one still cannot see 'where' to connect/solder the + (red) wire exactly - 0,2104A .. "Be careful here bla bla bla"
That figure is completely WRONG!
The average draw from the fan at 5V is ONLY .78A or 78mA! It peaks at 140mA for a second or so while starting up. It draws very little current. Much less than it does running at 12V!
It is also ultra quiet at 5V but DO NOT use this mod for running SHA-256! I don't think it will cool the pod well enough and might burn up and die!

Thanks for your efforts, though!

Wolfey2014

amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:20:31 PM

or did i miss something.

Are you an electronics engineer? I'm interested in any hack that works well and is the easiest one to do.
I found one other shortcut that negates the need for the pencil mod part. I'm still testing its results.
So far, 135% to 150% stable gain in overall hash rate has been achieved at 1000MHz.
PM me if you'd like to correspond and we can figure something else out together.
I wish I knew where Sandor went off to... He started this whole thing anyway Wink
Wolfey2014

thanks ill take that as compliement - electronics engineer - but no. i did study appplied physics wiht computer over 12 years ago. didnt really get into it as a carreer started travelling instead. now ive forgot more than i know. still know the basics and beyond and dabble in it as a hobby - heck been into the electronics and computer since a kid wiht my dad. assembled a circuit at 5 and wrote a compuiter program on spectrum 48k at 7. ahh back in the days. problem i now have is though that i live in finland and dont know where tyo get most of the stuff from - language also an issue - so i result to online purcahses most of time which takes time to delivery. heck if i had the parts the crystal would be swopped out now along wiht the reistors. heck im itching to use my new rework station. oh and have things moved forward so much in 12 years. so im a bit behind. but i catch up well - just wiht coding you know the basics you can pick it up and understand it. so anyone know a good site where i good hunt for the datasheets for the chips?
Reggie0

Activity: 107
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:31:58 PM

Facts are facts, no matter how you try to rationalize them, REAL results speak for themselves.
Nuff said...
Wolfey2014

Believe me, I have better things to do than start unnecessary and untrue rumors.

In any case, I do not apologize for the claims I am making. They are indeed true claims! I promise you!

The evidence is adding up in favor of my claims and Sandor's claims who started this adventure in the first place with his mods and claims.

Anyway.....

Wolfey2014

LOL. Then here is your next evidence:

Yes 2 pieces R9 290 @ 882kH/s each reported by pool as 2269 kH/s fast. Do not trust in pool reports! (Specially in this shitty one.)
krisse2

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:38:01 PM

or did i miss something.

Wolfey2014

thanks ill take that as compliement - electronics engineer - but no. i did study appplied physics wiht computer over 12 years ago. didnt really get into it as a carreer started travelling instead. now ive forgot more than i know. still know the basics and beyond and dabble in it as a hobby - heck been into the electronics and computer since a kid wiht my dad. assembled a circuit at 5 and wrote a compuiter program on spectrum 48k at 7. ahh back in the days. problem i now have is though that i live in finland and dont know where tyo get most of the stuff from - language also an issue - so i result to online purcahses most of time which takes time to delivery. heck if i had the parts the crystal would be swopped out now along wiht the reistors. heck im itching to use my new rework station. oh and have things moved forward so much in 12 years. so im a bit behind. but i catch up well - just wiht coding you know the basics you can pick it up and understand it. so anyone know a good site where i good hunt for the datasheets for the chips?

Do you live in Helsinki or close by? In Helsinki (or you can just order online) there's at least this shop for electronics that I know of: http://www.partco.biz/verkkokauppa/index.php?language=en .

As soon as someone finds a way to replace the pencil mod with resistor or something (and/or when wolfey2014 reveals the new, better mod), I think I'll try to mod one of my gridseeds as well (and then the rest if I don't brick that one..Smiley
Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:45:03 PM

i think becaue the mod started with just plain switching vid to the higher one - which is the stock 36k
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 09:49:08 PM

Tongue
Nuff said...
Wolfey2014

Anyway.....

Wolfey2014

LOL. Then here is your next evidence:

LOL TEE HEE HEE HEE!  Cheesy

Yes 2 pieces R9 290 @ 882kH/s each reported by pool as 2269 kH/s fast. Do not trust in pool reports! (Specially in this shitty one.)

That's 505KH/s overkill pool side. And that figure changes almost by the minute! And I am quite sure this is not the case for every miner mining pool side. Especially not my mining miners miningnesses.......  Cheesy
Anyway.....so what?Huh? It's a GPU, not an ASIC...quit tryin to be right...it ain't workin  Tongue
What ever my miners are showing pool side now, it is at least 150% more now than before! Put that in your pipe and smoke it.... Grin
Wolfey2014

Reggie0

Activity: 107
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:06:24 PM

That's 505KH/s overkill pool side. And that figure changes almost by the minute! And I am quite sure this is not the case for every miner mining pool side. Especially not my mining miners miningnesses.......  Cheesy

That 505KH/s means 132% in your terms. Almost 150%. WoW such magic.

Anyway.....so what?Huh? It's a GPU, not an ASIC...quit tryin to be right...it ain't workin  Tongue

It doesn't matter. The pool is unable to discriminate ASIC and GPU generated shares.

What ever my miners are showing pool side now, it is at least 150% more now than before! Put that in your pipe and smoke it.... Grin

Yeah it is an inaccurate, shitty pool. I will put it Smiley
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 10:24:47 PM

That 505KH/s means 132% in your terms. Almost 150%. WoW such magic.

Anyway.....so what?Huh? It's a GPU, not an ASIC...quit tryin to be right...it ain't workin  Tongue

It doesn't matter. The pool is unable to discriminate ASIC and GPU generated shares.

Yeah it is an inaccurate, shitty pool. I will put it Smiley

Try litecoinpool.org I like their setup better.
I tried coinsuck too and they have more tweaking to do where multi miner mining goes. I don't have time for that shyt!
Wolfey2014

jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:26:27 PM

give-me-coins.com has a very nice layout and dash, but I don't know how good they are
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 10:33:57 PM

give-me-coins.com has a very nice layout and dash, but I don't know how good they are

Thanks.
Let's try to stay on topic here. The moderator will have my ars if I cause a thread hijack! DOH!!!!!
But for now, I am sticking with litecoinpool because it's being used to test my 6 modified pods.
So far, I'm very impressed with the peak and average results I'm seeing.
Cha Ching! $$$
Gotta luv it!

Wolfey2014

dani

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

..yeah

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:13:19 AM

I will do a new picture, when i am done with my smd resistor replacement on the pencil side.
I will try 2 different SMD's (eg at 0.94V and 1.01V) and try to give you a 24h run for each PLL voltage. (Will probably happen first on the next week, because i needed to order parts.)
As for replication of results i would advise to use the 39kOhm 1% resitor because its more exact on the resistor value.

Regards

Edit: @ Amix thanks for the reply. I tried to measure it myself, and also estimated that it would be the 0402 series. I ordered some of them, which will probably arrive next week. Then i will be able to confirm Smiley.
Thanks for your reply!

Woops!
Where it says in 'green lettering' in the upper right hand corner - where one still cannot see 'where' to connect/solder the + (red) wire exactly - 0,2104A .. "Be careful here bla bla bla"
The average draw from the fan at 5V is ONLY .78A or 78mA! It peaks at 140mA for a second or so while starting up. It draws very little current. Much less than it does running at 12V!
It is also ultra quiet at 5V but DO NOT use this mod for running SHA-256! I don't think it will cool the pod well enough and might burn up and die!

Wolfey2014
0.78A = 780mA. Just sayin. Isn't the fan connected to the 12V rail supplied by your external powersupply? I don't know.

About the figure: power reduction is 2,5W if you disconnect the fan. So considering it runs at 12V.. 2,5W / 12V = 0,208A.. I don't know nemercrys figures. But that should be it. But yeah, I guess on 5V the Amper differs  Smiley

Hai
24Kilo

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:05:53 AM

Can someone elaborate on the '--usb :xx' command?

I am using Windows 7 with the girnyau's gridseed fork of cgminer compiled for Windows by Sang - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=519112.msg5799813#msg5799813

I have tried writing that command in the cgminer.conf file and into a batch fail with no success.

Thanks!

The 10 I modded yesterday seem to be rock solid at 938Mhz.  I have pushed the non-modded ones as far as I can without too many HW errors.  I will solder the rest if these are stable through the weekend.

I also used the --usb :50 command to break them up into 2 groups of 50 miners so I can see them all.

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 01:08:42 AM

Regards

Thanks for your reply!

Woops!

Wolfey2014
0.78A = 780mA. Just sayin. Isn't the fan connected to the 12V rail supplied by your external powersupply? I don't know.

About the figure: power reduction is 2,5W if you disconnect the fan. So considering it runs at 12V.. 2,5W / 12V = 0,208A.. I don't know nemercrys figures. But that should be it. But yeah, I guess on 5V the Amper differs  Smiley

D-OH!, my typo!
Thanks for catching that!
I meant .078mA....It definitely isn't 780mA! It's 78mA....okay?
140ishmA or less startup and 78mA or less running.
The fan mod is powered by USB 5V supply in ultra quiet Scrypt only mode.
I've stated it clearly several times in previous posts in this thread!  Cheesy
Any more questions on things other than what I have already covered in this thread, feel free to PM me.
Wolfey2014

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 02:51:06 AM

*continues to wait for screen shot of proof*

Okay, here you go!
Finally!
After a 24 hour test run of my 6 GS5's, here is what their performance is shaping up to be.
One of them is my new non pencil mod version.
All are running rock steady at 1000MHz!

Okay. Making great progress!
Very happy with the results thus far!

Thanks to all who have been supportive and shown interest and appreciation for my work.

And thanks to you skeptics out there too. I truly understand where you're coming from.

Anyone who wants me to modify their miners for them, please PM me and we'll take it from there.
I am located in the EUS in the metropolitan area of Washington D.C.

Peace!
Wolfey2014

simon66

Activity: 423

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:06:47 AM

*continues to wait for screen shot of proof*

Okay, here you go!
Finally!
After a 24 hour test run of my 6 GS5's, here is what their performance is shaping up to be.
One of them is my new non pencil mod version.
All are running rock steady at 1000MHz!

Okay. Making great progress!
Very happy with the results thus far!

Thanks to all who have been supportive and shown interest and appreciation for my work.

And thanks to you skeptics out there too. I truly understand where you're coming from.

Anyone who wants me to modify their miners for them, please PM me and we'll take it from there.
I am located in the EUS in the metropolitan area of Washington D.C.

Peace!
Wolfey2014

So are you gonna release how you did it? You said before that all 4 mods applied to it, but you just said
One of them is my new non pencil mod version

Thanks W!
chanberg

Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:09:49 AM

am i missing something here? your 24 hours are around 330-350...

thats like my average at 850mhz....

24Kilo

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:23:12 AM

With all due respect, Wolfey... you have contributed a huge amount of information, expertise and data to this mod thread, but I see nothing gained.

I have banks of unmodified Gridseeds running on Windows 7 with the girnyau's gridseed fork of cgminer compiled for Windows by Sang with his config settings at 888MHz which are getting as good or better 24hr averages on the pool side... 350Kh/s to 360Kh/s over 40 units over 24 hours.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: