Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:06:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156979 times)
happydaze

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 02:33:59 AM

- Reversible VMOD3 added (Courtesy of ZiG)

Step B) If you want to revert to VMOD1 simply solder together both of the two point sets shown [in Figure 7].

Jess85 - Step B needs clarification as it has merged two separate mods.  ZiG's rmod requires that you cut the bridge at R46 then one method is to solder the resistor as described.  To reverse ZiG's rmod you would remove the resistor and re-solder the bridge at R46. Then you could do VMOD1 if you want but vmod1 has nothing to do with ZiG's rmod.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jess85

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 02:45:48 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2014, 02:57:10 AM by Jess85

Step B) If you want to revert to VMOD1 simply solder together both of the two point sets shown [in Figure 7].

Jess85 - Step B needs clarification as it has merged two separate mods.  ZiG's rmod requires that you cut the bridge at R46 then one method is to solder the resistor as described.  To reverse ZiG's rmod you would remove the resistor and re-solder the bridge at R46. Then you could do VMOD1 if you want but vmod1 has nothing to do with ZiG's rmod.  

I think I may have missed the R46 mention!
But as I understand it, re-soldering the bridge at R46 should be enough to reverse the mod no? having to remove the axial resistor would then defeat the claim that it is any more reversible then the original VMOD3 I would think. At least that's what was personally understood from reading ZiG's earlier posts.

Can you please clarify on this?
ZiG

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 02:58:56 AM

Hey Guys Cheesy

I just updated my guide. It now includes:
- ZiG's rVMOD3 (Reversible VMOD3) in simple language and beautiful high resolution pictures.
- G-Blade VMOD1 Information & Pictures

Check it out, let me know what you think Smiley

Good job, Jess85...!

Thank you for the reference to my mod...Excellent guide... Smiley

ZiG

ZiG

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:05:07 AM

I think I may have missed the R46 mention!
But as I understand it, re-soldering the bridge at R46 should be enough to reverse the mod no? having to remove the axial resistor would then defeat the claim that it is any more reversible then the original VMOD3 I would think. At least that's what was personally understood from reading ZiG's earlier posts.

Can you please clarify on this?

Yep...Happydaze is right...R46 needs to be cut first...

Reversal is as easy as shorting back R46...or the Rmod...the additional resistor on R46 pads...you can do this with a wire on the Rmod terminals...without even removing it...

So no other Mods are involved / needed...

If you have questions...Let me know...I like your guide and will be happy to help you improving it...

ZiG
happydaze

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:12:28 AM

ZiG's rmod is adding a resistor in series and can be done at least 2 ways.

1. Cut the bridge at R46 and add a resistor between those two points.  To undue just re-bridge R46.  Removing the resistor is optional as it would be bypassed by the bridge.

OR

2. Cut the bridge at R46 and add a resistor between the outer point of R46 and CON3 pin 3 (DGND). To undue remove the resistor.

method 2 is a bit easier because you have lots of room to work at both points
method 1 is easier to undue

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that ZiG's discovery has additional uses. (I'll try to confirm tomorrow)
VMOD1 = 36k + ZiG's idea but using a 13k resistor (for example) would give you 49k. (not tested yet)
VMOD3 = 47K + ZiG's idea but using a 2k resistor (for example) would give you 49k. (not tested yet)
It looks useful for anyone who has done other mods but now want to try a higher resistor value.  It's possible you won't have to undue the other mod if this works.

nemercry or ZiG would know if the second part of what I posted is correct or not.  
For now, stick to the first part of my post (above the dotted line) as being ZiG's rmod.

(edit - I see ZiG posted as I was typing)
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 03:15:52 AM

Hey Guys Cheesy

- ZiG's rVMOD3 (Reversible VMOD3) in simple language and beautiful high resolution pictures.

What about the 2 or more pods that were ruined by trying to do 'Zigs' mod?
Have they been addressed and handled or not?
I am afraid of it happening to others who apply it.
And some others have already passed on it to in favor of the R52 aka 'the great R139 discovery' axial or SMD 49.9k   Grin
I may try it while modding this next batch coming in.
I have serious reservations that something has been overlooked and may be causing damage to crystal oscillators.
2 so far that I've come across said their miner started 'clicking' which is really weird but totally possible ergo the above.
The only parts that could even possibly click would be the crystal 'most probable' - or L1 the inductor. If somehow and it's highly doubtful some of its windings are lose, the click could perhaps 'longshot' come from there.
Only other possibility is the sound of pulsed Arcing hence clicking but I don't see how that's even possible. There ain't no HV running in there anywhere. And oh, possibly a capacitor that has blown internally, that might click too. Nothing else on the card can or will, unless it releases its magic black smoke Wink
I'll be reporting my results IF I even decide to try it.
Updates comin!
BAMM! BAMM!

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
Bezinga

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:28:47 AM

Hey Guys Cheesy

What about the 2 or more pods that were ruined by trying to do 'Zigs' mod?
Have they been addressed and handled or not?
I am afraid of it happening to others who apply it.
And some others have already passed on it to in favor of the R52 aka 'the great R139 discovery' axial or SMD 49.9k   Grin
I may try it while modding this next batch coming in.
I have serious reservations that something has been overlooked and may be causing damage to crystal oscillators.
2 so far that I've come across said their miner started 'clicking' which is really weird but totally possible ergo the above.
The only parts that could even possibly click would be the crystal 'most probable' - or L1 the inductor. If somehow and it's highly doubtful some of its windings are lose, the click could perhaps 'longshot' come from there.
Only other possibility is the sound of pulsed Arcing hence clicking but I don't see how that's even possible. There ain't no HV running in there anywhere. And oh, possibly a capacitor that has blown internally, that might click too. Nothing else on the card can or will, unless it releases its magic black smoke Wink
I'll be reporting my results IF I even decide to try it.
Updates comin!
BAMM! BAMM!

fyi Jesse's guide already explains how to do the mod the way you're suggesting... now it's up to the people of the community to decide what mod works best for them.
happydaze

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:29:58 AM

ZiG's rmod works.  Mine has been running for several days now https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=519112.msg6364716#msg6364716 non stop.

I think it is easier to do but you still need to make good solder connections.
Jess85

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:39:48 AM

1. Cut the bridge at R46 and add a resistor between those two points.  To undue just re-bridge R46.  Removing the resistor is optional as it would be bypassed by the bridge.

OR

2. Cut the bridge at R46 and add a resistor between the outer point of R46 and CON3 pin 3 (DGND). To undue remove the resistor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that ZiG's discovery has additional uses. (I'll try to confirm tomorrow)
VMOD1 = 36k + ZiG's idea but using a 13k resistor (for example) would give you 49k. (not tested yet)
VMOD3 = 47K + ZiG's idea but using a 2k resistor (for example) would give you 49k. (not tested yet)
It looks useful for anyone who has done other mods but now want to try a higher resistor value.  It's possible you won't have to undue the other mod if this works.

nemercry or ZiG would know if the second part of what I posted is correct or not.  
For now, stick to the first part of my post (above the dotted line) as being ZiG's rmod.

Thanks so much for the clarification. Method 2 it is.

Guide corrected appropriately.

Would you also happen to have an image for Method 1?
happydaze

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:51:04 AM

No, I don't have photos of method 1.  I did method 2.  I'm still waiting for my resistors to come in the mail.  I want to do method 1 and will take a photo.
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 03:52:08 AM

ZiG's rmod works.  Mine has been running for several days now https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=519112.msg6364716#msg6364716 non stop.

Glad to hear its working without causing any problems in your mods.

My report cometh Wink

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
ZiG

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 04:01:15 AM

OR

Hey Happydaze,

For the #2...After you remove the resistor...You still have to short R46...
I guess...you are targeting "SHORTING" the Rmod...Axial or SMD...Removal is OPTIONAL...very well said...

SECOND Part...I was thinking of some variety of speeds, that this mod is making possible...including adding some external components, like DIP switch(es) etc...to be able to select from several possible Voltages/speeds...including through Software ("voltage=0" or "1" )...

Unfortunately Gridseed left UNUSED VID1 pin of the Buck Convertor...

BUT...if we combine  MOD 1 ...bridge to shift Voltage reference to 36K...with Rmod = 14K AND Software option "voltage=1" we can do 50K Vref...as a "Extreme - 1200/1250MHz"....
AND Software switching with "voltage=0" will shift Voltage reference back to 33K resistor... + 14K = 47K Total...this will be more balanced Overclock "Turbo " ... Grin  ...like 1125-1150-1175Mhz...which IMHO is the long term sweet spot for running 24/7...

Having played with full range of all Voltages and Speeds I know it is DOABLE...have to test and see...

Thanks for your time to experiment with these ideas...

ZiG    
ZiG

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 04:13:29 AM

Thanks buddy...I am glad to see your verification...Appreciate your time and effort to explore and hope you enjoy the results...

As of some participants having buzzing sound ...it is a missing connection /bad solder point...

As I said before...MEASURE first...between two pads of R46 resistance should be 17K...or Rmod...You can also measure between GROUND and INNER point of R139 ("R52) to see that there is 50K...THIS IS BEFORE YOU TURN THE POWER ON...

Also NEXT ...MEASURE voltage supplied to the chips ...DVDD on C42...should be around 1.70-1.75V...IF NOT just report here...ask questions...Buzzing reporting only is not enough...it is like..."my car is not working..."

I can NOT inspect your soldering...but you CAN...Please...measure these 2 things and you will know is the mod is well done ...or not...BTW, Same is valid for any other mod ...R139 (R52) replacement etc...

Thanks,

ZiG
happydaze

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 04:30:43 AM

Hey Happydaze,

For the #2...After you remove the resistor...You still have to short R46...

Thanks for catching that!

I like those ideas.  I think only cgminer has the software voltage switch though.
I get it.  Just adding 1 bridge, cutting 1 bridge and adding one resistor, a 14k Rmod plus the 2 software switches would give us 36k or 47k or 50k options all controlled by software. Can't ask for more than that!

pictsidhe

Activity: 199
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 09:45:41 AM

for those in the USA, I just cam across a very good price for a groupbuy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583755.0

not really a great deal if you ask me...

GAW sells them for $83, right now!

I'm sure once the gen 2 chips come out, these will be DIRT CHEAP

Didn't see the GAW prices yet. went to see their website, they are selling for 130 dollars on GAW

http://www.gawminers.com/300-kh-s-single-gridseed-asic-miner/

yes no doubt that prices will fall real quick, I've got some pre orders at Fibonacci. 8.6Mh for 320$ that's going to kill Gridseed prices fast when those come out.

but here in Europe the gridseeds remain expensive it's hard to get one below 120/130 euros!

Not too hard, I have 100 coming in next week, if I'm not using ebay and paypal, I can do them for 100 euro each + delivery, I'm in the UK. 10 for E950 + delivery. I'd be amazed if I'm the only person selling at those prices.

My plan is to sell most of them in ebay at a small profit, keep 20 for myself, buy another batch etc etc until I'm sick of selling them!

I'm hoping volt modded ones will sell for a nice premium, I'm a  bit dubious about running the full 500kH voltage.
Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:23:03 AM

its even great for Experiments: just solder a 20km Ohm spindle-pot
more room, less cables then with R52 replacing
and you cant accidentally turn R to zero cuz there is still 33k in series
Xer0

Activity: 826

°^°

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:32:55 AM

36k or 47k or 50k options all controlled by software. Can't ask for more than that!
from my understanding, you can only soft-switch between 47k and 50k then

for doing 400/500kH switch one must find and replace the 3k which v=1 is adding
Emu05

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 12:12:34 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2014, 12:43:53 PM by Emu05

zig modded another Gridseed today to see if the clicking sound is a problem of the first one but the secondone show the same clickung sound. i checked the solder connections no bridge and the ground / R128 test shows the values it should i dont tested the c42 DDV because i dont know which it is any idea ore somone has the same problem / solution fr it ?

Edit: The clicking stopped and so the sending of shares did I killd the gridseed ? where should is search for a point to fix it the chip ar not getting warm at all so i assume they are not calculating

might it help to put it in the oven
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 12:20:37 PM

zig modded another Gridseed today to see if the clicking sound is a problem of the first one but the secondone show the same clickung sound. i checked the solder connections no bridge and the ground / R128 test shows the values it should i dont tested the c42 DDV because i dont know which it is any idea ore somone has the same problem / solution fr it ?

i had a clicking sound when smd wasnt properly soldered, maybe you have scratched smd line on pcb or something.
check resistance value between that test point in lower position, and directly on chip to ensure that that line is operational.

cheers
happydaze

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 01:11:27 PM

Ahh, right, for all 3 values you'd need to add a physical switch or jumper. Thanks for catching that Xer0 ...
So, your idea of using a 20k spindle-pot as the resistor is ZiG's rmod would allow all values from 33k to 53k right?

Is this summary correct?
Bridge R333 to allow "voltage=0" or "voltage=1" to be used via some software.
ZiG's rmod ups everything by adding the resistor chosen.
So, if you picked rmod 14k then you get 50k with "voltage=1" or 47k with "voltage=0".
Short this use of Zig's rmod with a jumper or switch then you'd get 36k with "voltage=1" and stock 33k with "voltage=0"

Without software options you'd bridge R333 and also bridge R337 to force "voltage=1" via hardware.
So, if you picked rmod 14k then you get 50k. Short this use of Zig's rmod with a jumper or switch then you'd get 36k.

Without software options and no additional bridges if you picked rmod 14k then you'd get 47k. Short Zig's rmod with a jumper or switch then you'd get 33k.

Bridge R333 to allow use of software voltage switches.
Bridge R333 and R337 to force use of R66 (36k).
Cut  R46 to allow adding resistance in series aka rmod.
Adding a resistor between R46 points will add to R139 (36k) and/or R66 (33k) dependent on your choice of bridges used or bridge and software used.

Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: