Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:09:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156979 times)
happydaze

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:42:17 PM

Vmod3 is a 47k or slightly higher resistor at the position most call R52.  That's it.  No other soldering anywhere. No solder bridges.  Did you solder any other places on the board?
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ajeto

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:44:40 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2014, 12:12:59 AM by Ajeto

Vmod3 is a 47k or slightly higher resistor at the position most call R52.  That's it.  No other soldering anywhere. No solder bridges.  Did you solder any other places on the board?
I also soldered bridge on 3rd position in North East corner (blue circle). Nothing else.

EDIT: And now i see i made unnecessary bridge soldering grrr..

EDIT2: Thanks happydaze for your input, unsoldering that bridge solved my problem. I assumed VMOD3 is somehow complementary to VMOD1
nemercry

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

Vice versa is not a meal.

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 10:52:02 PM

Guys help please!

I made an "old" mod, not the latest ZiG one, but all i get is HW, even on 850 Mhz

Here is the picture of my unit. I did not solder the voltage=1 pins (vertical yellow line in instructions). Should that be a reason, why I'm getting only HW errors?
Btw I used 47k resistor, but did not have 0402, so used a bigger one..

so all I'm getting now is (no matter which frequency):

Please help!

Hello Ajeto,

just remove the solder bridge and your mod will work fine.

Regards.
nemercry

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 10:54:17 PM

On Crypto Mining Blog Jabberwock (April 6th, 2014 at 00:46) http://cryptomining-blog.com/1839-another-new-voltmod-update-for-the-gridseed-5-chip-btcltc-asic-miners/#comment-842 measured 33k for R139 (what we call  R52 for easy reference).  

Thanks Zig, this might be exactly what I've been hoping for.  For me, I think it is easier to add a new axial resistor than to remove that tiny smd resistor. And, it could be easily re-bridged later if a SHA coin rises to and stays at the top of the profitability lists and you want to mine it.

Ok Guys --- ZigMod is official  -

R46 Pads are bridged from factory

Image from Sandor11 & edited by Zig - R46 position is the pads on the far left all alone circled in black
https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FKBfnITv.png&t=539&c=UEjhwR7D7EBeVw

Now you know where it is, unbridge the solder join at the pads with either a knife or sharp blade (GENTLY) . Once the join is cleary un-bridged you may now solder 17kohm 1% 0402 SMD resistor OR an Axial Resistor.

The Above according to Zig should give you 20w @ 510-515KH.

Thanks Zig, as this is your mod (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Guys the first person to try this please share with us your results and pictures preferably comparing the old mod side by side to see if both are to 2 and the same in performance and wattage

What should be the benefit of doing it ?

EDIT: I read through some pages. Aim was to get exactly 49.9kOhm as resistor value, is that correct ?
Zig can you verify this ?

Regards.
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 11:01:01 PM

Guys help please!

I made an "old" mod, not the latest ZiG one, but all i get is HW, even on 850 Mhz

Here is the picture of my unit. I did not solder the voltage=1 pins (vertical yellow line in instructions). Should that be a reason, why I'm getting only HW errors?
Btw I used 47k resistor, but did not have 0402, so used a bigger one..

so all I'm getting now is (no matter which frequency):

Please help!

Why? I don't get it. Nemercry's replacement of R52 (I think it's his mod) is the only and final mod needed. I thought this was clear to everyone.
I believe the 5V Ultra Quiet Fan USB mod is my mod too. At least, that's what the sequence of events led me to coming up with and reporting, also eons ago.
I found and reported eons ago that the 49.9K 1% tolerance resistor and even at 1200MHz only and don't use anywhere near 20W of power - if I recall correctly. I wanna say it's around 12W or so. No HW errors in general and each miner has its own sweet spot/speed too. I can measure the power consumption again, if anyone wants me to.
Gotta love experimentation! It's fun but sometimes, so unnecessary.
I think we've go the pods mining as efficiently as possible.
I do agree as well that if one wants to go back to mining SHA, change the resistor value back to 33K.
Interesting too about R52 vs R139 and still, everyone replaced the right resistor Wink

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 11:09:13 PM

On Crypto Mining Blog Jabberwock (April 6th, 2014 at 00:46) http://cryptomining-blog.com/1839-another-new-voltmod-update-for-the-gridseed-5-chip-btcltc-asic-miners/#comment-842 measured 33k for R139 (what we call  R52 for easy reference).  

Thanks Zig, this might be exactly what I've been hoping for.  For me, I think it is easier to add a new axial resistor than to remove that tiny smd resistor. And, it could be easily re-bridged later if a SHA coin rises to and stays at the top of the profitability lists and you want to mine it.

Image from Sandor11 & edited by Zig - R46 position is the pads on the far left all alone circled in black
https://ip.bitcointalk.org/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FKBfnITv.png&t=539&c=UEjhwR7D7EBeVw

Now you know where it is, unbridge the solder join at the pads with either a knife or sharp blade (GENTLY) . Once the join is cleary un-bridged you may now solder 17kohm 1% 0402 SMD resistor OR an Axial Resistor.

Guys the first person to try this please share with us your results and pictures preferably comparing the old mod side by side to see if both are to 2 and the same in performance and wattage

EDIT: I read through some pages. Aim was to get exactly 49.9kOhm as resistor value, is that correct ?

Regards.

You read my findings as I figured out that 49.9K was the correct value and the easiest part to install is a 1/4W Axial 1% tolerance resistor. And the 5V USB fan mod was my work too. But if you can't find 49.9k easily, you can use a 50K 1% 1/4W too with the same results if not a hair more power usage, like less than .50W or something - I guess. I would not recommend going below 49.9k as it will lower the achieved efficiency and profit$!
I agree too, why all these other mods now?
Listen, go with what works. There is tons of evidence on here now that 49.9K is perfect for the job. Optimum speed, optimum hashing, minimum if not non-existent HW errors and very little added power usage.

ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 11:38:53 PM

Regards.

Anytime for you, Nemercry... I greatly appreciate you time and effort to share first the results of "R52" called mod ...!

R46 cut-off and soldering additional Rmod is Adding 16.9K to R139 = 33K ...resulting in 49,9K as you suggested in the first place...but is simpler procedure...easier to implement...and reverse...no messing with un-soldering R139  ("R52" as they called it) ...

The value of "R52" ...or to be precise R139 + Rmod in series ...doesn't NOT need to be exactly 49.9K IMHO ...this is why I just rounded to 50K...This difference has no effect on the resulting Voltage supplied to the Gridseed chips...less than couple mV ...

It is the same Mod as yours ...has the same effect...Rising the Reference voltage of the Voltage regulators...implemented in a different way...which requires less work...or possible mistakes...I believe...

ZiG

P.S.

Why I am doing this...Very simple...A friend of mine and myself are putting together Scrypt farm of 500 Gridseeds...After putting together $55,000 capital ...the order is already made and shipped...I have to come with reliable solution to squeeze every possible drop of performance...ready to go 24/7 ...and I don't want to spend my life to modify them...and babysit later...plugging-unplugging...messing with cables, hubs and what not...

Competition with Wolfey2014...the hell not...I was also telling him in the early days of this thread that I could use his services as well...NOT anymore...I'll be more than glad to hire somebody to do it... to my specs...

And after a month and a half in this thread, I just decided to share back...That's it...

Happy modding...

nemercry

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 12:00:19 AM

Regards.

Anytime for you, Nemercry... I greatly appreciate you time and effort to share first the results of "R52" called mod ...!

R46 cut-off and soldering additional Rmod is Adding 16.9K to R139 = 33K ...resulting in 49,9K as you suggested in the first place...but is simpler procedure...easier to implement...and reverse...no messing with un-soldering R139  ("R52" as they called it) ...

The value of "R52" ...or to be precise R139 + Rmod in series ...doesn't NOT need to be exactly 49.9K IMHO ...this is why I just rounded to 50K...This difference has no effect on the resulting Voltage supplied to the Gridseed chips...less than couple mV ...

It is the same Mod as yours ...has the same effect...Rising the Reference voltage of the Voltage regulators...implemented in a different way...which requires less work...or possible mistakes...I believe...

ZiG

P.S.

Why I am doing this...Very simple...A friend of mine and myself are putting together Scrypt farm of 500 Gridseeds...After putting together $55,000 capital ...the order is already made and shipped...I have to come with reliable solution to squeeze every possible drop of performance...ready to go 24/7 ...and I don't want to spend my life to modify them...and babysit later...plugging-unplugging...messing with cables, hubs and what not...

Competition with Wolfey2014...the hell not...I was also telling him in the early days of this thread that I could use his services as well...NOT anymore...I'll be more than glad to hire somebody to do it... to my specs...

And after a month and a half in this thread, I just decided to share back...That's it...

Happy modding...

Thanks for the fast and in depth reply.
I marked some spots for you. If you do only the R52 Mod (marked as nr. 1) you got the possibility to undo the mod by doing the soldering on the two yellow bridges.
If you do so you will enable the green 2 resistor. Which is the original 950mhz mod aka 36kOhm.

Can you probably post a picture of your mod ? For now i dont see why it should be faster than replacing the R52.
(Probably i missed something)

Regards nemercry

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 12:07:37 AM

For anyone that wishes to advertise mods or soldering services or whatever, please post your ad in the services section and put it in your signature. These threads are NOT for advertising.

A number of posts have been moved to services. If you think something should be still in this thread repost it. Service discussion is strictly offtopic here and will be treated as such from now on with either deletion or further bans.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Ajeto

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 12:14:15 AM

Hello Ajeto,

just remove the solder bridge and your mod will work fine.

Regards.
Thank you, it worked!
ZiG

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 12:35:37 AM

Regards.

ZiG

P.S.

Happy modding...

Thanks for the fast and in depth reply.
I marked some spots for you. If you do only the R52 Mod (marked as nr. 1) you got the possibility to undo the mod by doing the soldering on the two yellow bridges.
If you do so you will enable the green 2 resistor. Which is the original 950mhz mod aka 36kOhm.

Can you probably post a picture of your mod ? For now i dont see why it should be faster than replacing the R52.
(Probably i missed something)

Regards nemercry

Hi Nemercry,

There is just 1 (ONE) resistor to be solder...I called it Rmod =17K/16.9K...

It is to be soldered to the cut-off bridge pads of R46...1 cut...1 solder...that's it...simple...

The original resistor...Orange at position #1...You called "R52"... is in reality R139 = 33K...the  last resistor in the chain of VID resistors ...the same one that you are replacing...This one is just STAYING in place...untouched...NO un-soldering needed... simple "work?.. no thanks"... Grin

You are completely correct as of doing 2 bridges...marked "Yellow"  to "undo" the R139/"R52" mod and to shift the Voltage reference back to resistor in the "green" position...=36K...

I am doing reversal of the Rmod in R46 position by simply shorting back R46 pads...even with Rmod in it...So effectively we back to R139/"R52" value = 33K...ORIGINAL stock value...schematics...performance...etc...

I hope it is clear now... Grin

Regards, buddy...
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 12:44:01 AM

Vmod3 is a 47k or slightly higher resistor at the position most call R52.  That's it.  No other soldering anywhere. No solder bridges.  Did you solder any other places on the board?

Actually I got Confirmation that Vmod3 is 47K exact... if we are talking about the name Vmod3? As this name came from sevenholmes they do not do the 49.9k mod There Vmod4 is a 56k Resistor but with extra cooling for longer lasting device.

I personally am going for the middle 49.9k reason for this is because I already have these on the way now... aswell as cooling ontop of this .. may help with reduce of HW...

BUt I am thinking I may actually do the Zigmod by ordering 16.9K 1% 0402 and placing it on r46 may be much easier

Hey Zig,

Thanks, I really dont think it is possible to get 0 HW errors for EVERY single pod, for example if you have 30, 40, 50, 60 + devices each device may have a different setting to get it to 0 This will take you FOREVER to work out... lol Smiley

<5HW per 24 hrs is fine you will not tell the difference in accepted shares, you know how I know this? Because after 24 hrs I have noticed devices with 0 HW comparing to a device with lets say 5 or 7 and the device with 5 or 7 HW errors actually has more accepted shares than alot of the devices with 0 HW errors..

Although when you start getting 20,30,40+ HW per day this is when you can see the effects of the accepted shares.

Just my 2 cents Smiley
gtraah

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 01:07:10 AM

I just had a thought for the R46 pads since this is all alone, couldnt we solder a larger resister in the place?

PANASONIC - ERJP03F1692V - RESISTOR THICK FILM, 16.9KOHM, 1%, 0603 Price For: 25

I would imagine the 0603 is larger than the 0402?

But will this fit on the pads? PLease if someone can advise as I am in a posistion to purchase the larger ones if they work as this will be much easier right?
nst6563

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 01:21:24 AM

I just had a thought for the R46 pads since this is all alone, couldnt we solder a larger resister in the place?

PANASONIC - ERJP03F1692V - RESISTOR THICK FILM, 16.9KOHM, 1%, 0603 Price For: 25

But will this fit on the pads? PLease if someone can advise as I am in a posistion to purchase the larger ones if they work as this will be much easier right?

While the resistor itself may be larger you're still restricted to the size of the pad you're soldering to.  So if it's longer than the 402's it could effectively make things a little more difficult because it will be blocking the pads to solder to.

EDIT:  I do not know the difference in size dimensions between 0402 and 0603 other than the 0603's are larger.
happydaze

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 01:23:33 AM

Hi Nemercry,

It is to be soldered to the cut-off bridge pads of R46...1 cut...1 solder...that's it...simple...

The original resistor...Orange at position #1...You called "R52"... is in reality R139 = 33K...the  last resistor in the chain of VID resistors ...the same one that you are replacing...This one is just STAYING in place...untouched...NO un-soldering needed... simple "work?.. no thanks"... Grin

You are completely correct as of doing 2 bridges...marked "Yellow"  to "undo" the R139/"R52" mod and to shift the Voltage reference back to resistor in the "green" position...=36K...

I am doing reversal of the Rmod in R46 position by simply shorting back R46 pads...even with Rmod in it...So effectively we back to R139/"R52" value = 33K...ORIGINAL stock value...schematics...performance...etc...

Regards, buddy...

Definitely more space to work in over by R46.  I'd like to put a jumper and a resistor there but might not bother. 

That's 1/4 watt resistor in the photo (wrong value).  I could only find 1/2 watt locally today and I gave up trying to fit it in with a jumper.  Thanks for the "rollback" info Nemercry & ZiG - that gives more options should it ever be needed. 

I was having a bit of trouble soldering over at R46.  For some reason I could not get the solder to bond well on the inner point.  It would break free easily. No problem with the outer point.  I gave up and re-bridged it. That was with the 1/2 watt resistor.  I'll try again when I get the 1/4 watt resistors I ordered.
gtraah

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:01:00 AM

While the resistor itself may be larger you're still restricted to the size of the pad you're soldering to.  So if it's longer than the 402's it could effectively make things a little more difficult because it will be blocking the pads to solder to.

EDIT:  I do not know the difference in size dimensions between 0402 and 0603 other than the 0603's are larger.

Guys I think its PERFECT SIZE

http://www.topline.tv/drawings/images/capacitors/SC0603.gif

1.6mm in length this should still fit on the pads Nicely right?
ZiG

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:04:31 AM

0402 (1005 metric): 1.0 mm × 0.5 mm (0.039 in × 0.020 in). Typical power rating for resistors = 0.1 [8] or 0.062 watt[9]
0603 (1608 metric): 1.6 mm × 0.8 mm (0.063 in × 0.031 in). Typical power rating for resistors = 0.1 watt[8]

Reference ...:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 02:13:48 AM

0402 (1005 metric): 1.0 mm × 0.5 mm (0.039 in × 0.020 in). Typical power rating for resistors = 0.1 [8] or 0.062 watt[9]
0603 (1608 metric): 1.6 mm × 0.8 mm (0.063 in × 0.031 in). Typical power rating for resistors = 0.1 watt[8]

Reference ...:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology

An Axial 1/4W 1% resistor will work just fine in place of any SMD type resistor.
They are easy to find and cheap to buy!
Extremely easy - much easier than SMD resistors - to hold and solder in place.
I see the practicality of making sure the mod is reversible if one decides to revert back for SHA or DUAL mining. I'm glad someone figured this out.
Still, axial resistors are just fine to use in any case!

chanberg

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:14:08 AM

looks good... any other photos of different vantage points?
ZiG

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:23:58 AM

Hi Nemercry,

Regards, buddy...

Definitely more space to work in over by R46.  I'd like to put a jumper and a resistor there but might not bother. 

That's 1/4 watt resistor in the photo (wrong value).  I could only find 1/2 watt locally today and I gave up trying to fit it in with a jumper.  Thanks for the "rollback" info Nemercry & ZiG - that gives more options should it ever be needed. 

I was having a bit of trouble soldering over at R46.  For some reason I could not get the solder to bond well on the inner point.  It would break free easily. No problem with the outer point.  I gave up and re-bridged it. That was with the 1/2 watt resistor.  I'll try again when I get the 1/4 watt resistors I ordered.

Hey Happydaze,

The trouble you are having is caused by the red layer on the top of the board...so called "Solder protective mask" ...it is preventing the solder to stick to the surface of the board except to the designated for soldering actual components/parts...

Because R46 is just a bridge of copper trace between 2 pads...without actual component present...they cover the whole area with this red mask...including pads and the bridge ...

So, you need to SCRATCH the pads...VERY GENTLY...to remove the red top layer...and to uncover the THIN copper surface underneath...Be CAREFUL...no force...otherwise it is easy to remove the pad(s) itself...the same way as you remove the copper bridge in between...

After that...Use the flux and solder to try to cover the pads with nice small ball of solder...before actually soldering the new Rmod  

Hope it'll solve your problem...

ZiG  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: