Bitcoin Forum
July 12, 2024, 12:25:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156980 times)
gtraah

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 04:13:54 PM

Bit of a noob question here. I have no idea how to solder and replace resistors and stuff. Is there a pencil mod for the gridseed?
not really. you could try the simple bridge-voltmod with silver pcb paint

Is there a proper simple tutorial for noobs?

I do not solder for a living, i have soldered before but this was years ago in a mobile shop, anyway you need confidence , sharp tip pencil iron, magnifying glass stand , flux + solder and some resistors. Some people do the axial resistor as they think its easier as its larger etc.. I just dove straight into the deep end and used the tiny 0402 smd resistor.. No probs although first few pods took longer then i just got used to it, by the end of it i was Dissembling, Removing old resistor, soldering new one, cleaning, testing then applying thermal paste and then reassembling i was rippin each pod in 10 minutes after i got used to it.

I did not follow a guide I just saw a few pictures and put 1 + 1 together, but if you feel u need a good guide here is the best there is I think... I wish I had this when I was doing mine, i was asking around for quite some time until I eventually just said fk it I think I know how to do it and did it.

follow this >> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=575315.0

Good Luck

PS - Do the 49.9k resistor and clock to 1200Mhz for a clean 510KH with little to no HW errors per 24 hrs, Dont worry if some pods get <15 HW per 24 hrs.. This is Ok! the accepted shares are still in the same area as the pods with no HW errors
kusul

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 06:44:05 PM

Hello,
Does anybody knows the capacity of the cap circled in red?

http://hostmypicture.com/images/clipboard0.jpg
happydaze

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:45:13 PM

2.2nF in the docs

Firebird2000

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 01:00:41 AM

For some reason my units are dropping like flies.  In the past 24hr three units have burned the USB ferrite bead.  I can't seem to make any connections for why this is happening, one unit has VOLT mod 1; two bridges, has been running for a month.  The other two have "R-52 or R139" mod with 47k and 50k resistor, also been running stable for a month.  None of the units shared the same USB hub so I crossed that off the list of possible failures,  two shared the same power supply but the ferrite bead that burned is for the USB hense 5volts so not sure if that would have mattered.  I am lost finding any correlations between the units that failed, possibly just a coincidence or a weak part, but its suspicious that 3 have failed in the past 24.  We shall see, now have to order new parts and wait to get them back online.  

Could just be fate Wink

Are you using one of those crappy LED power supplies? Could be the cause and a sign that it's about to crap out and ruin all your miners.

I'm using high grade clean switch mode power supplies. Never use cheap crap power bricks or LED power supplies. LED's don't care about high ripple. Seeds do!

Remember, warm seeds are better than cooked seeds  Grin

Good luck!

This seems to be hppening to me as well.
It started today. Out of my 10 units, 3 have dropped out on me.
All have the 49.9k Mod.
I am using a 1200W Gold rated power supply, PCIE connectors to run them.
They have been going along perfectly for a few weeks now, until today.
Now I have 3 dead soldiers.
I run them remotely, so I won't be able to look at them until tomorrow.
But...something is going on here....I'm a bit worried about the other 7......
ZiG

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:03:46 AM

For some reason my units are dropping like flies.  In the past 24hr three units have burned the USB ferrite bead.  I can't seem to make any connections for why this is happening, one unit has VOLT mod 1; two bridges, has been running for a month.  The other two have "R-52 or R139" mod with 47k and 50k resistor, also been running stable for a month.  None of the units shared the same USB hub so I crossed that off the list of possible failures,  two shared the same power supply but the ferrite bead that burned is for the USB hense 5volts so not sure if that would have mattered.  I am lost finding any correlations between the units that failed, possibly just a coincidence or a weak part, but its suspicious that 3 have failed in the past 24.  We shall see, now have to order new parts and wait to get them back online.  

Could just be fate Wink

Are you using one of those crappy LED power supplies? Could be the cause and a sign that it's about to crap out and ruin all your miners.

I'm using high grade clean switch mode power supplies. Never use cheap crap power bricks or LED power supplies. LED's don't care about high ripple. Seeds do!

Good luck!

All have the 49.9k Mod.

@Firebird2000 and @poopypants ...:

Could both of you measure the voltage on C42 ( DVDD ) and POST it back...?

Check the dead ones too...

ZiG
poopypants

Activity: 134

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:47:19 AM

Could just be fate Wink

Good luck!

All have the 49.9k Mod.

@Firebird2000 and @poopypants ...:

Could both of you measure the voltage on C42 ( DVDD ) and POST it back...?

Check the dead ones too...

ZiG

Sure give me a little when I get home, Ill post.

FireBird2000 is it the USB ferrite bead?  FB25, that burned?  Cause that is what happened to mine.  One is still running, after the transplant from the other units FB26.

Einsteinium: http://einsteinium.org/    Helping advance Science

SilkCoin: BCZFuLUX2XfGF4W5cRK3efcg6U5Pv1tuaj
nst6563

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 03:43:17 PM

Just curious....but is the 5v USB fan mod on these gridseeds that have the failed USB ferrite bead?  It could be the added current usage of the fan stresses it enough over time to the point of failure as I'm sure the USB circuitry wasn't designed with the load of the fan in mind.  I'm not saying it can't handle it, because there is plenty of power from the USB port for a fan, but given the build quality of these things it really wouldn't surprise me.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:17:46 PM

If you're just bridging the one or two locations then it should work.  When I first did the bridge mod I just used a small portion (1/4 inch or less) of the lead from a 1/8w axial resistor with a bend in it for easy handling with a pair of tweezers.

one or two?

In the OP's picture I see only one green square location.
nst6563

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:32:02 PM

If you're just bridging the one or two locations then it should work.  When I first did the bridge mod I just used a small portion (1/4 inch or less) of the lead from a 1/8w axial resistor with a bend in it for easy handling with a pair of tweezers.

one or two?

It really depends.  Just bridging the one location listed in the OP then you'll need to specify voltage=1 in the command line in order to activate the higher voltage. 
If you check out this guide here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=575315.0 it has many pictures of the different voltmods.  For bridging the location(s), in his pics, the blue circle enables the use of the voltage=1 parameter in some mining software.  Bridging location 2 (the yellow circle) enables the higher voltage without the need of specifying the voltage=1 parameter.
pekv2

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:40:47 PM

one or two?

It really depends.  Just bridging the one location listed in the OP then you'll need to specify voltage=1 in the command line in order to activate the higher voltage. 
If you check out this guide here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=575315.0 it has many pictures of the different voltmods.  For bridging the location(s), in his pics, the blue circle enables the use of the voltage=1 parameter in some mining software.  Bridging location 2 (the yellow circle) enables the higher voltage without the need of specifying the voltage=1 parameter.

Ok, thanks, nst6563. I am not touching either of those, I was going to use the circuitwtriter pen, but I think the tip is to large and it might squeeze to much goo out. man i wish I knew how to solder perfectly.

I have a gridseed here unmodded that is just begging for the permanent volt mod.
nst6563

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:04:05 PM

one or two?

Ok, thanks, nst6563. I am not touching either of those, I was going to use the circuitwtriter pen, but I think the tip is to large and it might squeeze to much goo out. man i wish I knew how to solder perfectly.

I have a gridseed here unmodded that is just begging for the permanent volt mod.

I'd like to say it's really easy...but that's because I've been soldering for at least 15 years, but honestly...if you're just bridging two locations, it is easy.  Just google some soldering tutorials and practice on some junk first.  Anything will do, old phone, old hard drive, etc.  Just as long as the components are small, it will give you something to practice on without the worry of ruining something. 
If you use a small piece of wire, just tin the wire with solder first, lay it across the location to bridge and touch the iron to each pad just long enough to melt the solder.  Trim off any excess and you're done.  Just remember not to use a LOT of solder.  A little goes a long way.

That's about the best advice I could give short of paying someone to do the mod (which in my opinion is actually counter-productive as you're spending yet more money). 
pekv2

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:15:18 PM

one or two?

I'd like to say it's really easy...but that's because I've been soldering for at least 15 years, but honestly...if you're just bridging two locations, it is easy.  Just google some soldering tutorials and practice on some junk first.  Anything will do, old phone, old hard drive, etc.  Just as long as the components are small, it will give you something to practice on without the worry of ruining something. 
If you use a small piece of wire, just tin the wire with solder first, lay it across the location to bridge and touch the iron to each pad just long enough to melt the solder.  Trim off any excess and you're done.  Just remember not to use a LOT of solder.  A little goes a long way.

That's about the best advice I could give short of paying someone to do the mod (which in my opinion is actually counter-productive as you're spending yet more money). 

I took a look at them through the cooling fins, they are microscopic. Thank you for the advice. And yes it makes me very upset I cannot do it myself. It's so simple but yet I could trash 80 bucks down the drain for nothing in which my shaky hands will do. I got bad shaky hands.

You have any advice of any forum members willing to get payed to do it or is it just not worth it?
Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:57:55 PM

I got bad shaky hands.
try to support your hands somewhere on the table of softly on the miner

i have shaky hands too but with a bit of practice and concentration i learned to handle it

remember to get a decent solder station or at least a 0,5mm tip first!
pekv2

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 06:37:49 PM

I got bad shaky hands.
try to support your hands somewhere on the table of softly on the miner

i have shaky hands too but with a bit of practice and concentration i learned to handle it

remember to get a decent solder station or at least a 0,5mm tip first!

+more I needed to hear. Thanks!

I @ new to this, how much for a decent soldering station? And does a soldering station come with a 0,5mm tip?
nst6563

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:01:50 PM

Radio shack has your average 25-40w (non adjustable) irons for around $14.  I don't recall if they come with a fine tip or not.  I think they sell tips for up to $5.  It's been awhile to be honest since I've looked into buying equipment. 

Actual 'stations' are much more generally.  Some come with a small number of accessories, others don't.  You could check Amazon/google to see the range.
dyland

Activity: 238

We must become the pitiless censors of ourselves.

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:04:01 PM

Has anyone encountered the following problem?:

I am running 20 grid seeds off a pi running hashra controlla (BFGminer). These are recently volt-modded 47.7k resistor to go about 510khsh.

PROBLEM: They are showing 510khsh on the controller, controller shows very little hw rejects at 1200, but poolside they only report about half that.

When I take I clock it back down to 800 from 1200, controller and poolside are aligned at about 340 per unit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Blackcoin ~ 10 second transactions (fastest coin) ~ 100% proof of stake (the first) ~ No wasteful mining (most efficient)
happydaze

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:21:27 PM

dyland - how long do you let them run before changing settings?
I don't use a  hashra controlla.  One pool I'm on shows 24 hr hashrate.  If I look at it after 6 hours the hash rate will be low.  After 24 hrs it is what I expect to see.

Another way to check would be the amount of coins mined per 24 hrs.
dyland

Activity: 238

We must become the pitiless censors of ourselves.

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:34:31 PM

dyland - how long do you let them run before changing settings?
I don't use a  hashra controlla.  One pool I'm on shows 24 hr hashrate.  If I look at it after 6 hours the hash rate will be low.  After 24 hrs it is what I expect to see.

Another way to check would be the amount of coins mined per 24 hrs.

I have run for 12 hours at a time with two different multipools and the results are the same: about exactly half the hashes I should have for my 20 seeds (have about 5M, when I should have 10M-as per controller). When I clock it back down to 850kHz the alignment matches up between contoller and pool (have 7.2M on both controller and pool).

Is anyone here running on the China-supplied silver PSUs with multiple connectors and 20 volt-mods? I wonder if the power supply may be an issue.

Blackcoin ~ 10 second transactions (fastest coin) ~ 100% proof of stake (the first) ~ No wasteful mining (most efficient)
happydaze

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:52:12 PM

Another pool I'm on shows a 12 hr hash rate.  Do you know what the pools you're using show? 12 hr, 24 hr or something else?  Just trying to eliminate some things here.  Running 12 hrs on a pools that shows 24hr hashrate would probably show about half what you expect.
RowanX

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:18:08 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 10:31:08 PM by RowanX

I haven't been following this thread for a while but when I was, I could not find any photos of the underside of the Gridseed PCB. I took some today, hope this is useful to someone:

Sorry they are pretty terrible quality but they should give Gridseed virgins a fair idea of what to expect when they take the bottom heatsink off. Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: