Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:47:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156979 times)
Ferris419

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 04:09:42 AM

[/quote]

I have had 0 luck finding these. Can an expert here help me to find these or find something that will work to replace these? I can't believe I'm the only person here who had a problem with them getting hot and breaking.... These are 2 seperate pods and both chips look the same like the got hot and cracked Huh
[/quote]

U29 is a "dual unbuffered inverter"  http://www.nxp.com/products/logic/buffers_inverters_drivers/series/74HC2GU04.html - see the ordering tab on that same page

I posted that back on May 14, have you tried that link and through the Order tab?  If so you should have seen that Mouser carries that part (direct link: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP-Semiconductors/74HC2GU04GW125/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutVWjHE%2fYQwzJv2zzn7Nf7MNFQIOCd6fU%3d)

That at least gets you one part.  I'll try to see if I can locate the other (not likely since UPI is almost exclusively overseas) or see if I can find a close match as a replacement.
[/quote]

Ahhh ok yeah I can order that part.... Also I need that k3 ocv 1500 2.5v capacitor as well. But trying to find it on mouser is a pain cause I don't know what type of cap it is lol I know I'm a noob I can solder and des older just can't tell you what these parts actually are or do :-/

Bitcoin is gonna hit 100K usd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nst6563

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 04:51:11 AM

I have had 0 luck finding these. Can an expert here help me to find these or find something that will work to replace these? I can't believe I'm the only person here who had a problem with them getting hot and breaking.... These are 2 seperate pods and both chips look the same like the got hot and cracked Huh

Ahhh ok yeah I can order that part.... Also I need that k3 ocv 1500 2.5v capacitor as well. But trying to find it on mouser is a pain cause I don't know what type of cap it is lol I know I'm a noob I can solder and des older just can't tell you what these parts actually are or do :-/

One of these (on Mouser) should work to replace that cap for you:
(lower ESR, high max operating temp -105c)http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/RHS0E152MCN1GS/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7Ye%2fNPNo2iY8dAf%2fDSLl3Rms%3d
(almost identical to the one above) http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/RPS0E152MCN1GS/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YQV4YX3XLubtqqhNcJzO7dE%3d
(Higher ESR rating - may not matter) http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lelon/OVU152M0ETR-1013/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YSq9fmJ9q4PS0C50raOgimc%3d
gbyg

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 09:36:28 PM

Some of the specs on that part look excessive.  You'll want to match the specs as closely to this as possible: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4m5vu4k5jgopk8/qm3022m6_ubiq.pdf

It's basically a 30v N-Channel mosfet with a 7mOhm RDSon and a 76A ID@25c (Continuous current drain at 25c).  You'll want to match the gate charge as close as possible as well.

I burnt out that same mosfet (3022m) and replaced it with the following: http://www.ti.com/product/CSD17552Q5A.  I blew my mosfet when curiosity got the best of me and I tried to dual mine with the voltmod at 1100Mhz.  Moral of the story...don't do that.  Don't even think of doing it.  I replaced my mosfet with the one from TI and it's back up and running but it's a little crippled.  Chip 3 seems to generate some errors no matter what speed, but it still hashes and I still get around 439khs from that gridseed.

I use 39AMP ID@25C mosfet just because i couldn't find more then 39AMP. there is few pin exposed on the bottom of the board. which was isolated by thermal pad. when i swap the pad with grease, those exposed shorted with the ground. and my 12 volt was off. nothing blew. so i think this mosfet start draining the current before any other part(like FB23/24) damage. which making me think that its better to use lower amp? i am not expert on this, what you think?
nst6563

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:41:52 PM

Some of the specs on that part look excessive.  You'll want to match the specs as closely to this as possible: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4m5vu4k5jgopk8/qm3022m6_ubiq.pdf

It's basically a 30v N-Channel mosfet with a 7mOhm RDSon and a 76A ID@25c (Continuous current drain at 25c).  You'll want to match the gate charge as close as possible as well.

I burnt out that same mosfet (3022m) and replaced it with the following: http://www.ti.com/product/CSD17552Q5A.  I blew my mosfet when curiosity got the best of me and I tried to dual mine with the voltmod at 1100Mhz.  Moral of the story...don't do that.  Don't even think of doing it.  I replaced my mosfet with the one from TI and it's back up and running but it's a little crippled.  Chip 3 seems to generate some errors no matter what speed, but it still hashes and I still get around 439khs from that gridseed.

I use 39AMP ID@25C mosfet just because i couldn't find more then 39AMP. there is few pin exposed on the bottom of the board. which was isolated by thermal pad. when i swap the pad with grease, those exposed shorted with the ground. and my 12 volt was off. nothing blew. so i think this mosfet start draining the current before any other part(like FB23/24) damage. which making me think that its better to use lower amp? i am not expert on this, what you think?

Well, I don't think the seeds "require" 76A - especially in scrypt only mode, but when replacing a part you should always try to match the original specs as close as possible when we don't know the original design engineering considerations. 

As for the short - I think you're lucky Wink  Shorts often don't leave components untouched - so I'd be on the lookout on that particular gridseed for any premature failure down the road.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:15:27 AM

Can someone recommend me a cheap soldering iron to do this job? I found this, but a friend said that the tip was too big, and he told me to use this one.
byt411

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:28:45 PM

Re: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod

Can someone recommend me a cheap soldering iron to do this job? I found this, but a friend said that the tip was too big, and he told me to use this one.

Weller is a good brand, but to find the one to do the job, someone else might have to answer. You can find the pencils for cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/279-0000000-0000000?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=weller+soldering

Thanks. By the way, does anyone know someone that still sells gridseed 5 chips?
byt411

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:36:00 PM

Re: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod

Weller is a good brand, but to find the one to do the job, someone else might have to answer. You can find the pencils for cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/279-0000000-0000000?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=weller+soldering

Thanks. By the way, does anyone know someone that still sells gridseed 5 chips?

http://hash-master.com/item-type/asic-scrypt-miners

http://zoomhash.com/collections/asics/products/same-day-shipping-gridseed-320-420-kh-s-asic-scrypt-sha-miner-ships-from-los-angeles

That's too expensive, I need to pay an additional $49.99 shipping since i'm in europe.
I was gonna buy from GAWMiners but they removed the product.
Has anyone used sevengnomes.com? Is it legit?
chanberg

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:31:03 PM

what is the replacement part for this blown mosfet again?

Is it this one? http://www.ti.com/product/CSD17552Q5A

nst6563

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:57:51 PM

That's what I replaced mine with yes.  It's close to the original specs, but not exactly.  I tried a couple different ones from TI and they didn't work.  The 2Q5A ended up working so I left it with that.

What happened for yours to look like that?  I tried dual mining with a 47k voltmod...won't do that again.
chanberg

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:22:52 PM

That's what I replaced mine with yes.  It's close to the original specs, but not exactly.  I tried a couple different ones from TI and they didn't work.  The 2Q5A ended up working so I left it with that.

What happened for yours to look like that?  I tried dual mining with a 47k voltmod...won't do that again.

Just regular scrypt mining on a 47k resistor mod.

Think I'm gonna get some small heatsinks and attach it on all my seeds.

The picture above is what I found on google matching my problem but this is what happened to mine

toxic0n

Activity: 413

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:36:44 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the GC3355-Q64 chips themselves? Has anyone replaced one before?
nst6563

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:47:35 PM

What happened for yours to look like that?  I tried dual mining with a 47k voltmod...won't do that again.

The picture above is what I found on google matching my problem but this is what happened to mine

Wow...no pinched fan cables or anything?  How long has that one been mining up until that happened?  What type of power supply were you using?  What's the ambient temp where it's mining?

Sorry for the questions, but I've got 6 that have the 49.9k/50k mod.  3 have been running non-stop 24x7 for 2 months, the other 3 have been running non-stop for about 3 weeks now.  When I've modded them, I did add some small heatsinks to the mosfets because a little extra cooling never hurts when overclocking anything.
gbyg

Activity: 71

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:30:28 PM

Wow...no pinched fan cables or anything?  How long has that one been mining up until that happened?  What type of power supply were you using?  What's the ambient temp where it's mining?

Sorry for the questions, but I've got 6 that have the 49.9k/50k mod.  3 have been running non-stop 24x7 for 2 months, the other 3 have been running non-stop for about 3 weeks now.  When I've modded them, I did add some small heatsinks to the mosfets because a little extra cooling never hurts when overclocking anything.

I suppose repeated high current spikes and overheat may help damage the mosfet, I think those little LFPAK rated for 76AMP might be possible but to allow continues drain @76AMP the pad need to be able to handle the heat dissipation of SMD mosfets. Which explain why they are overheated and blow. For same reason anything to cool this baby down will help bigtime!!
nst6563

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:47:45 PM

I suppose repeated high current spikes and overheat may help damage the mosfet, I think those little LFPAK rated for 76AMP might be possible but to allow continues drain @76AMP the pad need to be able to handle the heat dissipation of SMD mosfets. Which explain why they are overheated and blow. For same reason anything to cool this baby down will help bigtime!!

If that's the case then the heatsinks that will fit in that small location won't do much good at all unless they have airflow.  Time to look into some better cooling options than the small hs I put on them.
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 11:17:42 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the GC3355-Q64 chips themselves? Has anyone replaced one before?

I believe Hashra intends to offer replacement chips for the seeds at some point. Probably after they start selling more of the latest super duper S, SN, X11 etc. hashers coming out starting now....
Contact support for more info. Tellum Wolfey sent ya. Wink

I'm so lucky I don't have any failed seeds... I'd hate to have to deal with those hassles!
Damn things better work as advertised, or else I'm gonna be pissed  Angry

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 11:43:10 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2014, 03:04:36 AM by wolfey2014

Wow...no pinched fan cables or anything?  How long has that one been mining up until that happened?  What type of power supply were you using?  What's the ambient temp where it's mining?

Sorry for the questions, but I've got 6 that have the 49.9k/50k mod.  3 have been running non-stop 24x7 for 2 months, the other 3 have been running non-stop for about 3 weeks now.  When I've modded them, I did add some small heatsinks to the mosfets because a little extra cooling never hurts when overclocking anything.

X-cuse me yooze guys,..

You're talkin about our little 5 chip seeds, right? How the F**k can they be blowing up FB's and FET's and Hash chips like that?
I'm just amazed at how many seeds are taking a dump for no good reason.
Have any of you attempted mods different than those specified where known proper and workable alterations go? You know, the ones where the top heat sink is left on with fan running at either full or a bit less than half speed?

My guesses are: inadequate cooling via alterations that have backfired under normal Scrypt overclocking.
The entire card is meant to be FAN FORCE COOLED even though they are not directly sandwich style heat sinked the same way the main hash chips are. I know this for a fact because I recently took apart and dusted off 6 of them as part of converting 5V USB to 5V regulated via 12V source after months of 24/7 cooling at 5V fan speed.

Perhaps it was a batch of bad FET's and or Hash chips or even FB's...It HAPPENS! And it is quite possible we are witnessing one of those coincidences right here on our forum. More than one person in the group got stuck with a faulty seed or seeds from one of those bad batches. There are always a small % of DOA's in most batches, I am sure.

Some yet discovered mistake being made during any of the VMOD's?

Reasons for my amazement:
Scrypt should not cause an over-strain on any components! Period!
After all, they are made to run SHA-256 at 60+W, for Aunt Jamima's sake!
Scrypt at full blast won't even touch that figure if even by half! NEVER! Or something is very wrong with the components.

I've had 6 overclocked seeds running for months now virtually 24/7 with no adverse hardware issues  or firmware issues, whatsoever! Just like it should be. I also have 20 more that have been running faithfully for weeks same same.

Worrying about using more powerful FET's is a waste of time for if you have to, then there is something wrong with your seed/s! Something else on there is backing up current flow where it shoudn't be and causing failures. They are defective! So you're either stuck with a patched up overheating POS now or shyt can them and buy some new ones. Maybe you can swing a discount, that is - if you can get your supplier to feel sorry for you Wink

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
chanberg

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:37:03 AM

No pinched fan cables or anything. They have been running fine overclocked for months now since mid march. Out of the 22 only this one has a burned MOSFET. So I'm guessing I had a bad one in the batch. But yeah a little heat sink won't hurt nobody hah Oh and I'm using these with custom cables to an ax1200.
highwalker

Activity: 45
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:57:14 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2014, 01:12:26 PM by highwalker

Wow...no pinched fan cables or anything?  How long has that one been mining up until that happened?  What type of power supply were you using?  What's the ambient temp where it's mining?

Sorry for the questions, but I've got 6 that have the 49.9k/50k mod.  3 have been running non-stop 24x7 for 2 months, the other 3 have been running non-stop for about 3 weeks now.  When I've modded them, I did add some small heatsinks to the mosfets because a little extra cooling never hurts when overclocking anything.

What heatsinks fit the mosfets? Can you share that please? It might be useful for lot of folks who have modded their gridseeds.

I have knocked off the thermal pads (bottom and top). Bottom I have used thermal paste and direct contact to the heatsink (insulated the troublesome areas), since anyways the ground-pour in the bottom is connected to the heatsink (via the brass nuts). On the top, I have added copper shims and thermal paste and direct heatsink. The copper shims were 15x15mm which I split into 4 (7.2x7.2) using my trusty Dremel. The heatsink on the top (non fan side) get slightly warm @1200 for the GS.

I think the copper shim works good in the way I have done, since the shims on top ensure a proper contact in the bottom...

I am using a 47k axial resistor mod.

Here's a pic:

EDIT: And before anyone tells me about the hazards of the silver thermal paste... this is CoolerMaster ThermalFusion 400 (Electrially Non-conductive, high thermal efficiency paste...) :-)
nst6563

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:46:27 PM

What heatsinks fit the mosfets? Can you share that please? It might be useful for lot of folks who have modded their gridseeds.

I have knocked off the thermal pads (bottom and top). Bottom I have used thermal paste and direct contact to the heatsink (insulated the troublesome areas), since anyways the ground-pour in the bottom is connected to the heatsink (via the brass nuts). On the top, I have added copper shims and thermal paste and direct heatsink. The copper shims were 15x15mm which I split into 4 (7.2x7.2) using my trusty Dremel. The heatsink on the top (non fan side) get slightly warm @1200 for the GS.

I think the copper shim works good in the way I have done, since the shims on top ensure a proper contact in the bottom...

EDIT: And before anyone tells me about the hazards of the silver thermal paste... this is CoolerMaster ThermalFusion 400 (Electrially Non-conductive, high thermal efficiency paste...) :-)

Well...I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the heatsink....I'm sort of a collector of such things since you never know when or what you might need one for.  I've saved them all from past motherboards.  The one I used was an old northbridge heatsink.  I can take some pics and measurements today and post those.  The fins are MAYBE 2-3mm high.  Taller can be used...maybe 4-5mm....so whatever you use in that location will need airflow to really be effective.
highwalker

Activity: 45
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 04:07:38 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2014, 04:26:08 PM by highwalker

Well...I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the heatsink....I'm sort of a collector of such things since you never know when or what you might need one for.  I've saved them all from past motherboards.  The one I used was an old northbridge heatsink.  I can take some pics and measurements today and post those.  The fins are MAYBE 2-3mm high.  Taller can be used...maybe 4-5mm....so whatever you use in that location will need airflow to really be effective.

Do share the pics, mucho gracias!! I might also have some lying around and with the help of the Dremel, will fit some on the MOSFET's, which I believe really need the heatsinks with the mod.

BTW, whats the package size? Let me look up on Mouser as well...
Pages: « 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: