Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:34:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CARBONCOIN: The Completely Carbon Neutral Cryptocurrency  (Read 76004 times)
maardein

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:27:01 PM

They dont want the site disclosed because they dont want people to feel like they can just turn up and visit, I assume. This will not be an issue with some subsequent sites, but I feel finding this one to get things started has been quite a significant achievement!

Ok, fine, but with the amount of scams going on here having some verification would be nice. Even if the photo is real, there is no proof this is your plantation and not just a random one. The method you propose could be good, although a 10BTC donation may be a bit on the high end.

My apologies about the colourisation - that was an artistic touch done by one of the team - but does not affect the accuracy of the trees or the validity of the image. The bottom one (and the one originally posted in this thread) is pretty much as shot fyi.

Ok. The bottom photo also looks a bit strange to me. However, I have just spent a good 15 min googleing images of tree tubes, and they seem to play tricks with the camera more often, since they are highly translucent.

Now, I am going to be slightly firm with you here regarding your suggestion (insult) that the trees have been planted too close together to be able to grow and not in straight lines.

Firstly, can you let me know what experience you have of professional forestry?

It is much better for trees to be planted not in straight lines, the spacing is the key thing. Heard of up and down ploughing? Primary school geography... Same principle just bigger.

These trees have been planted in accordance with the density guidelines of the Forestry Commission by a professional in the field (yes! Smiley ).

The second thing is, how on earth can you profess to know the spacing of the trees from a photograph taken near horizontally? You absolutely can't. The trees, which I was comfortably standing amongst and walking through, are all over one metre apart. Have you something against what we are trying to do here? Strikes me with this you are being a little too skeptical.

No, I have no experience in professional forestry. I do understand that spacing is the key, and straight lines aren't necessary, but still the spacing seems highly irregular.

What is it in particular you are finding hard to believe? It's good to know so that I can address this as a matter of urgency.

As a side note I would be grateful for any suggestions you may have of material ideas for helping the environment and cleaning up the atmosphere and then perhaps we can look to getting those actioned

I'm finding it hard to believe you are actually buying trees from the donated money, instead of just taking photographs of a random tree plantation and claiming it's yours. There have been so many scams around here, and to me this just sounds like the latest incarnation of a scamcoin. Yes, I may be extremely sceptical, but so are many other on this forum atm. Without some solid proof that you are actually doing what you say you are doing, I see no reason to believe you.

BTC: 1788UegKXGXXicfPcbZ1bmSUJ99ZWRCF7p
LTC: LZ2rCcoxK4X8wRRynqdxoimd4d3TDNk7Lk
PMP: PApSSdorQds5tQysymwDXPAN3viJLFTUs8
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
morphtrust

Activity: 259

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 03:59:59 AM

for anyone serious about planting plants and wanting to make sure they don't die from lack of water, you can use this design pretty cheaply, just bury one to 3 of them around your tree or plant and it collects water to deliver it to the root system directly so it does not evaporate.

any questions feel free to message me. Smiley

"Violence, is the last refuge of the incompetent."
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:01:20 PM

I like the direction this coin is going. AM, I think you have a good thing going here. Having a coin with a true purpose is rare these days. Most coins lately have been *Insert country here*coin with 50% premine/IPO scams, or just your average run-of-the-mill meme based coin.

Really looking forward to spring time now so I can plant some more shrubs and a sapling or two in my yard!

Zebedee23
Legendary

Activity: 2086

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:13:40 PM

I like the direction this coin is going. AM, I think you have a good thing going here. Having a coin with a true purpose is rare these days. Most coins lately have been *Insert country here*coin with 50% premine/IPO scams, or just your average run-of-the-mill meme based coin.

Really looking forward to spring time now so I can plant some more shrubs and a sapling or two in my yard!

I completely agree!! This idea is genius and much needed in the crypto community!!! This will be massive and picked up far and wide! Watch this space!!!!

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
██████████        ▀████████
█████████    ████▄  █████████
█████████▀▀  ▀▀▀▀   █████████
█████████▄▄  ▄▄   ▄██████████
▀██████████  ███▄  ▀████████▀
▀█████████▄▄█████▄▄███████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Reserve.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
████████▀▀▀███▀▀▀████████
█████████   ███   █████████
███████               ███████
██████████   ███   ██████████
▀██████               ██████▀
▀████████   ███   ████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄███▄▄▄███████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀

.Reserve Your Rights.
Zebedee23
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:42:10 PM

being noticed in twitter, this guy 101K followers

https://twitter.com/jayandrewstarr/status/447444245087911936

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Reserve.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀

.Reserve Your Rights.
axismundi (OP)

Activity: 407

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 09:32:14 PM

Ok, I am NOT saying this is a scam. But it sure looks like one to me. The photo looks fake. There is no reason to hide where the trees are???

Also, if you are making a coin thats supposed to be good for the environment,  why on earth would you choose PoW??

Is escrow able to be used?

If this is not a scam, then I would put some thought into making this seem more credible, as you have a great concept here. You may get my support, if lets just say the trees are not in some secret location lol.

Im not posting this to be mean. Im hoping you are for real as this IS a great idea.  Im saying this because if im thinking this, others will too. And I want this to work. The way you are currently presenting this you are going to receive a very limited amount of support IMO

Hi Chris,

I am doing my best to ease people's concerns - I have started this campaign in good faith because I care about the environment and think something really needs doing to mend the impact we are all having by being involved in cryptocurrencies. I am happy to have a skype conversation with you so you can get an understanding that I am for real and see where I am coming from.

The location is not a secret but I have been asked by the family who own the estate not to disclose the whereabouts publicly. I intend to respect this. I will arrange a trip to the site for 5 individuals to verify it - so (to everyone) if you are in London then come forward.

We can definitely use an escrow but I think that this is of limited value because then we have to go through exactly the same process determining the trustworthiness of the escrow and we further relinquish control of the funds - what happens if the escrow gets "robbed"? I can just see that happening.

I want to remind you that as a community one of the beautiful things about the blockchain is that we can audit it ourselves. I would like to invite you to check out the wallet addresses on the blockchains. As funds begin to accumulate, outgoing transactions from the wallets will be individually justified (transaction to exchange, fiat money sale etc) and I will remain fully accountable.

Re. the photo: I really didn't realise that my photography skills were so bad! I did take a few (i thought worse) shots of the plot from different angles would it help you if I posted them? Also some of 3 plots on the estate which we will be planting through this fundraising. It is very difficult to capture the scale of the project form the ground.

Re. The PoW - I think it is very important to get the mining community involved because it is vital that they become aware of the need for what we are doing.

We have a short half life so lots of coins released early on. I am going to look into a possible fork to PoS in 6 months time, once the true value is established, and would definitely need all the help I can get to bring that to fruition.

Thank you kindly for your questions - very constructive!

AM

axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 10:14:45 PM

I'm finding it hard to believe you are actually buying trees from the donated money, instead of just taking photographs of a random tree plantation and claiming it's yours. There have been so many scams around here, and to me this just sounds like the latest incarnation of a scamcoin. Yes, I may be extremely sceptical, but so are many other on this forum atm. Without some solid proof that you are actually doing what you say you are doing, I see no reason to believe you.

Thank you for your well considered response. I understand the issue regarding scam coins - I have seen many of them happen and I wish the full force of karma on every one of the pathetic wasters that have ever created one. They belong in prison. I should add I did not get taken in by any of them personally, but I really do not like the culture of dishonesty that has developed due in part to lack of regulation, and the existence of scumbags.

What do you think of my suggestion to take a few people from the community to the site in the first instance? The 10 BTC is not actually high ongoing because if this project takes off the way that it should do, when you and others realise I am actually planting trees because I want to help the planet, then organising lots of trips for smaller donors could easily turn into a bit of a nightmare.

I am working on the mechanism for getting the money from crypto to saplings, labour etc. I am probably going to register a charity, and when I have done this everything will be fully auditable as a matter of public record. Crypto fundraising can start in advance of these logistics. This is to be a lot of work but I am not one to be scared off by a challenge.

The right time of year to plant the rest of the trees for this first phase of the project is around October time. In addition to the UK estate there is a huge ranch in the USA which has space/permission for over 1M trees. What I am saying to you is that right now we can raise up to $8M and have that total planted out within a year. If we raise more, I will find more places and plant more - and the what's in it for me? - doing this is going to make me extremely happy. This is a lot bigger than some pathetic rip off attempt - this helps everything and everyone. Think your grandchildren's grandchildren.

Zebedee23
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 10:53:23 PM

Im In London and would more than happy to come along when you want to organise a verification visit. Dont let the doubters get you down and keep on doing what you are doing and make this go far!!!!

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Reserve.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀

.Reserve Your Rights.
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 11:36:05 PM

Great responses AM. I also support the idea of a fork for POS in the near future. Hopefully investors will begin to take notice soon and start buying enough CARB to get us out of the 1 satoshi funk. I hate to say it, but there needs to be more value to this coin for it to be attractive and more easily usable. Take for instance the current price of 1 million CARB per tree. While to those with lots of hashing power, that may not seem like much. But to a lowly CPU miner like myself, with just under 120k worth of mined CARB... well, I can't even buy a branch off of a sapling for that.  Cool Maybe once my wife graduates nursing school I will have more money available to invest in it though. In the meantime, I will continue mining and doing my part to spread the word!

DemetriusAstroBlack

Activity: 338

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 11:45:10 PM

IMO carbon offsetting is bull.  Come plant some trees on my property in Oregon so my kids can clear them and get rich.  How do we know this isn't happening?  If they are never going to be cleared then what happens when tree gets old? it dies and rots, putting the carbon right back into the air...might as well use the resource right?

Tip me BTC: 1MQ3JmX3xsnQqwEu7MB75GwxMtzKxJm4ha
axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 01:49:42 AM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 02:01:53 AM by axismundi

IMO carbon offsetting is bull.  Come plant some trees on my property in Oregon so my kids can clear them and get rich.  How do we know this isn't happening?  If they are never going to be cleared then what happens when tree gets old? it dies and rots, putting the carbon right back into the air...might as well use the resource right?

Well this is extraordinarily nearsighted of you IMO and your post is rather cynical.

You want to guarantee to me that your land will remain as forest (and also provided you have enough of it) then we might come and plant trees there. Although I doubt it, because to put it bluntly, you clearly don't care - and being the sort of person who starts an account to spread FUD, I have my doubts about your trustworthyness. (Do you have any interesting projects on the go? Only, I can't tell because this particular account of yours is 1 day old)

Just out of interest do you recycle, or is life too short? Do you think the destruction going on in the Amazon is a good thing? Or maybe you feel that it won't have any effect on the environment?

When permanent forestry is planted, not only do the trees planted grow, many trees such as Ash (which we will be planting a lot of) actually self-seed so you get many more trees than are actually put down in the first instance.

We are taking land with no trees and making it into land covered with thousands of them, allowing ecosystems to develop. Are you trying to suggest that is bad for the environment?

axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 01:51:51 AM

Im In London and would more than happy to come along when you want to organise a verification visit. Dont let the doubters get you down and keep on doing what you are doing and make this go far!!!!

Great! I will let you know when I get a few more responses. Smiley

axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 02:27:33 AM

donated a mil carboncoins.

Love the idea of a tree being planted on my behalf. Keep up the good work!

Awesome! That is exactly the spirit Smiley

ning_chang

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:34:19 PM

I'm also in London. Would really like to come and see these trees.
axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 06:48:51 PM

I'm also in London. Would really like to come and see these trees.

Ok great. That is 2 people - we have room for 2-3 more and would be looking to go on one afternoon next week.

I have spoken to the landowners again (to request this visit) and they have reiterated that they do not want people to know where it is specifically, and I think they are totally within their rights to do so - it is amazing to have found a space where we can plant permanent forestry without having to buy the land directly or apply for planning => this is a huge thing. It is private land, and we should respect it as such.

So, after this trip to provide verification of the site for the community, there will be no more until planting starts in November time. Also I have been told that for saplings to make it into this years plant we need to have ordered them before end of July time (as they take some time to grow), so that is our first deadline for fundraising! The remainder of funds raised in this year will then be ordered in July of the following year, etc. So, to confirm, after this trip there will not be another until one until we plant.

There will be (at the very least) annual updates showing the planting operation happening, and keeping up with our saplings on all of our sites and these will be visible at carboncoinforest.org.

AltCoinSpeculation

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:27:43 PM

Good job on the CARB relaunch, I just wrote an article about it:
http://altcoinspeculation.com/carboncoin-relaunched-as-the-carbon-offsetting-currency-huge-potential/

i'm also in london but am popping away for a bit, so take someone else to hampshire ! take lots of photos though,

if you need help with this i know a few people working for environmental agencies who might be interested in getting involved somehow, i think it needs fresh blood from that sector to really make this a success. i'll pm you.
DemetriusAstroBlack

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:52:22 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2014, 12:10:10 AM by DemetriusAstroBlack

IMO carbon offsetting is bull.  Come plant some trees on my property in Oregon so my kids can clear them and get rich.  How do we know this isn't happening?  If they are never going to be cleared then what happens when tree gets old? it dies and rots, putting the carbon right back into the air...might as well use the resource right?

Well this is extraordinarily nearsighted of you IMO and your post is rather cynical.

You want to guarantee to me that your land will remain as forest (and also provided you have enough of it) then we might come and plant trees there. Although I doubt it, because to put it bluntly, you clearly don't care - and being the sort of person who starts an account to spread FUD, I have my doubts about your trustworthyness. (Do you have any interesting projects on the go? Only, I can't tell because this particular account of yours is 1 day old)

Just out of interest do you recycle, or is life too short? Do you think the destruction going on in the Amazon is a good thing? Or maybe you feel that it won't have any effect on the environment?

When permanent forestry is planted, not only do the trees planted grow, many trees such as Ash (which we will be planting a lot of) actually self-seed so you get many more trees than are actually put down in the first instance.

We are taking land with no trees and making it into land covered with thousands of them, allowing ecosystems to develop. Are you trying to suggest that is bad for the environment?

I didn't create an account to spread FUD.  Trees are a renewable resource.  I thinking planting trees help but never truly offsets anything.  My reputation and new account has nothing to do with my valid questions.  Crypto is bad for the environment no matter what you do to try to make it up.  Changing the natural land to a forest solves nothing, especial when you only plant limited species of tree.  I'm not looking for a guarantee that it will remain perfect forever, im just stating what really happens when trees get old, they rot and release it back into the air.  It is just a temporary storage of carbon that can never be put back into the earth in the form of fossil fuels. A fire could also leave the land worse then when you started and release all the carbon right back.  Many companys that practice carbon offsetting don't plant trees anymore.  My credibility has nothing to do with anything, research it for yourself.

Not that anything wikipedia is fact, but check out "Effectiveness of tree-planting offsets" under the carbon offset subject.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_offset .

axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 02:15:42 AM

IMO carbon offsetting is bull.  Come plant some trees on my property in Oregon so my kids can clear them and get rich.  How do we know this isn't happening?  If they are never going to be cleared then what happens when tree gets old? it dies and rots, putting the carbon right back into the air...might as well use the resource right?

I didn't create an account to spread FUD.  Trees are a renewable resource.  I thinking planting trees help but never truly offsets anything.  My reputation and new account has nothing to do with my valid questions.  Crypto is bad for the environment no matter what you do to try to make it up.  Changing the natural land to a forest solves nothing, especial when you only plant limited species of tree.  I'm not looking for a guarantee that it will remain perfect forever, im just stating what really happens when trees get old, they rot and release it back into the air.  It is just a temporary storage of carbon that can never be put back into the earth in the form of fossil fuels. A fire could also leave the land worse then when you started and release all the carbon right back.  Many companys that practice carbon offsetting don't plant trees anymore.  My credibility has nothing to do with anything, research it for yourself.

Not that anything wikipedia is fact, but check out "Effectiveness of tree-planting offsets" under the carbon offset subject.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_offset .

I think the majority of things on Wikipedia are facts - but I guess we are just different like that...

Firstly, the objective of carbon offset should be carbon storage in my opinion. Permanent forestry stores a hell of a lot of it. Where do you think the coal, oil and gas we use came from in the first place? (Why is everyone so sure the planet isn't going to be around in 500M years?!) The human race is currently infected with a horrible case of short termism, and I refuse to be a proponent of that.

The fact of the matter is that since we as a race got excited about burning things the planet has been unable to cope. We need to catch up with our storage and we need to do it pronto because right now the carbon cycle is broken and the situation is getting worse. High emissions is as much a "storage" problem as an emissions problem - it has to balance out for the cycle to work.

Of course you can spend millions creating wind turbines (or solar farms) destroying land and creating emissions in the process (vis what they are made of/the manufacturing process etc) but the upshot of this is that you aren't actually offsetting anything - merely giving humanity an excuse to use more energy. (Don't get me wrong I am very much a supporter of these projects, but they are only good provided sufficient efforts are made to help the carbon storage issue along too).

I am pleased to say I have done my research. Fancy arguing with this chart?
Emissions by fuel type

I am telling you that we, as an organisation, are planting permanent forestry and all money raised is going directly to it. Only sites where permanent forestry is wanted will be selected. Also I did not say we were going to be species specific, I merely used Ash as an example of a tree which is well known in the forestry community for self-seeding. I wish to create natural environments which support life in all forms.

Forest fires do not really happen in England, how about Oregon?

Carbon stored as decaying vegetation, or otherwise underground is not in the atmosphere, and therefore not causing the greenhouse effect. As a side note you live in a beautiful part of the world and one which is covered by nature at its finest. Do you not think the planet could benefit from more areas like that? Right now areas like that are being destroyed rendering them unable, among other things, to continue their storage function and I would like to see something done to create other areas to take up the spare, and more.

Of course I am not saying that I don't know full well that cryptocurrencies are bad for the environment. Part of the job of this coin is making people aware of the impact it is having/has had, so we as a community can do something about it. I hope you don't think that is a bad idea too.

I am fully aware that by Carboncoin being PoW in the first place we are part of the problem, but we have calculated our forecasted footprint, which you can find on the website, and already planted the trees to cover us until we get to the next planting (with a reasonable cushion). Hopefully the value will go up so much that the miners who have mined it will be able to stop mining, and we will receive enough donations to buy up several huge areas of land to create hundreds of permanent, vast carbon sinks... but hey, one can dream.

DemetriusAstroBlack

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 03:04:59 AM

Thank you for switching to intelligent arguments instead of getting all defensive and crying FUD.  My whole thing about permanent forestry is that just because a forest is still there doesn't mean the carbon has been locked anywhere.  Carbon offsetting by planting more trees is quickly becoming a thing of the past, and many tree planting operations have failed horribly as there is 0 guarantee that the trees will remain sustainable.  I still disagree with the project and I think that it needs major over site of a proven tree planting organization or will likely fail.  Sorry for not having faith in your project as I don't know any of your reputation or skills in this area.  I think it is definitely a project for many smart scientists who study this sort of thing from many different angels and would like to see a university or something else involved in the project.  Many groups with good intentions have tried similar planting projects that have failed horribly.  I would love to be proven wrong and wish you the best of luck.

MarkDansie

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 03:49:00 AM

Hi
please take this as constructive criticism and I am willing to help. I fell you motives and ideals are sound just the delivery mechanism is flawed
I think that having a way to offset carbon credits for mining coins is a great idea.
Although your tree project is ok I am concerned:
a. Is not acceptable as it is a secret location. It need to be audited and full disclosure.
b. Who gets the carbon income or offsets from planting the tree? The owner of the land?

You need to get professional ie Have a carbon offset scheme available to all coins, brokers, pools (option for the minor)

The income from this should go to either or
1. A credible public audited scheme, there are many
2. Use a scheme where you get a bigger bang for the buck. IE if I did it in Asia where i live I could get 10 tree planted for every one you do for the same cost
3. Use the money to support organisations that prevent rain forest destruction, IE buy them out.
4. The best scheme of all is to sponsor small solar lights for third world nations. They will stop burning fossil fuel for lighting.
It will also save lives and help people stop being slaves to big oil.
Here are some statistics.
a. !.6 billion people do not have electrical lighting
b. 70 billion liters of Kerosene get burned every year for lighting
c. 1.5 million deaths are attributable to this lighting and many are children under 5 years old
d. up to 30% of these people income is spent on lighting.
So you stop the burning of fossil fuels, save lives and and help these families to a better life. I can refer you to many of these organisations that are UN approved.

Kind Regards
Mark Dansie
Revolution Green
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  

Jump to: