Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:49:41 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CARBONCOIN: The Completely Carbon Neutral Cryptocurrency  (Read 76004 times)
axismundi (OP)

Activity: 407
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 01:34:35 AM

Id like to congratulate you on your efforts! I also work in sustainable forestry in the Amazon and tried to get a project going in the BTC community (my first naive post lol)
Your idea is great and I do wish you luck. Lets stay in touch!

Thank you, sent you a pm

roozifus

Activity: 249

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:49:54 AM

I'm a bit confused about how this works?

Is this just a standard crypto but there's a fund in place where people can donate to offset carbon emissions?
axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:52:04 AM

I'm a bit confused about how this works?

Is this just a standard crypto but there's a fund in place where people can donate to offset carbon emissions?

Hi, thank you for your interest. The coin is the first completely carbon neutral scrypt coin, due to a starting plantation of 2300 native hardwood saplings in Hampshire, UK.

By making it such, we are attempting to handle the objection which it was felt prevented a good few people, who like the idea of disruptive currency but care about the environment, from taking it up in the first place. Through the forestry project first of all, and other projects to follow soon after, we aim to offset the whole footprint of crypto in as cost effective a way as is measurable and guaranteeable, through direct offset projects; not through existing channels which spend most of the money on administration costs.

The fiat cost of our offset is less than half that of conventional offset by weight of CO2. On from there if we have spare Carboncoin left at the end of this process we will be spending it on research to then fund and stimulate permanent natural carbon sinks, and after that just keep on going. The focus is on carbon storage and environmental recovery, attempting to reverse damage done to the environment by humanity, rather than on clean energy technology which is already a vibrant hub of activity, and start up capital.

In terms of technology the coin is only PoW for now because it is felt it is necessary to get take up from the mining community, when that happens we will be looking at a fork to an innovative alternative form of PoS which I have specified, but will need help developing, in around 6 months time, subject to what happens from here.

We are setting up services to monitor the carbon footprint of different cryptocurrencies in as accurate a way as possible, and then giving them a means by which they can quantifiably offset their carbon footprints cost effectively and with cryptocurrencies, at the same time incentivising them to use Carboncoin to do so.

Hope that offers some clarity.

AM

roozifus

Activity: 249

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:30:11 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Initially I was a little bothered by the fact that the carbon offset isn't directly funded by a cut of the mined coins.

But when I think about it, if you can build a solid community around the carbon neutral concept I can see that as being just as good.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes Smiley
aleks648

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

Bounty Manager

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 10:59:46 PM

This coin now has a great future with axismundi at the helm, at CrunchHarder we fully support the coin and what axismundi is doing with it!

The Crunch Harder CarbonCoin Pool is now open!

Spread the hash rate and mine with the Crunch Harder CarbonCoinPool
for security, redundancy and stability.

https://carb.crunchharder.net

Peace of mind mining CarbonCoin with Crunch Harder:

*High End Dedicated Servers
*Fully Redundant, Fault-Tolerant Architecture
*Automatic Backup of Wallets and Databases
*Technical Support from Experienced CoinDevs and Pool Owners
*Dedicated Support Ticketing System
*4096 Bit SSL Security with SHA256

https://carb.crunchharder.net

Bounty Manager http://t.me/aleks648
cryptomite

Activity: 304
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:13:32 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2014, 03:29:44 AM by cryptomite

This coin has really caught my interest.

It is a very unique idea. I believe the dev is genuine. This is saying something in this day and age.

Surprised that its PoW, but moving over to PoS in the future is a great idea as well.

This coin is seriously on my radar.

Its so nice to see a coin that is doing something. Not a lot of action here, but there will be. I think as people get exposed to it, it will build a community of people looking at the long term potential of the coin. Which is an extremely good thing for this coin as well.

Congrats to the dev for making this coin a reality!! Smiley

Also, so happy you got those pictures to shut everyone up. Got to say the first one did look fake. Poor guy, its kinda funny now thinking about it. Someone that's actually for real around here and people dont know what to do and how to act.

I wish I could have been around when these assholes we giving you such a hard time. You were going through it lol. Glad to see the drama over now

revgreen

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 06:11:36 AM

asking for donations for a scrypt clone ? under the pretense of carbon neutrality ?

ok then lol

explain to me how scrypt mining like any other scrypt coin is better for the environment ?
this coin makes things worse actually by wasting electricity.

and i am wasting my time with this clone bs..

edit:

have a look at who registered the domain(s) ..i guess they were busy spending the time since Mar 15th premining lol

Portion redacted due to Personal Identification Information included. This is a violation of the Privacy Act.

Spoetnik, I'd recommend you remove this post as it is in violation of the Privacy Act and you are willfully posting personal information on a widely viewed platform that could lead to harm or harassment of Parties involved. This information includes Addresses, Phone Numbers, and Email Accounts. I have reported you to the admin of this forum as this is an unacceptable violation of personal rights. Yes you can find this information if you dig deep enough but reposting it for the world to see is not a legal option.

Ken
Asst Dev.
ilccoin

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:14:16 AM

great. greenwashing. that is going to fix it in the long run.

Perhaps you'd find your messages were conveyed more efficiently if you used something other than punctuated fragments. There is no greenwashing going on here, there is a story backed by an enormous carbon offsetting project. Thanks for your interest though.

planting tree instead of fixing the real problem is called greenwashing. it is better than nothing but not "carbon neutral". just an easy way to be "green".

CemQJWb3qA3DKsUV8nyfkgRe57zEKgmUm7
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:15:35 AM

sending me threats via pm about breaking the law is dumb..

it is public info.. don't want your info public then don't put it out there.

we have a right to know if one guy is making every single coin related domain out there etc..

for example i seen Vlad on Cryptsy chat before say he had many and listed of off like 60 of them he was thinking of selling..
and i think he said he had a 100 or 200 or something.
you all don't think that stuff is interesting and very relevant ?
i sure as hell do.

who a domain is registered to is not private !

actually what many of the coin cloners do here when they use their domain registration hiding services is deemed illegal..
Court Rules That Using Domain Registration Privacy Services Represents 'Material Falsification'
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20091029/1744166723.shtml

and further more if you falsify this info your domain can be reported and taken down immediately !

for example this well known tech news site was reported and had its domain pulled for an invalid email not long ago..
http://www.ghacks.net/2014/02/02/neowin-net-right-now/

OP before creating a new (2 post) new user forum account to send me mouthy legal threats i suggest you look up the real laws that govern domains.
I've done my homework on the laws have you ?

i got another law suit threat via pm.. LOL .... i'll add it to the others i already have hhahaha
you coin cloners are hilarious LOL ..prob iGotSPots again.. i am goin a sue'z yooooo ..liek omg ohhh noesz !!!111

edit:
and by the way you better focus on planting all those trees your going to get busier as more people get involved LOL
after a year you should half the earth covered LOL ..a guy in Canada claiming he will plant tree's in a secret UK location... mmmmm right sure...... lol

FUD first & ask questions later™
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:40:17 AM

edit:
and by the way you better focus on planting all those trees your going to get busier as more people get involved LOL
after a year you should half the earth covered LOL ..a guy in Canada claiming he will plant tree's in a secret UK location... mmmmm right sure...... lol

Here we go again! I wish I could say I admire your dedication to being annoying, but well, you're really just annoying and nothing more. You really think you are a hero, don't you? Here comes Spoetnik... here to save the day from those evil alt coins! Yay! Everyone stand up and cheer! Still convinced that the guy who took over the coin development and the guy who registered the domain for that website are the same?

What's the matter? Tired of being ignored on the Dogecoin threads, so you have to try to find a new one to troll? At least the dev of this coin is trying to do something useful with it. Go away now. Shooo!

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 05:20:19 PM

who are you ? and what did you contribute ?

ya i thought so..

guess what brat ?
people get on my nerves too and i don't harp on them like you brats here do to me..
you guy don't have to quote me and try and take turns mouthing me off (ignoring the topics) you could simply ignore what i said and carry on with your business
but you guys don't you feel compelled to try and tell me off and put me in my place and wind up getting your ass handed to you..

i don't give two shits what a bunch of idiots online think of me especially the constant new account that pop up here.
i have invested a huge amount of time, almost a year day in and day out leaning this stuff so yeah
i have a lot more to say about this stuff than guys who just got here and as usual that predictably pisses people off
the fact is i know more than a lot of people and if that makes you jealous ? well then too damn bad.

did you have something pertinent to post regarding this coin or something related to what i said about the coin ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
stevegreer
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 05:27:57 PM

you could simply ignore what i said and carry on with your business

Excellent idea! Welcome to my ignore list! You're my first! Congratulations you waste of oxygen!

axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 08:10:58 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 12:26:24 AM by axismundi

This coin has really caught my interest.

It is a very unique idea. I believe the dev is genuine. This is saying something in this day and age.

Surprised that its PoW, but moving over to PoS in the future is a great idea as well.

This coin is seriously on my radar.

Its so nice to see a coin that is doing something. Not a lot of action here, but there will be. I think as people get exposed to it, it will build a community of people looking at the long term potential of the coin. Which is an extremely good thing for this coin as well.

Congrats to the dev for making this coin a reality!! Smiley

Also, so happy you got those pictures to shut everyone up. Got to say the first one did look fake. Poor guy, its kinda funny now thinking about it. Someone that's actually for real around here and people dont know what to do and how to act.

I wish I could have been around when these assholes we giving you such a hard time. You were going through it lol. Glad to see the drama over now

Thank you for this. When I started down the ecological route with this coin, feeling guilty about my own mining ops and the damage the energy they had been wasting was doing to the environment, I thought long and hard about doing a new launch of a new coin with my PoS specification. I decided on balance for it to be PoW to start with is actually not a bad thing and here's why: I want to get the mining community on board with this because it is essential that they are made exactly aware of the damage they are doing and, what I would really like, is for them to make enough money to stop mining PoW shitcoins for the sake of it, forevermore. If we have to take on the appearence of one of these short term to get our message across then this is a small price to pay. We will be forking to my PoS model when our share of participation of the mining community has reached a level where we will have a significant impact. These miners are largely going to be mining something anyway, and I am not afraid of taking responsibilty for some of that.

Starting out as a PoS model creates huge problems in terms of fair distribution, and starting out as a PoW model gets around this to a great extent, especially with a large amount of coins released at the beginning.

The fact of the matter is that with the sheer volume of mining rigs out there, on 24 hours a day running at several kW, what we have going on is an environmental disaster and we are in the middle of it. To say there are other larger polluters out there, and other worse problems, as some sort of justification for not doing anything about this is fucking lame for want of a stronger statement. Of course this is an emotive issue, and one I feel incredibly strongly about.

Please let it be reiterated again that Carboncoin projects are about supporting the environment and the planet, not about driving large corporation business with a way for further wastefulness to be justified. Let's say we are successful in our first phase of the project and get >1.2M trees planted, on land already found that we do not have to purchase - having planning for permanent forestry, can anyone here or otherwise please explain to me why, from an environmental perspective, this is a bad idea? This is rhetorical - I do not want to hear about "better" ideas. Keeping it as simple and middleman free as possible is the aim here; as well as supporting and encouraging nature which, given enough help, will repair the damage for us.

Climate change skeptics will be very vocally claiming that it isn't their fault if/when the icecaps melt. They will say "the planet got closer to the sun" or some such nonsense. I am not saying this couldn't happen, what I am saying is that it is unarguable that the human race is using resources and having a negative impact, while at the same time not doing enough to address the problem. Here is a means by which it can address this, without really levying a tax. Just imagine if the value that developed in the bitcoin had gone, not into the hands of the early adopers, but into an organisation which as directly and efficiently as possible helped and stimulated nature. Here's one for the climate change skeptics - what causes the pollution clouds we are seeing all over the world at the moment? Impossible to know, right? So we should probably just continue as we are then...

It is going to be extremely difficult to get miners to come around to the fact that switching off most of their machines, allowing some to contribute to transaction processing alone, is not only the right thing to do, it is really what must be done. Allowing those miners who hold onto some #carboncoin to end up being able to pay off their machines and make some profit cannot be a bad approach to to this.

Can I also say quite clearly that if the value of Carboncoin takes off and we have sufficient donations in the Carboncoin Donations Wallet we will end up offsetting far more than the footprint of cryptocurrencies alone. This will be done not through any sort of enforced taxation, but because of the value that develops in this coin once people understand what value in this coin will mean that we are able to achieve. The greater the amount of Carboncoin we have in the wallet, the more valuable this becomes as a concept and the more valuable Carboncoin will become. If you are holding a lot, please join myself, zebedee, ning and olly in contributing CARB to LFsTe6yRk1TXuGGW6kKwG8L3N4pkx5b6Do. If you add more than 5M CARB send a txid and we will add your name to the leaderboard when it is finished. I have a record of it. We currently have 44M in the wallet but it is important that this is donated, not premined and if we can get more, then we start to have an awesome thing here. At the moment this costs nothing, and what it might achieve is unbounded. If the community don't do this, then we have nothing here. You might even donate half your holdings on the proviso that if this pot gets big enough the value will more than double...

Greenwashing= taking on the pretence of environmentalism for financial gain. Carboncoin= putting capitalism to use for environmental gain. We have currently offset about 60x our carbon footprint in trees planted, this proportion is going to diminish as time goes on but the miners are going to mine, for now.

Thank you to everyone who is keeping up to date with the thread, appreciate there is a lot to digest. I am starting a new thread, on a different service, specifically for development and development tasks tomorrow, but will keep this active answering queries and addressing objections to the best of my ability. Will post url in due course.

I will just state that I will gladly respond to any interview requests, if anyone has any interest in balanced coverage.

AM

P.S. Drama not quite over by the looks of things. @Ken, stop trollfeeding whether as a pm or online please - there is no way to answer the objection that you have a young account which I could easily have set up myself, not only that but Spoetnik is likely to be anonymous and therefore even if he was doing something illegal it would be impossible to see him disciplined for it.  Fortunately hotmail has an exceptional sweep/spam filtration system and this is the only issue my friend will face at having that information disclosed, as Spoetnik says it is public information, which anyone can look up, and actually of no use to anyone. Incidentally these comments have given me some very useful things to think about. He correctly identified that we didn't use false information on registering the website because, wait for it, this is not a scam.

P.P.S. All hail Steve and your troll-trolling, that did make me giggle. That is exactly how annoyed I got last week at whatever his name was. I have sent Spoetnik a pm trying to engage in dialogue, he didn't respond to anything I wrote last time he came onto this thread. I am not convinced he is purely a troll, and I think he has probably flagged some genuine scammers. I am hoping I can try to answer his objections directly and get him to see what I am trying to achieve with this. add: he responded with "fuck off" - doesn't even require further comment.

stevegreer
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 01:16:19 AM

P.P.S. All hail Steve and your troll-trolling, that did make me giggle.

Thank you! I'll be here all week! There are T-shirts and DVDs for sale in the lobby!  Grin

axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 10:03:35 AM

Coin voting set up at Comkort, great exchange, please vote here: https://comkort.com/vote#CARB

pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 10:24:14 AM

Wrong Section - Move to Announcements
axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 10:38:58 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 12:35:53 PM by axismundi

Wrong Section - Move to Announcements[/color][/b][/size][/center]

Hi there, would you care to qualify that please? Move what to announcements exactly?

pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 10:57:58 AM

Wrong Section - Move to Announcements

Hi there, would you care to qualify that please? Move what to announcements exactly?

There is a dedicated announcements section, move this thread there and follow the rules
axismundi (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 11:22:54 AM

There is a dedicated announcements section, move this thread there and follow the rules

This currency is very nearly 2 months old. What rules are you referring to? We have a thread in announcements. Would you care to link me to these rules of which you speak. I am not trying to be impertinent, you have thus far been rather impolite.

ADD: It was suggested I move here from announcements.

DemetriusAstroBlack

Activity: 338

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:04:56 PM

lol

Tip me BTC: 1MQ3JmX3xsnQqwEu7MB75GwxMtzKxJm4ha
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  

Jump to: