Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:59:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BitcoinSpinner  (Read 45010 times)
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 02:58:28 AM

There is an update of bitcoinspinner in the android market today. Amongst the new feature, there's this one: "Buy bitcoin (using bitinstant)".

How awesome is that!

I saw that today after the update.  This is a great addition to this app.

As some of you have already noticed in this thread BitcoinSpinner now integrates with BitInstant.
Please make sure to read the announcement here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87852.msg965850#msg965850

I pushed the software update to the Android Market before the announcement to have it ready, and some of my dear users found it before the official announcement  Grin

Now it is time for me to focus on some of your feature requests, and adding PIN protection to BitcoinSpinner is on the top of my list. Please have in mind that I am not making a living off this, so please have a little patience. 

I hope they give you a  cut of any income the app generates.  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 05:43:29 AM

ok, sorry for spreading fud as this is most likely a bug in my android phone and persists for many other sites since at least 6 months:
bitinstant as some other bitcoin related websites show an illegal certificate warning on my motorola defy.
as bitinstant is affected at least on my device, they might be interested in resolving the source of this scary warning.

This certificate is not from a trusted authority.
Issued to:
CN: RapidSSL CA
Org: GeoTrust, Inc.

Issued by:
CN: GeoTrust Global CA
Org: GeoTrust Inc.

Validity:
issued: 19/2/2010
Expires: 18/2/2020

my phone is rooted, just in case that helps. the problem was there before rooting it.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 08:48:00 PM

ok, sorry for spreading fud as this is most likely a bug in my android phone and persists for many other sites since at least 6 months:
bitinstant as some other bitcoin related websites show an illegal certificate warning on my motorola defy.
as bitinstant is affected at least on my device, they might be interested in resolving the source of this scary warning.

Issued to:

Issued by:

Validity:

my phone is rooted, just in case that helps. the problem was there before rooting it.

This is a known issue and is caused by the CA not being included in android. To fix it we will be switching to another CA, but for now please disregard the warning - despite the CA not being in android your data is still secure.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 03:50:48 AM

Issued to:

Issued by:

Validity:

This is a known issue and is caused by the CA not being included in android. To fix it we will be switching to another CA, but for now please disregard the warning - despite the CA not being in android your data is still secure.

You have a link? Why is this CA not included? In Opera it works.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 04:14:47 AM

Issued to:

Issued by:

Validity:

It probably depends on which Android version you use. If the root certification authority (CA) certificate did not exist or was not included in the Android version your device has, then you will get a certificate warning. The fix is either to upgrade your device or to let the service use a certificate that was issued by an old (established) CA such as Verisign. They charge you big time for this and they make a ton of money.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2012, 04:39:49 AM

Issued to:

Issued by:

Validity:

It probably depends on which Android version you use. If the root certification authority (CA) certificate did not exist or was not included in the Android version your device has, then you will get a certificate warning. The fix is either to upgrade your device or to let the service use a certificate that was issued by an old (established) CA such as Verisign. They charge you big time for this and they make a ton of money.

The phone is rooted so I should be able to import those certificates but I posted here to raise awareness as I don't know how many are affected. It scares people out of using bitcoin when they apparently have some IP poisoning going on on their device (or whatever their guess is).

ɃɃ
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 07:57:29 PM

Server down for scheduled maintenance Sunday July 1 8 PM PST. Maintenance window expected to be 3 hours.
In that window you will not be able to use BitcoinSpinner for transactions. Note that with BitcoinSpinner you can always export your Bitcoin private key regardless of server availability.

jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:21:49 AM

I made a backup of the private key and it's been given in the format:

Code:
 bsb:(~44 digit private key here)?net=0

But this fails when trying to import into online wallets like at Blockchain:
Error importing private key: Unknown Key Format (key here)

Can it be reformatted to work?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
jago25_98

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:01:19 PM

Code:

No, that's not your private key.  You did a backup wallet, which gives you the bsb code.  You would use a QR code generator with that code and be able to use bitcoin spinner to restore your wallet.

To export your private key:
Settings > Advanced > Export Private Key

Thanks. I used the backup to restore into Bitcoinspinner and it seemed to work even though I have no WiFi or 3G connectivity.
So then I exported the key to the clipboard and wrote that directly into a txt file.
I then copied that into the blockchain.info wallet but I get "Unknown key format".

I'm using v0.6.0b but I can't upgrade it as I'm heavily firewalled.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:27:59 PM

Code:

No, that's not your private key.  You did a backup wallet, which gives you the bsb code.  You would use a QR code generator with that code and be able to use bitcoin spinner to restore your wallet.

To export your private key:
Settings > Advanced > Export Private Key

Thanks. I used the backup to restore into Bitcoinspinner and it seemed to work even though I have no WiFi or 3G connectivity.
So then I exported the key to the clipboard and wrote that directly into a txt file.
I then copied that into the blockchain.info wallet but I get "Unknown key format".

I'm using v0.6.0b but I can't upgrade it as I'm heavily firewalled.
As far as I remember you have to choose Sipa format when importing into blockchain.info.

teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:41:40 PM

Quick and easy question to save me some time trying..

Bitaddress.org can make an addy and a private key.. 

How would I go about making a wallet from bitaddress.org and importing it into spinner ?

obviously I have some ideas on this.. but would like to know the surefire way..

Thanks

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:49:33 PM

How would I go about making a wallet from bitaddress.org and importing it into spinner ?

Thanks

Short answer:

You can't. BitcoinSpinner's "wallet" isn't designed that way. The one key it gives is all you can have.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
teflone

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:52:49 PM

Thanks

Short answer:

You can't. BitcoinSpinner's "wallet" isn't designed that way. The one key it gives is all you can have.

Hmmmm..

So when I uninstall the program, and get a new wallet..  its not a new wallet ?

Because I've been doing this by restoring through QR code I've printed out..

Please explain further..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 08:13:57 PM

Thanks

Short answer:

Hmmmm..

So when I uninstall the program, and get a new wallet..  its not a new wallet ?

Because I've been doing this by restoring through QR code I've printed out..

Please explain further..

I am on the move, so short answer. When you uninstall/install you get a brand new wallet. More details here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53353.msg1024102#msg1024102

jago25_98

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 08:17:29 PM

As far as I remember you have to choose Sipa format when importing into blockchain.info.
[/quote]

At MyWallet, no option to select as SIPA or base58. But both base58 and SIPA are listed on the features list. So I guess I need to convert base58 to SIPA.

This seems relevent:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3638.0;all

But perhaps I should craft a wallet backup file:
https://blockchain.info/wallet/wallet-format

No rush Jan for help. I'll have to look into this more at a later date. It sounds more like a MyWallet side thing. I have to say, it's not the first time a change in Bitcoin format has caught me out, which is a bit worrying for longevity. It's a good learning experience though. The guy I'm to pay seems very friendly and so forth so that's fine.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 05:37:21 AM

BitcoinSpiner has just been updated to version 0.7.0b. You can find the latest version on  Google Play or as a direct download for Kindle users.

New Features:
  • Added the long awaited PIN protection.
  • Added Czech & Russian translation (Kudos to Slush)
  • Added the current MtGox BTC exchange rate for the chosen currency to the title bar
  • Now displaying BTC balances with full 8 digit precision (before it was with 5 digits)
  • Extended Finish translation

The PIN protection feature allows you to set a 6 digit PIN which must be entered whenever:
  • Sending bitcoins
  • Backing up your wallet
  • Exporting your private key
  • Modifying your PIN

It is NOT used for encrypting the seed from which your private keys are generated. For that purpose a 6 digit PIN is useless. The PIN is there to protect your from someone who picks up your device and sends your funds elsewhere without you noticing.

The PIN protection feature is optional, but encouraged.
Note: Before PIN protecting your wallet you should make a backup of your wallet (In fact you should always do that). If you ever forget your PIN, you can uninstall and re-install BitcoinSpinner and restore your backup.

Enjoy

apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 11:03:27 AM

maybe a dumb quesiton:

with very expensive bcrypt hashing with added salts, could a 6 digit pin maybe provide reasonable protection against bruteforcing?
so it would maybe take 5 seconds on a phone to calculate the correct decryption key, which is thrown away as soon as the app is closed.
fabrizziop

Activity: 506

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 01:37:19 PM

maybe a dumb quesiton:

with very expensive bcrypt hashing with added salts, could a 6 digit pin maybe provide reasonable protection against bruteforcing?
so it would maybe take 5 seconds on a phone to calculate the correct decryption key, which is thrown away as soon as the app is closed.

I don't think so, by being 6-digit numeric password there are few combinations to try. I guess it could be bruteforced in two months max.
jago25_98

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2012, 05:32:32 PM

At MyWallet, no option to select as SIPA or base58. But both base58 and SIPA are listed on the features list. So I guess I need to convert base58 to SIPA.

This seems relevent:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3638.0;all

But perhaps I should craft a wallet backup file:
https://blockchain.info/wallet/wallet-format

No rush Jan for help. I'll have to look into this more at a later date. It sounds more like a MyWallet side thing. I have to say, it's not the first time a change in Bitcoin format has caught me out, which is a bit worrying for longevity. It's a good learning experience though. The guy I'm to pay seems very friendly and so forth so that's fine.
[/quote]

Still can't figure this out...
 anyone else care to try it? (export a private key and import into blockchain.info)

teflone

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 06:32:51 PM

I had the same question.. But everyone seemed to misunderstand what I was asking..

I would like to use my own wallet and private keys in B spinner..

Or be able to use the backup spinner provides anywhere else.. 

And how..  Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: