Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:42:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: List of motherboard that require shorting pin A1 B17 for pci-e 1x to work.  (Read 99773 times)
nvandertill

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:51:28 PM

I have 7 cards setup - works ok, but requires a monitor to boot. 5 cards setup on same MB - does not require monitor connected - not sure what this problem connected to (

Micax1, on the ASRock Z87 Killer (Fatal1ty), did you have to short any of the pins in the PCI-e slots to get all 7 GPUs to work/be recognized?

I'm running 2x rigs with 6x GPUs per on this same board. Works fine, but i can't get the 7th working or I get video errors when the Xorg tries to start. Possible driver issue (R9 290s and R9 280Xs)? Other than that the board is a champ, but yet it requires shorting of anything other than a 16x->16x riser, so that means USB risers require shorting in all ports. I'd avoid the first 1x as it seems to be the most problematic.
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
N[e]wBie

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 01:09:43 AM

whats a good way to short these cables? I tried cutting a molex->pcie cable but the small wires are very hard to fit into the holes

BTC: 1ESZr887vTZqYtDuwwspn1jBaoRU9jMcv1
nvandertill

Activity: 59

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:35:59 PM

Use the same resistors you would use for making a dummy plug. They are a perfect firm fit to stick far down in the hole. Get your mind out of the gutter. Available at radioshack.
grache

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:45:37 AM

I have 7 cards setup - works ok, but requires a monitor to boot. 5 cards setup on same MB - does not require monitor connected - not sure what this problem connected to (

Micax1, on the ASRock Z87 Killer (Fatal1ty), did you have to short any of the pins in the PCI-e slots to get all 7 GPUs to work/be recognized?

I'm running 2x rigs with 6x GPUs per on this same board. Works fine, but i can't get the 7th working or I get video errors when the Xorg tries to start. Possible driver issue (R9 290s and R9 280Xs)? Other than that the board is a champ, but yet it requires shorting of anything other than a 16x->16x riser, so that means USB risers require shorting in all ports. I'd avoid the first 1x as it seems to be the most problematic.

Good info nvandertill, I've still got a couple questions to make sure I understand what you've done to the board.

I've got 3 cards plugged directly into the 16x slots (without touching the bios). If I want to install cards in the 1x slots using risers do I need to ground each 1x slot? When grounding using 68 Ohm resistors you just need to plug the resistor into B17 only (not A1 or any other ground), right?

I think I know the answers, just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance
CyberCrist

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:01:14 AM

So here is what I got working on the ASRock Z87 Killer

BIOS
PCI-E 1 (gen2)
PCI-E 2 (gen1)
PCI-E 3 (gen1)

PHYSICAL
PCI-E 1 (x1)   --> EMPTY
PCI-E 2 (x16) --> 750 TI (no riser)
PCI-E 3 (x1)   --> EMPTY (Blocked by PCI-e 2)
PCI-E 4 (x1)   --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 5 (x16) --> 750 TI (16x riser)
PCI-E 6 (x1)   --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 7 (x16) --> 750 TI (16x riser)

I have not been able to get PCI-E 2 (x16) to be recognized on a riser at all, either 1x or 16x
I have not been able to get PCI-E 5 or PCI-E 7 to be recognized with 1x risers.

I would love to get the 6th card up and running on this board.

Ideas?
CyberCrist

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:37:32 PM

Update:

PHYSICAL
PCI-E 1 (x1)   --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 2 (x16) --> 750 TI (16x riser)
PCI-E 3 (x1)   --> EMPTY (shorted)
PCI-E 5 (x16) --> 750 TI (16x riser)
PCI-E 7 (x16) --> 750 TI (16x riser)

It's been mining all night.  Not sure if I want to try PCI-E 3... that sort of "what if it don't work after i make a change" mentality.

http://www.neochron.net/mining/six-miners_832x624.jpg
cdogster

Activity: 47

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:56:24 PM

CyberCrist, I was able to get 6 EVGA 750Ti FTW cards running on the ASRock Z87 Killer.

BIOS
PCI-E 1 (gen2)
PCI-E 2 (gen1)
PCI-E 3 (gen1)
Also disabled integrated graphics and changed PEG0 De-emphasis Control to -6dB

PHYSICAL
PCI-E 1 (x1)   --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 2 (x16) --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 3 (x1)   --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 5 (x16) --> 750 TI (1x USB riser, shorted)
PCI-E 7 (x16) --> EMPTY

It's messy at the moment and I have to clean up now that it's working but here are pics for proof.  It's funny, we're very close in the equipment we used Smiley  I tried using a bootable Linux USB stick but had issues so I'm using an old hard drive.  I have an EVGA 750W PSU but it's only pulling about 460W from the wall.  These cards run very cool.  I don't have a 7th card to try and I likely won't.  For some reason I couldn't get a ribbon riser (also shorted) to work in the PCI-E 5 (x16) slot and when I tried a USB riser, it worked.  I have a monitor plugged into the PCI-E 2 (x16) slot.  Just like you I don't want to mess with it now that it works.

I am upset that I can't overclock these cards in Linux.  There's so much more potential.  What speeds are you getting with all 6?  I am getting about 1550 KH/s mining Litecoin with CudaMiner.

https://i.imgur.com/oHLnuXc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/G9wdOC5.jpg
CyberCrist

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:58:39 AM

CyberCrist, I was able to get 6 EVGA 750Ti FTW cards running on the ASRock Z87 Killer.

BIOS
PCI-E 1 (gen2)
PCI-E 2 (gen1)
PCI-E 3 (gen1)
Also disabled integrated graphics and changed PEG0 De-emphasis Control to -6dB

PHYSICAL
PCI-E 1 (x1)   --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 2 (x16) --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 3 (x1)   --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 4 (x1)   --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 5 (x16) --> 750 TI (1x USB riser, shorted)
PCI-E 6 (x1)   --> 750 TI (1x riser, shorted)
PCI-E 7 (x16) --> EMPTY

It's messy at the moment and I have to clean up now that it's working but here are pics for proof.  It's funny, we're very close in the equipment we used Smiley  I tried using a bootable Linux USB stick but had issues so I'm using an old hard drive.  I have an EVGA 750W PSU but it's only pulling about 460W from the wall.  These cards run very cool.  I don't have a 7th card to try and I likely won't.  For some reason I couldn't get a ribbon riser (also shorted) to work in the PCI-E 5 (x16) slot and when I tried a USB riser, it worked.  I have a monitor plugged into the PCI-E 2 (x16) slot.  Just like you I don't want to mess with it now that it works.

I am upset that I can't overclock these cards in Linux.  There's so much more potential.  What speeds are you getting with all 6?  I am getting about 1550 KH/s mining Litecoin with CudaMiner.

Pretty funny how close our setup's are.

With all 6 I'm averaging about 1522 khash/s, with a 99.78% acceptance rate.  Not bad at all.  Kill-o-watt say 468W which is pretty dang good.  This setup is to replace a machine that is running two R9 280x's.  They pull ~650W and get about 1430 khash/s, but heat up the damn garage way too much.

http://www.neochron.net/mining/screenshot.jpg
CyberCrist

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:22:43 AM

Well, just tried #7.  System booted and recognized the card, but when trying to mine, it would just shut down after about 2-3 minutes.  Sad
cdogster

Activity: 47

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:51:53 AM

Too bad the 7th card didn't work. I want to switch to Windows so I can overclock these and essentially get a 7th card's worth of hashing.
NuggetFlipper

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:26:45 AM
Last edit: April 01, 2014, 07:39:36 AM by NuggetFlipper

Hey guys, I have an old motherboard (5 years) that has 3 pci x1 slots but I can't get my riser to work. My riser has an extra molex connector, so would I still need to add the jumper wire? And if I do add the jumper correctly, is there any risk that I should be aware of?
Just out of curiosity, why is the jumper wire even needed?

EDIT: Holy crap I can't believe this worked on a 5 year old motherboard (and didn't blow up in my face). Thanks!
I didn't have any spare wires around so I took off some from my (also very old) phone charger. It still works as you as you reconnect the cables back.

hoop
Legendary

Activity: 1523
Merit: 1001

NOBT - WNOBT your saving bank◕◡◕

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 11:49:20 PM

i think Foxconn is bad one to use

██████████  ██████████▄▄
         █████████████  ██████████████▄▄
   ▄███  █████▄                  ▀▀███████▄
  ██████   ▀█████▄          ████     ▀▀█████