Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:17:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to fix your Asic miners.  (Read 35267 times)
mikeywith (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6367

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
October 31, 2021, 06:59:07 PM

It sounds like none of the repair companies respond so why single them out when they seem to be one of the only companies getting reviews that they actually fixed their miners......

You sound so butthurt, not sure why, if you are related to myrig, get them to respond here, if they think bitcointalk community doesn't matter or doesn't deserve some response then they don't deserve to be listed here in the first place.

And FYI, I have only ever listed 4 services in the OP based on positive feedback from trusted members, and that includes "myrig", later on, a few people reported issues with "myrig" someone even left them negative feedback, so what do you expect me to do? mark all the other 3 services the same?? if negative feedback exists on the other services I will do the same to them, if not -- then not.

If your goal is to inform people where to get their miners fixed then you are not doing a good job at it.

if you are not happy with how I do things, then why don't you start your own topic, this is a public forum after all.

I sent 7 APW9s to Myrig back in April, they said at the time it would around 2 weeks to repair the power supplies. A few weeks after they received them, they said they were waiting for parts to repair them. Fast forward 6 months, they still said they were waiting for parts so they declared them "unrepairable" and said they were going to return them to me, which at least they did at their own expense. The last communication I had with them was a week and a half ago, so they are there and receiving email. Looks like they are just ignoring new requests.

Would you recommend their services after having to wait for 6 months just to hear them say what they said?

I kept their service in the OP but added a warning, which I believe is "fair" enough, everyone should scroll through the reviews and make up their own mind.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
steffun

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2021, 07:42:16 PM

Guys, does anyone knows an Antminer repair service in UK? I am struggling to find someone to fix my S17+
MZ4

Activity: 118
Merit: 86

View Profile
November 29, 2021, 10:01:45 PM

I am looking for Innosilicon A10 repair center in Europe. Anyone has an idea where I should send them?
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2021, 10:05:03 PM

I am looking for Innosilicon A10 repair center in Europe. Anyone has an idea where I should send them?
Have tried asking the european repair shops listed at Zeusbtc website?

https://www.zeusbtc.com/RepairCenter/

MZ4

Activity: 118
Merit: 86

View Profile
November 29, 2021, 10:44:44 PM

Have tried asking the european repair shops listed at Zeusbtc website?

https://www.zeusbtc.com/RepairCenter/

I messaged them and I didn't have a reply after 1 month unfortunately.
HT_BC

View Profile
December 15, 2021, 06:47:51 AM
Last edit: December 15, 2021, 07:16:23 AM by HT_BC

Hi all New member here,  This post has been super helpful.  So I wanted to add one to the discussion, has anyone used Crypto Miner CHR?  They are  Antminer Repair Channel on Youtube or atleast afflilated with them.  They appear to be very active in the official discord.  Their website is  http://www.cryptominerchr.com/  

Asic Master
3231 S Halsted St #273,
Chicago, IL 60608
+1 (503) 984-4777

I did find a recent reddit post mentioning they were rebranding to Asic Master. and the address is a box at a UPS store.  I've messaged to them on the discord and i'm about to ship them 3x S17 boards, just double checking is all.  They seam nice, knowledge and fairly quick to respond so far and actively help people with repair questions on the Antminer repair channel discord.   Other than taking a credit card (but they accept venmo).  I'm just considering them a small shop or a single person doing repairing on the side,  thoughts?

mikeywith (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2021, 11:04:49 PM

ship them 3x S17 boards, just double checking is all.  They seam nice, knowledge and fairly quick to respond so far and actively help people with repair questions on the Antminer repair channel discord.

I have seen their youtube channel, they have many videos on how to repair hash boards and all that, while I personally do not think someone will go this far just to scam people for dead hash boards, I wouldn't be sending all 3 hash boards at once, after all, even if they were not scammers -- they might not have what it takes to actually fix those hash boards, so why not just risk 1 hash board instead of 3 just to see how it goes?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
wndsnb

Activity: 544
Merit: 589

View Profile
December 21, 2021, 01:16:39 PM

The Bitmain authorized repair center in Nashua is advertising out-of-warranty hashboard repair on Ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154553760186?hash=item23fc1f39ba:g:wEUAAOSwWMFhmeZT

I'd imagine you could get a bit better of a deal if you contact them directly, since ebay charges >10% fee.

Have some dead Bitmain 17 series hashboards or full miners?
I'll buy them ... send me a PM with what you have and I'll make you an offer!
tangy_t

Activity: 27

View Profile
December 28, 2021, 05:44:55 PM

Anyone use https://great-voyage-inc.myshopify.com/ ? I saw the ads posted on ebay for their service, figured it would be easier to use their site. But little to no instructions on how repairs are handled. From the google docs page it looks like you just send them the asic? Looking to get 3 S17 pro hash boards repaired.
thebeardsman

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 30, 2022, 07:09:58 PM

Any recent feedback on D-Central or Myrig?
ruber1

Activity: 34
Merit: 60

View Profile
February 01, 2022, 02:05:29 AM
Merited by LoyceV (2), JayJuanGee (1)

I did use https://great-voyage-inc.myshopify.com/ for an S17 Pro power Supply repair (APW9) recently
They are legit. Getting a repair is kind of confusing. You create a repair request on their site and send in. Then email for confirmation. I also joined their telegram chat for more immediate questions.

I was however very disappointed in price. Half of it went dead, that is 2 of the 3 fans (as powered by one cord) stopped. Expected it to simply be an integrated fuse, but they of course did not say. They never advised of estimate to repair (I failed to ask ahead of time, too exited I finally found someone that would repair power supplies) and they only said done, total due $250 ($200 repair and $50 return shipping. It only cost me $14 to ship to them the via my UPS account.) However, as you can't find one for less than $350 now and days, I had to take it.

I may give them another chance for a hashboard repair as my regular company is 90 days out and they turned the power supply in about 3 weeks. Telegram chat suggests they are similarly fast on hashboards. But I will ask for price quote before repair

tangy_t

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 04, 2022, 12:38:12 AM

I did use https://great-voyage-inc.myshopify.com/ for an S17 Pro power Supply repair (APW9) recently
They are legit. Getting a repair is kind of confusing. You create a repair request on their site and send in. Then email for confirmation. I also joined their telegram chat for more immediate questions.

I was however very disappointed in price. Half of it went dead, that is 2 of the 3 fans (as powered by one cord) stopped. Expected it to simply be an integrated fuse, but they of course did not say. They never advised of estimate to repair (I failed to ask ahead of time, too exited I finally found someone that would repair power supplies) and they only said done, total due $250 ($200 repair and $50 return shipping. It only cost me $14 to ship to them the via my UPS account.) However, as you can't find one for less than $350 now and days, I had to take it.

I may give them another chance for a hashboard repair as my regular company is 90 days out and they turned the power supply in about 3 weeks. Telegram chat suggests they are similarly fast on hashboards. But I will ask for price quote before repair

Good to hear they are legit. The repair process is weird as hell but whatever they are the only ones to answer my emails. Got 1 S17 and a S17Pro Hash board being repaired dropped off on Jan 25th. Do you as the owner of the telegram group about repair info? Ive joined and pm'd the owner waiting on response.
SWTEL

View Profile
February 10, 2022, 02:49:20 PM

I am new and trying to educate myself. I have owned a telecom equipment resell and test/repair business for over 20 years and have recently noticed that the ASIC machines are not unlike some of the boards, power supplies, fans etc. that are used in telecom industry. I am considering sending a couple of my technicians for formal training in ASIC repair to add to our list of services. What I have learned as a female business owner is to research fully, listen to your customer base and surround yourself with those smarter than yourself, which led me to this forum. So my question is, what is the demand for reliable repair facilities in the US?
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
February 10, 2022, 05:06:22 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2022, 09:55:31 PM by NotFuzzyWarm
Merited by mikeywith (4)

I am new and trying to educate myself. I have owned a telecom equipment resell and test/repair business for over 20 years and have recently noticed that the ASIC machines are not unlike some of the boards, power supplies, fans etc. that are used in telecom industry. I am considering sending a couple of my technicians for formal training in ASIC repair to add to our list of services. What I have learned as a female business owner is to research fully, listen to your customer base and surround yourself with those smarter than yourself, which led me to this forum. So my question is, what is the demand for reliable repair facilities in the US?
Just do a few minutes browsing this support area and the hardware area and you will see that demand is very high mainly due to a certain miner manufacturer (Bitmain) having released several models that had horrid build quality.

These days a common fault with miners from any manufacturer is the PSU dying. Thankfully those are easier to diagnose and repair than hash boards are but there are very few companies in the world, much less the US, that will repair them. I would think that the main faults that happen are either the line-side input stages or the switching FET's blowing. The main 'gotcha' to servicing them is that they are programmable PSU's (I think using I2C, or possibly an analog control) so you have to be able to rig a micro controller to talk to them.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mikeywith (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2022, 10:01:38 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2022, 10:02:00 AM by mikeywith

I am considering sending a couple of my technicians for formal training in ASIC repair to add to our list of services.

I have very limited knowledge in this field, but I am certain your guys don't need "formal training" if they are good at what they do already, wndsnb is now professional in hash board repair, I don't recall he took any courses, but he indeed is very talented in his field and was able to quickly learn how to deal with all that mess.

I got nothing against "special training" to speed things up, but I don't think that kind of training is available anywhere outside of China and maybe Russia, to send 2-3 guys it will cost a few tens of thousands of dollars, since you have the tools (judging by your current business) you can just buy a 1-2 working miners, and a few dead hash boards and get your guys to self-learn, the resources online are somehow limited, but they are there nonetheless.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2022, 11:35:33 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2022, 09:49:19 AM by Mr. Big

I am considering sending a couple of my technicians for formal training in ASIC repair to add to our list of services.

I have very limited knowledge in this field, but I am certain your guys don't need "formal training" if they are good at what they do already, wndsnb is now professional in hash board repair, I don't recall he took any courses, but he indeed is very talented in his field and was able to quickly able to learn how to deal with all that mess.

I got nothing against "special training" to speed things up, but I don't think that kind of training is available anywhere outside of China and maybe Russia, to send 2-3 guys it will cost a few tens of thousands of dollars, since you have the tools (judging by your current business) you can just buy a 1-2 working miners, and a few dead hash boards and get your guys to self-learn, the resources online are somehow limited, but they are there nonetheless.
Well, the OP could always reach out to Canaan...
They did a very nice round of training for Hagss - and paid  for it all including travel Cheesy

Mikey would have to chip in on this but as I've said, looking through miner fault posts, as of late the PSU's seem to be the weak point. Also one that should be very servicable...

Perhaps someone could send the OP a couple dead PSU's to have their folks take a look at them Wink

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mikeywith (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2022, 09:47:29 PM

as of late the PSU's seem to be the weak point. Also one that should be very servicable.

You are right, someone recently reported a 25% failure rate on s19s PSUs, they seem to have fixed the heatsink/chip solder issues they had with the 17 series and now started to screw with the PSUs.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2022, 02:45:28 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2022, 02:05:01 PM by NotFuzzyWarm
Merited by mikeywith (2)

as of late the PSU's seem to be the weak point. Also one that should be very servicable.

You are right, someone recently reported a 25% failure rate on s19s PSUs, they seem to have fixed the heatsink/chip solder issues they had with the 17 series and now started to screw with the PSUs.
That is astonishingly bad... Switching power supplies are not rocket science and by nature of their simplicity, should be damn near failure proof. Having a 25% failure rate points to some serious design compromise issues in trying to get the lowest possible build cost. Hell, even a 1% failure rate should be cause for concern.

My 1st guess from a manufacturing cost standpoint would be the output filter caps. Switching supplies operate at a very high frequency - well over 100kHz - and that demands very careful selection of the caps. They MUST be a type with very low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) using either a X5R or preferably, a X7R material for the dielectric. Thing is - those cost over 2x what a common general-purpose ceramic cap costs and are produced in much lower volumes than the more common and more easily available ones. With the switching frequencies the PSU's operate at using electrolytic caps is out of the question when designing for any sort of reliability plus would be too bulky compared to ceramic caps.

While you can use the lower cost common ceramic ones they WILL fail from internally overheating and current erosion even when using a lot more individual caps to spread out the loads reducing current spikes and resulting heating in the individual caps. At that point it becomes a balance between reliability (use the correct low ESR caps or more of the common caps along with just how many more of them) and cost. Think we know who had the final say: Accountants, not the Engineers...

The line side of the supply is harder to screw up by using under-spec'd (cheaper) components and same for the switching FET's, we're talking only a penny or two difference in cost between parts rated for x voltage/current and ones rated a bit higher. Again, it would be great for someone to do forensics on a few dead PSU's to find out what their failure mechanisms are.

HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2022, 10:28:33 AM

You would think that now that they ask about 10-12k USD for S19 Pro, it would be easy budget wise to put some more money in to the PSU design...

mikeywith (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2022, 01:52:40 PM

You would think that now that they ask about 10-12k USD for S19 Pro, it would be easy budget wise to put some more money in to the PSU design...

You want to hear the funnier part? The PSU itself is not under warranty, if you send only a PSU to bitmain they will not fix it.

NFW, i am pretty sure it's mainly poor quality aka cheap components, also a lot of it has to do with the bad cooling design since some folks started to get a lower failure rate when they improved the PSU cooling.

I see many people now replace these apw12 PSUs with another brand like the one made by Alpha, it is 4kw and seems pretty solid, problem is it only runs at 277v which is not an option for many of us.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████