Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:15:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinSpinner  (Read 55413 times)
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 10:19:50 PM

Use the ambient light sensor please. It makes no sense to fade at noon in the Sahara.

yes i completely agree. i made a usability study in the sahara. all bitcoiners there agreed that it does not improve scanning accuracy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niko

Activity: 756

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 04:23:28 AM

Use the ambient light sensor please. It makes no sense to fade at noon in the Sahara.

yes i completely agree. i made a usability study in the sahara. all bitcoiners there agreed that it does not improve scanning accuracy.

I was there, and I should add: it did not degrade scanning accuracy either. Wink

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 02:13:11 PM

I haven't thought this through, but would it make sense to include fiat amounts in the transaction history? I mean the actual historical worth, not the based-on-today's-exchange-rates worth. If you are already storing transaction data locally, adding this field would be trivial. If you are pulling the list from the server based on address(es), it might be too much work.
Unfortunately it is not trivial to do this. Since you can import any key you like and show its transaction history we will have to have historical conversion rates at our fingertips. Right now the backend system does not have that. This may change going forward, but making this happen may be more work than what it is worth. Right now at least we have many features that take precedence.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 02:15:59 PM

I haven't thought this through, but would it make sense to include fiat amounts in the transaction history? I mean the actual historical worth, not the based-on-today's-exchange-rates worth. If you are already storing transaction data locally, adding this field would be trivial. If you are pulling the list from the server based on address(es), it might be too much work.

This. And more currencies please. $$ are of no use where I and 90% of humanity live.

What, our drug money is suddenly not good enough for you???  Angry

We are going to add ARS to the list of supported currencies (Argentinean pesos). That's the one for you as far as I remember gizmo. In general we will add add the currencies we can get official conversion rates for. They may not all come overnight though.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 02:20:37 PM

We have the best Bitcoin Economist in the world working on how to handle exchange rates in Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet Smiley

The best way to handle it is to give users options. However the default should be Bitstamp spot price, it's closer to the real Bitcoin exchange rate. Right now the exchange rate features are pretty much unusable since the Gox rate is almost useless (imo).

This should be #1 priority. Otherwise it's a brilliant wallet.
Peter Surda is working on exactly that. Basically we will give the user a choice of what exchange to use, and we will simulate a 1 BTC buy order and 1 BTC sell order of the currency with highest volume and take the average of those two numbers. From there we will use official daily exchange rates to convert between currencies... or something like that. Once we have it working we will describe in painful details exactly how this is done.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 04:55:15 PM

This. And more currencies please. $$ are of no use where I and 90% of humanity live.

What, our drug money is suddenly not good enough for you???  Angry

We are going to add ARS to the list of supported currencies (Argentinean pesos). That's the one for you as far as I remember gizmo. In general we will add add the currencies we can get official conversion rates for. They may not all come overnight though.

Nope. CLP here. Google should provide quite accurate exchange rates that are good for me. Put them into a non-approved section in the currencies dropdown if you don't feel comfortable having your app tell users that this or that is the exchange rate.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
rini17

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 09:59:02 PM

I recommend 24hour VWAP from http://www.bitcoincharts.com/markets/currencies/ . MPEx uses it for options exercises for over a year without problem (except when bitcoincharts is unreachable but that did not happen since April).

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 12:38:31 AM

I recommend 24hour VWAP from http://www.bitcoincharts.com/markets/currencies/ . MPEx uses it for options exercises for over a year without problem (except when bitcoincharts is unreachable but that did not happen since April).

Well, which function to use on a certain exchange is an age old discussion. For me the last price at the exchange (which exchange?) is the best indicator for what the price will be in the near future. Just make transparent where the data comes from.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
niko

Activity: 756

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 03:58:54 AM

Well, which function to use on a certain exchange is an age old discussion. For me the last price at the exchange (which exchange?) is the best indicator for what the price will be in the near future. Just make transparent where the data comes from.
There is a relatively large spread on some - virtex, for example. Last price fluctuates several percent simply depending on the last trade being a fill of a buy or  a sell order. What Jan describes sounds better, if I understood it correctly.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Michael_S

Activity: 278

Bitcoin-Note-and-Voucher-Printing-Empowerer

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 12:09:22 PM
Last edit: September 08, 2013, 12:23:34 PM by Michael_S

Yes, this was observed by me as well. there is a slight bug where the old view is not discarded. A fix is underway where initialization is moved to onResume. The next beta will contain a fix for that.

a bug in mycelium 073:

Just in case we were actually talking about a different bug, I'd like to mention that in version 0.75 the bug from post #651 still shows up.

Also strange: When I am just editing the label of key b while key b is already "archived", key b will become the visible key again on the main view, as I just found out. Also 100% reproducible.

Michael_S

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 12:30:41 PM

Also, when more than one key is active, I think there should be some systematic way to determine which of them is the prime key in the main view. Currently the rule behind this seems to be somewhat arbitrary.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 01:26:15 PM

Also, when more than one key is active, I think there should be some systematic way to determine which of them is the prime key in the main view. Currently the rule behind this seems to be somewhat arbitrary.
Thanks for your observations.
The basic rule is that whatever key you select in Keys & Addresses, be it an active or archived key, is the one shown in the balance view. This way you have the following properties:
1. If the selected key is in the active key set (and aggregate mode is enabled in settings, which is the default), then the balance view will show the aggregate value of all your active keys, and the receiving address will be that of the selected key.
2. If the selected key is in the archive, then the balance view will show the value of this single key, which will also be the the receiving address.

The UI is not very clear about this, and I have to find a way to make it very plain that this the way it works. One thing that helps a bit is that the balance view shows a yellowish message stating that you are observing an archived key if you have selected a key in the archive.

Michael_S

View Profile
September 08, 2013, 02:15:11 PM

Thanks Jan, it is much clearer now to me.

one thing still: currently I can select my archived old key "b" (that has been generated with the rnd gen android flaw) and thereby make it the default receive key, and I do not get any warning.

I only get a warning when shifting it from archive to active.

I think there should be a clear warning whenever attempting to receive to a possibly corrupted key.

(also, all possibly corrupted keys could always show up in red(?) color for example, in all windows, i.e. "brandmarked" keys)

nybble41

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 02:34:48 AM

There are currently several backup strategies:
1. No backup...
2. Export as QR-code...
3. Export private key to clipboard...
4. Export to SD card...
I would suggest adding a "share" option. Provided my understanding of it is correct, that should allow you to export the key to a particular application, rather than directly exposing it to all running applications like the clipboard option, or all programs with SD card access like the file option.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 06:21:37 AM

There are currently several backup strategies:
1. No backup...
2. Export as QR-code...
3. Export private key to clipboard...
4. Export to SD card...
I would suggest adding a "share" option. Provided my understanding of it is correct, that should allow you to export the key to a particular application, rather than directly exposing it to all running applications like the clipboard option, or all programs with SD card access like the file option.

Interesting idea. On Android there is a mechanism to share content with various apps based on content type. For instance you can click on your address on the main view and share it as text with various apps accepting text.
To do that safely with key export (as a text or a JPG image) I would like to first have BIP 38 implemented (export with encryption) with an app generated secure passphrase. Something to look into going forward.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 10:28:05 AM

Mycelium is finally moving to its own thread where the latest update is announced.
Please follow suit and continue Mycelium discussion there.

I'll let this thread continue for those who are still running BitcoinSpinner.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:27:24 PM

BitcoinSpinner bids a fond farewell.

BitcoinSpinner has now been officially replaced by Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet. Mycelium is far superior, made by the same developer, and has a huge active user base.

Migrating to Mycelium is easy:
1. Install Mycelium on your device
2. Open BitcoinSpinner and go to Settings -> Advanced -> Export private key -> Copy to clipboard
3. Open Mycelium and go to Settings and enable Expert Mode
4. In Mycelium go to the Keys tab, click the + button and click Clipboard
(If you don't want to place your private key on the clipboard you can take a picture with an offline camera and have Mycelium scan it directly from the camera display)

The BitcoinSpinner server will run until December 30. The next BitcoinSpinner update will clearly tell you how to migrate (available in an hour or two).

Q: Can I still run BitcoinSpinner after December 30?
A: Yes. You can start BitcoinSpinner and migrate your private keys to another wallet. But, you cannot synchronize with the block chain or send transactions.

Q: Does it hurt to shut down the BitcoinSpinner server after more than 2 years?
A: Actually yes, in bitcoinland 2 years is quite a lot. However working full time on Mycelium for more than half a year has been so fun and rewarding, and knowing that I leave the old BitcoinSpinner users with a much better wallet really soothes the pain :-)

Q: Is it fun to ask yourself questions when you know that it is unlikely that anyone reads this far?
A: Hmm...

ffe

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:37:23 AM

The App is dead....    Long live the App

Goodbye to a great Bitcoin wallet. Well done Jan.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 02:58:28 AM

Congratulations! I always like to see a bitcoin business going out of business without big chaos like being hacked or so. Guess it's really time to change my sig from Spinner to Mycelium Smiley

How are the other Mycelium ventures doing? Is the bitcoincard coming soon?

ɃɃ
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:30:27 PM

Congratulations! I always like to see a bitcoin business going out of business without big chaos like being hacked or so. Guess it's really time to change my sig from Spinner to Mycelium Smiley

How are the other Mycelium ventures doing? Is the bitcoincard coming soon?

All the backend systems for Bitcoincard have been completed for quite some time. The tricky part is the hardware. Making something that is 0.86 mm thick AND bendable while containing a processor, radio, battery, buttons, and display is really really hard. For every piece there is only one or two companies in the world who can do it. Anyway, since I am a software developer (and know nothing about hardware) I really cannot answer any questions in that regard, but you are welcome to send an email to info@mycelium.com. Since it is Christmas it may take some time before you get an answer Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: