Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:49:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin the enabler - Truly Autonomous Software Agents roaming the net  (Read 43813 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:58:06 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2013, 01:29:12 AM by julz

I think this one may take a little while to materialize - but simple versions could appear once there are enough for-bitcoin hosting/cloud services.

For the first time, there exists the possibility for a software agent to roam the internet with it's own wallet.
Using Bitcoin - It could purchase the resources it needs to survive (hosting/cpu/memory) and sell services to other agents or to humans.

To be truly effective and survive 'out there on the net' long term, you'd probably need some basic AI and the ability to move itself between service providers occasionally - but even a relatively dumb agent might survive for a while.

What initial goals such agents might be given is anyone's guess. Funneling back to the programmer any profit  over and above what the agent needs to survive would be the obvious case, and of course many such agents might be considered 'nefarious' depending on how they're programmed to achieve that goal.  Other agents might be designed to provide free services or act in a way to support some piece of internet infrastructure.

A really interesting development would be if someone released a bunch of these things with a Genetic Algorithm component so that they 'bred' with each other in order to find the best balance between profit and durability.

Anyone know of examples of people discussing or working on this?  

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:19:30 PM

Brace for epic, with some community support that can be something epic

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:21:13 PM

Initial goal should be to make as much money (bitcoins) as possible.  Very interesting idea though.
kristoffernolgren

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:31:10 PM

OMG! THIS IS AWESOME!

Here is a case (it's kind of bad will, but works as a proof of concept). Say that you build a captcha-cracker, that requiers CPU. People pay for the Captchas to be cracked and you provide some kind of API for people to offer their CPU and hosting of the software, if they do so, they get bitcoins. Putting this up online, with some marketing, the software should survive on it's own as long as there are captchas that needs to be cracked.

An additional step would be to through the API, making it possible to serve ads for the software, selling improved algorithms to it, etc. This could increase the softwares power.

Building upon this, eventually, the human race well be motivated to server machines as it will benefit us financially.
jimbobway
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:39:01 PM

This autonomous bot could start day trading and make big bucks.
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 05:44:07 PM

...and someone, posing himself as hosting provider, can collect them and scrape for their private keys :)
(or modify public keys)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
jimbobway
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:53:28 PM

...and someone, posing himself as hosting provider, can collect them and scrape for their private keys Smiley
(or modify public keys)

...or a software agent could provide hosting services and scrape private keys from humans. Smiley
julz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:57:26 PM

...and someone, posing himself as hosting provider, can collect them and scrape for their private keys Smiley
(or modify public keys)

You're right that there would ultimately be a strong incentive for memory/cpu service providers to reverse-engineer and monitor memory for keys, but I suspect there are ways around this.
It may be that trusting any one provider with too much is a serious hazard for agents.  
(actually no agent would ever want to be running entirely on one system anyway as a simple shutdown might kill it)
Some sort of split-key system might work there, or it might require some of the new bitcoin scripting features.

Agents might need to share information on 'cause of death' and investigate(well.. at least monitor/record) each other's 'murders' and any pillaging by hosts - thus forming a sort of reputation system for service providers.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 06:02:42 PM

i can see the skynet comming...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 06:05:44 PM

Social engineering seemed like a reasonable way to start propagating, I have some code started at my latest GitHub project.

-MarkM- (Oh the project? Galactic Milieu of course.)

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
julz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 06:09:05 PM

i can see the skynet comming...

Yeah.. when autonomous software agents start ordering physical components to put in racks and then designing their own data centers it could start to freak people out!
(but, they'll probably have worked out by then how to buy fake human IDs  - so it mightn't be obvious it's happening for a while)

krusaderx

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 07:06:44 PM

This would make a cool sub-plot in a novel - the AI grows itself through ordering professional services to rack and stack more processing power paid for w/ BTC profits.  Cue computer morality issue plot point and let the dystopia flow as the AI takes over small financial sectors through whatever wealth building method and militarizes to protect its empire.  No idea how to make the protagonists' fight against it interesting, but that's what sci-fi/tech authors live for.

Kind of a Skynet bootstrap w/o recycling the plot of War Games / Terminator again.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 07:21:19 PM

Social engineering seemed like a reasonable way to start propagating, I have some code started at my latest GitHub project.

-MarkM- (Oh the project? Galactic Milieu of course.)

lol, so this is what all that mumbo jumbo was all about ?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 07:29:35 PM

I thought about this when I first heard about bitcoin.  Haven't found a solution to the problem of memory providers stealing private keys though.
boonies4u

Activity: 826

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 07:31:27 PM

I would be interested to see if a software agent to destroy all bitcoins it did not need to survive or expand (at a predictable rate) would be created.

There's a word for this kind of behavior, but I forget what it's called.
PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 07:37:42 PM

All along I was thinking about how possible computationally intelligent agents will use bitcoins as their currency as well. If bitcoins become accepted everywhere, the agent would be able to get all of its needs met (hardware, software, energy, security, hu-man-power) using bitcoins. It would not need an SS number to open a bank, it would not need an identity, it could work in a swarm collective, or as a replicating individual. It would not need an anthropomorphic body, as their will be plenty of willing ones available that can be hired without even knowing they are talking with a machine.

Basically a corporation without the investors or annoying bureaucracy, and without any legal obligations or morality. It won't be a scary walking robot with a gun. It will be a box sitting under a desk telling people to be scary and walk around with guns. That is of course only if that is what it takes to get its needs met.

Sounds like a good start for a scifi novel.

damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 07:41:05 PM

I thought about this when I first heard about bitcoin.  Haven't found a solution to the problem of memory providers stealing private keys though.

A lot can be done by means of code obfuscation. For example, it has taken many manhours to analyze Stuxnet, and I believe they still do not completely understand Duqu.
nixxle

Activity: 47

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 07:46:48 PM

Governments will build millions of slightly-different evolving automated versions. This Gray Goo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo ) will be dropped inside a hostile state. Currently probably Iran. Or China even?

The bots will try to profit off the economy of the hostile state. When successful profit-schemes have been found, other bots will be notified so they too can maximize profit. All profit will be turned in to Bitcoins. These Bitcoins will be "destoryed" (lost inside untracable wallet files). Thereby slowly grinding the economy to a halt as all money is drained away by these automatons. Descending the state into revolt and then anarchy.
nixxle

Activity: 47

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 07:49:05 PM

All along I was thinking about how possible computationally intelligent agents will use bitcoins as their currency as well. If bitcoins become accepted everywhere, the agent would be able to get all of its needs met (hardware, software, energy, security, hu-man-power) using bitcoins. It would not need an SS number to open a bank, it would not need an identity, it could work in a swarm collective, or as a replicating individual. It would not need an anthropomorphic body, as their will be plenty of willing ones available that can be hired without even knowing they are talking with a machine.

Basically a corporation without the investors or annoying bureaucracy, and without any legal obligations or morality. It won't be a scary walking robot with a gun. It will be a box sitting under a desk telling people to be scary and walk around with guns. That is of course only if that is what it takes to get its needs met.

Sounds like a good start for a scifi novel.

Maybe we'll meet one day, inside one of these:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/
boonies4u

Activity: 826

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 07:59:01 PM

Governments will build millions of slightly-different evolving automated versions. This Gray Goo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo ) will be dropped inside a hostile state. Currently probably Iran. Or China even?

The bots will try to profit off the economy of the hostile state. When successful profit-schemes have been found, other bots will be notified so they too can maximize profit. All profit will be turned in to Bitcoins. These Bitcoins will be "destoryed" (lost inside untracable wallet files). Thereby slowly grinding the economy to a halt as all money is drained away by these automatons. Descending the state into revolt and then anarchy.

You're right, but the revolt and anarchy would only be local.  It would just maximize the value of the government(s) and our own bitcoins, assuming that we aren't in the hostile state.

Bitcoin needs to start deflating now! lol  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: