Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:25:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 110 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][QBC] Québecoin - X11 - DGW - (BITTREX) - Win/Mac/Linux Wallets - New  (Read 161804 times)
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:10:28 PM

[IPO Intensifiying]

Down to 20k QBC for my share, each one worth more now. Keep it up, liking all your responses in this thread OP. If the IPO passes 5 BTC, I'll put in another 1 BTC. Plus Another 1 BTC at 10 BTC.

edit: Was chatting on Poloniex trollbox about QBC, some guy promoting EMC2 over there was anti-quebec as hell. Didn't even take a look at the coin.

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
JPGagnon (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 10:55:49 PM

I'm having some really nice discussions with a few people who are asking questions by PM. It's allowing me to formulate my ideas for QBC really clearly and letting creativity flow. Big thanks to everyone asking the right questions, you're helping me think of every detail.

Québecoin - QBC [X11 - DarkGravityWave] Take a look! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=552561.0 - http://ww.qbc.io
JPGagnon (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 10:58:54 PM

[IPO Intensifiying]

Down to 20k QBC for my share, each one worth more now. Keep it up, liking all your responses in this thread OP. If the IPO passes 5 BTC, I'll put in another 1 BTC. Plus Another 1 BTC at 10 BTC.

edit: Was chatting on Poloniex trollbox about QBC, some guy promoting EMC2 over there was anti-quebec as hell. Didn't even take a look at the coin.

Sounds like a good plan to keep your share close to the original number of coins you have right now. I'll have to go take a look on Poloniex, but it's still just a trollbox of course, everyone is promoting the coin they own and want others to buy most likely. You can't trust people on there to make your decisions for you. No offense.

Québecoin - QBC [X11 - DarkGravityWave] Take a look! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=552561.0 - http://ww.qbc.io
Brunic

Activity: 632

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:41:54 PM

Some questions:

1) Is it possible to reconsider the percentage of pre-mined coins? To lower it? Something like 24% (St-Jean!)?

2) Would that be possible to use the law to secure the pre-mined coins? Throwing ideas like that, but something like having the wallet containing the pre-mined coins in a bank safe, with some sort of lawyer autorisation to access the coins? I'm thinking, you write a contract where you can only access the coins on a specific moment (for the airdrop) and you need the law autorisation to get to the coins in a vault somewhere.

3) If the above is possible, is it also possible to audit the pre-mining, having multiple parties who can confirm that the only copies of the pre-mined wallet are those who are going in the safe?

Removing the need of having to trust the founder of the coin would probably help a lot.
JPGagnon (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 12:03:38 AM

Some questions:

1) Is it possible to reconsider the percentage of pre-mined coins? To lower it? Something like 24% (St-Jean!)?

2) Would that be possible to use the law to secure the pre-mined coins? Throwing ideas like that, but something like having the wallet containing the pre-mined coins in a bank safe, with some sort of lawyer autorisation to access the coins? I'm thinking, you write a contract where you can only access the coins on a specific moment (for the airdrop) and you need the law autorisation to get to the coins in a vault somewhere.

3) If the above is possible, is it also possible to audit the pre-mining, having multiple parties who can confirm that the only copies of the pre-mined wallet are those who are going in the safe?

Removing the need of having to trust the founder of the coin would probably help a lot.

1) Every detail concerning the number of coins is calculated to assure a great distribution in every aspect. I think this is one point which I'd like to keep the same.

2) and 3) - I'm 100% open to this idea and proposed it earlier after someone mentioned that the Aphroditecoin devs dumped a huge part of the premine on the market, which disgusted me. Since every airdrop (5 total, coinciding with every halving and the end of the mining period) is for 1/5 the coins, we can do 5 separate (paper?) wallets holding the same share of premined coins. If there is anyone trustable enough (Are hero members like yourself trustable or enough or do we need multiple 'heroes'?) we can simply do a regular transfer over the network from my premine wallet to 5 separate cold storage wallets to ensure that I don't have any backup copies of the wallet files in my possession and make it a trustless solution. These cold storage wallets can then be put into a bank account and have sealed access directly by the bank until specified dates in time. This is just a quick solution so please don't hesitate to propose better alternatives.

JPGagnon (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 12:50:14 AM

There are still a few easy bounties up for grabs people! The article and blog post about QBC are great examples, don't rush it though! I just put up a new and very important bounty. I want to make it as easy as possible for people to mine QBC and for that purpose I need an A to Z tutorial/infographic which shows people how to mine with the X11 algorithm. It needs to cover both GPU and CPU using the same mining software available for Darkcoin. It has a generous bounty and I'd love to see some quality work!

JPGagnon (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 01:17:11 AM

I've gotten another IPO investment for around 0.22 BTC and I've encouraged the person who made it to come forward and make it public in this thread to keep everything as transparent as possible. I'm on the road currently (and still checking this thread and responding to PMs and e-mails!) so I'll have to wait to get home to update the IPO page to the newest amounts. We've crossed the 1.5 BTC mark though!

aws

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:20:47 AM

@JP

I would like to take part in the IPO, but essentially i am investing in you.
Would you mind either posting or PM'ing me your linkedin profile url?

I actually don't even use linkedin, I have a facebook profile but I don't think that's exactly credible. I wanted to avoid the complications of using an escrow but I'm open to suggestions of a trusted third party or community member who has dealt with this kind of thing before as I know that would make people feel more at ease. I know that the Heavycoin IPO didn't use any escrow and that made their life a lot easier and let them avoid additional fees paid to the escrow and delays with payment. It ended being 100% legit even though they are completely anonymous. While I'm not trying to be anonymous, I'd prefer not sharing all my private information with the world. The internet can be a nasty place. I think I'm pretty easy to find as I'm not actually trying to hide and I already have plans for future meetups in Montréal with people who e-mailed me and want to participate in promoting QBC. Other than that If you prefer not dealing with escrow I can make a video of a fully functioning Québecoin-Qt client or something like that. So with that info you'll be able to find an arrangement that makes you feel at ease with investing.

Let me know what you think!
Okay, how about detailing your plans for the coin for the short term and long term ?
You said you'd like to work on the coin full time. Are you a developer or a marketer?
What's your formal education?
Do you have a grasp on the technical issues with crypots?
Do you have a marketing team? Development team?
You mentioned a Montreal meet-up, when is it happening, maybe I can come by?

I understand that right now you have the Quebec angle, X11 and DGW, but what else?
Is that enough to survive in the jungle of cryptos?
Lets say that all people in Quebec adopt QBC, like you said that's only 8 million people. On a global scale, that's not too high.
Of course you can realistically count on 1% adoption, since only very few people know about cryptos.
I am not trying to be negative, just realistic.
Really only a few coins managed to make an impression beyond the crypo community.
(Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin are the 3 famous ones, there are other innovative ones like Darkcoin - first X11 and DGW, Primecoin - first useful work other than useless hashing, Peercoin - POS and no hard limit, Namecoin - for obvious reasons)
However, the general public has not heard about cryptos.
I have heard the comparisons of cryptos to internet circa mid-90's but im not sure i see the parallels, to replace fiat currency it will take more than a generation IMHO.

In my opinion for a coin to survive it must have a lot of services and sufficient marketing.
 Block explorer is a must. Merchant tools are a big plus. 
I know you will attract miners for two reasons:
1) X11 - GPU miners moving over from scrypt
2) speculators - they always jump on new coins since the difficulty is low.
But it is not guaranteed that they will stay for the long term.
In summary im looking for what sets QBC apart from any other coin to help it with long term survival.
aws

Activity: 219

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:27:45 AM

interested in a polish translation?
I can do that as well.

I can also put together an X11 mining guide for GPUs.
In my opinion there is no point mining with a CPU, electricity costs will be greater than coins mined (at least that's how it is for other X11 coins)
JPGagnon (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 01:36:28 AM

I think we have our first person trying to scam another IPO investor! I was talking with the person who made the last investment (around 0.22 BTC) and he's from Québec, uses his real name and was very curteous. Then I get a PM here and an e-mail from a very suspicious e-mail address claiming that they made the transaction. The user on bitcointalk already has negative feedback so there is clearly no confusion.

How dumb are you scammers? First of all the IPO coins are not being sent right away and second of all there will always be a very rigorous process to insure integrity of the investor list. Beware of the user in the screenshot above, he's been accused of scamming before.

I can do that as well.

In my opinion there is no point mining with a CPU, electricity costs will be greater than coins mined (at least that's how it is for other X11 coins)

I would love a legit polish translation, I removed the bounties because people were using google translate and doing a terrible job. A bounty of 125 QBC will be awarded for the translation. If you can put together a well constructed and easy to understand guide for mining (and keep QBC as the theme of that mining) that would be perfect and I'll put a claim on the reward for you. I do need the CPU mining part (maybe as a side note since it's a lot easier to configure). At the beginning some people might go ahead and cpu mine for a few coins anyways while the difficulty is lower.

I'm currently reading your other post and will respond in a few minutes.

d4n7

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:39:12 AM

I am from Québec province and I really like the idea of a Québec crypto-currency.  I myself, had the same idea a couple weeks ago to create such a currency for the province but someone else thought about it before me.  I really think that jpgagnon did an excellent job so far.

One thing I would like to know is how many developers are on boat in this project? Is it a single guy endeavour?  If it Québecoin is a one guy only experiment, what happen if he gets sick or gets in an accident?

Anyway, I made an investment in the IPO for 100$ US

BTC transaction ID : acae2dda38200ab4f4e650cd7114e904011c07237947105d55e1e4b1137b1c21
Amount : 0.22271219 BTC

I only hope for the best in Québecoin! Vivre le Québec libre!
d4n7

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:47:39 AM

I think we have our first person trying to scam another IPO investor! I was talking with the person who made the last investment (around 0.22 BTC) and he's from Québec, uses his real name and was very curteous. Then I get a PM here and an e-mail from a very suspicious e-mail address claiming that they made the transaction. The user on bitcointalk already has negative feedback so there is clearly no confusion.

https://i.imgur.com/yVzNK9p.png

How dumb are you scammers? First of all the IPO coins are not being sent right away and second of all there will always be a very rigorous process to insure integrity of the investor list. Beware of the user in the screenshot above, he's been accused of scamming before.

I can do that as well.

I would love a legit polish translation, I removed the bounties because people were using google translate and doing a terrible job. A bounty of 125 QBC will be awarded for the translation. If you can put together a well constructed and easy to understand guide for mining (and keep QBC as the theme of that mining) that would be perfect and I'll put a claim on the reward for you. I do need the CPU mining part (maybe as a side note since it's a lot easier to configure). At the beginning some people might go ahead and cpu mine for a few coins anyways while the difficulty is lower.

I'm currently reading your other post and will respond in a few minutes.

You are right, I am the one who made this transaction! You need a better way to correlate data from the real investors.
JPGagnon (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 01:55:25 AM

Okay, how about detailing your plans for the coin for the short term and long term ?
You said you'd like to work on the coin full time. Are you a developer or a marketer?

I understand that right now you have the Quebec angle, X11 and DGW, but what else?
Lets say that all people in Quebec adopt QBC, like you said that's only 8 million people. On a global scale, that's not too high.
Of course you can realistically count on 1% adoption, since only very few people know about cryptos.
Really only a few coins managed to make an impression beyond the crypo community.
(Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin are the 3 famous ones, there are other innovative ones like Darkcoin - first X11 and DGW, Primecoin - first useful work other than useless hashing, Peercoin - POS and no hard limit, Namecoin - for obvious reasons)
I have heard the comparisons of cryptos to internet circa mid-90's but im not sure i see the parallels, to replace fiat currency it will take more than a generation IMHO.

In my opinion for a coin to survive it must have a lot of services and sufficient marketing.
In summary im looking for what sets QBC apart from any other coin to help it with long term survival.

I had a really long answer almost finished... just lost it by accidently going back to the last page. Really painful. Give me some more time.

JPGagnon (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 01:59:19 AM

I am from Québec province and I really like the idea of a Québec crypto-currency.  I myself, had the same idea a couple weeks ago to create such a currency for the province but someone else thought about it before me.  I really think that jpgagnon did an excellent job so far.

One thing I would like to know is how many developers are on boat in this project? Is it a single guy endeavour?  If it Québecoin is a one guy only experiment, what happen if he gets sick or gets in an accident?

Anyway, I made an investment in the IPO for 100$ US

BTC transaction ID : acae2dda38200ab4f4e650cd7114e904011c07237947105d55e1e4b1137b1c21
Amount : 0.22271219 BTC

I only hope for the best in Québecoin! Vivre le Québec libre!

Everything you're asking will be answered in my response to the question by "aws" , I just accidently deleted it and have to type it again, taking a quick frustration break. A big thanks once again for your trust and for making your investment public for the sake of transparency.

You are right, I am the one who made this transaction! You need a better way to correlate data from the real investors.

Any suspicious activity will be investigated and in case of doubt I'll never release funds without verifying the ownership of the address from which the payment comes. No worries about security.

friendly

Activity: 162

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:20:52 AM

Can we invest less than .1 btc, or is that the minimum? Will there be any small bounties for promotion on blogs/sites? Thanks.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:06:28 AM

Québec is a place I'd like to visit in the summer someday, but it might take a few years.

Edit:
Maybe autumn, Wow.
Hopefully this year.  Smiley

JPGagnon (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 03:52:59 AM

Ok second try at this answer, hopefully I won't delete it again like a fool.

The shortest short term is finishing this IPO successfully and moving on to the mining phase. There will be password protected zips available a bit before launch and the first 72 blocks have no block reward to let miners set up their gear and DGW kick in correctly. An android wallet is a top priority since it's an essential tool to make QBC mobile (iOS wallet can be expected only if apple opens their walled garden). Short term promotion will be done through small scale giveaways to the entire community and specific giveaways targeted at the local (Québec) demographic who are the most eager to try out QBC. These are the people who will explain it to their friends and the people who will be the first to accept it as payment for their small businesses. You have to target the right people, the innovators, because those are the people you have to count on for getting the word out.  You mention that we can realistically count on 1% adoption, and that's exactly why there is a delayed airdrop procedure. It seems that most people in crypto lately are focusing on the short term since a new coin is born and dies every day. That's not the right way to do any crypto, let alone a nation coin. You've got to build it from the ground up. Take a look at this graph which a lot of people are familiar with.

You can't just airdrop all your coins and expect people to get it and adopt it right away. It has to be done in stages. Crossing the 'chasm' on the graph is done by targeting the right people to ensure a connection between innovators and early adopters. Spain/Greece/Whatever coins (apart from being moneygrabs and scams) have NO chance of working. They are basically using a crypto-shotgun and blasting the crowds with unwanted coins (and those are countries with populations in the tens of millions). Basically the other 99% of people haven't even had a chance to hear about the Nation-coin and here they are just giving them away. QBC is a sniper, you target a few people to start with and move on and change your strategy as adoption increases. There are a total of 5 airdrops for QBC, spaced out by block reward halvings. A similar number to the variety of people in the graph above. A lot of people have been saying the distribution is too far away, but that's a short sighted way of seeing it. If we presume for the sake of our example that bitcoin is here for the next 50 years, it's the gold standard and allows all other altcoins to live (in this example). Then 10 years down the line when the laggards on the graph get their share of QBC, everyone else will already be using it and they can ask anyone how it works. This type of project has to be planned for the long term, no matter what the current state of cryptocurrencies may be.

I'm going to be both developer and marketer for QBC, the team at the moment is 2 people and that includes a partner/friend who takes care of graphical design and marketing part time. My formal education is actually in finance but my programming experience is in C++ and python mostly. I'm currently learning all the ins and outs of crypto to make sure that I'm able to respond to any other problem that may arise. I had a conversation through PM with "Brunic" who is also from Québec, where I noted that I'm no team of coblee&warren, the litecoin devs. I'll be able to make sure everything runs smoothly and that we stay up to date, but I won't be creating any new features by myself (for the moment).

QBC has X11 and DGW, and what else? As far as the tech specs go, we will have whatever is needed to be up to date in the crypto world. The important thing is that it works as a currency for Québec, not that we create amazing new features, because initially X11 and DGW are there to attract miners and people who care about crypto. What will make sure we survive? Read on below.

The mining distribution for Québecoin has been carefully crafted. I'll reitirate from a previous post. QBC generates 14976 coins per day. Vertcoin for example does about 2x that at 28800 and a badly planned nation coin like SpainCoin generates about 5x times more ! 72000 coins a day! Vertcoin is a popular coin and even though it has a higher total coin cap, in times of low demand the higher production rate means the price will be less stable. And for SpainCoin it simply means the coins you buy today are worth less tomorrow since the market is getting flooded with a big supply every day. QBC is designed to be valuable and distributed in a manner that allows it to keep value. Take a look at this comparison graph I posted earlier (SPA in yellow, VTC in green and QBC in blue)

The IPO for Québecoin is also precisely calculated. The IPO coins represent almost exactly 14 days of mining (576 blocks per day x 26 QBC / block x 14 days =  209 664 (compared to 210 000 for the IPO). Which is also exactly 1% of the premined coins. This creates a well balanced equilibrium between miners and IPO investors. The amount of the IPO premine is small enough that the market can absorb it but big enough that investors are happy. And the mining rate means that there can be growth without being hindered by an abundance of coins. DarkGravityWave means that there won't be one person who ends up with most of the coins. A delayed airdrop ensures that the market is safer for investors and miners because there aren't any free coins watering down the market while at the same time not wasting coins on people who don't even know why they should use it and what it is.

But far more importantly we have an actual plan. It's not filled with fake promises that we made up to get your attention. I actually thought it through the best I could while asking myself, how is it really going to unfold? I absolutely love the concept of nation-coins and I have no idea whether any of them are actually legit! (Auroracoin could be an exception). So when I thought about Québecoin I had to ask myself what it would take to actually make it happen. What does it take to create an alternative to the currency in place with a cryptocurrency? The answer is a natural growth following adoption in cycles.

WALL OF TEXT ABOVE : QBC is the only realistic nation coin currently on the market. I've actually taken the time to consider what it would take to really make this happen. Every part of the chain has been factored into crafting Québecoin. Technical specs, realistic promotion and goals, delayed airdrops separated into adoption cycles, carefully crafted mining distribution to ensure a steady but slow flow of coins into the market. Whether you're a Québecer, an investor, a miner or a speculator, some part of Québecoin has been built while thinking about each of these people.

Will Québecoin be a success, there's no way to know right now but we've planned for the future.

Our biggest challenge right now? (I was going to quote a post some guy made but he deleted it apparently) Basically it's the fact that nation coins have been given a terrible reputation by a big gang of greedy scammers who are making every possible nation coin while making it a shitcoin too. That means that if someone sees Québecoin, they come in here and yell 'scam and pump and dump' without actually taking the time to read and give us a chance. The people who actually did read through my posts and the questions I've answered are actually thinking about giving a nation coin a second look.

Maybe I've repeated myself in some place but that's it. Every part of the plan will be refined as we move forward.

JPGagnon (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 03:56:36 AM

Québec is a place I'd like to visit in the summer someday, but it might take a few years.

Edit:
Maybe autumn, Wow.
Hopefully this year.  Smiley

Any season but spring! There basically is no spring, all you have is tons of snow waiting to melt everywhere and stepping into puddles created by that melting. It just recently stopped snowing and I'm not sure it's finished yet.

Can we invest less than .1 btc, or is that the minimum? Will there be any small bounties for promotion on blogs/sites? Thanks.

There is no minimum, the 0.1 BTC was a minimum for the first 5 investors if they wanted a free can of maple syrup shipped from Québec. I was giving those away to them. (Now it's everyone over 1 BTC who will get one).

Brunic

Activity: 632

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:04:43 AM

Some questions:

1) Every detail concerning the number of coins is calculated to assure a great distribution in every aspect. I think this is one point which I'd like to keep the same.

2) and 3) - I'm 100% open to this idea and proposed it earlier after someone mentioned that the Aphroditecoin devs dumped a huge part of the premine on the market, which disgusted me. Since every airdrop (5 total, coinciding with every halving and the end of the mining period) is for 1/5 the coins, we can do 5 separate (paper?) wallets holding the same share of premined coins. If there is anyone trustable enough (Are hero members like yourself trustable or enough or do we need multiple 'heroes'?) we can simply do a regular transfer over the network from my premine wallet to 5 separate cold storage wallets to ensure that I don't have any backup copies of the wallet files in my possession and make it a trustless solution. These cold storage wallets can then be put into a bank account and have sealed access directly by the bank until specified dates in time. This is just a quick solution so please don't hesitate to propose better alternatives.

In the case where the value goes up, it becomes a HUUUUGE responsibility. It's a lot for 1 person.

I think something like this should be built.
- You have a management team of like 3 people for redundancy. They have the passwords to manage the pre-mined coins.
- You have a third-party that possess the wallet and control the access to it, but they don't have the passwords.

Like this, nobody from management can act without the 3rd party noticing. If somebody from the management dies or disappear, you have redundancy of access. It's a way to keep everybody in check and nobody can act alone. A bank can act easily as a third-party. You just need to build a management team.

You could also videotape all the operation of moving the pre-mined coins to cold storage wallets. That way, you have some sort of impartial witness that can be shared easily to people wanting to know how trustable the operation is.

To be blunt, if that pre-mine operation is not the most transparent possible, that coin is dead.
JPGagnon (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 05:05:36 AM

Some questions:

In the case where the value goes up, it becomes a HUUUUGE responsibility. It's a lot for 1 person.

I think something like this should be built.
- You have a management team of like 3 people for redundancy. They have the passwords to manage the pre-mined coins.
- You have a third-party that possess the wallet and control the access to it, but they don't have the passwords.

Like this, nobody from management can act without the 3rd party noticing. If somebody from the management dies or disappear, you have redundancy of access. It's a way to keep everybody in check and nobody can act alone. A bank can act easily as a third-party. You just need to build a management team.

You could also videotape all the operation of moving the pre-mined coins to cold storage wallets. That way, you have some sort of impartial witness that can be shared easily to people wanting to know how trustable the operation is.

To be blunt, if that pre-mine operation is not the most transparent possible, that coin is dead.

I'll have the initial master wallet with a bit less than 21 000 000 QBC. We can split that up into 5 different wallets, encrypted, backed up to two forms of physical media. A bank in Montréal acts as a trusted third party and doesn't allow access to the vault before a certain moment in time. Fool proof method + the fact that I actually would never dream of touching the premine for illegitimate reasons should be good enough for anyone.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 110 »
  Print  

Jump to: