Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:10:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT VS NEM  (Read 14346 times)
hyunsookmom (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:02:01 AM

Maybe there will be another clone of NXT which will be bigger than NXT but it looks like the two big ones so far are NEM and NXT.  I'm invested in both via a stake on NEM and NXT so I'm not biased either way.

My question is which one will win and be adopted. maybe both can co exist but I'm guessing one will be more popular and once people have moved to a platform then people will probably stick with it due to being able to trade inside it. Honestly at this point I don't know, but for the sake of my investment I would like to have as much opinions and info as possible to know...

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:17:53 AM

Last time I checked NEM is non-existant, except as a forum thread. No network, no software. So what exactly are you invested in as far as NEM goes?
hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:08:48 AM

Last time I checked NEM is non-existant, except as a forum thread. No network, no software. So what exactly are you invested in as far as NEM goes?

A stake and thanks for the obvious.

Of course this is speculation but for those involved deeply with NXT and NEM development there is a lot of potential information we can learn I'm sure. And dude if you didn't realise we are all speculating on the future based on current understanding be it Bitcoin or Dogecoin. Plus opinions do matter, popularity pretty much defines what coins stay and which ones get booted. It's a worthwhile discussion for me personally as I hold most of my crypto in NXT and am therefore wondering if NXT could die with the launch of NEM.

WayToGo

Activity: 322

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:15:17 AM

NEM is going to give a tough competition to NXT, and probably will overtake NXT in future.

The stigma about the distribution of NXT is never gonna leave and it will kill that coin,
once the successful clones are made with better distribution.
ElitistCA

Activity: 477

Blockchain Just Entered The Real World

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:26:24 AM

It is too soon. The fact is, that NXT is in difficult position, even though It seems to be best platform right now. Yes the stigma is huge problem.
NEM will no have any stigma, so if It delivers what we think, It will in my opinion overtake NXT.

███████████████████████
     ███▄ ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█▀▀  █████
    ███  █▀  ▀█▀▀▀       ▐█ ███
   ███  ▄██▄▄█▀▄▄▄        █▌ ███
  ███ ▄█▀  █     ▀█▄▄     ▐█  ▐██
 ███▄█▀    █        ▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄ ██
████▀      █           ▀██▀   ▀█ ██
 ██▀█▄     █          ▄█▀▀█▄▄▄█▀██
  ██ ▀█▄   █      ▄▄█▀▀    ▐█  ██
   ██  ▀█▄█▀▀█▄▄█▀▀        █▌ ██
    ███  █▄  ▄█▀█▄▄▄      █▌███
     ███  ▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀█▄▄▐████
      ███████████████████████

▄▄       ▄▄▄        ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄ 
  ▀█▄   ▄█▀ ▀█▄    ▄█▀ ▄█▀▀   ▀▀█▄
    ▀█▄█▀     ▀█▄▄█▀  ▐█         █▌
    ▄█▀█▄      ▄█▀    ▐█         █▌
  ▄█▀   ▀█▄  ▄█▀       █▄       ▄█
▄█▀       ▀██▀          ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀

Network
BLOCKCHAIN JUST ENTERED THE REAL WORLD
  Decentralized Crypto-Location Oracle Network
GET WHITELISTED FOR TOKEN SALE ( Limited )

WHITE PAPER  ││  ANN Thread  Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Reddit
hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:30:30 AM

NEM is going to give a tough competition to NXT, and probably will overtake NXT in future.

The stigma about the distribution of NXT is never gonna leave and it will kill that coin,

Isn't there any functions that NXT will have that clones could never have? I heard mention transparent forging was one, what the significance of that is I would love to understand more.

personally I never understood the backlash relate to distribution, in my mind how ever poor it was I can't see what was that unfair, as it was open for quite some time and even if the makers made a ton of money they ultimately deserve to be rewarded more than any clone surely. Anyway it seems it's important to people so therefore how ever much I think it's retarded I accept it's a problem. I wonder how much that diminishes over time though and if later adopters are gonna care???

And in the end if NXT explodes up in price from here, then no one can say they couldn't invest from these levels.

Magic8Ball
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:33:20 AM

Impossible to say unless NEM has a working product.

At present NXT works, but NEM does not.
hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:34:33 AM

It is too soon. The fact is, that NXT is in difficult position, even though It seems to be best platform right now. Yes the stigma is huge problem.
NEM will no have any stigma, so if It delivers what we think, It will in my opinion overtake NXT.

What does it hope to deliver that makes it much better than NXT? I know this sounds like a defensive attacking question but it's not, I genuinely want to know what is the best at least on paper if all things promised are delivered?

hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:39:58 AM

Impossible to say unless NEM has a working product.

At present NXT works, but NEM does not.

I kind of made the point earlier that it's technically impossible to 'know' what will be successful in the future even with Bitcoin. So all discussion is speculation on this forum, this is no different, just a bit less info to go on.

I think saying NEM is just a forum post that some might say is disingenuous as it has a lot of history, information and set plans surrounding the project.

devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 12:25:44 PM

If I remember correctly, NEM was going to clone NXT first, but then they changed plans to write code from scratch. Is that so? If that is so, just take a look at how long it takes for NXT to smooth out all bugs and to deliver. Writing code from scratch is a tantamount effort. If NEM is going to undertake that, it won't be sooner than end of 2014 that it delivers a product comparable to NXT, if at all. By that time NXT will be waaaayyyy ahead in adoption and websites infrastructure, underlying services, etc. NEM is just vaporware for now, only plans and words. Yes, I am stating the obvious, but apparently someone doesn't quite understand the obvious.

If NEM clones NXT as is, well, that could help it win some market share from NXT, as it won't be too far behind, but I still wouldn't bet on it. It'd be same as LTC always behind BTC, just a backup crypto.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 12:30:33 PM

Sorry, but people like me who weren't even around for the IPCO aren't going to care that much about the initial distribution. If I buy a stock on the exchange, do I care about how its IPO was originally run? I might, out of curiosity, but not that much. Since the IPO's in the dead past, there's nothing I can do about it either way; moreover, what concerns me is how the investment will perform going forward. I can't change the past, and the dead past can't change an investment's prospects. Time does heal all wounds.

An exception kicks in when the IPO is new. Case in point: Facebook, which sunk to below $25 after its IPO was botched. The botched IPO was relevant, but only as data for the question "is this investment out of favour?" Now, of course, FB is comfortably above its first trade price.

The trouble is, the "kernel" crypto-culture here is a rarefied echo chamber. As cryptos spread to the ordinary world, matters that are crucial here become less significant the farther you go.

• Dexter McGeek, software designer: He feels for the people who feel they got shafted, but he believes in NXT going forward. So he thinks of diplomatic solutions that would smooth away the hurt. Part of his plan is to talk up NEM as a vehicle of healthy competition for NXT.
  • Brent Pumped, investment banker: He has enough people sense to be aware of the hurt, but because he's well established in the regular world he secretly has the complainers pegged as sore losers who should just be humoured. A piddly little detail when compared with the big question of how NXT could score him more fees  Wink
  • Randolph Waspworthy, country-club stalwart and amateur angel investor: "Why would I care about a bunch of twerps who are nothing more than born complainers?" He living in a rather posh echo chamber, all his friends and the people he respects concur flatly. Especially about the "twerps" part....

Sorry to be a little blunt with the illustrations, but that's what happens when a new innovation spreads. The newcomers don't relate the vehicle to our lives, they relate it to their lives.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

WayToGo

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 12:50:12 PM

What does it hope to deliver that makes it much better than NXT? I know this sounds like a defensive attacking question but it's not, I genuinely want to know what is the best at least on paper if all things promised are delivered?

See the answer here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426303.msg6051133#msg6051133
Even if it delivers exactly as NXT, NEM has got a better distribution model.

Success is driven by people's perception and IMHO NXT has failed to gain that people's confidence with their initial distribution.
I wouldnt want to invest in some coins, which I know could be brought down to zero value if some of the inital investors get greedy.

I still think some of the investors are waiting for the price to go up a bit more to dump their coins.
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 12:50:43 PM

If I remember correctly, NEM was going to clone NXT first, but then they changed plans to write code from scratch. Is that so? If that is so, just take a look at how long it takes for NXT to smooth out all bugs and to deliver. Writing code from scratch is a tantamount effort. If NEM is going to undertake that, it won't be sooner than end of 2014 that it delivers a product comparable to NXT, if at all. By that time NXT will be waaaayyyy ahead in adoption and websites infrastructure, underlying services, etc. NEM is just vaporware for now, only plans and words. Yes, I am stating the obvious, but apparently someone doesn't quite understand the obvious.

Bang-on. Granted that there are times when the first-mover advantage erodes, but that's usually because the new entrant has a compelling advantage over the first mover. PayPal left eGold in the dust because a large majority of people preferred the mighty greenback to gold. Google was simpler and easier to use. IBM-compatible PCs made Apple an also-ran because IBM was shrewd enough to welcome clones - although that decision might well have been prompted by the in-house antitrust lawyers recommending an open approach. [IBM was sued for antitrust violations by the Justice Department just after New Year's in 1969, and the case was still pending when IBM moved into PCs.]

So what is NEM's compelling application? What shrewd plan does NEM have to overcome NXT's clear lead tech-wise? Sorry, but "fair distribution" isn't enough. That's a moral claim: in this sad old practical world, it'll only be compelling to moralists and people who are afraid of being envied. At best, NEM will be Apple to NXT's IBM. There'll be a vibrant fanboi culture supporting NEM, but that's all.

Actually, the fanboi circuit will be enough to keep NEM going. Apple fanbois kept Apple viable even in its darkest days. I actually hope that NEM will be the Apple to NXT's PC because one cyber can't be everything to everyone. Being in second does grant more freedom to be experimental. But, unless something really changes, NEM's fate is to be the alternative, not the standard, choice in the cyber-2.0 world.

Of course, once both gain traction, there'll always be the disappointed eMunie circuit saying to anyone who'll listen that eMunie thought of it first.  Smiley 

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

WayToGo

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:03:10 PM

Bang-on. Granted that there are times when the first-mover advantage erodes, but that's usually because the new entrant has a compelling advantage over the first mover. PayPal left eGold in the dust because a large majority of people preferred the mighty greenback to gold. Google was simpler and easier to use. IBM-compatible PCs made Apple an also-ran because IBM was shrewd enough to welcome clones - although that decision might well have been prompted by the in-house antitrust lawyers recommending an open approach. [IBM was sued for antitrust violations by the Justice Department just after New Year's in 1969, and the case was still pending when IBM moved into PCs.]

So what is NEM's compelling application? What shrewd plan does NEM have to overcome NXT's clear lead tech-wise? Sorry, but "fair distribution" isn't enough. That's a moral claim: in this sad old practical world, it'll only be compelling to moralists and people who are afraid of being envied. At best, NEM will be Apple to NXT's IBM. There'll be a vibrant fanboi culture supporting NEM, but that's all.

Actually, the fanboi circuit will be enough to keep NEM going. Apple fanbois kept Apple viable even in its darkest days. I actually hope that NEM will be the Apple to NXT's PC because one cyber can't be everything to everyone. Being in second does grant more freedom to be experimental. But, unless something really changes, NEM's fate is to be the alternative, not the standard, choice in the cyber-2.0 world.

Of course, once both gain traction, there'll always be the disappointed eMunie circuit saying to anyone who'll listen that eMunie thought of it first.  Smiley 

Take DOGE coin for example, what does it bring to the crypto world as new features?
Nothing, just a clone, but they did the marketing right and more people got involved in it to make it a success.

So my point is you dont have to come up with any killer features to succeed, just need to make people believe in the coin and success will folllow
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 01:13:33 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2014, 05:36:59 PM by gentlemand

I have a NEM stake and some NXT. Putting the question of differing features aside, I think with POS the initial distribution does count for a lot and who those stakes went to is important. Bitcoin's distribution is obviously skewed too, however those who have large amounts either paid a relatively large amount or put the effort in to mine it.

If your huge percentage arrived effectively out of nowhere I'd venture to say that you have less emotional investment in preserving the status quo. The ghost of massive holders does hang over NXT and if one or two twitch then its value goes into the toilet and confidence is destroyed. That's what would make me wary over putting large amounts in.
Nxtblg
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 04:39:46 PM

Take DOGE coin for example, what does it bring to the crypto world as new features?
Nothing, just a clone, but they did the marketing right and more people got involved in it to make it a success.

So my point is you dont have to come up with any killer features to succeed, just need to make people believe in the coin and success will folllow

Yes, you're right again. And nothing succeeds like success.

Defeated general: "We lost unfairly!"
Victorious general: "We won!"

hyunsookmom (OP)

Kamehameha!!!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 05:26:21 PM

If NEM clones NXT as is, well, that could help it win some market share from NXT, as it won't be too far behind, but I still wouldn't bet on it. It'd be same as LTC always behind BTC, just a backup crypto.

I'll go ahead and assume you think its me that doesn't quite understand the obvious. You made the point that NEM was non-existent and was just a forum thread which was silly. You can't deny that they have a bunch of people involved including some talented people from this forum and a lot of self interested stakeholders. They will i'm sure release something at some point...

But you actually made a decent point above in that even if they do get their shit together then NXT could be too far ahead. But also however much bluff it is the guys involved in NEM seem to think they will be launching in a month or two. While I know nothing about coding my hunch is that they are overplaying the idea that its a complete new code. My hunch is that really it wont be that different to NXT, a clone with a few cherries on top basically. I don't know if anyone with real tech knowledge knows how far away NEM is from the NXT in terms of code in reality?

ashapasa

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 05:29:42 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2014, 05:41:55 PM by ashapasa

Comparing NEM and NXT right now does not make any sense. NXT is a established coin while NEM is still under development.
That said, I dont think even one person out of the 3000 plus stakeholders who invested in the NEM IPO is regretting joining NEM infact most of them are ecstatic to be part of a very promising project.

I have diversified my crypto portfolio and have invested in a number of coins and IPO,  released and unreleased but as far as I am concerned NEM seems to be the most active and innovative coin, the very strong community and support cannot be underestimated as well.    

My advice to those who don't have a stake, please put your name in the waiting list. There will be a few stakes available after the multistake audit.

Smiley
pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 05:50:38 PM

Promises very often look better than realization but I wish NEM the best, also Nxt. I am holder of both (if my Nem stake promise will be fulfilled).

TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 06:05:39 PM

Promises very often look better than realization but I wish NEM the best, also Nxt. I am holder of both (if my Nem stake promise will be fulfilled).

Yes i have to agree. If NEM delivers all promises, then quite some time will have passed, and by that time, some killer features of NXT will be in existence. And at that moment, NEM will be one generation behind. I fear it will always be 1 generation behind.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: