Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:38:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT VS NEM  (Read 14346 times)
jkoil

Activity: 834
Merit: 524

Nxt NEM

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:30:45 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 01:57:31 AM by jkoil

less likely with nem due to the coins being spread out more, I for-see the marketing of NEM to be like doge this will help greatly for the value of this coin and get more people to invest in it

Keep dreaming.

You talk as if the NEM market will exist in isolation just because it's 'well distributed'. For a start, it isn't well distributed. There are 7 billion people in the world and 3000 of them are going to be stakeholders. You've just picked a totally arbitrary number to decide what is "good distribution" and what isn't. These markets are a golfish bowl floating in an Ocean the size of the Atlantic when you place them in a global context. The biggest market cap any of them can hope for in the short term is a few tens of millions which is loose change down the back of the couch to many interested parties that might take the inclination to scoop up half the money supply for their daughter's wedding present.

You don't need to be an "original stakeholder" to be able to manipulate a market. In fact it probably helps if you aren't because then you've got nothing to loose.

Smiley
That comparison to Earth population starts being quite funny, when trying to determine the optimal distribution Smiley    I'm remembering that first it was used against the "fairness". In that task it works better, but not well enough.

Ofc a good distribution can be determined. There is a method, but we do not know it. So, even you can't say "it isn't well distributed".
If only one owns all the coins, it is some kind of distribution.
After some time has passed, there will be X owners.

Maybe a good distribution is such that the number of coin owners X increases with a certain speed S (delta(X)/time). X and S need to be such that the coin "lives" = people are interested in it + it has quite stabile value (or at least not -10% in every week) + ...

That is one "theory" - or someone may say bull...  Smiley
But if returned back to NXT vs NEM distribution, there are only guesses about how well NEM's distibution will progress. Time will show.
If making an assumption, then it is easy to say that a better distribution is reached, when X is greater, coz then it has more 'connections' to transfer the coins. Time will show. For NEM.
For NXT that could have been already calculated - and could have been produced a bit better figures than those infographs as there already exist a lot of data Smiley

Edit:
if SNXT could be calculated eg. for every week, and the most of the NXT owners are satisfied with the distribution, then we can determine a 'good distribution', and that can be an example to all the coins Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 04:06:27 AM

Bitcoin is gold, but it will be too slow and old to compete with the 2.0s. 

Ethereum or NXT or Ripple have a good chance at being the next and first world currency.  Ripple might be accepted by governments, NXT is here now and working hard to improve.  Ethereum if delivered (and I believe the hype) will be a huge technological breakthrough. 

NEM, has a chance to become a big player too.  The advantage it has on NXT is that it can learn from all of NXT's mistakes.  So it is very possible that it can eventually overtake NXT, but not in the near term.  It'll have to be released of course.  The biggest mistakes of NXT are it distribution and its "forging" scheme.  NEM has already addressed distribution and is working on a new way to secure the network called POI. 

Really..... there are sooooo many factors involved.  One president of one country could entirely shape the economic future of the world if said president adapted one of these.  Even if just a major bank teams with one  of these, that would be a total game changer.  Hell...... if a few major celebrities came out in favor for one of these that would make boost the economy 10%.  Hahahaha.  Yes, seriously.

BBmodBB

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

BTC = FREEDOM IS OUR ONLY HOPE!

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 05:43:30 AM

Ethereum or NXT or Ripple have a good chance at being the next and first world currency.  Ripple might be accepted by governments, NXT is here now and working hard to improve.  Ethereum if delivered (and I believe the hype) will be a huge technological breakthrough. 

NEM, has a chance to become a big player too.  The advantage it has on NXT is that it can learn from all of NXT's mistakes.  So it is very possible that it can eventually overtake NXT, but not in the near term.  It'll have to be released of course.  The biggest mistakes of NXT are it distribution and its "forging" scheme.  NEM has already addressed distribution and is working on a new way to secure the network called POI. 

Really..... there are sooooo many factors involved.  One president of one country could entirely shape the economic future of the world if said president adapted one of these.  Even if just a major bank teams with one  of these, that would be a total game changer.  Hell...... if a few major celebrities came out in favor for one of these that would make boost the economy 10%.  Hahahaha.  Yes, seriously.

mannn but you haven't even seen my coin yet ! Its' going to blow all these turkeys out the water! Wink  ~easy!!!

*BTCitcoin Wales Club*-- message me for details!--///\\\TELEKINETICS///\\can manipulate objects with their mind. Telekinesis is one of the basis of many superpowers that are based on "controlling/manipulating", it may evolve to the point that a Telekinetic can control anything at a subatomic level.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:45:18 AM

By the end of 2014, when NEM might deliver some finished product, distribution of NXT won't be an issue, as at current low prices a lot of people are buying. They'll be buying even more when Assets Exchange is released (in test net now). I don't see NEM as any meaningful competition of NXT.
j23a

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:18:35 AM

By the end of 2014, when NEM might deliver some finished product, distribution of NXT won't be an issue, as at current low prices a lot of people are buying. They'll be buying even more when Assets Exchange is released (in test net now). I don't see NEM as any meaningful competition of NXT.

What makes you think that Nem will deliver a finish product at the end of year, when an Alpha version is being released in 2 weeks also, and a final product expected in June.

I mean, is there something that you know that other people are not aware of?

TBTSX4-NKRX55-HF2ECG-SHPBG3-XIDD2Y-QDRI3N-P2O6
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 08:47:14 AM

mannn but you haven't even seen my coin yet ! Its' going to blow all these turkeys out the water! Wink  ~easy!!!

I have been thinking about the famous BBcoin.  I am so excited, just tell me where and I can give you 1000BTC  hahahaha

devphp

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:16:03 AM

What makes you think that Nem will deliver a finish product at the end of year, when an Alpha version is being released in 2 weeks also, and a final product expected in June.

I mean, is there something that you know that other people are not aware of?

NXT released alpha in November, and I don't expect they will deliver a finished product sooner than September, with all the declared features. Moreover, CfB himself said that he's going to make sure he'll deliver in summer, add another month or two to squash bugs to make the software production quality (not alpha or beta quality).

It took bitcoin a few years to become what NXT already is - money transfer mechanism, and they still find bugs in bitcoin, it's still beta. NXT strives for more, to be more than just a crypto money transfer mechanism (see its list of features), I guess NEM strives for more also. There is no magic, and developing software from scratch, debugging it takes a long time. It doesn't matter what NEM 'expects', you have to be realistic about what people can actually deliver.

If NEM just clones NXT, it won't be far behind in features, but behind in adoption.
If NEM codes its own software, not clone NXT, then end of 2014 is a realistic expectation for a more or less finished product.
jabo38
Legendary

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 10:59:26 AM

The strange and wild twist to this story is that BCnext has left NXT completely, told people to make it better on their own.  But..... in a stranger twist a few days ago he released a message via CfB that NXT was just a test, just to see if his concept would work.  And now he has moved onto another project.  

Now..... How much of this can really be known.  Maybe BCnext is working as hard trying to fix nxt, just under a different name.  Or.... maybe what he said was not bullshit.  Maybe he will release a new project soon.  A small part of me desperately hopes it is NEM.  BCnext's whole point of making NXT was to make a new "mining" schema.  One that he had to compromise on because a truly radical concept for mining would not have been accepted by the community.  Now.... realistically, I gather that BCnext has nothing to do with NEM, but I wonder if he would approve.  NEM is inspired by NXT but is also attempting to having a completely different "mining" system, so in that point, it is in line with BCnext's plan.  Also, BCnext left NXT about the same time NEM was taking off.  I seriously doubt it, but the possibility and connections are made in my mind.  

Simakki

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 11:02:01 AM

Its quite funny to read this thread. Seriously both of these coin valuations are based on speculations and promises, it could be take years to see if either of these coins will manage to be real currency.
I hope that NEM maybe that one, but it is not even sure that any of these cryptocurrencies will even be that popular. Many of these writers sounds like some cult leaders or religious wackos with their prophecies. Rather funny is also that majority of these btt writers will sale their cryptos to Fiat money if then they can make a fortune...

If you are willing to read some journals or books about behavioural finance, im pretty sure you will find quite of bit similarities with current behavioural in cryptocurrency markets and dynamics of behavioural finance.

Even bitcoin is at the moment niche-product and how these nxt or NEM guys are so sure that 2.0 coins will be the "thing" Sounds like narrow minded though, because i can figure that in 2015 someone will create or claim to create generation 3.0 cryptocurrencies and so on...

Check out Betsikingi
for betting tips and for https://betsikingi.info/vedonlyontibonukset-vedonlyontisivustot and Unibet TV for sports live streaming!
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:42:19 AM

Its quite funny to read this thread. Seriously both of these coin valuations are based on speculations and promises, it could be take years to see if either of these coins will manage to be real currency.
I hope that NEM maybe that one, but it is not even sure that any of these cryptocurrencies will even be that popular. Many of these writers sounds like some cult leaders or religious wackos with their prophecies. Rather funny is also that majority of these btt writers will sale their cryptos to Fiat money if then they can make a fortune...

If you are willing to read some journals or books about behavioural finance, im pretty sure you will find quite of bit similarities with current behavioural in cryptocurrency markets and dynamics of behavioural finance.

Even bitcoin is at the moment niche-product and how these nxt or NEM guys are so sure that 2.0 coins will be the "thing" Sounds like narrow minded though, because i can figure that in 2015 someone will create or claim to create generation 3.0 cryptocurrencies and so on...

I kind of agree with this.

I walked into this thread just now to find a discussion about pros and cons.
Instead I find a cat fight between people who want to make either Nxt or NEM win.

I will state openly that I am invested in Nxt, since 23rd of December. I try to promote it as much as possible and try to organise stuff.

That does not mean in any way I dislike other efforts. I was one of the first people to take notice of NEM, not least because I knew utopianfuture as a solid person and I see he has done an admirable job of getting NEM organised. I sincerely hope that he succeeds.

Ethereum? Good luck to them!

I am in cryptos because I love the creativity people display in trying to come up with ways to solve a problem. Cryptos are a means to an end, not the end itself.
If one of them develops the Holy Grail of a truly usuable decentralised system that becomes popular and is generally accepted: big PROPS!

I still have my cards on Nxt: because I am seeing lots of things happening and being developed and see the community taking responsibility and changing.
People who expect this to happen overnight are asking for miracles and basically are longing for a centralised system. Because that is the only way this will be done quickly.

I also know that this will always be the case, so I'm not worried.

NEM, Nxt, good luck to both. Hopefully we will learn from each other. Maybe we'll both be obsolete by this time next year. I highly doubt that 2.0 will be obsolete by that time, so that's good enough for me. Smiley

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
devphp

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 12:36:24 PM

For the sake of simplicity, forget about BCNext. Either it's CfB who is the real BCNext or there is real BCNext but he just disappeared, we don't care. It's enough that CfB says he knows how to implement Transparent Forging in NXT, which can make it to process 100+ tx per second, and which is one the main features of NXT together with Assets Exchange, that's all that matters. And CfB said he will stay longer than 3rd of April, that's all that matters. I haven't seen any working implementation of NEM yet, that's all I know. When there is one and it's better than NXT, I'll be the first to say NEM beats NXT. For now NEM is just vaporware, not a single line of code, nothing to discuss.
JakeThePanda

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:31:19 PM

Promises very often look better than realization but I wish NEM the best, also Nxt. I am holder of both (if my Nem stake promise will be fulfilled).

Yes i have to agree. If NEM delivers all promises, then quite some time will have passed, and by that time, some killer features of NXT will be in existence. And at that moment, NEM will be one generation behind. I fear it will always be 1 generation behind.

I couldn't disagree more.  The fact that we are even having this conversation before NEM has launched anything tells me that if NEM launches something even close to comparable to NXT, it will pass NXT quickly.  You have to admit the community is quite huge for a coin that isn't close to launching yet. 
williamevanl

Activity: 404
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:32:20 PM

Promises very often look better than realization but I wish NEM the best, also Nxt. I am holder of both (if my Nem stake promise will be fulfilled).

Yes i have to agree. If NEM delivers all promises, then quite some time will have passed, and by that time, some killer features of NXT will be in existence. And at that moment, NEM will be one generation behind. I fear it will always be 1 generation behind.

I couldn't disagree more.  The fact that we are even having this conversation before NEM has launched anything tells me that if NEM launches something even close to comparable to NXT, it will pass NXT quickly.  You have to admit the community is quite huge for a coin that isn't close to launching yet. 

If (Big if!) Nem ever gets launched it will be the biggest initial dump in history. Everyone that wanted in was able to get in for basically nothing and the rest of us don't want anything to do with it.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 07:44:01 PM

I still have my cards on Nxt: because I am seeing lots of things happening and being developed and see the community taking responsibility and changing.
People who expect this to happen overnight are asking for miracles and basically are longing for a centralised system. Because that is the only way this will be done quickly.

Sorry to disillusion, but the on-again-off-again history of Etherium shows that centralization brings the opposite: the wheels of centralization grind s-l-o-w-l-y. It's interesting, psychologically, that so many people associate centralization with quick-time efficiency - the truth is typically counterintuitive. In another age, "centralization" = "turtle speed" would have been the intuitive conclusion.

Agree 100% on Nxt: I'm comfortably in the tank for it.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

ashapasa

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:50:27 PM

If (Big if!) Nem ever gets launched it will be the biggest initial dump in history. Everyone that wanted in was able to get in for basically nothing and the rest of us don't want anything to do with it.

You dont want anything to do with NEM is a fair statement. You cant speak for other people, please look at the waiting list thread of people wanting to join NEM lol.
BBmodBB

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 08:04:30 PM

I couldn't disagree more.  The fact that we are even having this conversation before NEM has launched anything tells me that if NEM launches something even close to comparable to NXT, it will pass NXT quickly.  You have to admit the community is quite huge for a coin that isn't close to launching yet.  

You dont want anything to do with NEM is a fair statement. You cant speak for other people, please look at the waiting list thread of people wanting to join NEM lol.

i'm going to at least wait till my logo is finished before i announce my IPO ! Wink haha

*BTCitcoin Wales Club*-- message me for details!--///\\\TELEKINETICS///\\can manipulate objects with their mind. Telekinesis is one of the basis of many superpowers that are based on "controlling/manipulating", it may evolve to the point that a Telekinetic can control anything at a subatomic level.
jkoil

Activity: 834
Merit: 524

Nxt NEM

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:46:51 PM

i'm going to at least wait till my logo is finished before i announce my IPO ! Wink haha

yea Smiley
Was it Neon, which had a chosen logo already in the first page of the announcement thread ...

BBmodBB

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 08:48:57 PM

yea Smiley
Was it Neon, which had a chosen logo already in the first page of the announcement thread ...

imho ~ compileing the boilerplate in engrish is the tuff part! Wink hahahehe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boilerplate_%28text%29

TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 10:42:03 PM

I couldn't disagree more.  The fact that we are even having this conversation before NEM has launched anything tells me that if NEM launches something even close to comparable to NXT, it will pass NXT quickly.  You have to admit the community is quite huge for a coin that isn't close to launching yet.  

How would that be even possible? If this project launches in 3 months, then NXT will be nearly 9 months old and will have an established asset exchange and a digital goods store. The network effect alone would be enough to overcome your better distribution AT START. Because right now, we have much more than 3000 stakeholders.

Prove me wrong, but don't argue with me about how your vaporware will beat our already launched projects...

Just take a look at mastercoin, i fear this project will turn out like MSC but with less money stolen obviously.

UTOPIAN is the keyword here Wink

Dreibhahn

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:51:57 PM

Why all these haters of NEM - are you afraid of NEM ?
NEM and NXT could widely coexist in my op.
The best could be to give both a real chance to grow and to establish.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: