Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:50:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Change of Algorithm to SHA-3 , Keccak , Scrypt-Jane N-Modified , X11 with POS
SHA-3 Keccak
Blake256
Scrypt-Jane N-Modified
X11 with POS
X11 without POS
Blake256 with POS

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [RESURRECTION] Taking Beecoin to the Hive Flying!MANDATORY Client Update!  (Read 24407 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:06:32 AM

With Blake i guess there is a chance that asics could seriously be developed since it is a single algo that is not memory hard. So although it looks like a very nice algo we need to think about it because we are moving from scrypt because of the asic issue.  

Running away from scrypt asics only because their price is absolutely ridiculous. Quoted from the link I posted:

The idea that ASIC resistance is important for crypto currencies has become widespread, however it is based on a fallacy.

If and when asics for blake256 are built, they will be much much more affordable, and asics are necessary for a coin in the long term. When a coin becomes popular, it gains a lot of attention; this prompts the asic manufacturers to spring into action and create asics for the "hot" algo, those asics in turn help secure the blockchain. Asics didn't kill BTC, and they won't kill LTC or DOGE either, but they will kill a ton of crap/shit coins due to pathetically low network hashrates. Beecoin currently doesn't have enough network hashrate to survive scrypt asics, so it's best to move to blake256 to avoid attacks and give the coin a chance to move forward and become popular enough to gain enough hashrate before blake256 asics are ever invented and released.

So the only reason to run from asics is because we have a pathetically low network hashrate right now, but once we have enough then there won't really be a need to run, plus we position BEE optimally so that when blake256 asics do arrive that a lot of miners will be able to continue to mine BEE by buying affordable asics instead of ridiculously expensive scrypt asics.

I see. It looks ideal for merged mining also in the future. I've not tried to mine a blake256 coin as yet on gpus...does it run cold like with qrk and x11. I hear it draws about 15% less than sha256 which i think is about 20% less than scrypt so perhaps a litte more draw than the chained algos. Although i've not tested it yet so just guessing there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZeroBarrier

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:20:48 AM

I see. It looks ideal for merged mining also in the future. I've not tried to mine a blake256 coin as yet on gpus...does it run cold like with qrk and x11. I hear it draws about 15% less than sha256 which i think is about 20% less than scrypt so perhaps a litte more draw than the chained algos. Although i've not tested it yet so just guessing there.

The link I posted says 3% less than sha256 and 14% less than scrypt, but I've never actually tested this myself as I do not have the right equipment to do so. The other cool aspect is that it hashes a ton faster than scrypt while still using less power to do so.
ZeroBarrier

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:40:23 AM

Finally, bee.updamoon.com is working as it should.  Cheesy
LongTDP

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 09:03:41 AM

I want blake256 with POS but I voted X11 with POS few days ago (because at that time, only X11 was having POS)
cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:52:33 PM

well soopy can change those votes for you for sure.

KSGuy

Activity: 429
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:01:36 PM

are there any working bee exchanges??
I checked the links in the OP, all down or not in english
cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:03:49 PM

are there any working bee exchanges??
I checked the links in the OP, all down or not in english

check allcoin but look in the LTC market the btc is closed since it dropped below 1 sat

GREEDYJOHN
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 02:45:03 AM

Why is the thread so quiet?

soopy452000
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1001

Founder - NavCoin Ⓝ

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 03:33:02 AM

All votes for Blake256 will be taken as blake256 with POS.

Working/Online Times
04:00:00 GMT - 12:00:00 GMT / 00:00:00 EDT - 08:00:00 EDT

Coin Developments & Contributions 1. SherlockCoin (SHC) (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=454981) 2. [RESURRECTION] Bringing Life to Growthcoin (GRW) , Community Backed Development! (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=469464) 3. [ANN][66][New Maintainer] ★Coin 66★ (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=493987) 4. [RE-ANN] Galaxycoin Revival!-FORK AT BLOCK 255145, KGW, RANDOM BLOCK REWARDS (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495693) 5. [RESURRECTION] Taking Astrocoin to the Moon,KGW Implemented + HARD FORK AT 17520 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=516549 6. [RESURRECTION] Bringing Electric back to the grid, Community Backed Development! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=514790
cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 03:36:46 AM

All votes for Blake256 will be taken as blake256 with POS.

thanks soopy... could i just ask if the choice was yours which would you say we should go with?

hacintosh

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 11:55:00 AM

Keep our faith, bees!
soopy452000
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1001

Founder - NavCoin Ⓝ

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 12:56:18 PM

A MADATORY CLIENT UPDATE

BeeCoin Wallet Updated to 0.6.4 to Fix Heartbleed Openssl Security Vulnerability

“A bug in OpenSSL, used by BeeCoin-Qt/Beecoin Core , could allow your beecoins to be stolen. Immediately updating BeeCoin Core to 0.6.4 is Mandatory."

http://www.mediafire.com/download/96rdu422cuv5d50/Beecoin_0.6.4_Windows_Wallet.zip

Working/Online Times
04:00:00 GMT - 12:00:00 GMT / 00:00:00 EDT - 08:00:00 EDT

Coin Developments & Contributions 1. SherlockCoin (SHC) (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=454981) 2. [RESURRECTION] Bringing Life to Growthcoin (GRW) , Community Backed Development! (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=469464) 3. [ANN][66][New Maintainer] ★Coin 66★ (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=493987) 4. [RE-ANN] Galaxycoin Revival!-FORK AT BLOCK 255145, KGW, RANDOM BLOCK REWARDS (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495693) 5. [RESURRECTION] Taking Astrocoin to the Moon,KGW Implemented + HARD FORK AT 17520 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=516549 6. [RESURRECTION] Bringing Electric back to the grid, Community Backed Development! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=514790
cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 01:25:46 PM

great news,

good to see our new beecoin developer soopy is fixing the heartbleed issue

thanks soopy Smiley

GREEDYJOHN
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:49:25 PM

I have updated my wallet now. Thanks

cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:55:46 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2014, 11:57:06 PM by cryptohunter

also guys keep voting on mintpal if you can .... we need to have a decent exchange ready for when beecoin is off an running well again.

I know a few of you have voiced concerns over the minting rising to 30bn and i kind of agree that it is diluting your holdings a little bit.

However POS is going to be essential for extra security to the chain.... the other option is to just have a very low interest rate on the pos... i kind of agree with this idea.

1. it does not need then lots of incoming buyers to hold the price stable.
2. it does not encourage hoarding
3. people who think high POS attracts investors are wrong these coins go up and down 50% in a day so 20% per year is nothing.

So we can remain at 24 billion with 1-2% inflation per year.

Please make your thoughts known on the subject since it does effect you personally.

Also let's start having some marketing ideas.... come on community i know you guys are waiting for algo changes etc... however let's see here who is seriously got some decent ideas for marketing or generally improving beecoins standing...

1. website.
2. android wallet
3. tip bots.
4..... come on let's have some ideas...

GREEDYJOHN
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:01:24 PM

also guys keep voting on mintpal if you can .... we need to have a decent exchange ready for when beecoin is off an running well again.

I know a few of you have voiced concerns over the minting rising to 30bn and i kind of agree that it is diluting your holdings a little bit.

However POS is going to be essential for extra security to the chain.... the other option is to just have a very low interest rate on the pos... i kind of agree with this idea.

3. people who think high POS attracts investors are wrong these coins go up and down 50% in a day so 20% per year is nothing.

Please make your thoughts known on the subject since it does effect you personally.

Also let's start having some marketing ideas.... come on community i know you guys are waiting for algo changes etc... however let's see here who is seriously got some decent ideas for marketing or generally improving beecoins standing...

1. website.
2. android wallet
3. tip bots.

We should already be at 12bn bees. adding 6bn to 24bn is not too much - most of the extra coins will be used to alter block reward scaling, for POS and BLOCK TAX.

We need BLOCK TAX, to fund GAMBLING GAMES, FAUCETS and even bee projects.

I feel that an initial HIGH POS of 20% that runs for 6 months, followed by a reduced POS will attract members.

Everybody wants something for free.

I disagree with you on your idea of POS. HIGH POS will result in hoarding - THIS MEANS THAT MEMBERS WILL PREFER TO HOLD ON TO THEIR COINS, TILL THEY EARN A HANDSOME INTEREST, RATHER THAN SELL THEM FOR PEANUTS.

HOARDING CAUSES SCARCITY, SCARCITY CAUSES PRICE TO SKY ROCKET - this is a good thing.

GREEDYJOHN
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:36:53 PM

GAMES AND GAMBLING to earn beecoins - these are better marketing tools than giveaway faucets.

A huge portion of the block tax should be used to fund games and gambling.

Is it possible to incorporate games into the beecoin-qt client?

cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 11:58:29 PM

GAMES AND GAMBLING to earn beecoins - these are better marketing tools than giveaway faucets.

A huge portion of the block tax should be used to fund games and gambling.

Is it possible to incorporate games into the beecoin-qt client?

not really possible and brings a lot of issues too.... well if you mean like huntercoin where the game earns coins etc.

cryptohunter
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 12:33:58 AM

1. website.
2. android wallet
3. tip bots.

We should already be at 12bn bees. adding 6bn to 24bn is not too much - most of the extra coins will be used to alter block reward scaling, for POS and BLOCK TAX.

We need BLOCK TAX, to fund GAMBLING GAMES, FAUCETS and even bee projects.

I feel that an initial HIGH POS of 20% that runs for 6 months, followed by a reduced POS will attract members.

Everybody wants something for free.

I disagree with you on your idea of POS. HIGH POS will result in hoarding - THIS MEANS THAT MEMBERS WILL PREFER TO HOLD ON TO THEIR COINS, TILL THEY EARN A HANDSOME INTEREST, RATHER THAN SELL THEM FOR PEANUTS.

HOARDING CAUSES SCARCITY, SCARCITY CAUSES PRICE TO SKY ROCKET - this is a good thing.

well the main thing is this... supply and demand... right now we have a ton of supply and no demand.

We need to create demand not supply.  Increasing 6BN is okay but it just creates 6BN more coin you need buyers for, and means each coin everyone has already is worth less. Really increasing 6BN makes peoples coins worth 25% less i guess since that is a quarter of the entire minting.

20% i don't think will attract new buyers... like i say you see a coin goes up 50% in a day will you keep it because you can make 20% in a year.

if they do hoard for the first year this could be worse in a way because no way can we afford to inflate 20% every year beecoins would be worth nothing, and then when the hoarders dump it will crash the market in a bad way.

Also changing the block scaling is only essential if we don;t add pos... if we are adding pos then that is not important.

How can we possibly think of 20% because that is nearly 6BN in just one year? that is all of the extra coins nearly .. then we have no more coins left for POS after that? we need many many years of POS payments so i suggest 1% max perhaps less, we will need to encourage ppl to keep their wallets open in other ways they are just for security anyway whilst we have miners, when we don;t have miners we need them to mint blocks.

If we want POS actually we will have to slash block reward smaller and just inflate 1% per year max. However we decide 20% is completely impossible for that in the first year alone will put us to 30BN then futher years even if we drop lower.... actual minting will run to tons of billions more than we said already.

That will make coins worthless. So much supply and no demand.

1. get beecoin on new algo if everyone wants this ...essential pos really unless totally changing block scaling. whatever this is just to secure the blockchain.
2. get some services and marketing to build demand

that is key.  

Of course everyone can vote this just my opinion, but increasing supply by 25% is very risky with no demand.... most coins try to sneaky reduce supply so peoples coins are worth more, we are thinking of making them worth less. This is not a good plan in my opinion. I thought  a few extra maybe 26B would may be a good idea before but the more i think about it there is a good reason why a lot of coins reduce their minting not increase.

Agree on the gamblling and games vs just giving away though for sure.

I guess soopy will need to know if he is to get on.... so we need more input as to whether increase the minting or keep it the same. We should not really decrease the minting because although it will make your coins worth more it could be seen as cheating new miners if not sticking to original rules. Maybe smooth out the minting a bit and perhaps 1bn extra max.

come on people have your say in the matter before it happens.

bluejean

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 01:18:22 AM

If I understand this right, POS interest would only be paid on coins kept in someone's wallet for a prescribed duration of time. With approximately 12 billion Bees already mined and lets say 5% first year interest...that would be 600 million Bees paid out in POS first year. At 1% it would be 120 million Bees paid out first year. These figures are if everyone pulls their Bees off of exchanges and transfers them to personal wallets. Then there would be no Bees for sale on exchanges...and we know this is not going to happen. Let's say half of the Bees (6 billion) mined so far end up in personal wallets collecting interest...at 5% it would be a first year payout of 300 million Bees and at 1% it would be 60 million Bees.

I'm ok with either one of these. If we do 5%...maybe do it first year only...then 1% every year after. I do agree 20% is too much. I originally thought it could sustain that for first year but I have changed my mind. I also don't think we need to increase the amount of Bees but decreasing the block reward would be okay. We would be making up for the reward decrease with POS. Halving the block rewards at same time as POS implementation would double the amount of time to mine the remaining coins and with POS miners should still be attracted.

Some people may pull their Bees from exchanges (not sure how many would do this) to take advantage of POS and this would make them rarer...possibly generating an up tick in price.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: