Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:24:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How long before Bitcoinica takes a permanent dirt nap?
Never: It's the greatest thing since sliced bread, tastes great and less filling with no bitter aftertaste.
By the end of the first week of February 2012.
By the end of the first week of April 2012.
By the end of the first week of July 2012.
Not long after the Yakuza has finally sold all their bitcoins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinica: When does it implode?  (Read 7153 times)
714 (OP)

Activity: 438
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:25:36 AM

Given recent events, what do you think lies in store for this brave if perhaps foolhardy effort?

⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣     C O M B O     ⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣
A leading provider of scaling solutions for Web3 game developers
|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 10:52:44 AM

Why would it implode?  Why are you spreading FUD?  Did you get short squeezed?
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 10:56:04 AM

do i hear a n00b crying?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
copumpkin
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 11:31:26 AM

Given recent events, what do you think lies in store for this brave if perhaps foolhardy effort?

You mean yours? I love how unbiased your poll options are. In other news, have you stopped beating your wife?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 12:07:36 PM

Never?

Why it should implode? Especially now that it is having huge success?

The fact that you cannot long what you want on them doesn't means they are "broken". It's like saying your internet connection is broken because you are limited in speed and you cannot download faster. Or the hard disk is broken because it only allow you to put 2TB of data on them (it's a 2TB one of course)

714 (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 12:15:30 PM

do i hear a n00b crying?

LOL, aren't you just precious? Only small-brained teenage dipshits use the term noob, much less spell it n00b. I suppose I should add a poll choice just for the mentally 12 and under and set. That would be 31337, wouldn't it kiddies?

|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 12:16:37 PM

umad?

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 12:20:55 PM

do i hear a n00b crying?

LOL, aren't you just precious? Only small-brained teenage dipshits use the term noob, much less spell it n00b. I suppose I should add a poll choice just for the mentally 12 and under and set. That would be 31337, wouldn't it kiddies?

he is crying!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
714 (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 12:35:57 PM

do i hear a n00b crying?

he is crying!

Sigmund Freud could cite you for providing such a clear example on your part of what he termed "projection". Are you a n00b, duhboy, or just born yesterday?

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 12:47:07 PM

do i hear a n00b crying?

he is crying!

Sigmund Freud could cite you for providing such a clear example on your part of what he termed "projection". Are you a n00b, duhboy, or just born yesterday?

how much did you lose? it must be alot cause you are crying alot!

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 12:58:13 PM

Somebody got liquidated.  Don't forget to take leverage into account when making your decisions, more leverage isn't always better. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
714 (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 01:00:00 PM

Never?

The fact that you cannot long what you want on them doesn't means they are "broken". It's like saying your internet connection is broken because you are limited in speed and you cannot download faster. Or the hard disk is broken because it only allow you to put 2TB of data on them (it's a 2TB one of course)

You obviously speak from a rich set of metaphors built from a broad life experience. I am awed by your attempt at reasoning. Awed.

Never mind that such an act by a licensed broker-dealer in the U.S. or U.K. could result in shutdown by the relevant regulatory agency. Of course, from the viewpoint of an investor in Bitcoinica it could certainly be construed as a technical act of bankruptcy, which would give them some out.

I don't know what the equivalent legal requirements would be in Singapore, would the operators of Bitcoinica be caned if they couldn't pay off the right officials?

zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 01:03:05 PM

Never?

You obviously speak from a rich set of metaphors built from a broad life experience. I am awed by your attempt at reasoning. Awed.

Never mind that such an act by a licensed broker-dealer in the U.S. or U.K. could result in shutdown by the relevant regulatory agency. Of course, from the viewpoint of an investor in Bitcoinica it could certainly be construed as a technical act of bankruptcy, which would give them some out.

I don't know what the equivalent legal requirements would be in Singapore, would the operators of Bitcoinica be caned if they couldn't pay off the right officials?

We don't have a fully developed money market in the Bitcoin world, so technically we're not equivalent to a brokerage in the real world. We're brokerage-like.

Also, being shut down is not equal to bankruptcy, at all. We are still making profits everyday and we are more solvent than ever.

The red flag is a promised thing at the very beginning.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 01:09:30 PM

Here's my question for Bitcoinica

Hypothetical: the majority (let's say 90%) of bitcoinica users are long in the market (buying) and are leveraged close to the max (let's say 4 to 1).

From where do the currency funds come to fill those leveraged orders?

Same hypothetical question for large HEAVILY LEVERAGED sell orders that come from the majority of bitcoinica members?

Could you clarify that you do indeed have deep pockets with lots of money and bitcoins to fund these scenarios?
If you don't, then what mechanisms are in place so the market can't leverage past the point of no more funds?

If there are no mechanism and limited funds then the only other option would be for a fractional reserve exchange,
in that case it would be an ethical choice to clarify it to your users.

What does this mean for bitcoinica's users if there are no mechanisms and limited funds?
It means that at some point the leveraged buys or sells do no influence the market the same as a 1:1 buy or sell.
Leveraged buys and sells would merely be "placing your bets" on what way the market will go without really participating.

I would really appreciate if you could address all this.

We can be a half bucket shop and half brokerage, but obviously that's not the right way.

Either way will result in criticisms, but I did the best I can do, and the right thing.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
714 (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 01:14:23 PM

Somebody got liquidated.  Don't forget to take leverage into account when making your decisions, more leverage isn't always better. 

Sure, more than once. I was surprised at how remarkably cheap it was to find out just how frail and poorly thought out the operation is, I've spent more on lunch at places where tipping isn't allowed. They are just so cute when they act like big boys, aren't they? Such grown-up little men, all swagger and affectation.

Seriously, I do give them credit for trying to do something, albeit not very well. They certainly wouldn't be the first bucket shop to go under.

anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 01:16:53 PM

Take your pick:

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Shashi Yakuza

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 06:32:27 PM

Hypothetical: the majority (let's say 90%) of bitcoinica users are long in the market (buying) and are leveraged close to the max (let's say 4 to 1).

Same hypothetical question for large HEAVILY LEVERAGED sell orders that come from the majority of bitcoinica members?

Could you clarify that you do indeed have deep pockets with lots of money and bitcoins to fund these scenarios?
If you don't, then what mechanisms are in place so the market can't leverage past the point of no more funds?

If there are no mechanism and limited funds then the only other option would be for a fractional reserve exchange,

What does this mean for bitcoinica's users if there are no mechanisms and limited funds?
It means that at some point the leveraged buys or sells do no influence the market the same as a 1:1 buy or sell.
Leveraged buys and sells would merely be "placing your bets" on what way the market will go without really participating.

We can be a half bucket shop and half brokerage, but obviously that's not the right way.

Either way will result in criticisms, but I did the best I can do, and the right thing.

Why did you repost this exchange without actually responding to the questions? Everyone always claims to do their best and to have done the "right thing". Claiming best effort doesn't establish the adequacy of effort in the eyes of others, and whatever you may have meant by the "right thing" remains completely undefined. For example, not getting your nuts cut off as a warning from a loan shark could be very right for you, but the outcome one way or the other might be of little interest to anyone else.

Are you running any of this by your lawyer before you publish it? You might at least get some guidance in avoiding inadvertently digging your operation even deeper into a credibility hole than it already is.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 06:57:12 PM

Why did you repost this exchange without actually responding to the questions? Everyone always claims to do their best and to have done the "right thing". Claiming best effort doesn't establish the adequacy of effort in the eyes of others, and whatever you may have meant by the "right thing" remains completely undefined. For example, not getting your nuts cut off as a warning from a loan shark could be very right for you, but the outcome one way or the other might be of little interest to anyone else.

Are you running any of this by your lawyer before you publish it? You might at least get some guidance in avoiding inadvertently digging your operation even deeper into a credibility hole than it already is.

You must be new here.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 06:59:38 PM

For example, not getting your nuts cut off as a warning from a loan shark could be very right for you, but the outcome one way or the other might be of little interest to anyone else.
Zhoutong is not afraid of loan sharks, Zhoutong IS a loan shark and has a nut collection to prove it.  Grin

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:15:24 PM

do i hear a n00b crying?

its 1337, you n00b

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: