Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:31:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][BMR] Bitmonero - a new coin based on CryptoNote technology - LAUNCHED  (Read 68738 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:04:56 PM

Crypto distribution is absurdly bad (most, even big ones like LTC, have ~50% of coins held in the top 100 wallets).
And yet, LTC is the most successful alt by far...
Because BTC distribution is even worse.

No, that doesn't explain it. If other cryptos have a "better" distribution than LTC, and this matters, they would be beating LTC. They are not.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:37:16 PM

Right now as we speak a prepared dev is making a coin and putting thought into implementing a proper fork for the community. . Better planning and community outreach would have spoke volumes. I am almost certain you are in this for a quick buck and could care less about the message and the technology. As people we imporve and innovate everything we produce, this shows neither.

There is no premine and there are linux and win64 binaries on release...

Those were pretty much already available. Innovation would have been beating the creators of Bytecoin to the OSX binary release, this alone would have attracted a pretty big base. This is among many other things would have really helped this along
Patejl

Activity: 532

You have eyes but can see Mt. Tai?!

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:54:57 PM

Isn't difficulty little higher? I still have no block with 15 H/s machine. :/

▄
                 ▄▄████████▄▄         ▄▄██
 ▄▄           ▄██▀▀        ▀▀██▄    ▄███▀
 ▀███▄▄     ▄█▀                ▀█▄▄█████▀
  ▀██████▄▄█▀                ▄▄███████▀
   ▐█████████▄           ▄▄███████████
     ▀█████████▄▄      ▄█████████████
       ▀██████████    ███████████████
        ▐▀█████████  █████████████▀ ▐▌
        ▐▌ ▀▀██████ ▐███████████▀   ▐▌
        ▐▌      ▀██ ▐█████████▀     ▐▌
         █        ▀  ██████         █
         ▐█          ▐█████▄       █▌
          ▀█▄         ▀██████▄   ▄█▀
            ▀█▄         ▀█████▌▄█▀
              ▀██▄▄       ▀▄▄██▀
                ▀▀████████▀▀
T
....ANGEL TOKEN....

▄
                 ▄▄████████▄▄         ▄▄██
 ▄▄           ▄██▀▀        ▀▀██▄    ▄█▀█▀ 
 ▀█▀█▄▄     ▄█▀                ▀█▄▄█  ▄█▀ 
  ▀█  ▀▀█▄▄█▀                ▄▄██░   █▀   
   ▐▄▄  ░░░▀█▄           ▄▄█▀▀░░░   ▄█     
     ▀█▄ ░░░▒▒█▄▄      ▄██▒▒▒▒▒░    █     
       ▀▄▄ ░░▒▒▒▓█    ██▒▒▒▒▒▒░   ▄▄█     
        ▐▀█▄░░▒▒▓██  █▓▒▒▒▒▒▒░  ▄█▀ ▐▌     
        ▐▌ ▀▀█▒▓███░▐█▓▒▒▒▒░░ ▄█▀   ▐▌     
        ▐▌      ▀██ ▐█▓▓▒▒▄▄▄█▀     ▐▌     
         █        ▀  █▓█▀▀█         █     
         ▐█          ▐▄▓░ █▄       █▌     
          ▀█▄         ▀█▒░ ▀█▄   ▄█▀       
            ▀█▄         ▀█▄▄▄█▌▄█▀         
              ▀██▄▄       ▀▄▄██▀           
                 ▀▀████████▀▀             

David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 08:19:00 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2014, 08:38:19 PM by David Latapie

I cannot compile for Arch/Manjaro Sad Bytecoin precompiled works perfectly and I changed nothing on my computer since yesterday

Edit: thanks to stickh3ad who sent me the precompiled ubuntu version over IRC - they work with Manjaro.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:20:58 PM

I cannot compile for Arch/Manjaro Sad Bytecoin precompiled works perfectly and I changed nothing on my computer since yesterday

Try these binaries
http://www.filedropper.com/bitmonerouxcompiledtar

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:21:27 PM

With 15 H/s block every hour or two should come in

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
creamynebula

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:21:57 PM

Can someone please look at the image and tell me if you know how to properly synchronize the blockchain?
I'm obviously not an expert, but from the messages it is outputting I would say its not working properly.
I just launched the daemon, nothing else.

tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:24:25 PM

Can someone please look at the image and tell me if you know how to properly synchronize the blockchain?
I'm obviously not an expert, but from the messages it is outputting I would say its not working properly.

type this command into daemon
Code:
set_log 1

this will let you see every time a new block is added to the chain
type help for other commands

Code:
the_darkness

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:37:52 PM

Your blockchain is still catching up to the current one. Note the ascending number beside "top block". Just leave it running for a while and it will finish up.
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 08:38:59 PM

How can I know my hashrate?

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Vilchaco

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:47:21 PM

Type show_hr on daemon Smiley
creamynebula

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:48:52 PM

Thank you both the_darkness and tacotime, it eventually indeed synchronized.

I have started mining but I cant find where is my hash rate displayed, I used "start_mining x" on the daemon, where x is the number of threads I have available.

Also, what is the simpleminer.exe? The bytecoin bundle didnt have such a file, and also there is no documentation about it.

edit: someone else asked about the hashrate, got it.
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:01:58 PM

There may be no pre-mine, but not a single step was taken to make this coin any more accessible than BCN. An easy GUI miner is super critical for early adoption, as is a cross-platform wallet that can be used out of the box. So now the only miners are the same few people willing to fuss around in the command line.

Next week I will start my own fork of Bytecoin - another coin based on CryptoNote technology. It will be started from scratch (from block zero). I will write an anouncement today ot [ANN] subforum. Emission schedule will be more flat and block target will be reduced to 60 sec.
If we're going to create a bcn derivative, I think we need to have a serious community discussion about possible changes and improvements in the next iteration.

The only community discussion this coin saw (regarding the reduced block time) the developer ignored outright. It was made pretty clear that moving to 60 second blocks was not the best approach and had zero long-term benefit.

... It's a valid point that shorter block times will increase a solo miner's chances of finding a block, but even with a cpu-only coin it's only a matter of time before pooling becomes a necessity. At that point the shorter block time yields no benefit to the miners, but you're still left with the additional orphan blocks and wasted work.

I'm also baffled as to why the developer was in such a hurry to get this coin out the door. I suppose he was trying to capitalize on BCN's trending popularity, but unfortunately the big picture was lost.  I thought the reason for this fork was that BCN had already been 80% mined, and that we could start fresh and make the coin more accessible to everyone from the beginning, while making improvements to BCN that its devs may not have forseen 2 years ago.  If that wasn't the reason for this fork, then my post should be disregarded.
sorryforthat

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:10:12 PM

I'm also baffled as to why the developer was in such a hurry to get this coin out the door. I suppose he was trying to capitalize on BCN's trending popularity, but unfortunately the big picture was lost.  I thought the reason for this fork was that BCN had already been 80% mined, and that we could start fresh and make the coin more accessible to everyone from the beginning, while making improvements to BCN that its devs may not have forseen 2 years ago.  If that wasn't the reason for this fork, then my post should be disregarded.

No one should disregard this comment. We can attempt to bring validity to all of this or start from scratch and bring forward a better directive with a message that stand true to the reason behind it all. This rush was uneeded and the only ones who will really care about this coin are the ones who wish to get quick on being the first to mine. If anyone wishes to produce a fork that has more focus and community orient I will be more than happy to support with donations to the cause, whether it be money or web support.
eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:22:15 PM

No one should disregard this comment. We can attempt to bring validity to all of this or start from scratch and bring forward a better directive with a message that stand true to the reason behind it all. This rush was uneeded and the only ones who will really care about this coin are the ones who wish to get quick on being the first to mine. If anyone wishes to produce a fork that has more focus and community orient I will be more than happy to support with donations to the cause, whether it be money or web support.

I suppose this can still work if the emissions curve is flat-ish like BTC (i.e. not as much advantage to early mining). And maybe if I hear the name often enough, I'll get over it. :\

Is there anyone with the skill to implement a GUI?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:36:12 PM

There are certainly people with the skill, and most of the GUI code can be ripped pretty easily from bitcoin-qt. The question is how to motivate someone to actually do it.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:37:29 PM

I suppose this can still work if the emissions curve is flat-ish like BTC (i.e. not as much advantage to early mining).

My recollection from reviewing the code changes is that the emissions should be about 1/4 the speed of bytecoin.

Not much advantage to early mining is relative though. Perhaps you have heard about Satoshi's 1m+ bitcoins?

David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 09:37:58 PM

What? 0.9 hr! I can't believe it is so low! I have an i5-3337U (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2441). I can't other CPU are 15 times more powerful. Is there something wrong here?

tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:40:15 PM

I suppose this can still work if the emissions curve is flat-ish like BTC (i.e. not as much advantage to early mining). And maybe if I hear the name often enough, I'll get over it. :\

We need a pool server first, obviously I can do the guiminer when we have that using simpleminer as the miner.

Code:
sorryforthat

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:49:28 PM

There are certainly people with the skill, and most of the GUI code can be ripped pretty easily from bitcoin-qt. The question is how to motivate someone to actually do it.

I will work on a GUI when I get home from work. I would much rather have a refork if thats even possible. We have alot fo discuss.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: