Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:36:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][BMR] Bitmonero - a new coin based on CryptoNote technology - LAUNCHED  (Read 68738 times)
Vilchaco

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:07:37 PM

I suppose this can still work if the emissions curve is flat-ish like BTC (i.e. not as much advantage to early mining). And maybe if I hear the name often enough, I'll get over it. :\

Is there anyone with the skill to implement a GUI?

We need a pool server first, obviously I can do the guiminer when we have that using simpleminer as the miner.

It would be great an associate pool with minergate for merged mining ^^
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 10:18:17 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2014, 12:29:39 AM by David Latapie

I just wrote a tutorial. Here it is for your perusal. I hope it will help.

Linux tutorial
(but should be very close for other platforms)

Summary:
Two terminals, once for the daemon and one for the wallet and mining
• terminal 1:
Code:
./bitmonerod
• terminal 2:
Code:
./simplewallet --generate-new-wallet=name_of_my_wallet.bin
(first time)
Code:
./simplewallet --wallet-file=name_of_my_wallet.bin
(next times)

Get the precompiled binaries
Windows
Mac
Linux
you can also compile from source (I was not able to do so on Manjaro Linux, but the Ubuntu precompiled work flawlessly)

Open two terminals
For each terminal be sure to go to the folder where you have you binaries (on a graphical interface, the fastest way it to drag-and-drop a file from the file manager then remove the name of the file to have only the folder)

On terminal 1, type this command
Code:
./bitmonerod
Let it sync, it will be MUCH faster than bytecoin, since it is one day old (bytecoin is two years old)
That's all. Don't close (once the daemon is active, you can use show_hr to get your hashrate or  set_log 1/2/3 to change the verbosity of the logs). If you close the daemon whilst you are mining, mining will stop (obviously) and if you open the daemon again the mining won't resume (you must use the start_mining command on the wallet for that)

On terminal 2, type this command:
Code:
./simplewallet --generate-new-wallet=name_of_my_wallet.bin
(I am not sure .bin is necessary)
You will be prompted for a password. Be careful, you won't have to type a confirmation so beware of typos!
Close the wallet with the "exit" command.

Now type this command:
Code:
./simplewallet --wallet-file=name_of_my_wallet.bin
and enter your password. If you forgot your password or mistyped it at creation time, delete every file starting with name_of_my_wallet.bin and start over. Every bitmonero would be lost forever, that's why it is important that you do it just after the creation, before any mining.

Mining
And now the good stuff: mining!
Since the wallet is also the miner, enter this:
Code:
start_mining x
where x is your number of threads (use nproc on linux to know it - should work on Mac too; on Windows, either get a utility for this or use this formula: number of CPU (usually 1) time number of cores time 2 (if no support for Hyperthread, remove the *2)
Or course, you don't have to use all your threads (especially if you are using your computer for something else)
Unfortunately, on my machine/OS, I cannot mine on more than one thread at a time. I don't know if it is my machine or my OS.(deleted the blockchain and resynchronized, works now)

By the way: if you want to know your hashrate, type show_hr in bitmonerod. And if you want to change the amount of  information in the daemon, use  set_log 1 (least info) to  set_log 3 (max info)

How can you know that you are actually mining? Check you CPU usage :-) If it less than 80% chances are you are not mining.

I hope this tutorial will prove useful

Edit: I've been suggested to add my address, so here it is:
Code:
46ctfLBhgyzJm61oTtDfu9GbVhG7ito4fNiQjdZcB5bL3mz5ejQrPD29uEkDHFzCVTHGFqAdG456w6ivYp7K23SiGREUiQe

(by the way, this coin is welcome breath of fresh air after the agressiveness and, dare I say, stupidity of the Blackcoin thread)

Thanks to tacotime for the Ubuntu binaries (I could not compile on Arch) and Vilchaco for the show_hr trick.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:22:37 PM

I suppose this can still work if the emissions curve is flat-ish like BTC (i.e. not as much advantage to early mining). And maybe if I hear the name often enough, I'll get over it. :\

Is there anyone with the skill to implement a GUI?

We need a pool server first, obviously I can do the guiminer when we have that using simpleminer as the miner.

It would be great an associate pool with minergate for merged mining ^^

I'm looking at the source code for bytecoin now, it looks like it has everything it needs to do getblocktemplate as in bitcoin using the RPC server that bytecoind spins at 127.0.0.1:18081.  Going to look over eloipool now.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
DuvajBalone

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:21:35 PM

why is hashrate lower than bytecoin? while mining bytecoin I have about 5.6H/s and with bitmonero 3.4
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:53:45 PM

why is hashrate lower than bytecoin? while mining bytecoin I have about 5.6H/s and with bitmonero 3.4

Not sure, could be the windows binaries are just slow if those are what you're using

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:55:36 PM

People who want to query the RPC server, you can do so with curl:

Code:
curl -X POST http://127.0.0.1:18081/json_rpc -d '{"jsonrpc":"2.0","id":"test","method":"getblockheaderbyheight","params":{"height":100}}' -H "Content-Type: application/json" -H "Accept:application/json"

Change the stuff after "-d" to whatever from the wiki:
https://wiki.bytecoin.org/wiki/JSON_RPC_API

If you want to use curl, then convert it to compact:
http://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/

Code:
David Latapie

Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 11:57:31 PM

Do you get "Error: refresh failed: daemon is busy. Please try later. Blocks received: 0" all the time? It was not the case some hours ago. I restarted the daemon and the wallet many times.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:10:06 AM

I don't have this issue (mining on Windows 7). It starts low and ramps up over a few minutes. Is 3.4 your stable hash rate or just the initial?
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:23:29 AM

So we have everything in place needed for pools
basically

getblocktemplate (HTTP JSON server) --> block header blob --> miners
increment block header blob with
Code:
++(*((uint32_t*)&job.blob.data()[39]));
miners submit blob and block header hash back to server
server submits to network using submitblock
server pays proportional based on shares per round

Code:
DuvajBalone

Activity: 137

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:28:07 AM

I don't have this issue (mining on Windows 7). It starts low and ramps up over a few minutes. Is 3.4 your stable hash rate or just the initial?
I am on win 8.1, 3.4-3.6 stable with 6 threads. 6 threads on bytecoin 5.6 when solo, and about 4.2 when using minergate.
sussex

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:38:47 AM

Ok, got the miner up and running and just found a block  Grin How long until it shows in my balance? Is there a command to find out?

Or, is there a problem because immediately after finding the block I got this message from bitmonerod:

Some problems at write: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

I've googled it, but can only find out it's a winsock issue (I think).

Any ideas?Huh?
eizh

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:40:38 AM

Ok, got the miner up and running and just found a block  Grin How long until it shows in my balance? Is there a command to find out?

Or, is there a problem because immediately after finding the block I got the message:

Some problems at write: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Any ideas?Huh?

Wait a while and type refresh in your simplewallet terminal. It should show up unless it was an orphaned block.
sussex

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:44:08 AM

Ok, got the miner up and running and just found a block  Grin How long until it shows in my balance? Is there a command to find out?

Or, is there a problem because immediately after finding the block I got the message:

Any ideas?Huh?

Wait a while and type refresh in your simplewallet terminal. It should show up unless it was an orphaned block.

Brilliant, worked a treat, thanks  Grin

All this command line stuff is stopping me posting inane drivel, so everyone should be pleased..... Cheesy
eizh

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 08:40:30 AM

Twice I've seen stuff about alternate blockchains and successful "reorganizations" in the daemon. Is this common in all cryptocurrencies but simply hidden behind the GUI? Or is this coin particular prone to forking?
sussex

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 08:48:06 AM

Twice I've seen stuff about alternate blockchains and successful "reorganizations" in the daemon. Is this common in all cryptocurrencies but simply hidden behind the GUI? Or is this coin particular prone to forking?

Am I suffering a similar problem, if it is a problem?

I was getting blocks ok, but now all I see is "Block added as alternative" messages.

What does this mean?

As usual, nothing about this on google.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:02:22 AM

Coins with faster blocks are much more prone to forking.

Satoshi picked ten minutes not because he wanted to annoy people by making them wait for their transactions but because he looked at latencies across a large network and concluded that 10 minutes was the smallest number that also kept chain forks to a minimum.

thankful_for_today (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:53:45 PM

Am I suffering a similar problem, if it is a problem?

I was getting blocks ok, but now all I see is "Block added as alternative" messages.

What does this mean?

As usual, nothing about this on google.

This isn't a problem and you aren't suffering from this unless you have mined block that gone to alternative branch. In the later case (you mined block but somebody else mined two blocks in the different branch) you loose your block reward.

This logic is the same in all currencies and in Bitcoin also. 10 minutes were choosen 5 years ago. Now 1 minute is a reasonable minimum. It makes chain to react faster on any changes and gives more chances to solo miners. In currencies with gui wallets you don't read logs normally. If you will you can find reorganize events and lternative chains.

Vote for BitMonero on Comkort exchange: https://comkort.com/vote
BTC: 1F1Ryrc2gvJQsVNTS5xvCxKugMjvbFRzX4
thankful_for_today (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:58:41 PM

Do you get "Error: refresh failed: daemon is busy. Please try later. Blocks received: 0" all the time? It was not the case some hours ago. I restarted the daemon and the wallet many times.

Say "save" to bitmonerod console. This is a small bug in rpc handling.

thankful_for_today (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 01:22:58 PM

There is a lot of issues with GUI to talk about. I propose to meet in Irc at 20GMT today. Is this time good?

I have some budget we can spend to motivate GUI developers:
1.000.000 BCN and 400 BMR.

Anybody can contribute some coins also for this purpose.

x0rcist

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 02:16:42 PM

There is a lot of issues with GUI to talk about. I propose to meet in Irc at 20GMT today. Is this time good?

You are more then welcome to join us at freenode / #bitmonero Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: