Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:06:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][BMR] Bitmonero - a new coin based on CryptoNote technology - LAUNCHED  (Read 68738 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 10:44:37 PM

Fork would be good. This (Bitmonero) and the other "HoneyPenny" sound both terrible. We need a good Cryptonote based coin that has probably a preannouncement, no premine or at least honest premine, websites registered before launch and a good name like Bitnote or sth. If someone is to create a new fork with these things in mind, I'm supporting.

Bitmonero is fine in terms of no premine, slow mining rewards, etc. I wouldn't have changed the block target, but its not a big deal.

If we fork it we should just change the name (and make sure we own the domains).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 10:59:07 PM

what about bitmone.ro , or bitmonero.net ....?
Whatever the name change, it should not be discussed on a forum.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 11:09:34 PM

Services still needed:
- Official exchange
- Pool and open source pool software
- GUI wallet
- Faucet

I will try to work on GUI as I have time, I'm getting back into doing stuff for MC2

Add website to the list. It's a "service" in a way. HoneyPenny even has one (http://honeypenny.org/). Cheesy

Sombody registered the domain names bitmonero.com and bitmonero.org just yesterday. If it wasn't the OP he screwed up big time and we should just do an immediate code fork to rename it to something where we control the domain names.

what about bitmone.ro , or bitmonero.net ....?

The problem with all these variants is the issue of hijacking and confusion. If you don't own the main names, someone else does, and that's a problem.

I agree it makes no sense to discuss the new name on a public forum, but if there is agreement on moving forward with a new name then it should be discussed in private among those interested in helping to choose one.
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 11:12:49 PM

Sent you a PM Smooth
eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 11:16:17 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2014, 12:50:14 AM by eizh

Fork would be good. This (Bitmonero) and the other "HoneyPenny" sound both terrible. We need a good Cryptonote based coin that has probably a preannouncement, no premine or at least honest premine, websites registered before launch and a good name like Bitnote or sth. If someone is to create a new fork with these things in mind, I'm supporting.

It had a pre-ann and no premine. One could argue launching without a GUI wallet was a poor idea but you can't actually trade with this currency yet. All you can do is mine to secure the network and that's overwhelmingly done by command line in all altcoins (cgminer, sgminer, etc.).

Repeatedly relaunching isn't going to accomplish anything. This coin solved two of the most pressing issues: BCN's 80% mining in the deep web and BCN's extremely fast emission schedule. It also proved its worth by fixing the blockchain bug in BCN's latest release and acquiring 120k difficulty (equivalent to 240k in BCN) just a few days after launch.

That said, I'd be in favor of a renaming. Bitmonero sounds alright after you hear it enough times, but there are more appealing names to English and Chinese speakers, who together form 90% of the market. No relaunch needed. All it would involve is renaming some files since no CN coin is actually on an exchange and we don't have a website.

BitNote would actually be a great name -- it simultaneously shows affinity with CryptoNote from the name similarity and continues the proud ByteCoin tradition of having the same name as a dead coin (BNT: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=420341.0). We'd be BTN, of course. Grin
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 11:19:51 PM

Read this from honeypenny https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=577267.msg6329851#msg6329851

Either commitment (good) or scam (not good).

Considering how premine (which is supposed to go in the same direction) is considered in the cryptocircles, this initiative may be unsucessfull. Anyway, interesting to read.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 11:26:02 PM

The problem with all these variants is the issue of hijacking and confusion. If you don't own the main names, someone else does, and that's a problem.

I agree it makes no sense to discuss the new name on a public forum, but if there is agreement on moving forward with a new name then it should be discussed in private among those interested in helping to choose one.

Again, using any ICANN sanctioned domain is pointless because the domain can be seized and the coin can be maliciously forked.
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 11:27:45 PM

Again, using any ICANN sanctioned domain is pointless because the domain can be seized and the coin can be maliciously forked.
Do you know any non-ICANN sanctionned domain name that the general public can have access to?

Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:02:57 AM

Do you know any non-ICANN sanctionned domain name that the general public can have access to?

The bigger question is, what is the best way to distribute binaries that would safeguard against malicious takeovers? At this point I don't really have an answer that would be scalable. But I do think we need to get out of the habit of hosting binaries on dot org sites, especially when it pertains to privacy focused cryptos.
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 12:06:10 AM

The bigger question is, what is the best way to distribute binaries that would safeguard against malicious takeovers? At this point I don't really have an answer that would be scalable. But I do think we need to get out of the habit of hosting binaries on dot org sites, especially when it pertains to privacy focused cryptos.

Upload it on datacoin blockchain Wink
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:07:01 AM

The purpose of a web site at this point is to distribute information, to server as a convenient point of reference for resources such as pools, exchanges, this or another forum, etc.

Binaries, who knows. Any method has its issues.

Once the coin is more established the web site isn't needed as much, because the various resources will be known directly.

Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:14:18 AM

Ultimately the point I was trying to get across was that we should give a coin the best name possible, regardless of what TLDs are available.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:39:06 AM

Wow, difficulty is going sky high today
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:50:33 AM

Thanks to your trade yesterday giving it some initial seed value Wink
eizh

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:52:34 AM

I wonder if the $2.50 I paid for that 100 BMR is worth more than the electricity it cost to mine that much. Tongue

Higher difficulty is great. Fewer coins for us, but widespread distribution is the cornerstone of functioning exchange medium.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:56:30 AM

I wonder if the $2.50 I paid for that 100 BMR is worth more than the electricity it cost to mine that much. Tongue

Higher difficulty is great. Fewer coins for us, but widespread distribution is the cornerstone of functioning exchange medium.

More auctions coming. I plan to continue running auctions on these coins until there are good exchanges.

Doing a BCN auction right now. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=577308.msg6328204#new

I also have an OTC exchange thread for BMR, but no one has used it yet: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=578192.0
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 01:32:19 AM

We can just rename it too, like what was done with PeerCoin.  Some kind of monero or esperanto derivative.

So far the initial distribution is very good -- reminds me a lot of Litecoin.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
eizh

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 01:57:17 AM

We can just rename it too, like what was done with PeerCoin.  Some kind of monero or esperanto derivative.

So far the initial distribution is very good -- reminds me a lot of Litecoin.

I agree, we have a good thing going here. My earlier mention of network difficulty being 120k needs to be updated -- it's 191k as of an hour ago (equivalent to 380k BCN). This shows significant interest. The parameters are solid so the only sensible thing to change is the name, which can be done easily at this stage. Maybe TFT did acquire those domains and we're good to go...

Also, I believe you said solo mining becomes hard at diff = 250k with a single CPU? We're almost there already. A pool implementation may be needed sooner than thought.
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:24:53 AM

Difficulty = 210k.  Cry
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 03:17:30 AM

Difficulty still skyrocketing. At this rate BMR may pass BCN within the next day or so.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: