Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:42:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You guys need a reality check  (Read 9477 times)
Edward50 (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 06:58:19 PM

I see too much blind optimism. Everyone thinks bitcoins will rise to the moon again.

Remember some points.

1) Bitcoins are as useless now as they ever were

2) Bitcoins are not a commodity, they are not consumed. Everyone who bought on the way up, needs to eventually sell them.

3) The market is very tiny, and is growing slowly at best.

4) 5,000-7000 new bitcoins come into existence every single day.

5) Most people sit with bitcoins on a rally, but eventually it will stall and they will start selling. This will push the price back down.

6) Obvious signs of price manipulation for the pushes. Is it someone using the push, rinse and repeat strategy playing on many of blind optimist suckers?

7) Now that the price has been potentially manipulated higher, will the manipulators keep shelling out their cash to try and hold the price high?

Cool Anybody who wants bit coins already owns a substantial number of these useless coins. Will they keep buying more to help maintain a high price? Who are the new suckers coming into the market now and buying them?

9) Market depth supporting the now $5.00 price is looking very weak on mt. gox.

10) Last but not least, who the hell is stupid enough to pay $5.00 now for a bitcoin?

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:00:28 PM

You need a life.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:07:27 PM

I agree with OP.

There's some good media hype and some interesting new projects/developments lately, but have you seen the spread shift on Gox Live?

Notice the slope of the asks on Gox Live versus the slope of the bids which is largely comprised of huge bid walls.  There are like 5 people truly supporting the price right now while the rest of the "bulls" follow in their footsteps.  Bullishness seems down quite a bit from the New Years rally.  We have a market of pseudo-bulls.

Prices may cross over $5 again and up toward $6, but it's speculation speculation speculation.  
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:07:51 PM

I remember in like 1992 I was 12 or 13 years old, my mom was taking some "computer applications" evening class at a community college, and I went with her sometimes.  It was really fun for me because the student worker lab guy had all the comps in the lab networked together, and had a hidden directory where Wolfenstein was installed on each one.  So he'd deathmatch with me when he had free time (which was about 100% of the time I was there).
He told me really neat stories... one in particular stood out all these years:  I saw him sending an email, wondered what it was, so he told me of this thing called the Internet, where people could talk with each other all over the planet, anytime, free(ish), any distance.  I asked him why all my friends that have computers didn't know about the Internet, and he replied "well dude they're probably not as geeky as I am".  I asked him if he thought they would ever be and he said, "I have no way of knowing, but I can say only this:  They are faced with a choice between protecting false dignity now, and reaping wild success later".

Those words impacted me like few others.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:20:55 PM

I just bought some. So I could buy something with them. Useless eh? pfft.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:21:25 PM

Cool Anybody who wants bit coins already owns a substantial number of these useless coins. Will they keep buying more to help maintain a high price? Who are the new suckers coming into the market now and buying them?

New hype means new users. Just picture 1 million people in the would buying only 1 Bitcoin each.

I saw him sending an email, wondered what it was, so he told me of this thing called the Internet, where people could talk with each other all over the planet, anytime, free(ish), any distance.  I asked him why all my friends that have computers didn't know about the Internet, and he replied "well dude they're probably not as geeky as I am".  I asked him if he thought they would ever be and he said, "I have no way of knowing, but I can say only this:  They are faced with a choice between protecting false dignity now, and reaping wild success later".

Those words impacted me like few others.

Exactly my sig.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:22:50 PM

This is the same information that has been detailed by many others yet the price has gone up. The price also went up in the spring when the same information applied as much, and if not more. Who the hell was stupid to buy at $10, at $20, at $25? Who? A whole lot of people.

We are clearly in a correction now, it is not doomsday yet.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:23:17 PM

When bitcoin hit $0.5 for the first time I guess there was a topic just like that, adjusted by a factor of 10. Now nobody beileves bitcoins at 0.2 are reality anymore, just because the financial power of the group of people investing into BTC has grown.

Will it stay the same tomorrow? Grow tenfold? Noone knows for sure, but right now the userbase is still pretty small (I'd say at ~1000 active investors) and I see it definitely growing to 10-20 thousand people actively trading at mtgox this year.

i am satoshi
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 08:33:59 PM

Op spotted a downtrend.

Be humble!
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 08:35:32 PM

Op spotted a downtrend.

+1 and thankfully I did too, recouped some losses from a quick short position

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 08:36:37 PM

Op spotted a downtrend.

The downtrend was already happening and was an expected correction anyway. There had been a huge sell off already when this was posted. =)
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 08:38:45 PM

Some blind optimism.

http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2011/12/10-most-anticipated-bitcoin-projects.html

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 08:41:47 PM

I was sleeping, literally.

I only earned 4 btc from this downtrend. Looking forward to wednesday and thursday

Be humble!
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 09:02:23 PM

Okay Mommy! I won't let the bad BitCoin men take advantage of me.  Roll Eyes

Aren't we all adults here (well mostly)?  I don't think we need to be babysat!

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2012, 09:48:25 PM

omg! he's right! bitcoins are stupid, stupid bitcoins  Angry
 Lips sealed

Edward50 send me your coins all send you something useful..

would you like:
cigarettes?
or maybe ... a butt plug?   Wink

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 10:22:19 PM

I see too much blind optimism. Everyone thinks bitcoins will rise to the moon again.

Remember some points.

A few days ago I got paid a few thousand dollars by someone overseas. Happened instantly, with no fee, no delay, and at 11pm in the evening.

Bitcoin is a useless as the automobile.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 08:17:25 AM

except that Bitcoins cannot be created at will while USD....... are being created with ever increasing speed.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 08:28:12 AM

Remember some points.

A few days ago I got paid a few thousand dollars by someone overseas. Happened instantly, with no fee, no delay, and at 11pm in the evening.

Bitcoin is a useless as the automobile.
To clarify your example, you'd need to mention that the automobile is electric and you live in the country.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 09:03:03 AM

I am optimistic now simply because the price held at $2.50 for so long.  Which means, it's not likely to go lower than that.

At $2.50/coin, with 7200 coins generated daily, people believe in Bitcoins enough to inject $18,000/day into the system.  That's a significant amount of money, and I don't think it's just one person, or just a few people.  Pure speculation on my part, but I don't see a system viewed as failed being propped up for this long by this much money by less than a dozen people, and more likely, it is propped up by hundreds.

Then, you look at the future.  We are now less than a year away from mining rewards being cut in half.  As we get closer to that point in time, we will have more and more assurance that the value of Bitcoin has only one way to move, assuming that same $18,000/day injection.

I think $2.50 really was the rock bottom.  There are too many people who believe in Bitcoin and want, badly, to see it succeed, for it to fail completely.  It might forever be a niche item, but that niche will always be there.  And so far, no one has come even close to overturning Bitcoins as the go-to product for the niche.

This is all just my opinion, of course.  Wink
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 09:11:20 AM

Remember some points.

What kind of person wastes time on forums about things they think are fundamentally useless?

Psst... also, not all commodities are consumed. Hint: think metals.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: